Sign in to follow this  
Karl Pilkington

Who used to go to Carrow Road in the 1970's??

I could only get there when I joined the army and was based at Bury I met a few lads from Norwich and spent weekends with them as apposed to going home to Redditch. that was 67-71 then posted to Berlin so supported from afar till back in UK

Thanks for the pictures lord, I didnt know what it looked like (too young) so couldnt find it htta easy on the internet. thanks again!

Used to stand in the River End on a wooden beer crate. Wobbly but wonderful.

Fell off it for first time during 3-3 draw vs Forest (3 down at half time, second half comeback)

[quote user="dpit"]

Fell off it for first time during 3-3 draw vs Forest (3 down at half time, second half comeback)

[/quote]

Great game, remember it well.

John Ryan, Colin Suggett and Keith Robson were the scorers as I recall.

the manyoo game you remember folks, is that the same one where one of their fans fell through the roof of the barclay [asbestos sheets if i remember] and got a kicking when he landed. I think thats what started the fun. I remember seeing an orange studded with nails being lobbed as well as bits of concrete.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="dpit"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

John Ryan...one of the most underated players ever to wear a yellow shirt...shot that could puncture a hole in an elephant''s backside...

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="dpit"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was the year they won the 1st Division Championship ( 1978 ) having only come up as 2nd Division Champs the previous season..

John Bond was our manager and he''d been banging on all week before the match about this '' plan '' he had to stop Forest........it was quite funny to hear, " John Bond, John Bond, what''s the plan ? " ringing round the ground when they were three up in the first 20 minutes !! As ricardo says it was a great game and we probably should''ve won it in the second half. Incidentally Martin O''Neill scored one of their goals.

John Bond was a media dream and we played some good football in those days.......it almost makes me cry thinking about it when I look at the total shambles we are in right now.

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]

[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/caireyhunt/Trike.jpg[/IMG]

One of these is what you''ve seen.

[/quote]

That''s the one, Martin Peters was standing next to it taking a corner.

Now match day mascots are something that have improved over the years, well maybe not but during the 70’s that canary in a morning suit and top hat looked horrible.  As a five year old I was scared of the bloody thing, I didn’t like the cane under its wing /arm either, urghhh I’ll have nightmares now! 

The 1970’s saw a different form of sinister bird at Carrow Road!

Happy days indeed which I''d have back tomorrow rather than the plastic (and that includes many of our new support) sit down shut up football world of today.  What we used to take for granted every game home and away in those days would see you put away for years these days.  The day the United lads took the stand apart we''d been in the Kingsway doing the usual chanting out the back across the river at an equal size group of their boys but due to the trees we couldn''t see how many there actually were.  There were hundreds of cockney reds as it turned out and they duly ran up and over Carrow Bridge to say hello. 

The fences didn''t necessarily keep us and the opposition apart....Sunderland, the year they needed to get something out of the game to stay up, took over the whole Barclay "We had joy we had fun we had Norwich on the run, but the fun didn''t last ''cause the Norwich ran too fast" echoed round the Barclay much to the annoyance of us stuck in the open end pen next to the city stand.

Leeds took the middle pen as did Wet Sham on that fateful day.  Spurs were given it when they brought thousands up the year they were in the relegation places.  That day saw the Jolly Molsters taken apart. 

The fences went up just before we played Crystal Palace in that end of season must win game in front of the second highest (I think) crowd at Carrow Rd.  We used to have "our" crash barrier towards the top left (facing the pitch) which was then in the away section so we still piled in and stood there for that game.  Gazza, pass the tissues, the memories are flooding back.  The fogged off night Chelsea ran riot in the Barclay and there were a few thick heads in the morning.  Remember Steve Govier''s winner in the replayed game?!

Some of us Barclay boys moved to the middle of the South Stand in the early to mid-70s.  Trevor Hockey used to run over to us fists aloft snarling.  Great night in there when we beat Manure in the League Cup semi. 

Remember the tradition of running out on the pitch at away games to plant the balloons in the centre spot and then leg it back into the crowd before some oppo bloke would run out and burst them?  Filed down steel combs?  Crombies?  Harringtons?

God I hate modern money grabbing no atmosphere PC football.

Like many Barclay Boys of old, I now frequent the Snakepit.  CTID.....which may not be long....

I remember that Forest game too. And remember John Ryan just couldn''t stop scoring from midfield. But the game I remember best from that season was an away game at Coventry over Christmas which we lost 5-4. In those days we played loads of games over Christmas and that year we played 4 games in 8 days. On Boxing Day we beat Scum at home. It was a Ryan penalty that was saved but he scored the rebound. Then the very next day we went to Coventry. It was a remarkable game, we went 2-0 down early on but then a Ryan penalty followed by 2 goals from Kevin Reeves put us 3-2 ahead at half-time. We went 4-3 down in the second half before Martin Peters equalised. Coventry took the lead with about 10 mins left and we threw everything at them in the last few minutes. Peters hit the post and we got a penalty which Ryan had saved. On New years Eve we went up to Middlesboro and drew 2-2, they equalised late on but that man Ryan got our 2nd goal. We never ever won away in those days!!  And then 2 days later we drew 2-2 with West Ham And our first goal was another Ryan penalty. So that was 4 games in a week and 18 goals. But I guess because I was there that day, for all the goals he scored that season my abiding memory of John Ryan was that penalty which would have given us a 5-5 draw at Highfield Road.

I was a 6 year old who use to walk round the pitch selling Programmes with my sister. She use to sit me at the front normally The River End (I can be seen on numerous archive photos) legs dangling through the bars and ask any one around me to keep an eye on me.

She gave me Dave Stringers shirt he wore in the last home game. It was displayed in the Castle Museum for the Centenary Exhibition.

Needless to say it is now Framed and hanging proudly in my Hall. The blue cars are disabled cars..Happy Happy Days.

OTBC ................