Sign in to follow this  
Karl Pilkington

Who used to go to Carrow Road in the 1970's??

Love that pic!!!!

Now got it as my wallpaper (no, not the blue car!)

Does the sign apply to the present players?

I remember the 2 blokes who carried the goaltime board around the pitch!

I remember them getting halfway down the River End and having to go back because there

was another goal, and one of them swore really loudly!!!!! FAF!

Happy Days!!!!!!!

when i was a boy i used to live just off the Avenues, an old chap on our road used to drive one of those blue Disabled cars.. i was fascinated by it when i was 3 or 4....

My first season at Carrow road coincided with the end of the old Barclay.. i was in the south stand back then.. can remember it though...

jas :)

[quote user="Helsinki canary"]I remember sitting on the wooden benches in the old wooden main stand between father and grandfather and joining in the slow stamp during the poor games or when an opposition player was down for too long - and then there were the green cushions that flew onto the pitch if it was a poor ref or poor game! I certainly remember the little blue car in the corner and the thud was a real laugh and the whole ground cheered as the poor occupant shuddered!
[/quote]

Lol - only at little old Norwich would soft furnishings be used as missiles.

And they say they were the bad old days!!![:D]

I used to sit between my Dad & his mate at the very back of the Main Stand - the noise from the feet being stamped and the back of the stand being battered was great!   One of my abiding memories of the cushions was the welcome Ron Saunders got when he came back to Carrow Rd with Villa....As for the Barclay, remember the coins that used to fizz through the air from one side to the other - I used to make a small fortune picking up the shrapnel, mind you, I bet a few shopkeepers wondered why the 50p''s always seemed a bit sharp on the edges!!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

when i was a boy i used to live just off the Avenues, an old chap on our road used to drive one of those blue Disabled cars.. i was fascinated by it when i was 3 or 4....

My first season at Carrow road coincided with the end of the old Barclay.. i was in the south stand back then.. can remember it though...

[/quote]

Small point jas, my blue car was never disabled.....but us drivers were!................same as toilets aren''t disabled either![;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Small point jas, my blue car was never disabled.....but us drivers were!................same as toilets aren''t disabled either![;)]

[/quote]There''s loads of blind dogs around our way[:D]

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]Old barclay

[img]http://city-book.co.uk/library/carrow10.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Crist wat a great pic.... i wasnt born then....but i was round when we stood in the river end.!

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]Old barclay

[img]http://city-book.co.uk/library/carrow10.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Crist wat a great pic.... i wasnt born then....but i was round when we stood in the river end.!

[/quote]

Newbie[:D]

I think in the early 80''s they stopped the blue cars from being parked around the edge of the pitch, but instead allowed various motor companies show off the latest cars by driving them around the edge of the pitch before the game.

One of my memories was the stewards wearing long white coats, and the chant of ''Bring on the buchers'' when they appeared.

I used to sell sweets at the ground from one of those really heavy trays that killed your shoulders. I had a "pitch" at the River End and used to get soaked regularly. At half time we would walk around the pitch. Only did it for the free entry to the game, but we would always miss the first 20 minutes of the second half because we were cashing up in a little office under the old Main Stand (before it burned down). They would deduct any shortages from our wages so I frequently earned almost nothing, especially when the away fans grabbed handfuls of sweets and the watching policeman just laughed. My first game was our debut in Div One - against Everton, Jimmy Bone scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw. (I think...!)

[quote user="Sir Fotheringham Waddock-hunt"]   I think Carl Cort drives one of these[/quote]

This post definitely deserves a "ha ha " ! Made me laugh anyway.

Great to see a decent picture of the old Barclay.  I still remember it in its heyday when the only fencing separated the South Stand from the River End, and this had a gate in it.  Remember at one home game (Bristol City I think) when the whole of the Barclay Choir went and stood underneath the camera gantry that used to be located at the River End and sung highly abusive songs which the microphones couldn''t fail to pick up on Match of the Week the following day.  God, what rascals we were!

