Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

David Marshall

Just seen this myself. I think this quote is the one you are talking about (the choice excerpt I selected):

Marshall knows his relegation to the third tier of English football

could affect his international future. The keeper, who has two full

caps from 2004, has hinted he could leave Carrow Road if bigger clubs

come in for him.

Marshall said: "It was only a few days ago we went down but the club have to make a few decisions with players.

"I want to play at the highest level as quickly as I can.

"I''ve not spoken to the manager Bryan Gunn since the game on Sunday. He

is going to ring me in the next couple of days and we will see what

happens.

"If a club came in I would be silly to turn it down and stay in a lesser league but the right move has got to come up.

"Norwich need to be happy to let me go as well so it''s out of my hands a little bit.

"There is a suggestion that going to League One I might fall off the radar.

People have said the gaffer is not really keen on people playing at that level. It''s something I have to think about."

Cardiff are closing in on the signing of Norwich goalkeeper David Marshall, skysports.com understands.

The Bluebirds are believed to have agreed a fee with Norwich for the Scotland international and he is now set for talks with the Championship outfit.

Cardiff have made a new goalkeeper a top target for next season and they have moved quickly to try and bring former Celtic keeper Marshall to Ninian Park.

Marshall was one of Norwich''s shining lights this term despite suffering relegation from the Championship and played every minute of every game.

Norwich are resigned to losing some of their top stars as they prepare for life in League One and Marshall could be one of the first to leave Carrow Road.

The 24-year-old is keen to be playing at the highest level as he looks to safeguard his place in the Scotland squad and Cardiff are hoping to tie up a deal for the highly-rated custodian in the near future.

Well no real surprise I think we all expected him to leave.

We shouldn''t worry too much with Steer and Rudd waiting in the wings.

I just hope we get a decent fee, but no doubt it will go down as undisclosed.

Well Camul was right then.Although it sounds very much like the club have already given his agent the ok to look for a new club for him, he must be one of the higher wage earners at the club and if we can re-coup the £800k we paid for him then I will be happy. If we can get more than that then I will be even happier.

[quote user="chicken"]Well Camul was right then.Although it sounds very much like the club have already given his agent the ok to look for a new club for him, he must be one of the higher wage earners at the club and if we can re-coup the £800k we paid for him then I will be happy. If we can get more than that then I will be even happier.[/quote]Spot on. I rate him and he''s done OK for us - but he''s not irreplaceable and a fee/wages reduction will no doubt be useful.

I say let him go for a decent price. He''s alright but not what we''ll need behind a potentially younger back 4. Seek out a wise old head with a big set of lungs to corral the troops.

[quote user="Romantic"]I say let him go for a decent price. He''s alright but not what we''ll need behind a potentially younger back 4. Seek out a wise old head with a big set of lungs to corral the troops.[/quote]

spot on! putting a teenage keeper behind a young back 4 is going to be crazy! Rudd and Steer are far too young t be thrown in the deep end...

Watch Nelson get a years deal in the next few days if Marshall goes..... an experianced keeper with League 1 knowledge to boot.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Romantic"]I say let him go for a decent price. He''s alright but not what we''ll need behind a potentially younger back 4. Seek out a wise old head with a big set of lungs to corral the troops.[/quote]

spot on! putting a teenage keeper behind a young back 4 is going to be crazy! Rudd and Steer are far too young t be thrown in the deep end...

Watch Nelson get a years deal in the next few days if Marshall goes..... an experianced keeper with League 1 knowledge to boot.

[/quote]Nelson is terrible. He musn''t be our No.1 next year.

[quote user="kirku"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Nelson is terrible. He musn''t be our No.1 next year.
[/quote]

But you are forgetting he is likley to be very grateful for the opportunity having been released by the mighty Orient, and therefore, likley to be very cheap. Welcome to our new world.

Hopefully we will get some decent money for Marshall at least, It''s quite clear from his statement he is another one of these players who does not give a sh*t about norwih city!! Bring back the days of rob green! It really shows why we''re relegated, Just wait for all the other names now aswell!

