Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Sell the Stadium?

How would people feel if the stadium was sold (to someone like Tescos, Ikea etc.) to clear the debts and give millions for new players, and move to a new council funded stadium near to say Trowse?  

One of the reasons we fill Carrow Road is because it is a top stadium... a lower-premiership club stadium, with one of the best attendance percentages in British Football. Massive income from tickets and season ticket holders... no... just no...

It would all but kill the club for myself and no doubt many others if we went to an out of City lego stadium!

Carrow Road is perfect because its only walking distance from the City centre, not far from the ring road, just down the road from the train station, is close to the riverside development and has the space to be made at least 10000 seats bigger if we ever could afford to do it!

Basically Carrow Roads right in the heartland and is the ideal location for the clubs stadium!

[quote user="Lincs CR"]One of the reasons we fill Carrow Road is because it is a top stadium... a lower-premiership club stadium, with one of the best attendance percentages in British Football. Massive income from tickets and season ticket holders... no... just no...[/quote]

The location of Carrow Road is ideal, 2 minute walk from the city centre, close to public transport and a good veriety of bars, pubs, entertainment venues alongside the riverside. I have been to over half the away grounds in the Championship and none of them come close to Carrow Road in terms of ground location, easily one the best football venues outside of the Premiership.

No, no and no.

I am not that knowledgeable about planning but if the old Woolies site can''t be turned into Asda home and living, for fear of traffic congestion, you can bet your life another large shop won''t pass their restrictive criteria either.

But let''s suppose they sold the stadium for redevelopment. What price would they achieve and what extra cost would have to be found to rebuild somewhere else? A football stadium is only really of use for football, or say a music venue. To build Tescos or similar it would have to be demolished. Therefore those costs would come off anything the club realises in a sale.

As for a new venue. Trowse, er no. Trowse is a small village. Imagine a few thousand cars going there for matchdays, think a few of the locals might object to that one, and therefore if any land there did exist (off the top of my head can''t think where you could build anyway) it would take years to go through all the stages of public enquiry, and to say nothing of the loss of public goodwill towards the club in the process.

As for council funded, don''t think so. And why would they want to? Who on earth would vote a council in who were likely to do that. Not me.

Unless a huge investment is secured by the club it will be staying exactly where it is. Even if planning permission and an adequate site is realised in the future it would take years to build and simply the club, as it is now, isn''t going to benefit from such a proposal.

How many pints have you had Tom, This is not a sobar mans thought is it now, Keep taking the pills The doctor will be around soon

[quote user="pete_norw"]How many pints have you had Tom, This is not a sobar mans thought is it now, Keep taking the pills The doctor will be around soon[/quote]

just sums it up!!!   what mess we really are in, even talking about it is sad.... but this all thanks to our board!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]No, no and no. I am not that knowledgeable about planning but if the old Woolies site can''t be turned into Asda home and living, for fear of traffic congestion, you can bet your life another large shop won''t pass their restrictive criteria either. But let''s suppose they sold the stadium for redevelopment. What price would they achieve and what extra cost would have to be found to rebuild somewhere else? A football stadium is only really of use for football, or say a music venue. To build Tescos or similar it would have to be demolished. Therefore those costs would come off anything the club realises in a sale. As for a new venue. Trowse, er no. Trowse is a small village. Imagine a few thousand cars going there for matchdays, think a few of the locals might object to that one, and therefore if any land there did exist (off the top of my head can''t think where you could build anyway) it would take years to go through all the stages of public enquiry, and to say nothing of the loss of public goodwill towards the club in the process. As for council funded, don''t think so. And why would they want to? Who on earth would vote a council in who were likely to do that. Not me. Unless a huge investment is secured by the club it will be staying exactly where it is. Even if planning permission and an adequate site is realised in the future it would take years to build and simply the club, as it is now, isn''t going to benefit from such a proposal.[/quote]

Other councils have helped clubs fund new stadiums and provide the land, and the football trust provide millions towards new stadiums. The council could own the new stadium and lease it to the club or have a part share towards the running costs. As to the value of the stadium at Carrow Rd, it is probably into the tens of millions.

As a location, I only mentioned Trowse just as an example as I was thinking of land near Broadland biz park and there are plans to improve the junction and have a northern ring road. The railway line isn''t far from there so could perhaps put in a small station near the park and ride that links to Norwich central?

[quote user="Lincs CR"]One of the reasons we fill Carrow Road is because it is a top stadium... a lower-premiership club stadium, with one of the best attendance percentages in British Football. Massive income from tickets and season ticket holders... no... just no...[/quote]

A new stadium could be bigger and better, pay off debts, and provide funds to sign players.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

A new stadium could be bigger and better, pay off debts, and provide funds to sign players.

[/quote]

we wouldnt be in this mess if it wasnt for our stupid board, carrow road is our home, and this needs to be the last option!

I have been saying this for years. The future is purpose built multi use out of town stadia. We have the advantage of having a prime development site which a potential developer may want in exchange for funding a new 30000-40000 seater stadium. Most big clubs have done this improving access and other associated facilities. 

There are so many reasons i cant see this ever happening, the Council has just lost lots of money from the investments in Iceland and cant organise p**s up in brewery in any case even if the funds were avaliable. I also heard the use of the Big W as an Asda was rejected as it was to close to Morrisons which would probably mean that Carrow Rd would be unsuitable as a Tesco. The housing market is not great so the development of the site wont have that high of value on it either at this momment in time.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

and how are you going to fund a stadium??? carrow road is only worth the land to a developer, not enough to build and new one with and with the glut of flats NOT being built on the riverside land who would build it? to you think tesco would buy it next to a morrisions, and beside the council would never let it happen

now if only the idiots at city hall had`nt invested in the icelantic banks, at £17m (i think?) could have bought carrow road for the council, protecting the ground and club, and not wasting the money, the people of norwich would then have the money safe, a small income from rent and the club could buy it back WHEN (not if) we are back in the premiership!

