Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- Rumours of possible signings, Clarke.

The Sun today (p49) has it that we are after Billy Clarke - sounds good to me. I''m thinking Alan Lee may have recommended him as well. If we got him and we had him and Lee up front I''d be delighted - Clake is highly rated with all the clubs he was on loan with.

A forward line of Ex-scummers  and Irishmen .that sounds OK to me I don''t giv a flyin F where they come from as long as they can do their stuff, and of course bring the Luck of the irish with them....

To be honest it would be good to have another young striker on board but where would that leave our own young strikers?At the moment we have: Cureton, Cody, Martin and Daley can also play there. Should Cureton leave (come on Barnsley you relegated us so do the good thing and sign the striker that helped you!!!). They are all the small men type strikers as is Billy Clarke who is about the same height as Cureton.At the moment our priority must be Lee and then to assess the recovery of Cort because for me last season we saw that unless you have some height upfront then set pieces and crossing is an altogether futile act. Lee as first choice with Cort as his back up - if nothing else the one player who deserves a new contract for sheer sweat and blood Cort is that man - coming from forgotten obscurity and needing fitness he has done bloody well. In some games I believe he showed what he can give and at least he has a genuine reason for being a bit rusty at times.Our team will be decimated over the next few weeks. We will be lucky if we don''t loose at least four players - one of which is rumoured to already be practically gone in Marshall. Any from Clingan, Cureton, Russell, Pattison, Stefanovic, Doherty, Hoolahan and Semi. Not to mention Croft who is yet to declare his intent and is probably talking to other clubs.That''s not even including the fact that we have also lost the loanees from the last few months - Gow, Lee, Bertrand, Mooney, Shackel and Carney.We are already very short all over the pitch. bu = back up, not their first choice position - p = possibly leaving.GK - Nelson, Rudd.RB - Semmi, Spillaine(bu)CB - Doherty, Spillaine, StefanovicLB - DruryRM - Daley, Smith (bu), Martin (bu)CM - Clingan (p - more than likely), Russell (p), Pattison (p - more than likely), Adeyemi, Smith, Spillaine.LM - Hoolahan (p - more than likely)STR - Cureton (p), MacDonald, Martin, Daley.So there you have it. If wages are a problem then Cureton will jump up to the even more likely to go list. We will essentially become what Southampton were last season but in L1.The sorry truth of the matter is that we could need players for every position - what is the likelihood of that happening. Its enough to throw you into disspare.

It is worrying to think how weak our squad is going to be when compared to the rest of league 1.  Not sure if the kids will be able to cope with the bruising physicality of the league either.

Looks like the Sun have been getting their rumours from the pink''un, I''d be very surprised if we signed Clarke.  Many of my Ipswich supporting mates believe he would be ok for us, but not if we got back into the Championship.

I would not put anything past this board - we are happy to sell people before the managerial situation is resolved so see no reason why we would not buy before then as well.

[quote user="rjwc22"]It is worrying to think how weak our squad is going to be when compared to the rest of league 1.  Not sure if the kids will be able to cope with the bruising physicality of the league either.[/quote]I know League One is meant to be physical and of course we have to take that into account - but - Clarke, Cureton, Chris Martin have all proved they can score in Lge 1 and 2 and there are numerous other examples. Everyone bangs on about the physicality of our new division, yes they may be big, but they are also slow, hence small strikers can do well. It''s all about perspective - some strikers in Lge one will be in awe of  Gary Doherty - just goes to show.

At least free and youngHe should be really motivated after being let go and did score loads of goals in the lower divisions.Would rather have him for the season than paying to loan another arsenal starlet

Let''s get N''Guessan from League two Lincoln!! Would be a shoe in for the right hand side position which is soon to be vacated. Think he can play centrally too.Another player i was impressed by was Ben Davies of Shrewsbury. Good attacking player with decent set piece ability!

Lee Hughes amongst 5 released by Oldham. Don''t like the guy for what he did but scores goals for fun. Scored 25 in 51 games for Oldham.

Youre right, but lets get Huckerby back, he would be fine in that bruising physicality.

[quote user="rjwc22"]It is worrying to think how weak our squad is going to be when compared to the rest of league 1.  Not sure if the kids will be able to cope with the bruising physicality of the league either.[/quote]