Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Transfer Fees

I''ve been thinking about this, and many of us seem resigned to losing Clingan to a ''bigger'' club, like Fulham (ahem).  They''ve apparently been courting him, and understandably so since he was one of the most consistent and able performers in our XI of Shite this past season.  And with the hole in the club''s finances from relegation, I find it unlikely that the board will turn down any bid (since we have a history as a selling club and one who''s all-too-easy to negotiate with.However.... with the increased spotlight on the board this coming summer, and particularly on the finances, I wonder how the board will react not just to any bid that comes in, but to how they deal with the fee.In my eyes, they now have absolutely no choice but to ensure that every single penny of any fee commanded from the sale of players this summer will be injected back into the transfer budget.  No Doomcaster cover-ups about wages or expenses or anything like that.  £3m transfer fee = £3m more in the transfer kitty.  Simples.If they don''t, then there''ll be absolutely no way they can bury their heads in the sand any longer and they''ll only be hastening their own demise.  Doomy and Mumbles are obviously keen to hang onto their salaries, and now they know how the fans feel, will hopefully be careful not to risk losing everything.So what does everyone think?Should we be holding on to Sammy whatever the price offered? Or should we be holding out for higher bids in order to further fund our rebuilding*?  And what should happen to any cash we receive?Your thoughts?* Rebuilding seems like the wrong word considering that''s apparently what we''ve been doing every summer for the past 4 years or so.

we SHOULD be holding on to him(sammy) but we wont and imo 3mil is good money.

I think we need to start from nearly scratch were the squad is concerned....i hope we sign alan lee because he will be a big player for us in league 1 and he WANTS to play for us which is a bonus, there have been to many players this season who have been here just for the pay cheque..hence relegation

We have to sell him if someone comes in for him. Don''t sell for less than £1.5 million though. That could buy us 3 or 4 good league one players who want to play at a bigger club.

If nobody offers enough then we keep him. Simple. But if the price is right, the money raised would help us to rebuild. We certainly need to do that.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Dogger in Div 1"]I don''t even think Fulham will offer that much now we are down.[/quote]then we for once should say NO THNX THEN[/quote]That''s not going to work.  Power is with the players and agents now, not the club.Fulham say to Sammy''s agent, "we''ll pay Sammy three times what Norwich City are paying you."Sammy''s agent, seeing a 10% cut in all this for him, says "great, leave it with me."  Sammy''s agent says to Sammy, "look at all this money on the table, Sammy."Sammy''s agent says to Doomy, "my client wants to move."Doomy says "not unless Fulham offer us £3 million.""But he cost you nothing," says Sammy''s agent.  "That''s restraint of trade - and he''ll leave next year and you''ll get nothing for him.  Plus he might not play at his best when he''d rather be elsewhere, if you see what I mean.""Oh," says Doomy.  "What will Fulham offer us?""£750,000" says Sammy''s agent."Done," says Doomy.

Did you know Nicolas Anelka''s brother - his agent - is richer than Nicolas Anelka?  Sign of the times.

I have to say I think we will get closer to £500,000 for Sammy.

Where on earth did a £3m price tag come from for a player that has barely played outside the lower leagues, and when he did it ended in relegation?

I like him, but £3m would be an absurd amount for someone to pay - and given Doncaster''s track record in transfer deals it just won''t happen.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Dogger in Div 1"]I don''t even think Fulham will offer that much now we are down.[/quote]then we for once should say NO THNX THEN[/quote]

That''s not going to work.  Power is with the players and agents now, not the club.

Fulham say to Sammy''s agent, "we''ll pay Sammy three times what Norwich City are paying you."

Sammy''s agent, seeing a 10% cut in all this for him, says "great, leave it with me." 

Sammy''s agent says to Sammy, "look at all this money on the table, Sammy."

Sammy''s agent says to Doomy, "my client wants to move."

Doomy says "not unless Fulham offer us £3 million."

"But he cost you nothing," says Sammy''s agent.  "That''s restraint of trade - and he''ll leave next year and you''ll get nothing for him.  Plus he might not play at his best when he''d rather be elsewhere, if you see what I mean."

"Oh," says Doomy.  "What will Fulham offer us?"

"£750,000" says Sammy''s agent.

"Done," says Doomy.

Did you know Nicolas Anelka''s brother - his agent - is richer than Nicolas Anelka?  Sign of the times.

[/quote]and how chit is that....bloody disgrace...money talks

Best we get a chief exec with the balls to say NO then. He''s our player and the money isn''t right he stays.

