Sign in to follow this  
pete

Stay up and £5m for rebuilding?

Relegation will cost £7m, if by some sort of miracle we stay up will the Board make available significant funds to ensure this doesn''t happen next season.  No neither do I.  I don''t believe in miracles.  Barnsley likely to get a draw a more unlikely result is a City win after recent no shows Sheff Wed, Blackpool, Reading Ipswich.

[quote user="pete"]

Relegation will cost £7m, if by some sort of miracle we stay up will the Board make available significant funds to ensure this doesn''t happen next season.  No neither do I.  I don''t believe in miracles.  Barnsley likely to get a draw a more unlikely result is a City win after recent no shows Sheff Wed, Blackpool, Reading Ipswich.

[/quote]imo - the board''s first priority for next season - will be to stem the clubs losses - balance the books and return to profitability...i further suggest there will be little effort to build a squad with a credible and realistic chance of a top 6 finish - in whichever league we start...

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="pete"]

[/quote]

imo - the board''s first priority for next season - will be to stem the clubs losses - balance the books and return to profitability...i further suggest there will be little effort to build a squad with a credible and realistic chance of a top 6 finish - in whichever league we start...
[/quote]

You see, I believe that the club could build a good squad and still cut losses.  We have a league one squad on upper championship wages.  Everybodies hero Lappin is one of those earning top whack, so is Fozzy, so is Croft, so is Cureton. Drury has a stupidly long contract, Pattison is on good whack.

I bet McDonald is on a quarter of all of them. Ok so croft is a good player and worthy of a good pay cheque, but he is off anyway by the looks of things. Marshall is on a lot of money as well. I just believe that if we lost Pattison, Fozzy, Cureton, Lappin...... we could bring in better players on half the money. Or at least much better players on the same money.

I know how much money they are on, I cant tell you, and I can pretty much guarentee that Darren Purse, Alan Lee...... bloody good proven champs players...... would not want more money then those four are getting.

As for Marshall, we should have sold him and signed Joe Lewis up on a long contract. Joe Lewis would have tripled his Norwich contract and still been on half of Marshalls money.

Agreed, should we go down it could be an opportunity for some of our youth set up spillane, daley, rudd etc to get near the first team to see if they can fulfill the potential we keep being told they have. They would be on a fraction of the cash of the premier league rejects.

[quote user="ryan85k"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="pete"]

[/quote]

imo - the board''s first priority for next season - will be to stem the clubs losses - balance the books and return to profitability...i further suggest there will be little effort to build a squad with a credible and realistic chance of a top 6 finish - in whichever league we start...
[/quote]

I just believe that if we lost Pattison, Fozzy, Cureton, Lappin...... we could bring in better players on half the money. Or at least much better players on the same money.

[/quote]

I believe this too. Sadly Mr Gunn was no better at being a scout than he is as being a manager. The scouting system at Norwich has taken a massive turn for the worst over recent years. They all need sacking and replacing, much like alot of the squad.

[quote user="pete"]

[/quote]

Like I have said many times, Delia doesn''t want a football club she wants a multi story cafe, she has no interest  in Norwich, the only tables she looks at are those in her Greasy spoon Cafe, She is and has been a total waste of space, as much use as a chocolate teapot, anyone who thinks she has done good for the club, may I suggest you take those tinted glasses off she has been here for almost 13 years, before she took over we were playing football in Europe, we have more chance of playing away to Tamworth in  two seasons   from now, Now yes are you still in the same mind  

they knew at christmas we were in trouble , they must have known then how much it would cost to go down , nothing was done .

if by some miracle we stayed up i should imagine about 30 quid would be made available !!

Look at the average wages posted on another thread.  The average goes from £67k per player to £200k.  For a squad of 25 that is £3.3m of that £7m - so we will never have £5m to strengthen.

Cardboard figures like these are partly where misconceptions about available / wasted funds come from.

The biggest single drain of our finances is the engorged pockets of our flouncing petulant players.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Look at the average wages posted on another thread.  The average goes from £67k per player to £200k.  For a squad of 25 that is £3.3m of that £7m - so we will never have £5m to strengthen.

Cardboard figures like these are partly where misconceptions about available / wasted funds come from.

The biggest single drain of our finances is the engorged pockets of our flouncing petulant players.

[/quote]

Completely agree. The wage bill at this club is an absolute scandal. Why on earth we''re paying fortunes to the useless underperforming flounces masquerading as Championship players at our club is beyond me, and this is where the senior commerical management of the club has been most at fault. We are losing millions a year because we have a completely unsustainable wage bill. Who sanctioned the contract awarded to Mark Fortheringham and Simon Lappin? Neither of those players are worth the fortunes we pay. I really think it''s time to bite the bullet and start putting in place a realistic wage structure, and paying people what we can afford. Yes, it''ll mean we won''t be able to attract some people to play for us. But players who want to play in front of full houses for a good club, who see it as a stepping stone perhaps onto bigger things, rather than a big cash cow end in itself, will still want to come and play for us. Like in the old days when we signed up the likes of Andy Linighan, Andy Townsend etc. They came here, not on big money like we pay the current wasters in our first team squad, but on modest wages in the knowledge that if they performed well with the first team chances they were going to get, they could get a move to a big club where the big money could be earned. We need to return to that style approach. It worked well for us. And is working well for Wigan too in the Premiership, as they know that their star players are only there until a more fashionable club comes in for them.