Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

"He gave 110%!" - Really?

The amount of times this goes through my head is unreal, nearly every week when i hear 5 Live or Talksport callers claiming that player x gave 110% on that days play i can''t help but think "Thats not possible".

Now, it''s normal to think that all players should give 100% on the pitch.. But then thats incredibly hard to do when you think about it, as 100% would mean pushing yourself so hard that you would literaly collapse on the field and have to be stretchered off with an oxygen mask attached.  It''s akin to going down an alley and running so hard until you collapse... How an earth could you pace yourself? You could never predict how the game was going to pan out and conserve all your energy levels accordingly maximise the effort that could be put into 90+ minutes.  We''re probably all quite happy to watch a player put in 70-80% if the top scale (100%) was near-death dangerous!

So, with that in mind, what would be an acceptable percentage?  What does Otsemembor, a player obviously holding back due to health concerns, average a game compared to Rooney for example?  Croft works his ass off most games, but then is this partly down to shortcomings, meaning that a better skilled player would require less effort to perform as adequately?

I''m sure we all work in organisations whereby a few people work their asses off, and in turn this leads to others hiding and getting away with doing very little, does the same apply on the pitch, and thus creates complacency? I''m sure it has to affect the balance of the team.

In some ways i''m a big beleiver that if you''re having to push too much then you''re not skilled for the job, then that theory is ruined when you watch a team such as Man utd playing, they are incredible at times mixing both elements to scary limits.

So, therefore, isn''t this where we would want our club to get to? Players that don''t need to put the extra effort in to look average, but to take their skill to the higher levels required to steamroller the opposition.

Players like this come at a premium, so with a club of Norwich''s stature i think the question needs to be asked:

What is easiest to install into a player? Skill or work ethic?

With the money available and the expectance as above, Do you look for raw workhorses that are in the bargain basement cause they lack skill and have the correct setup to train them to brazilian standard, or search out the lazy skill-meisters that deserve 3 months army intensive workouts?

I just re-read through this prior to posting and i sound like some ''perfect race''/''perfect footballer'' nazi loon!!! Oh well, it all comes about when my mind wanders when DIYing at weekends... Honest!! Never projected Hitlers war machine march on my missus body ever!! Honest! :)

Interesting one.  On the subject of 110%, Dickson Etuhu usually gave 10% but 100% when Sky Sports were showing the games.I think most players start with 100% and you can then take % points away (or add on) for the following factors:

Thinking about what to have for dinner after the game: minus 5%Thinking about where to go out boozing after the game: minus 5%Wondering which girl band singer/supermodel to try and shag next: minus 5%Contemplating your property portfolio: minus 10%Being a looooon player: either 0 or minus 10% depending on  your point of viewBeing Mark Fotheringham: minus 40%

OP - personally I think you are a prat.

Obviously it is merely a figure of speech. Clearly used just to emphasize that someone is putting in a great level of effort. The fact that this phrase seems to offend you so much, I really think you have an issue!!!

p.s. no offense!

"Being Mark Fotheringham" - that sounds like the title of a cult movie.

''The Jonas Brother'' -"OP - personally I think you are a prat.""p.s. no offense!"-No two ways about it, your being offensive whether you like it or not. I suggest the next time you encounter someone that you do not want to offend, not under any circumstances use the word "prat" toward the opposite individual, otherwise you will indeed be offending them.However by directing my attention to this, i have indeed admittedly overlooked the most offensive part of your post, and perhaps the most offensive part of a post that i have ever encountered on this board, or even potentially on any board, and that is your frightfully disgusting avatar. I must urge you to remove it, then aquire a reasonable taste in music, or i''m afraid i will have to shoot you.Best wishes      John [:D]

I do apologise - one of my major bug bears however, is the people that ring into those shows with comments like "there is no such thing as 110%" - really winds me up.

Clearly it is just a saying.

But I do apologise to the OP - having one of those days!

p.s. you are making assumptions about my taste in music.

Well it''s quite sad having that as your picture and username if you don''t like them. Are you gay?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Interesting one.  On the subject of 110%, Dickson Etuhu usually gave 10% but 100% when Sky Sports were showing the games.