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]Old barclay[img]http://city-book.co.uk/library/carrow10.jpg[/img][/quote]I started on the left hand side of the Barclay when I was 12-13 and by the time I was 15 I was in the middle section with my silky scarf tied to my wrist, anyone else remember those. It used to be pretty scary and when we scored you used to just all topple forward until you hit a barrier or a person so stop you. For some reason the day United took the roof off I was lucky enough to be safe in the South Stand, was that the same day Duncan Forbes (6ft 2, eyes of blue etc..) tried to kick Lou Macari into the directors box?Also does anyone remember the reserve games in the 70''s when they had all the gates open and you could wander round the whole ground?    

Does anyone have a picture of the old river end???? My mum used to go in there, and she wants to see if anyone has a pic of it??

Just for your Mum Notts!

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/23s7l0.jpg[/IMG]

That''s one I took of Steve Coppell taking a corner at the old River End/Main Stand corner

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/10zxw1u.jpg[/IMG]

and I think that was taken at the last game the River End was open before demolition took place..possibly against the Scum!

and here''s one of the back of the River End that even I am too young to remember......

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2affyvl.jpg[/IMG]

Shortfab, yes I remember the silk scarves round the wrist, still have most of mine, all with things like "Super Canaries" on and in tasteful shades of green and yellow, all in the days before any sponsor had his logo there.

Do you remember the fantastic refreshment sheds with either tea, tea or Bovril?

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

Just for your Mum Notts!

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/23s7l0.jpg[/IMG]

That''s one I took of Steve Coppell taking a corner at the old River End/Main Stand corner

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/10zxw1u.jpg[/IMG]

and I think that was taken at the last game the River End was open before demolition took place..possibly against the Scum!

[/quote]

Great stuff your Lordship. It brings back happy memories of my earliest visits and climbing up the steep steps to the River End before trying to find a position in front of a barrier to offset some of the surge when we scored![:D]

That picture was taken by George Plunkett and if I can remember it was back on 14/9/1935 ..we played Leicester City that day and lost 2-1 and that kept us bottom of the table.

Yes, well remembered Blinded.... and that great old occupation "Spot the Ball" My grand parents used to spend hours working them out. lol

That famous Man U match where they rioted....I have a memory of Tommy Doc, the United manager, walking across  the Barclay goalmouth to appeal to his supporters for calm and a large chunk of concrete terracing flying out of the away section and narrowly missing him. Anyone else remember this or am I imagining it?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Shortfab, yes I remember the silk scarves round the wrist, still have most of mine, all with things like "Super Canaries" on and in tasteful shades of green and yellow, all in the days before any sponsor had his logo there.

Do you remember the fantastic refreshment sheds with either tea, tea or Bovril?[/quote]I do remember the lovely refreshment shed, and, as someone else mentioned, the boys coming round with really heavy trays selling sweets and the two guys walking coming round with the golden goals times and lucky numbers at half time.

[quote user="pat51"]That famous Man U match where they rioted....I have a memory of Tommy Doc, the United manager, walking across  the Barclay goalmouth to appeal to his supporters for calm and a large chunk of concrete terracing flying out of the away section and narrowly missing him. Anyone else remember this or am I imagining it?[/quote]I was at that match (in the relative safety of the South Stand Corner). I remember Tommy Docherty coming onto the pitch, not sure about the lump of concrete. The violence was orchestrated and had obviously been planned weeks in advance. It erupted before the match had even began - to this day I believe many of those United "supporters" who came to the game had no desire to watch a football match but just wanted to cause mayhem in the name of Man Utd - tossers!

Yes.

Mal Lucas, Tommy Brylcream, Freddie Sharpe, Mike Sutton, oh thats the 1960''s!  Oops

1970''s - Kevin Keelan, Clive Payne, Geoff Butler, David Stringer, THE DUNC (Duncan Forbes), Terry Anderson, Max Briggs, Peter Sylvester, David Cross, Jim Bone, Graham Paddon, Howard....then Trevor Hockey, Colin Suggett, Ian Mellor.........