I agree that an experienced keeper will be used intially. But the thing is Nelson isn''t very good even Leyton Orient fans think that.

Not that fussed about Marshall, but I am suprised that this is going on with no perminant manager in place.

Come on Delia and co - you must have made some decisions by now!

[quote user="Irish canary"]Hopefully we will get some decent money for Marshall at least, It''s quite clear from his statement he is another one of these players who does not give a sh*t about norwih city!! Bring back the days of rob green! It really shows why we''re relegated, Just wait for all the other names now aswell![/quote]

do you know if Hoolahan is staying or going?

I don''t think it would be a bad idea to make a move for Matty Gilks,  he hasn''t featured that much at Blackpool, only this week Dion Dublin cited his leaving as a part of City''s problems, Gilks I know is experienced in the lower leagues, he is strong, hard, Commands his area and can kick a bloody ball.  I think the Steer and Rudd are a little light wieght at the moment, and Nelson well if he was any good Orient wouldn''ty have let him go.

[quote user="Desert Fox"][quote user="kirku"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]Nelson is terrible. He musn''t be our No.1 next year.[/quote]

But you are forgetting he is likley to be very grateful for the opportunity having been released by the mighty Orient, and therefore, likley to be very cheap. Welcome to our new world.

[/quote]There''s no way Nelson can be the #1. Even Stevie Wonder can see that he''s useless. There must be a decent freebie knocking around; didn''t Roy Caroll get released?

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]I don''t think it would be a bad idea to make a move for Matty Gilks,  he hasn''t featured that much at Blackpool, only this week Dion Dublin cited his leaving as a part of City''s problems, Gilks I know is experienced in the lower leagues, he is strong, hard, Commands his area and can kick a bloody ball.  I think the Steer and Rudd are a little light wieght at the moment, and Nelson well if he was any good Orient wouldn''ty have let him go.

[/quote]Certainly not the worst option. That''s if it is an option at all.

[quote user="ncfclad"]

[quote user="Irish canary"]Hopefully we will get some decent money for Marshall at least, It''s quite clear from his statement he is another one of these players who does not give a sh*t about norwih city!! Bring back the days of rob green! It really shows why we''re relegated, Just wait for all the other names now aswell![/quote]

[/quote]

Isn''t hoolahan badly injured?  If that''s the case he may still be here at the end of transfer deadline.

Can''t pass a medical with a busted knee (or whatever it was).

[quote user="ncfclad"]

[/quote]

Isn''t hoolahan badly injured?  If that''s the case he may still be here at the end of transfer deadline.

Can''t pass a medical with a busted knee (or whatever it was).

Glad the first bit of business the club does is selling our keeper.  You would have perhaps thought changing the board, finding an invstor appointing a permament manager or trying to secure some contracts would have been more important.....

But oh no, no ned to rush that, let the anger die down and all will go back to burying thier heads in the sand

[quote user="ncfclad"]

[/quote]

I think the short answer to that is going - if he can.  He''ll need to be fully fit though.  Hoolahan is still on the "fringes" of the Republic squad and the new Manager has already said that, unlike his predecessors, he will not be interested in players who are in the lower leagues.

Over to the Hooligan''s agent I would say.

[quote user="kennyfoggo"]I don''t think it would be a bad idea to make a move for Matty Gilks,  he hasn''t featured that much at Blackpool, only this week Dion Dublin cited his leaving as a part of City''s problems, Gilks I know is experienced in the lower leagues, he is strong, hard, Commands his area and can kick a bloody ball.  I think the Steer and Rudd are a little light wieght at the moment, and Nelson well if he was any good Orient wouldn''ty have let him go.

[/quote]

That''s a good call Kenny Foggo. But all this just shows the folly of Grant paying 1m for a young goalkeeper with potential when we already had a young goalkeeper with potential. Soon both will be playing in the league above us. It was a waste of money at the time. A Matty Gilks type keeper with our youngsters is the way forward now and was then!