Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Marshall joining Cardiff

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Old Shuck"]Did Marshall ask for a transfer/put in a transfer request?If not, don''t we have to pay his contract up?[/quote]No, Cardiff bought him from us, no doubt using a release clause in his contract. [/quote]Exactly what I said this morning,  Cardiff have got him for next to nothing.  That''s what annoys me,  shelled out best part of a million with a return of next to nothing.  You can argue all day how good or bad he was.

Gotta laugh at the ''worst keeper in our history'' comments.

How long have you people been watching Norwich? 2 weeks?! Well, it''s either that or you''re just plain stupid.

Shame to see Marshall go. He''d have been easily the best ''keeper in League 1, and would undoubtedly have been more solid once we''d sorted out that shambles of a defense. I doubt there''s a ''keeper in the country who''d look very solid behind that back 4.

He got a lot of very unfair stick.

I''ve been watching Norwich a little bit longer than two weeks and have savoured many fine keepers. Of those the regular, established keepers have been Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Marshall, Green for the last 40 odd years. The only one he could get near is his namesake and he is an awful long way behind the other four.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Gotta laugh at the ''worst keeper in our history'' comments.

How long have you people been watching Norwich? 2 weeks?! Well, it''s either that or you''re just plain stupid.

Shame to see Marshall go. He''d have been easily the best ''keeper in League 1, and would undoubtedly have been more solid once we''d sorted out that shambles of a defense. I doubt there''s a ''keeper in the country who''d look very solid behind that back 4.

He got a lot of very unfair stick.

I''ve been watching Norwich a little bit longer than two weeks and have savoured many fine keepers. Of those the regular, established keepers have been Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Marshall, Green for the last 40 odd years. The only one he could get near is his namesake and he is an awful long way behind the other four.

[/quote]IMO he was better than Andy Marshall and better than Gallacher.  But yes, he''s nowhere near the other four you name.  But then, it''s harsh to say he''s the worst keeper in our history.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

[/quote]

Whats the point in making him stick to his contract if he doesn''t want to be here?

Cardiff City to sign Norwich City goalkeeper David Marshall

Norwich City have accepted a six-figure bid from Cardiff City for David

Marshall, the Scotland goalkeeper.

Marshall was one of Norwich''s best performers as the club slipped to

relegation to the third tier of English football for the first time since

1959-60. The 24-year-old expressed his desire to move on to preserve his

international career.

"We can confirm we have agreed a fee with a Championship club for David

Marshall, but there is nothing further to add at this stage," a Norwich

statement read. "When we have anything more to announce, we will

announce it."

Peter Ridsdale, the Cardiff chairman, has since revealed it is the Welsh side

who have made the offer.

After appearing for Scotland B last week, Marshall said: "I want to play

at the highest level as quickly as I can. If a club came in, I would be

silly to turn it down and stay in a lesser league but the right move has got

to come up.

"Norwich need to be happy to let me go as well, so it''s out of my hands a

little bit."

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Good, bugger off![/quote]

Seconded.

[/quote]

out of order!!

good keeper, and kept us in many games last season!!

Good, don''t usually support our players being sold, but in 35 years of watching city he is the worst Norwich keeper we''ve had IMO

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]Good, don''t usually support our players being sold, but in 35 years of watching city he is the worst Norwich keeper we''ve had IMO[/quote]You obviously must have missed quite a few in that time then BB… not a Keelan, Gunn, Green or Woods… but worst? Do me a favour!

bad news as i feel marshall was a good goalkeeper but at the same time feel it is necessary to get funds + we have rudd

not disapointed at all good shotstopper but less than average at everything else hope we put the transfer money to good use.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]Good, don''t usually support our players being sold, but in 35 years of watching city he is the worst Norwich keeper we''ve had IMO[/quote]

You obviously never watch Graham Benstead, Roger Hansbury, Simon Tracey.

Marshall was a good keeper and gained us a lot more points than he lost us.

