Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

The Squad !

Looking at the players listed under The Squad on the Pink Un homepage and deleting the players who have gone or who were on loan this is the list of what we have left (not including the reserve players).

Marshall and Croft look certain to go probably follwed by Clingan so the list does look pretty stark ! One thing that stands out for me is the need to keep Matty because he is tough, aggressive and has lots of energy and therefore perfectly equipped for the third division. However, given that he obviously fell out with Gunn it looks probable that he will go too. I have to say that our psopsects for next year don''t look good !

Jon Otsemobor

Stuart Nelson,

David Marshall,

Declan Rudd,

Lee Croft,

Darel Russell,

Adam Drury,

Dejan Stefanovic,

Gary Doherty,

Wes Hoolahan

Matty Pattison,

Jamie Cureton

Sammy Clingan,

Cody MacDonald

That''s useful, thanks Pete. How come I didn''t find that ! Of course, I forgot about Hoolahan and as our resident Wise Owl from Essex has said, he will probably be off too. The future''s looking less than bright.

It was only for reference and I didn''t upload it as we''ll have switched to the new site by the start of next season. Saw your post and thought I''d put it online for all to see over the summer.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

Looking at the players listed under The Squad on the Pink Un homepage and deleting the players who have gone or who were on loan this is the list of what we have left (not including the reserve players).

Marshall and Croft look certain to go probably follwed by Clingan so the list does look pretty stark ! One thing that stands out for me is the need to keep Matty because he is tough, aggressive and has lots of energy and therefore perfectly equipped for the third division. However, given that he obviously fell out with Gunn it looks probable that he will go too. I have to say that our psopsects for next year don''t look good !

Jon Otsemobor

Stuart Nelson,

David Marshall,

Declan Rudd,

Lee Croft,

Darel Russell,

Adam Drury,

Dejan Stefanovic,

Gary Doherty,

Wes Hoolahan

Matty Pattison,

Jamie Cureton

Sammy Clingan,

Cody MacDonald

[/quote]At the moment our priority must be Lee and then to assess the recovery

of Cort because for me last season we saw that unless you have some

height upfront then set pieces and crossing is an altogether futile

act. Lee as first choice with Cort as his back up - if nothing else the

one player who deserves a new contract for sheer sweat and blood Cort

is that man - coming from forgotten obscurity and needing fitness he

has done bloody well. In some games I believe he showed what he can

give and at least he has a genuine reason for being a bit rusty at

times.

Our team will be decimated over the next few weeks. We will be lucky if

we don''t loose at least four players - one of which is rumoured to

already be practically gone in Marshall. Any from Clingan, Cureton,

Russell, Pattison, Stefanovic, Doherty, Hoolahan and Semi. Not to

mention Croft who is yet to declare his intent and is probably talking

to other clubs.

That''s not even including the fact that we have also lost the loanees

from the last few months - Gow, Lee, Bertrand, Mooney, Shackel and

Carney.

We are already very short all over the pitch. bu = back up, not their first choice position - p = possibly leaving.

GK - Nelson, Rudd.

RB - Semmi, Spillaine(bu)

CB - Doherty, Spillaine, Stefanovic

LB - Drury

RM - Daley, Smith (bu), Martin (bu)

CM - Clingan (p - more than likely), Russell (p), Pattison (p - more than likely), Adeyemi, Smith, Spillaine.

LM - Hoolahan (p - more than likely)

STR - Cureton (p), MacDonald, Martin, Daley.

So there you have it. If wages are a problem then Cureton will jump up

to the even more likely to go list. We will essentially become what

Southampton were last season but in L1.

The sorry truth of the matter is that we could need players for every

position - what is the likelihood of that happening. Its enough to

throw you into disspare.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Lord Snooty"]

Jon Otsemobor

Stuart Nelson,

David Marshall,

Declan Rudd,

Lee Croft,

Darel Russell,

Adam Drury,

Dejan Stefanovic,

Gary Doherty,

Wes Hoolahan

Matty Pattison,

Jamie Cureton

Sammy Clingan,

Cody MacDonald

[/quote]

At the moment our priority must be Lee and then to assess the recovery of Cort because for me last season we saw that unless you have some height upfront then set pieces and crossing is an altogether futile act. Lee as first choice with Cort as his back up - if nothing else the one player who deserves a new contract for sheer sweat and blood Cort is that man - coming from forgotten obscurity and needing fitness he has done bloody well. In some games I believe he showed what he can give and at least he has a genuine reason for being a bit rusty at times.

Our team will be decimated over the next few weeks. We will be lucky if we don''t loose at least four players - one of which is rumoured to already be practically gone in Marshall. Any from Clingan, Cureton, Russell, Pattison, Stefanovic, Doherty, Hoolahan and Semi. Not to mention Croft who is yet to declare his intent and is probably talking to other clubs.

That''s not even including the fact that we have also lost the loanees from the last few months - Gow, Lee, Bertrand, Mooney, Shackel and Carney.

We are already very short all over the pitch. bu = back up, not their first choice position - p = possibly leaving.

GK - Nelson, Rudd.
RB - Semmi, Spillaine(bu)
CB - Doherty, Spillaine, Stefanovic
LB - Drury
RM - Daley, Smith (bu), Martin (bu)
CM - Clingan (p - more than likely), Russell (p), Pattison (p - more than likely), Adeyemi, Smith, Spillaine.
LM - Hoolahan (p - more than likely)
STR - Cureton (p), MacDonald, Martin, Daley.

So there you have it. If wages are a problem then Cureton will jump up to the even more likely to go list. We will essentially become what Southampton were last season but in L1.

The sorry truth of the matter is that we could need players for every position - what is the likelihood of that happening. Its enough to throw you into disspare.
[/quote]

Yes, securing the services of Lee is a must IMO. I agree regarding Cort. I only saw him play "in the flesh" on one occasion, 2nd half against Reading, and he won virtually every ball in the air and I think it''s fair to say that Duberry couldn''t handle him. In fact, Duberry ended up being booked for a hacking tackle on Cort which obviously stemmed from frustration. Interestingly, Lee was less effective against Reading the other week than Cort was away at Reading before Xmas but maybe the difference was that Bikey was unfit for the away match.

Cureton - I was always a fan of Cureton but now I am undecided. I think it true that Roeder did completely undermine Cureton''s confidence and that consequently JC also lost his fitness and self-discipline. I suppose the theory is that League One is now his level so he could be an asset. Fact is I prefer MacDonald over Cureton and the first 5/6 matches will show whether MacDonald will be good enough at league One level or whether what we have seen so far has been a case of "flattering to deceive". I suspect he will do well in League One and Cureton, if he can get himself properly fit, will be an excellent sub. Having said that, I am sure you are right that the club will be hoping to unload Cureton because of his wages............. but who is going to take him ? I can''t see any Championship club being interested.

I think we will be able to retain Russell and Stefanovic but I guess that Pattison will go if only because he fell out with Gunn. That will be a shame because Matty is a player for whom I have a high regard and I reckon he would be excellent in league One. I can''t see us buying Shax and I am not sure if I want that anyway. I am sure that Doherty will stay. All that having been said, unless money is made available for players, and I can''t see that happening, the reserve team players you mention will have to step up to the plate.