Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Remember. We were founder members of the Premiership.

Yes, we were founder members of the Premiership and all that that implies.

Some would say we''re receiving our just deserts and simply ''harvesting the whirlwind''.

I don''t think it''s as simple as that, but they do have a point, don''t they?

Of course others would say that we have had our chance(s) and kicked opportunity in the face.

Whichever, whatever, it hurts.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Some would say we''re receiving our just deserts and simply ''harvesting the whirlwind''.

Of course others would say that we have had our chance(s) and kicked opportunity in the face.

OTBC

[/quote]

The reasons are open for debate but it''s worth pointing out that of the original 22 who were founding members eleven others are not members of the Premier League now and only one, Sheffield Utd, look like returning in the immediate future.  No doubt all of those clubs and their fans look back nostalgically but I don''t personally think the Premier League do - I am not sure there is a place any more in their thinking for clubs like Norwich (or Oldham or Southampton). 

I believe the long term ambition will a league of reduced size constituting what we might conveniently call the "mega rich" clubs, closed off to anyone for promotion or relegation.  Only those prepared to travel (and who have the financial backing) to showcase their skills across the world will be welcome - hence the recent "bright ideas" of an extra deciding game or the latest two division nonsense, cue Celtic and Rangers.

I believe the thinking is that they have pretty much taken the League as far as it can go in this country.  Time to get the travelling circus on the road to those really lucrative markets like Asia, China, South America.  If it''s February, it must be Beijing. 

If or when the Premier League goes global, is the day i will be cancelling my Sky subscription. Though i suspect that most games may well be pay per view by then.

Does anyone here watch the Champions League games? They are are as dull as dull can be IMHO!

OTBC

[/quote]

Yes and look at us now

[quote user="Lenny-boy"]yes, founder members of division three south aswell[/quote]

And Division Three if memory serves me correctly.

Therefore.............?

OTBC

[quote user="Lenny-boy"]yes, founder members of division three south aswell[/quote]

Therefore.............?

OTBC

[/quote]

You were champions in Division Three in 1933-34?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Therefore.............?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

As I recall we (NCFC) were champions of Division Three South in1933-34 - not Division Three. 

Div 3 South and Div 3 North were eventually merged in 1958 creating Div 3 and Div 4. We qualified for the new Div 3, thus making us founder members!

OTBC

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

PS: Different England, different Norwich.

Different football?  Who knows?

[/quote]We''ll never know.But this I do know. Norwich City were at a crossroads in the mid 90s under Mike Walker.We''d just finished 3rd in the top flight and most would agree punched above our weight in the forthcoming European campaign. It was obvious to any supporter around this time that English football was going bigtime. We could have been part of that and Chase jumped the wrong way.He chose prudence over ambition with more catastrophic results than Delia and Co ltd ever will - ever can, because football has changed beyond recognition.To compound his errors, he failed to back O''Neill and effectively consigned us to obscurity.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Therefore.............?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kind of ironic that we were promoted to the second level from Division 3 South that year and Barnsley were promoted from Division 3 North. Now we are both engaged in  final game battles to see which team is relegated.  

Incidentally, Cam, one of the teams being relegated that year from Division 2 was Lincoln. Given your continuous and ongoing support I would guess you were there.