[quote user="The Chief"]Best we get a chief exec with the balls to say NO then. He''s our player and the money isn''t right he stays.[/quote]And then you have a demotivated player who can''t be ar$ed to play, who doesn''t try in training, and who becomes a negative influence around the club... do you carry on paying him £x,000 a week, or do you say "sod it, we have to sell him"?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Chief"]Best we get a chief exec with the balls to say NO then. He''s our player and the money isn''t right he stays.[/quote]

And then you have a demotivated player who can''t be ar$ed to play, who doesn''t try in training, and who becomes a negative influence around the club... do you carry on paying him £x,000 a week, or do you say "sod it, we have to sell him"?
[/quote]could also go the other way...he could get stuck in play his ballaks off lift the other players and then they come back with an offer that we both agree on????????/ [Y]

trying to look in the bright side still [:D] even tho we are in league 1

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Chief"]Best we get a chief exec with the balls to say NO then. He''s our player and the money isn''t right he stays.[/quote]And then you have a demotivated player who can''t be ar$ed to play, who doesn''t try in training, and who becomes a negative influence around the club... do you carry on paying him £x,000 a week, or do you say "sod it, we have to sell him"?[/quote]could also go the other way...he could get stuck in play his ballaks off lift the other players and then they come back with an offer that we both agree on????????/ [Y]

[/quote]That is looking on the bright side!Fulham: "we want to pay you £15k a week."Sammy: "Doomy, I want to leave and earn £15k a week."Doomy: "Please don''t go, you''re our best player.  Here, I''ll give you £8k a week."Sammy: "Hmm. £8k a week, or £15k a week.  Gosh, it''s difficult..."Sammy''s Agent: "Shut up, idiot.  Get me Roy Hodgson."

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Chief"]Best we get a chief exec with the balls to say NO then. He''s our player and the money isn''t right he stays.[/quote]

And then you have a demotivated player who can''t be ar$ed to play, who doesn''t try in training, and who becomes a negative influence around the club... do you carry on paying him £x,000 a week, or do you say "sod it, we have to sell him"?
[/quote]could also go the other way...he could get stuck in play his ballaks off lift the other players and then they come back with an offer that we both agree on????????/ [Y]

[/quote]

That is looking on the bright side!

Fulham: "we want to pay you £15k a week."

Sammy: "Doomy, I want to leave and earn £15k a week."

Doomy: "Please don''t go, you''re our best player.  Here, I''ll give you £8k a week."

Sammy: "Hmm. £8k a week, or £15k a week.  Gosh, it''s difficult..."

Sammy''s Agent: "Shut up, idiot.  Get me Roy Hodgson."

[/quote]lol...i know how they go 9/10 MC....but ya never know [;)]

Or on the other hand, He is the reason why we are where we are, His and the rest of them that is, No I think they should be made to stay and get us out of this crap league, if they say "well I won''t play", fine shove them in the reserves, bring on the youngsters, people forget very quickly when you are not playing

It''s not a hard bet for Fulham - who are doing very well this year.But consider this; Etuhu vs Clingan... hmm....

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="Dogger in Div 1"]I don''t even think Fulham will offer that much now we are down.[/quote]then we for once should say NO THNX THEN[/quote]

That''s not going to work.  Power is with the players and agents now, not the club.

Fulham say to Sammy''s agent, "we''ll pay Sammy three times what Norwich City are paying you."

Sammy''s agent, seeing a 10% cut in all this for him, says "great, leave it with me." 

Sammy''s agent says to Sammy, "look at all this money on the table, Sammy."

Sammy''s agent says to Doomy, "my client wants to move."

Doomy says "not unless Fulham offer us £3 million."

"But he cost you nothing," says Sammy''s agent.  "That''s restraint of trade - and he''ll leave next year and you''ll get nothing for him.  Plus he might not play at his best when he''d rather be elsewhere, if you see what I mean."

"Oh," says Doomy.  "What will Fulham offer us?"

"£750,000" says Sammy''s agent.

"Done," says Doomy.

[/quote]

That all depends on how the Agent gets his cut and how it is worked out. Football deals are very complex and vary from case to case.

[quote user="Big Dog "]I have to say I think we will get closer to £500,000 for Sammy. Where on earth did a £3m price tag come from for a player that has barely played outside the lower leagues, and when he did it ended in relegation? I like him, but £3m would be an absurd amount for someone to pay - and given Doncaster''s track record in transfer deals it just won''t happen.[/quote]The transfer fee itself isn''t the point - I plucked that figure at random just as an example.  The point is how the club will manage transfer fees given not only our relegation to the third tier, but with the fans'' increased scrutiny of our dealings.  We''ve been asking ''where''s the money gone?'' for years now, so maybe after the fans forum, the many emails to Doomy and the NCISA meeting next week, they''ll start to realise they can''t fudge us quite so easily and will put the cash where it belongs.Or, failing that, Doomy will get sacked and we can get someone competent in to deal with the transfers............. I''m going to mention Rick Parry again..... [;)]

Have people not thought that SC could stay next season and try hard because he is in the last year of his contract. He can then start talking to clubs in January, and if he moves at the end of the next season then he could make a fortune from a signing on fee. Seems that''s how he moved from Blackpool so he might do the same from Norwich.

