Sign in to follow this  
manbearpig

Colin Calderwood

In today''s sun it says that Colin Calderwood is going to get the job over Bryan Gunn, I really hope this is not true and just the usual bull that''s in the sun.

He wouldn''t be my first choice. But he knows how to get a team out of this division, it was when he got promoted that he cocked things up. A Forest fan did suggest him to me when we were discussing who should be the next manager. Would rather Gannon or Robins though.

It was a strange situation at Forest because from what I know, he never won the fans over completely even when they got promoted.  I''ve never been sure why this is.  Any ideas?

[quote user="JJ"]

It was a strange situation at Forest because from what I know, he never won the fans over completely even when they got promoted.  I''ve never been sure why this is.  Any ideas?

[/quote]

they were rubbish they year they got promotion playing boring defensive football and in the end got lucky in sneaking promotion

My mates a forest fan and he says he was a rubbish manager who couldn''t get the best out of a squad easily good enough to get out of the league.

Personally i think this would be a terrible choice.

He''s basically no different to employing Gunn!

A swift google search produced this;[img]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/d/d5/Calderwood_out.jpg/180px-Calderwood_out.jpg[/img]

He''s crap. Watched forest loads of times in league one when he was manager. If you think the football we played last year was crap then you''ll be in for a shock if we make him manager. Believe me, things would get worse.

Asked a question on the Northampton Rivals site about his time there - he was there for two and half years and left in May 2006. Only one response so far, so unlikely to be a representative sample.

"Calderwood took 3 seasons to get us out of the 4th division with the divisions largest budget, you should look elsewhere, good luck next season , pissed off about our relegation and missing a trip to Norwich."

You won''t like me then, for I bring bad news....It''s a done deal - you''re set to appoint him next week. Won''t reveal source but feel free to come back in a weeks time or so and have a rant if I''m/source is wrong.So, what''s he like:Mainly his naivety let Forest down at crucial points, when we could have gone up but succumbed to Yeovil it was down to zero squad depth. We released our only right midfielder, who was conviniently our set piece taker too, and slid down the table remarkably fast.When we went up, again it was only just and the following season a total lack of squad depth meant we ended up relying on U18''s and loans.Now, positives, he''s a nice bloke, works really hard and seems genuine - maybe not the greatest qualities of a football manager but I''m sure after the Delia debacle that might soften some angst. He''s young too, learning so he can improve. Plays on the deck football. Decent record too. You could do worse.

If he''s got the job then look forward to naive defensive tactics, half decent signings, an old premiership pro signing up and not lasting the season and a squad not big enough to sail a dingy never mind get a club promoted. Hes a really nice guy and will say all the right things but I never wanted him at Forest and despite him fluking promotion I wish he''d been sacked in the summer. If youve got any questions about him feel free to ask [:)]

[quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

How long have you got? [:D]

I would not be against Calderwood being appointed manager. I actually suggested him before Roeder was appointed. Young manager who has been learning his trade in the lower divisions and has no relegation on his cv.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I would not be against Calderwood being appointed manager. I actually suggested him before Roeder was appointed. Young manager who has been learning his trade in the lower divisions and has no relegation on his cv.

[/quote]

I knew a bloke once who had no relegation on his cv.  Indeed, when he was fired the club were quite well placed in the league table and given half a chance some might go for that now.

And later in his life his boss got rung up by Roger Munby who wondered if he would like to have a second go at being fired again.

(And it wasn''t Munby''s idea)

Funny old game football I think we can all agree.[8-|]

knows the players and teams in the league, knowa how to get out of the league, might tempt clingan into staying

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I knew a bloke once who had no relegation on his cv.  Indeed, when he was fired the club were quite well placed in the league table and given half a chance some might go for that now.

And later in his life his boss got rung up by Roger Munby who wondered if he would like to have a second go at being fired again.

(And it wasn''t Munby''s idea)

Funny old game football I think we can all agree.[8-|]

[/quote]

if  your refering to worthy ? what was that in 2005 if it wasn`t a relegation ? it certainly felt like relegation   [:D]

I would rather keep Gunn than have Calderwood and that really is saying something.

Another Newcastle coach with bit part management experience does not strike me as wise.

Gannon or Paul Jewell for me.

This would be typical of our board!!

We''re concerned that they will appoint Gunny, for a number of reasons - prefering instead someone with experience and a history of relative managerial success, so they manage to appoint a manager who has enjoyed a scrap of success but seemingly done so under a cloud whilst at Northampton and Forest. Hardly something to get excited about when the club is in dire need of a positive step forward to unify and lift supporters!

[quote user="rjwc22"]

I would rather keep Gunn than have Calderwood and that really is saying something.

Another Newcastle coach with bit part management experience does not strike me as wise.

[/quote]Jewell? Based on his fantastic track record at Derby?

[quote user="rjwc22"]

[/quote]

LOL, he''s been Newcastle coach for a couple of months only, and has more experience in management than Gannon.

He''s alright, has a habit of bringing good players in but doesn''t have the greatest idea of how to gel them together as a team.It took him three years to get Northampton promoted, and two at Forest where again, he had the biggest budget in terms of wages and transfer fee''s by an absolute mile. We choked in his first season after being something like eight points clear at at Christmas, big defeats like 5-0 at Oldham didn''t help.It is true that the fans never really took to him, unproven, not a great deal of charisma and poor football at times did little to help his cause. And despite promotion, the majority were never that keen.But his blueprint was to get the club promoted, and he did it - just took him a year longer than it should have done. So, in many ways he''d sort your club out. Bring in some good young players and maybe focus on the Norwich area, like he did in Nottingham - trying to bring in local players that knew what it meant to play for a club like Forest.But I doubt he''d get you up at the first attempt - and unless you do what Milan Mandaric has done at Leicester (which seems highly unlikely with your current board) then it''s doubtful that you would get promoted in the first season, though you never know I guess.