A good deal for everyone.  Marshall wasn''t going to play in Lge 1 with his international ambitions, we need the cash, Cardiff need a keeper, everyone''s a winner.  Lets get a solid, experienced number one in now and put Rudd on the bench.

[quote user="crab"]Good riddance. Worst keeper in our history. Probably the one player who contributed most to our relegation.[/quote]i think Paul Gallacher, Paul Crichton and Simon Tracey would have something to say about that!!he has had a poor season but had the odd good game - he pretty much won the 3 points against forest by himself. definately time to go though, i think he has potential to be a quality keeper but almost didn''t seem bothered in some games for us when the sh!t started to hit the fan. he also seemed to get nutmeged pretty much every time he found himself in a1 on 1 situation which was very frustrating

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"]Good, don''t usually support our players being sold, but in 35 years of watching city he is the worst Norwich keeper we''ve had IMO[/quote]

You obviously must have missed quite a few in that time then BB… not a Keelan, Gunn, Green or Woods… but worst? Do me a favour!
[/quote]

Simon Tracey I will give you was worse, but only here on loan if memory serves. The keepers you mention along with the other Marshall form the vast majority of the years that I have followed City, and it''s not that he''s not as good as those you mention, he''s not even remotely anywhere near them. God knows we have always needed a reliable keeper as a Norwich keeper is always likely to be busy. I may have a mental block regarding Hansbury or Benstead as I cannot remember either playing many games.

Ok give me your opinion, even if he couldn''t kick straight and went on to become a scummer, which Marshall would you take? I would take Andy Marshall over David Marshall, and believe he was only at the minimum standard we need.

andy turncoat marshall was twice the keeper of his name sake ,the bloke was a joke  never gets off his line from corners ,doesnt dominate his six yard box ,distribution poor  other than saving some good shots what did he ever do . those of us who went to charlton found out in the first half hour  fxxx all

I always think marshall looked nervous or lacking confidence. Good shot stopper but poor at collecting crosses and commanding his area. No great loss if you ask me. We need all the cash we can get now anyway. Serious squad rebuilding has to be done. Clingan to go next I reckon!

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

dont agree that we dont see other keepers mistakes.. we see 23 other keepers at Carrow Road every week... none make the howlers that Marshall does

and with TV being everywhere in the Premiership and Championship mistakes will be highlighted.

Nelson not being up to it doesnt wash with me either... people think Marshall is "good" purely because he once played for Celtic, conversely people think Nelson is "bad" because he played over 100 games for Leyton Orient....

the same Leyton Orient who could well finish above us next season...

Nelson knows this division, yes he is fiery and has had a run in with the Swindon fans that came back to bite him on the arris but he is an experieanced keeper who knows how physical this league will be and will be able to advise his defenders accordingly..

Marshall would just mooch around the box pretending to care.. like the fat kid at school he makes no effort and occasionally does something good... litter picking is more his thing.

jas :)

[/quote]

you dont know what your talking about mate! i speak regulary with a brentford fan who sais he is awfull. very escentric and cannot catch for toffee.

marshall is a quality young keeper who will only improve, his shot stopping is superb and considering a position in the league our goals against aint that terrible - why do you think that is?

[/quote]

yes.. his shot stopping is so superb he pushed the ball out to Burton against Charlton for them to score..

theres more to Goalkeppeing then just shot stopping, distribution, command of the penalty area, using your voice and the ability to come for the ball are all skills a keeper needs.

If playing in goal was standing there and letting the ball hit you in the face we''d all be goalkeepers wouldnt we?

jas :)

Juts noticed who his agent was...Willie McKay..no wonder he couldn''t wait to leave...the agent needed his 10% of the transfer fee!

I thought Marshall was ok but nothing exceptional as a goalkeeper and so I''m not too upset at his departure. Replacing him will be the least of our problems, as there are plenty of good ''keepers out there. I''m sure that finding good defenders, midfielders and strikers will be much more difficult for whoever is manager (it will be Gunn, I''m sure).

Marshall gone to Cardiff for £400.000 supposedly, thats a brilliant bit of business, lost £600.000. on him, good old norwich