Sign in to follow this  
Karl Pilkington

Who used to go to Carrow Road in the 1970's??

I''ve been watching a video I found at my parents house called "Canary Classics" it has highlights from different matches from the early 1970''s to the Munich matches. It features the Millwall match from the 80''s, a Luton, Liverpool and Southampton match from the 1970''s.

My actual question was that in the matches at Carrow road in the 1970''s there is a little light blue 3 wheel car parked near the corner flag (south stand river end corner) in front of the advertising hordings with a bloke sitting in the driving seat.

Does anybody know what this was for and why it was parked there??? It was very strange seeing Martin Peters taking a corner standing next to a little 3 wheeled car.

I wasn''t there in those days but i''m sure they used to keep the stretchers in the back? (i may be wrong)

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]I''ve been watching a video I found at my parents house called "Canary Classics" it has highlights from different matches from the early 1970''s to the Munich matches. It features the Millwall match from the 80''s, a Luton, Liverpool and Southampton match from the 1970''s. My actual question was that in the matches at Carrow road in the 1970''s there is a little light blue 3 wheel car parked near the corner flag (south stand river end corner) in front of the advertising hordings with a bloke sitting in the driving seat. Does anybody know what this was for and why it was parked there??? It was very strange seeing Martin Peters taking a corner standing next to a little 3 wheeled car.[/quote]

If my memory serves me correctly, I think that there we several disabled persons vehicles parked there in  those days. Obviously entrances and stands weren''t very "disability friendly" in those days, so those with such vehicles were allowed to park close to the pitch so they could have a good view.

Beau is right, back in those days disabled drivers drove those little blue cars and they drove straight into the ground,parked by the pitch, watched the game and then drove home again...lol

Little 3 wheeled things that were precceded by purpose built everyday cars and those buggy things every elderly person seems to have nowdays.

The little blue car things used to park on the cinder track in the corner of the River and south stands.  there was an old box type thing raised up in the River End corner, where they used to put the half  time scores on and another board fixed on the railings at the barclay/main stand corner for the same.   A big old chain link gate used to seperate the River and south Stands.  The first Barclay Boy choir thing started in the middle of the South Stand before moving to the barclay. disabled friendly is wasn''t . in truth parts of it weren''t that spectator friendly either, the step at the back of the barclay and river End were terrible; if you didn''t get in front of a crash bar, you could get almost flattened by any surges.  O the good old days.

Kenny, don''t, the pollen count hasn''t done me any favours today re my eyes watering - and the site of the old Barclay has got me blubbing with tears streaming down my cheeks. Happy days.....

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]

[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/caireyhunt/Trike.jpg[/IMG]

One of these is what you''ve seen.

[/quote]

Yes, they used to enter the ground through an entrance gate which was where the Main Stand/ River End - sorry, City Stand/ Norwich & Peterborough Stand infill is now. They drove along behind the goal and would park just before the corner flag on the other side

Being three-wheelers we often wondered when one of them would topple over when whacked by a wayward clearance or shot, but, despite the best efforts of the average-at-best players on show ( some things don''t change ) none ever did to my knowledge. I think the windows must have been perspex as they gave out merely a dull thud as the car rocked on its axle when struck and not an explosion of shattered glass followed by an ear-piercing shriek from the occupant as he/she was knocked senseless.

Maybe they should''ve painted them '' Only Fools & Horses '' yellow so the target was easier to spot......  

I remember sitting on the wooden benches in the old wooden main stand between father and grandfather and joining in the slow stamp during the poor games or when an opposition player was down for too long - and then there were the green cushions that flew onto the pitch if it was a poor ref or poor game! I certainly remember the little blue car in the corner and the thud was a real laugh and the whole ground cheered as the poor occupant shuddered!