[/quote]

Dickson Etuhu also gave 100% when we played Chelsea in the FA Cup or when he felt like it, or towards the end of the season when there was a chance of a move.

If in a European tie a team wins 1-0 away from home the away goal they have scored gives them no advantage, only a score draw or winning when the opposition scores does an away goal benefit you. This is lost on most commentators, who get very excited about it. Not entirely related but thats what annoys me about commentators.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]If in a European tie a team wins 1-0 away from home the away goal they have scored gives them no advantage, only a score draw or winning when the opposition scores does an away goal benefit you. This is lost on most commentators, who get very excited about it. Not entirely related but thats what annoys me about commentators.

[/quote]actually i could have simplified that by just saying that an away goal is only an extra advantage if you also concede at least one.

[quote user="The Jonas Brother"]OP - personally I think you are a prat. Obviously it is merely a figure of speech. Clearly used just to emphasize that someone is putting in a great level of effort. The fact that this phrase seems to offend you so much, I really think you have an issue!!! p.s. no offense![/quote]

It doesn''t offend me, i use the phrase myself at times... It''s just that if i''m doing some work around the house my mind can mull around on the slightest of nitbits that i pickup.

What the original post was about, was that the conclusion of my thoughts led me to wonder whether this effort or desire to win is something that is harder to install into players than skill.  But of course you could scout a low skilled player who shows a high work rate, bring them to the club with the hope of raising their skill level... But then, if he were of higher skill would his work rate drop as he''s not needing to work his ass off to reach the average level of the 10 other men?!  i.e. going back to the ''work environment'' is it this average level that players push themselves to? 

Getting back to your reply, i can justify the 110% phrase as more than just an overemphasis... Using the logic as above, and presuming that there is an average workrate that spans across the players on that pitch, anyone who manages to significantly raise their game above that line then can arguably be praised as putting in 110+% in, which is fair enough as it''s relative.

One of the saddest comments i''ve heard after a game this season was hearing Munby after the charlton game saying how he expected to see spent, wounded players to be walking off the field after 90 minutes... And it never happened.  I think they should allow illegal substances on the final match of the season! [:)]

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]

One of the saddest comments i''ve heard after a game this season was hearing Munby after the charlton game saying how he expected to see spent, wounded players to be walking off the field after 90 minutes... And it never happened.  I think they should allow illegal substances on the final match of the season! [:)]

[/quote]Perhaps he was confusing full time with the opening scenes from Saving Private Ryan.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]

[quote user="The Jonas Brother"]OP - personally I think you are a prat. Obviously it is merely a figure of speech. Clearly used just to emphasize that someone is putting in a great level of effort. The fact that this phrase seems to offend you so much, I really think you have an issue!!! p.s. no offense![/quote]

It doesn''t offend me, i use the phrase myself at times... It''s just that if i''m doing some work around the house my mind can mull around on the slightest of nitbits that i pickup.

What the original post was about, was that the conclusion of my thoughts led me to wonder whether this effort or desire to win is something that is harder to install into players than skill.  But of course you could scout a low skilled player who shows a high work rate, bring them to the club with the hope of raising their skill level... But then, if he were of higher skill would his work rate drop as he''s not needing to work his ass off to reach the average level of the 10 other men?!  i.e. going back to the ''work environment'' is it this average level that players push themselves to? 

Getting back to your reply, i can justify the 110% phrase as more than just an overemphasis... Using the logic as above, and presuming that there is an average workrate that spans across the players on that pitch, anyone who manages to significantly raise their game above that line then can arguably be praised as putting in 110+% in, which is fair enough as it''s relative.

[/quote]

I agree. The phrase is entirely nonsensical, emphatic or not.

I''d suggest that theonly "prats" are those who use this absurd phrase.

At the risk of being callled a "prat" also, another that annoys me is "quality", as in "he''s a quality player" or "it was a quality finish." "Quality", by itself means nothing. It only makes any sense if accompanied by an adjective, such as "good quality" or "poor quality."

I suppose all of this is becoming increasingly irrelevent as our team is rarely "quality" or "giving 110%."