Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Best Eleven

I have been thinking about this for a while now but thought I would leave it a while but now 10 games in to the season with no win I feel it’s relevant.  What is our best 11?  I don’t know but then it’s not my job to.  I am not having a go at NW but I don’t think he knows what his best team is.  We need some continuity, he needs to pick a team and keep it for 5 games.  It is constantly changing Helveg & Jonson we’re dropped after one game and there are lots more cases like .  Bentley is in and out all the time,  we have had no strike pairing together for more than a couple of games.  It’s not as if the players are in need of a rest or injured, we have only been playing one game a week!

Pick a team and keep it!

To be honest i think eventally are starting line up will be.

Green

Edworthy Doherty Charlton Drury

Jonson Francis Safri Huckerby

new signing mckenzie

i agree. i think once he finds the right team we will be fine. The wins will start coming and we would climb the table. At the moment i would go with:

Green

Eddy  Fleming  Charlton  Drury

Jonson  Francis  Holt/Safri
                                   Huckerby

McKenzie  Svensson

Subs: Bentley, McVeigh, Safri/holt, Brennan, Ward

Spot on Northern Canary - after Svensson''s enlightened performance on Saturday, I think he''d be right to partner Leon and leave Huckerby to do some serious damage down the left flank.

But also being allowed to come inside when he saw fit to do so.

My best punt would beGreenHelveg Charlton Docherty/Fleming/new signing DruryJonson New Signing Francis Bentley Huckerby New signing

SubsWard, Mackenzie, McVeigh, Eddie, (Jarvis, Sven, Flem, Holt, Doc)As you can see I think we need the spine of the team strengthened and all need to be of a similar quality to Hux - ie unlikely we will sign them. What a shame we didnt push for Youri, although I see Bolton are now looking at Manu Petit - concerns about his committment perhaps but with his vision and Francis'' energy would make a good central pairing.OTBC

Spot on Northern Canary, Huckerby on the left and Sven and Leon up front.  Those who don´t include Fleming want their arses kicking! 

I can''t believe some of the posts on this thread suggesting Flem be dropped for Doherty! And for the very last time HUCKERBY ISN''T A CENTRE FORWARD, STOP PUTTING HIM THERE! ARGH!

Listen one and all for this is our best eleven: FACT

Green

Eddy / Flem / Charlton / Drury

Jonson, McVeigh or Bentley / Holt / Francis / Hucks

Leon / Sven

The key problem with playing Huckerby up front is simple. He is our best player. If you mark him out of the game then we''re in trouble. If he''s up front, he''s going to be man marked throughout. If he''s on the left of midfield or just behind the front two, the defence have no choice but to mark Leon and Sven leaving Hucks open to cause all kinds of damage so please please stop putting him as a centre forward in your best XI''s!

Its all about opinions - I agree Hux is not a centre forward - I just feel as strongly that he is not a left midfielder, but is a striker and there is a distinct difference. Defoe, Owen and Rooney are not centre forwards but they are all strikers who happen to finish better than Hux.

As for the defence there are problems there - 17 goals in 10 games and -8 goal difference confirms this and is relegation form. There isnt much between charlton or Fleming but a change or an improvement is needed.

OTBC

Beds Canary ;-

Your team is the team that started the 2nd half against Everton and I agree its our best from our current squad with the exception of the 4th midfielder where you seem undecided.

I can''t believe anyone can seriously suggesting bring Doherty or Helveg into the starting line-up. Both have been poor in the games they''ve played so far and I can''t indulge the excuses for their performances.

Doherty looks slow and ponderous and not as good in the air as a player with his height should be. I''d pick Fleming instead of him anyday. Indeed, I''d pick Shackell instead of him too.
Helveg''s pedigree may be flattering but he can''t pass a ball in midfield so I wouldn''t risk him defence. The league is littered with a history of imports who''ve performed well in the Euros/world cup and then been disappointing in the English domestic leagues.

as for the 4th midfielder there''s little to choose between the 3 you mention. Jonson looks lethargic and Bentley is all showboating with no end-product. McVeigh probably has the edge although he''s very average and tends to disappear from the game. Personally, I would give Hendo a chance on the right OR bring Brennan in from the cold on the left (which will provide defensive support for Adam) and switch Huckerby over to the right where he''s equally comfortable.

Fillet, I am amazed as to how you can write off Helveg after the few appearances he has made and then suggest starting, Hendo or Brennan

At the end of the day we are all entitled to opinions, but, and this is the important bit, we only get to see the players once or twice a week.  The coaching staff and management work with them day in day out and know all the little injuries, weaknesses, strengths etc. etc.  I am confident they will get it right.

"Huckerby isn''t a striker and never will be" . If i remember rightly we conceded 4 goals last season against rotherham last season when Hucks was played on the left. I think its got to be either McKenzie or Hucks with Sven. Line in Iwans book where worthy says to Iwan " i made a mistake against Bradford starting with hucks and McKenzie- they are too similar" - whats changed??

if Helveg is the world-class player we were led to believe he was then I would have expected to see some evidence of this despite the position he was chosen for or the time on the pitch. we''re a 1/4 of the way thru the season, 19th and without a win. how long do we persevere with some players?i''m only suggesting Brennan or Hendo as an alternative to the 4th midfielder quandry which the previous poster has implied (and with which I agree). Neither have played this season and might not be an improvement but - based on last eason - they deserve their chance as much as those who''ve ahd theirs and failed.

Fillet on the basis you have judged Helveg will you dispose of Brennan etc after 2 matches if they are no better?  Helveg has started three games, completed none of them yet 7 days after being hailed as a star (equally absurdly based on a 15 min sub performance) is now being crucified!  The same should apply to any other player no matter who they are if that is your view.

Why not drop Greeno - after all he has just conceeded 3 goals again; why not Hux - he hasnt scored in open play since the opening game of the season.

Remember how we treat players coming back from injury - they generally need 5-6 consecutive games to build up fitness and get to match speed.  Where is that allowance for any other city signings?  After half a dozen games and a fair crack of the whip with no signs of performance yes they should be dropped - Helveg has not had that chance.  Look at Jonson - he started shakily but has improved game after game - he will continueto do so and will undoubtedly be a key player.  Helveg is likely to be the same.  On that basis I feel we should pesevere with Leon/Hux as the signs are that the chances are coming (which they werent before they were partnered) and they will be converted soon

Finally I was interested to see that for the 1st 8 games Everton had the fewest changes to their starting line up of any prem side - just 8.  Manure had an astonishing 24.  Not sure what ours is but continuity on the pitch is as important as managerial stability.

OTBC