Millions in debt, no stadium to call our own, no team to call our own and in the third tier of football.We would die laughing if it happened to Ipswich wouldn''t we?

[quote user="tom cavendish"]How would people feel if the stadium was sold (to someone like Tescos, Ikea etc.) to clear the debts and give millions for new players, and move to a new council funded stadium near to say Trowse?  [/quote]

Testing the water.....or breaking us in, gently?

How about building a new Stadium at Colney, combined with facilities to stage Concerts might that be a money earner ? It would be near to the A11 and close to the Railway. Norwich lacks a concert venue with enough seats to enable better class acts to be staged at viable prices. Carrow road can not stage events due to the noise issue, the Theatre Royal is to small to attract anything popular. Look at the success of concerts staged at Holkham Hall, Blickling Park and Thetford Forrest etc our club could be earning money during the close season.

the idea of moving grounds is as bad as suggesting changing our nickname....seriously

[quote user="John Morlar"]How about building a new Stadium at Colney, combined with facilities to stage Concerts might that be a money earner ? It would be near to the A11 and close to the Railway. Norwich lacks a concert venue with enough seats to enable better class acts to be staged at viable prices. Carrow road can not stage events due to the noise issue, the Theatre Royal is to small to attract anything popular. Look at the success of concerts staged at Holkham Hall, Blickling Park and Thetford Forrest etc our club could be earning money during the close season.[/quote]Don''t think the residents of Colney and surrounds would let that one through the planning.

[quote user="Smeg"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

and how are you going to fund a stadium??? carrow road is only worth the land to a developer, not enough to build and new one with and with the glut of flats NOT being built on the riverside land who would build it? to you think tesco would buy it next to a morrisions, and beside the council would never let it happen

now if only the idiots at city hall had`nt invested in the icelantic banks, at £17m (i think?) could have bought carrow road for the council, protecting the ground and club, and not wasting the money, the people of norwich would then have the money safe, a small income from rent and the club could buy it back WHEN (not if) we are back in the premiership!

[/quote]

For me it''s a big no.

But to pick you up on the above point. They did in Diss, the 2 stores now stand side by side.

It takes forever to get any new development around here, even a few houses.

The council has turned down Asda re Big W because of traffic (how weird is that, its already a retail park and would make no difference whatsoever)

There is no way that the Carra will be moved.

bearing in mind the madness of Toms last 2 posts , I can only assume he is a wind up merchant looking for a reaction. 

I live in Thorpe, I don''t care!. Seriously though since the construction of the Jarrold stand and the Hotel , I have found that whereas once you could hear noise from Carrow Road during matches, now it is hard to hear anything. Is the noise thrown upwards? or is it due to lack of success.

[quote user="beachbum"]

The council has turned down Asda re Big W because of traffic (how weird is that, its already a retail park and would make no difference whatsoever)

bearing in mind the madness of Toms last 2 posts , I can only assume he is a wind up merchant looking for a reaction. 

[/quote]

Don''t assume.........He is, and he is.

[quote user="beachbum"]

[/quote]

These days, planning departments have to give decisions within x weeks of an application, and if it was backed by the council then likely to go through.

In reply to Inch High,

Other councils allow food stores to be built next to each other.

In MK there is a giant Asda Wallmart store next to the MK Dons stadium and across the road from a Tesco Extra.

In Northampton, there is an Asda literally adjacent to a Waitrose.

Other councils may well have done Tom, but doesn''t mean ours will, and why should it? Here we have Norwich City Council asking, hang on a minute this is Norwich City Football Club, don''t you remember fellow Councillors, that''s the club who once played in the Premier League, who once played good football. They need our help. But wait, they are already attracting 20,000 supporters and the football''s crap (okay they may be a bit more polite), haven''t they got the money. I hear Delia''s been looking for investment for years. But they get by don''t they. Besides, what''s in it for us, it''s not a vote winner is it? Do the club need saving or will someone else do it?

So sorry, can''t see the Council sidetracking money from Social Services, Schools etc to build a new stadium when the one we have is pretty good (your words) already. Unless of course they got something out of it, like staging events every other day of the week and there was a market for that too. But the club will already have thought of that won''t it?

The Football Trust may well help out, but we have a new(ish) stadium.

As said before the land the ground is situated on is valuable, the ground is not, unless it could be adapted for holding events which would bring in money for whatever company speculated in it. Costs to demolish and rebuild, is it worth it, even on brownfield sites which may attact some Government help?

I lived near Broadland Business Park five years ago and there was talk of a train station stop then. Nothing has happened since. That''s not in itself a massive clincher for the new site, but still can''t see it''s feasible, with the major concerns a lot of people would have over the impact of a ground, associated buildings, roads, and traffic. Also as in previous post, planning, planning and even more planning permission. If you have never dealt with this dept at any Council, consider yourself lucky indeed.

Again, the main question has to be, why do we need a new stadium?

Tom, your reply to Lincs CR. Think about our level of debt before we built the new South Stand and now? The infills, and now. Even a brand new club shop and ticket office. Added on the additional area onto the Barclay.

The debt before all this was higher or lower? Again who is going to pay for all of this and most of all.

Will the standard of football be any better? Will we pay off the debts? Will we sign better players.

The board have improved the ground since they came in. So, are your questions answered?