Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Do the club actually want to stay up?

Of course the Club wants to go back down the Board & management have done nothing to keep us up. They decided that this season would just be 1 long holiday & they will go back to work in August next year. We can all see that no effort is being made in Stand rebuilding, squad rebuilding, no new coaches coming in & a general lack of effort by everyone. Even the supporters have stopped singing & the club is no longer together. Anyway I''m off on my holidays & I will see everyone next August when hopefully we start trying to win again. Thank god it was only a dream.

[quote]Of course the Club wants to go back down the Board & management have done nothing to keep us up. They decided that this season would just be 1 long holiday & they will go back to work in August next ...[/quote]

"Of course the Club wants to go back down"!  But of course.  It''s the master plan to be relegated - Delia, Wynne-o, Nige etc. have all placed massive bets in Malaysia on us finishing with fewer than 10 points.  We''ll then buy up the entire Arsenal squad in July and storm back to the Prem in 2006, assured of winning it at the first go.

Since I assume your post is dripping with pure sarcasm, nice work iihtwoas! 

1st Wizard.

Why on earth Harewood for $5.

I''d prefer Beattie for $8m or Michael Owen for a cut price $10m.

Puzzles me why the Board didn''t take out a 30 year mortgage and go after Wayne Rooney.

No d*mn ambition. 

Too bad. So sad.

Yeah, it''s funny how both these big long threads have come round to discussing the same thing!

I did try and divert the other one on to the subject of loopy managers but it just came back again!

I haven''t waded in to this one yet so here goes.

Firstly banana, i''d be careful what you say about Earnshaw. I had a certain Eidur Gudjohnsson in my fantasy team when the season started. He scored on the opening day of the season and i thought wahey! But after that he "couldn''t hit a cow''s..." and Chelsea were struggling to score. So come transfer window out he went.
Next game - hat-trick!

Earnshaw will start scoring. And when he does, we better have someone in place doing the same or it''s gut nacht vienna. So i totally understand where DD and Wiz are coming from.

We look good enough to stay up, everyone keeps saying we''re good enough to stay up and the more i hear impartial third parties like Woods, Wenger, MARCUS BENT for god''s sake, saying it, the more i feel like we''re doomed!

So what is undeniable to all, is that we''re a 15 goal a season striker away from safety. Things aren''t normally that simple but this is. We''re hearing it from all quarters, we see it week in week out, the pundits know it, we know it, the manager knows it.

This, i believe, is what DD (and of course, the wizard) has realised and that therefore, we should do whatever it takes and pay whatever it takes to get that striker that will keep us up. And much as i''ve usually been on the prudent side of this perennial debate, i can''t see any argument with that.

Yes it''s hard to find that elusive person and maybe when/if he comes, for the first few games he won''t be able to hit a barn window with a cow or whatever the analogy is, but there is NO excuse for not trying.

[quote]Thanks Wiz. I like your thinking, and I could be persuaded that Harewood could do the biz. Pardew is a plank for playing him on the wing. Have heard a lot of rumours he is lazy both on the pitch and i...[/quote]

When I said £5M, that was just a ball park figure.  My main thrust was just for the club to spend reasonable money to help keep us up.  So if they did here''s who I would go for ( only one of course!):

Jason Roberts

Nathan Ellington

Craig Bellamy (Incredibly talented player who Worthy could sort out if needed)

Shola Ameobi

Marlon Harewood (might not spend £5M but think he would be an excellent addition)

Darren Bent (yep thats right a Binner but a bloody talented one at that)

Thats my list off the top of my head.  All those players would (IMO anyway) cost between £2.5- 5M.  They all have the ability to keep us in the Premiership and i think our cause would be helped no end with one of them alongside Leon up front

[quote]When I said £5M, that was just a ball park figure. My main thrust was just for the club to spend reasonable money to help keep us up. So if they did here''s who I would go for ( only one of course!):...[/quote]

Bit of an identity crisis here, the wizard and DD singing from the same hymn sheet all the way through. Now DD is claiming the wizards words. Powerful magics indeed wizard controlling the mind of your familiar.

We ask again, where will the money come from?

If we could get Bellamy for £5m that would be worth breaking the bank for - it way under estimates his value. An annoying twerp at the best of times but young and extremely talented who produces it on the pitch - especially now his injuries sem to have finished - that is pure fantasy football DDiM.Roberts and Ellington will get promoted with Wigan who pay far better wages than we do so I see no joy there. Shola is an interesting option if we can get him for a couple of mill, but the best of that lot would be Darren Bent - strong powerful young and talented - not bad for a binner! Given the budget restrictions Worthy has talked about today I am now expecting some little know scandanavian to arrive from small Belgian, dutch, luxembourg club!OTBC

At the end of the day  we should not lose sight of the fact that we have made our worst start ever in the top league - we are in the cack

To get out of the cack we need to find someone to score goals - that costs money, so we need to spend some money. Simple really, isn''t it

[quote]At the end of the day we should not lose sight of the fact that we have made our worst start ever in the top league - we are in the cack To get out of the cack we need to find someone to score...[/quote]

FatMan Fat- You have summed it up perfectly!

I have said it before- I do not think Harewood is the answer- his own fans do not rate him very highly. £5m would be one hell of a gamble for him. We would be better trying to get an older established player- now Sutton would be wonderful. Or someone of that ilk.

Then buy the potential stars next season- right now we need a proven prem star

[quote]Hmmm, Sutton did wonderfully at Chelsea for £10m![/quote]

Be fair bananaman.  He had a pretty rough time at Chelsea.  And he''s been magnificent everywhere else in his career (Us, Blackburn and Celtic)  I''d certainly have him back!

I personally think we will go for a loanee until the end of the season, see if he does the job and where we find ourselves up or down and then see what he costs. 

I just can''t see us lashing out reasonable money at this stage, heaven forbid we go down, he will then buy and strengthen for a push back up....

I know, I know. The man is a football genius.My point was more to show that however much you pay, for whoever is great, it doesn''t always go right. In fact, the price tag can sometimes hang over people''s head which is what I think is happening to Earnshaw right now.Someone like Sutton would be magic, but I believe that Svensson can do a good enough (and cheap!) impersonation of him. He is good with the ball and can pass, although he doesn''t have the vision of Sutton.As I have said from the start of the season, I would like to see Sven given his chance with Leon, and Hucks free behind them, moving from flank to flank.