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]I''ve been watching a video I found at my parents house called "Canary Classics" it has highlights from different matches from the early 1970''s to the Munich matches. It features the Millwall match from the 80''s, a Luton, Liverpool and Southampton match from the 1970''s. My actual question was that in the matches at Carrow road in the 1970''s there is a little light blue 3 wheel car parked near the corner flag (south stand river end corner) in front of the advertising hordings with a bloke sitting in the driving seat. Does anybody know what this was for and why it was parked there??? It was very strange seeing Martin Peters taking a corner standing next to a little 3 wheeled car.[/quote]

Disabled, 3 wheeled carriages Karl.

I should add, that before I passed my proper test, I used to drive one of these ''limpy vans'' as we called them, for 3 years................and no, it wasn''t me at Carrow Road!

I was in the Barclay in those days.

To be fair most clubs used to let the little blue cars into their stadiums in the 1970s, remember 1973 very well, the League Cup Final semi v Chelsea abondoned with about 3 mins to go due to the fog!!

In those days we had players who would have died for the club, Keelan, Forbes, Stringer!!

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]Old barclay

[img]http://city-book.co.uk/library/carrow10.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

As you look at that picture I used to stand at the back to the right. Happy days

Gazza can I borrow a tissue or two please?

Many Of my old mates of those days are no longer able to support and I would think spinning in sacred earth!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="IncH_HigH"]

[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh112/caireyhunt/Trike.jpg[/IMG]

One of these is what you''ve seen.

[/quote]

Yes, they used to enter the ground through an entrance gate which was where the Main Stand/ River End - sorry, City Stand/ Norwich & Peterborough Stand infill is now. They drove along behind the goal and would park just before the corner flag on the other side

Being three-wheelers we often wondered when one of them would topple over when whacked by a wayward clearance or shot, but, despite the best efforts of the average-at-best players on show ( some things don''t change ) none ever did to my knowledge. I think the windows must have been perspex as they gave out merely a dull thud as the car rocked on its axle when struck and not an explosion of shattered glass followed by an ear-piercing shriek from the occupant as he/she was knocked senseless.

Maybe they should''ve painted them '' Only Fools & Horses '' yellow so the target was easier to spot......  

[/quote]I remember they were bloody great big iron gates, and at half-time they''d open them up and let us kids in for free... I saw many a happy 2nd half from the old terracing which is now the soulless Aviva Family Enclosure, or whatever it is.

In my meory, the old Barclay was soooo much bigger.They were good days indeed though.  Mind you, I''m only a short-arse, and on a bad day could only see the ball when someone kicked it in the air.

If you look very closely in that photo, you can see a very small 10 year old called Delia exclaiming ''One day all this will be mine''!

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]who remembers the black and white lettered boards for the half time results  in the riverend and barclay[/quote]

I do..........those were the days.... and the best bit? being able to stand up[:)]

I remember late 70s apart from the handicap car.  The stretcher bearer who was from The St. John Ambulance was a dead ringer for Sgt. Bilko

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]Old barclay

[/quote]

God, I miss that place.........[:(][:(]

I second Gazza''s emotions.

Anybody got a time machine?

the picture of the barclay shows how the fans were segrigated  in the 70s city fans to the left scum and who ever to the right  with a gap in the middle but both sets of fans would chuck beer bottles at each other and cover each other in broken glass and kung fe stars

Not sure on the date of the photo, I must be after the front fences came down,  the early pre fences days, a thin line of coppers used to seperate the rival supporters, and one of the objects was for the away to force the Barclay Boys out , taking over their kop end, for the Barclay Boys was to defend to the hilt.  Often this thin of blue, came in for some right stick.I went into the barclay, when the choir moved cannot remember the exct year, and I never left only until a couple of seasons ago,  some 40 odd years,   HOW I MISS THAT Place.  [img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/cry.gif[/img]  What a mistake, 

Sorry, for posting so quickly again...but this may stir some more memories..  for me one of the best city squads.  I can remember Cawston, (reserve keeper went on to Southend) I played against him many time at schoolboy level. There certainly weren''t massive squads back then. 

[img]http://cards.littleoak.com.au/197172_daily_mirror_my_club/norwich_city.jpg[/img]