Sign in to follow this  
rjwc22

Sounds like a come and get me plea!

[quote user="rjwc22"]

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/scotland/news/2009/05/08/scotland-call-up-eased-my-relegation-nightmare-admits-david-marshall-86908-21341870/

Sounds like he is desperate to leave and play at the highest level.  Nice to hear he has been losing sleep since our relegation, shame he did not lose more in the run-in - might have made him focus more!

[/quote]

If we are to build for the future and we could get back what we paid for him (or make a little profit) it would be a good deal for all concerned. Give Declan Rudd a chance to build a career in a way that Joe Lewis was never allowed to.

Unfortunately, I can''t see anyone being interested.

That is my thinking too.  I do not think he has done enough to attract interest from the Prem and cannot see a champ club paying more than £500k or so for him.

Still guess he is on good money so think we will consider any decent offer for him to get the wages off our bill.

I can''t see a Premiership club buying him, and Championship clubs can probably get a better deal for their money. Maybe a SPL club?

Let us not be too hasty to unload a player who is def. better than most in L1...until we know the replacement. IMO Rudd is a year too soon and it would be harsh to stick a kid between the posts when SO much is at stake regarding our medium and long term future. Nelson on the other hand is simply not in the same league as Marshall.

And forget slashing wage bills. The board need to keep the few quality players here for one more year if we are to have ANY hope of promotion. You get out of a division by having quality worthy of the league above....not by shipping players in of that standard

If we can get anything for him I say sell.

Good keeper on his day but playing behind a dodgy and constantly changing defence has ruined him.

To be honest, the way the crowd jeered him during and at the end of the match against Charlton I wouldn''t blame him for wanting to get away and I think this would be the healthiest solution for all concerned. Personally, I think he''s a poor goalkeeper anyway.

Just shows what 2 faced c**ts most of these players are given that he came out in the local press last week saying he wants to stay and put things right and is not looking for a move. Frankly i didn''t expect him to want to stay and think we should cash in and play Rudd next season so i''m not that fussed if he does go but it does get on my nerves that these players think they can get away with making these hollow public statements and the idiot fans will all believe them!

Excellent on his day but generally an average keeper. if we can get £500K then bite their hand off.

Didn''t we pay around £1m for him?

Another great loss made if that is right.

At the end of the Charlton match Gunn told the players to go and acknowledge the fans. Marshall, in particular, was extremely reluctant to do so but was cajoled into coming to the "Norwich" end of the ground. He threw his shirt into the crowd (not sure but I think Gunn told the players to throw their shirts to the crowd) and the fans immediately responded by singing "you''re not fit to wear the shirt". He did receive a helluva lot of flak during the match and at the end so I am not surprised that he is keen to get the hell out of Carrow Road and, like I said on another thread, it''s the best solution for all particularly given that IMO he is not a poor to average goalkeeper anyway. The defence appear to have no confidence in him. The shame of it is that we let Joe Lewis go, I know, get over it and move on etc etc but it still hurts that Roeder offloaded a young goalkeeper who the club had been carefully nurturing for years and who was clearly good enough to occupy the number two keeper position.

Let''s just hope we don''t put too much pressure on Rudd or Steer as think we would look to make do with the 3 keepers still at the club rather than bringing another one in.

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

Let us not be too hasty to unload a player who is def. better than most in L1...until we know the replacement. IMO Rudd is a year too soon....

And forget slashing wage bills. The board need to keep the few quality players here for one more year if we are to have ANY hope of promotion. You get out of a division by having quality worthy of the league above....not by shipping players in of that standard

[/quote]

I couldn''t disagree more. This smacks of Roeder''s "inbetweeners" and reflects a problem around the hubris of the club and its fans that needs addressing before we can move on.

You get out of a division by having players that are good for the division you are in and who have the correct attributes to play in that league. WE have overpaid players who have underperformed for 15 years on your theory. Look at Preston - in the play offs even though their expenditure is much less than ours (I know, I know - non football largely but not entirely).

Selling Marshall and playing Rudd has two great advantages. First the saving on wages and fee could fund 2 or 3 League One players (perhaps Alan Lee??). Secondly it would give Rudd the opportunity that Lewis never had and enable Steer to step up as well. After a year of football he could be as valuable as Marshall - for free.

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

Let us not be too hasty to unload a player who is def. better than most in L1...until we know the replacement. IMO Rudd is a year too soon....

[/quote]

I couldn''t disagree more. This smacks of Roeder''s "inbetweeners" and reflects a problem around the hubris of the club and its fans that needs addressing before we can move on.

You get out of a division by having players that are good for the division you are in and who have the correct attributes to play in that league. WE have overpaid players who have underperformed for 15 years on your theory. Look at Preston - in the play offs even though their expenditure is much less than ours (I know, I know - non football largely but not entirely).

Selling Marshall and playing Rudd has two great advantages. First the saving on wages and fee could fund 2 or 3 League One players (perhaps Alan Lee??). Secondly it would give Rudd the opportunity that Lewis never had and enable Steer to step up as well. After a year of football he could be as valuable as Marshall - for free.

[/quote]

The likes of Swansea, Doncaster and Bristol City had Championship standard teams whilst playing in League 1. You need the extra class to get out of League One and provide a good foundation for the Championship.

Marshall is only 24 so is still only a youngster by goalkeeping standards so there is a good chance that he will get much better.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="BigFish"][quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The likes of Swansea, Doncaster and Bristol City had Championship standard teams whilst playing in League 1. You need the extra class to get out of League One and provide a good foundation for the Championship.

Marshall is only 24 so is still only a youngster by goalkeeping standards so there is a good chance that he will get much better.

[/quote]

It shows what you know Tom[:P]