[quote user="pete_norw"]Or on the other hand, He is the reason why we are where we are, His and the rest of them that is, No I think they should be made to stay and get us out of this crap league, if they say "well I won''t play", fine shove them in the reserves, bring on the youngsters, people forget very quickly when you are not playing[/quote]

What on earth makes you think that those players would ever be good enough to get us out of the Third Division?

And I think we should accept any offer of £1,000 for Semmy ...... it was Semmy we were talking about wasn''t it?

My personal opinion is that there are currently NO players in the squad I would say are priceless (as wouldn''t sell for any amount of money).Every player in the squad could leave for the right amount.  What that amount is depends on the player, I consider it to be the amount of money that could buy us a replacement who is as good or better.  This is unlikely - the buying club would buy the other play instead! - so I would say, enough to buy a younger player who is almost as good.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]However.... with the increased spotlight on the board this coming

summer, and particularly on the finances, I wonder how the board will

react not just to any bid that comes in, but to how they deal with the

fee.[/quote]I think the fees will be undisclosed - as they pretty much have been for the last couple of seasons.  As wages have a bigger footprint on the balance sheet than transfer fees, they are a bit of a misnomer anyway.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]However.... with the increased spotlight on the board this coming summer, and particularly on the finances, I wonder how the board will react not just to any bid that comes in, but to how they deal with the fee.
[/quote]

I think the fees will be undisclosed - as they pretty much have been for the last couple of seasons.  As wages have a bigger footprint on the balance sheet than transfer fees, they are a bit of a misnomer anyway.
[/quote]

Blah, year-on-year transfer profit (ie amount received in transfers less amount spent in one financial year) has been subsidising player wages since relegation- even when we had parachute payments.

2008:  £19m income,  £6.8m on player wages,  £3.5m transfer profit.  So the bulk cost of our team was £3.3m out of £19m income and we still made a £2.5m loss.  The board have made us a well-supported club which basically cannot afford a professional football team.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]2008:  £19m income,  £6.8m on player wages,  £3.5m transfer profit.  So the bulk cost of our team was £3.3m out of £19m income and we still made a £2.5m loss.  The board have made us a well-supported club which basically cannot afford a professional football team.[/quote]Any idea what savings the removal of Eventguard and the travel shop will give ?  I guess as Eventguard was listed in Neil D''s easy to understand guide as making a small profit, that moving it over to the council won''t offer much extra wiggle room...

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

Have people not thought that SC could stay next season and try hard because he is in the last year of his contract. He can then start talking to clubs in January, and if he moves at the end of the next season then he could make a fortune from a signing on fee. Seems that''s how he moved from Blackpool so he might do the same from Norwich.

[/quote]

Tom,

I have missed something, but when did Clingan play for Blackpool?

[quote user="Desert Fox"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

Tom,

I have missed something, but when did Clingan play for Blackpool?

[/quote]

Easy mistake to make....for a Lawyer/Solicitor....

Mello,

He is not smart enough to be Doomy. My suspicion is a junior member of the club PR dept or indeed or a close relative of a senior person(s) at the club. However, as for ''T'' that''s another matter!

I can see any transfer fee going to cover the whole football budget thing,  but really cannot see the complete fee being spent on other players in transfer fees.

Very few players move clubs for a fee any more (unless you count signing on and agents) so I expect to see lots of free transfers out of contract players coming this way,  hopefully supplemented by 1-2 "purchases" too - probably for a forward. 

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

It must be terrible to let yourself down every time you post something.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]2008:  £19m income,  £6.8m on player wages,  £3.5m transfer profit.  So the bulk cost of our team was £3.3m out of £19m income and we still made a £2.5m loss.  The board have made us a well-supported club which basically cannot afford a professional football team.[/quote]

Any idea what savings the removal of Eventguard and the travel shop will give ?  I guess as Eventguard was listed in Neil D''s easy to understand guide as making a small profit, that moving it over to the council won''t offer much extra wiggle room...
[/quote]

According to Doncaster everything at the club is profitable yet income less non-player wage costs leaves only £1.9m "affordable" for player wages.  That`s despite the club receiving £10m in ticket sales and tv/league money and much less than what Preston can afford out of ordinary turnover and much less than we could 6 years ago.  It doesn`t add up and "creative" springs to mind.....

So in short, i havent a clue.....[;)]  It would seem a bit daft to dispose of truly profitable income streams though wouldn`t it....[:^)]