Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Marshall joining Cardiff

[quote user="CaptnCanary"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Norwich City fan Mark Tyler anyone?[/quote] Pete, whats wrong with the quote button these days? Whenever I use it, it comes out in a mess like this ^[/quote]

Depends on your browser or PC/Mac....

[quote user="CaptnCanary"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Norwich City fan Mark Tyler anyone?[/quote]

Pete, whats wrong with the quote button these days? Whenever I use it, it comes out in a mess like this ^[/quote]What browser type do you use? Looks to me like a scripting error caused by browser non-compatibility - the message board software''s quite old and may not work with newer browers e.g. Chrome.

I really dont mind us cashing in on David Marshall.  Yes he is a good goalkeeper but we do have options, I just hope this board have the teeth to negotiate a good fee for him.  We simply must not sell him at a loss.

Of course we will never know this as the not very tansparent, teflon coated Mr Doncaster will never tell us.

Marshall for me is a weak link in our defence, he is the quietest I have ever known too, he never commands his area, In my playing days the 18 yrd box was mine, so what has happened to todays Keepers in general, but look what we have left Rudd ,Nelson, Steer. no need to push the panic button as I think anyone of them could do a fine job in L1   

I''m surprised that he''ll be the first to leave out of the whole squad, but I''m not all that dissapointed. I think you have to question how much he really cares about the club if he''s prepared to jump ship instantly; he clearly doesn''t think we can get straight back up. What annoys me is that he hasn''t even said that he would stay and fight for the club that saved him from reserve team football at Celtic.He''s a very average keeper that is made to look marginally better by the rest of our weak squad. If we had a squad of consistantly good players, I have no doubt Marshall would stand out as the weak link that he really is.

We have no chance of getting back the money we paid for him. Relegated teams need to get rid of high wage earners quickly and clubs know this. More importantly is the fact that Marshall has done nothing at Norwich to enhance his value. He came to us from a big club with some European experience and leaves us after two poor seasons and relegation which he played a big part in achieving.

£500,000 at best and he is not worth that.

Good luck to him. He''s not THAT bad a GK and to be fair he''s not exactly been helped by the defence very often, especially in the first half of the season. We could certainly do with the money and we''d be foolish not to cash in on him while we have the chance. If we hold onto him and he has a dodgy game for Scotland in future people might lose interest and thus we''ll miss the boat. We''ll find a replacement eventually, plus we''ve already got good cover in Declan Rudd should Nelson get called up as first choice keeper. #

How has Nelson played in the reserves this season?  

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

dont agree that we dont see other keepers mistakes.. we see 23 other keepers at Carrow Road every week... none make the howlers that Marshall does

and with TV being everywhere in the Premiership and Championship mistakes will be highlighted.

Nelson not being up to it doesnt wash with me either... people think Marshall is "good" purely because he once played for Celtic, conversely people think Nelson is "bad" because he played over 100 games for Leyton Orient....

the same Leyton Orient who could well finish above us next season...

Nelson knows this division, yes he is fiery and has had a run in with the Swindon fans that came back to bite him on the arris but he is an experieanced keeper who knows how physical this league will be and will be able to advise his defenders accordingly..

Marshall would just mooch around the box pretending to care.. like the fat kid at school he makes no effort and occasionally does something good... litter picking is more his thing.

jas :)

[/quote]

you dont know what your talking about mate! i speak regulary with a brentford fan who sais he is awfull. very escentric and cannot catch for toffee.

marshall is a quality young keeper who will only improve, his shot stopping is superb and considering a position in the league our goals against aint that terrible - why do you think that is?

I remember when we had him on loan from Celtic and I commented that I wasn''t convinced by him. I was shot down by some people for doubting him and I think some of those people are now amongst his biggest critics on here (If I remember correctly).

Anyway...I think he''s a pretty decent ''keeper with the potential to get better. But it''s kind of worrying that he hasn''t really improved at all since he''s been here.

Hopefully any money from his sale can be used to bring in some new players. Although obviously we''re going to need another ''keeper as well now unless we really want to risk using a youngster who has never played senior professional football or a guy who has had a mixed career in the lower leagues and has been bench warming for a year.

If only we''d have signed Lee Camp. Did well on loan, was more proven and would have cost a lot less.

this was the only positive of getting relegated getting rid of that

over rated GK that actually cost us at least 6 points through his

errors

[quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]

[quote user="CaptnCanary"][quote user="Sports Desk - Pete"]Norwich City fan Mark Tyler anyone?[/quote] Pete, whats wrong with the quote button these days? Whenever I use it, it comes out in a mess like this ^[/quote]

Depends on your browser or PC/Mac....

[/quote]

I''m using Internet Explorer 8. It also worked fine with IE7.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]Karl, do you honestly think with this lot in charge we are going to have any players other than the youth players? More likely they will be the only players available to throw in at the deep end.[/quote]

I would be happier to throw youth players in at the deep end than to develop other people''s players on loan or buy over rated oldies for a short term job. It''s about time our academy started producing some regular first team players, perhaps this will give those youngsters the chance they need.

As far as getting rid of players ...... there are only a couple I would like to keep as the rest must be part of the poorest squad we have had in decades and the sooner they go the better.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

The board do not have any choice.  If wage cuts are brought in their current contract is invalid and a new one has to be renegotiated.  The player does not have to accept the wage cut and if their Agent can get them out they will do so.

The agents representing Norwich players, Charlton, Southampton  will have been hitting the phones for weeks just as the Agents in those threatened with relegation from the Premier League will have been hitting the phones for weeks.

[/quote]You still trying to explain the real world to football fans? LOLThey no listen..... they prefer their own little world of make believe........

Gotta laugh at the ''worst keeper in our history'' comments.

How long have you people been watching Norwich? 2 weeks?! Well, it''s either that or you''re just plain stupid.

Shame to see Marshall go. He''d have been easily the best ''keeper in League 1, and would undoubtedly have been more solid once we''d sorted out that shambles of a defense. I doubt there''s a ''keeper in the country who''d look very solid behind that back 4.

He got a lot of very unfair stick.

A good goalkeeper relies on a good defence in front of him.Marshall had neither a good defence nor a good team per say in front of him.You can''t blame it all on Marshall and if he leaves who have we got between the sticks? anyone care to answer?

[quote user="cosmos67"]A good goalkeeper relies on a good defence in front of him.Marshall had neither a good defence nor a good team per say in front of him.You can''t blame it all on Marshall and if he leaves who have we got between the sticks? anyone care to answer?[/quote]That defence also altered so many times during the season. Forming an understanding with an everchanging defence in front of you must have been a nightmare.

Heard people mention Nelson  stepping up to replace Marshall but as far as I remember he only signed a 1 year deal so technically hes no longer a city keeper either. Unless of course that was just more crap from the board like the Chippy contract and he actually signed a 15 year deal.

[quote user="cosmos67"]A good goalkeeper relies on a good defence in front of him.Marshall had neither a good defence nor a good team per say in front of him.You can''t blame it all on Marshall and if he leaves who have we got between the sticks? anyone care to answer?[/quote]

While I agree with the point you make, part of a good defence is having a goalkeeper who can lead the way. That very much isn''t Marshy.

No point him staying if he doesn''t want to be here so he can sod off [:)] plus I''ve never been too impressed.

We paid £900k for him if my memory serves me right so lest hope we got at least £750k ish for him.

Did Marshall ask for a transfer/put in a transfer request?If not, don''t we have to pay his contract up?

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Did Marshall ask for a transfer/put in a transfer request?If not, don''t we have to pay his contract up?[/quote]No, Cardiff bought him from us, no doubt using a release clause in his contract.