Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Russell at it again

If Russell put as much effort into trying to mark players, make tackles, closedown opponents, track back, support the forwards, as he does in providing storylines for the Pink Un he might actually contribute something towards the team staying up.  I watched him closely on Monday and for the majority of the game he marked open space, he didn''t close their players down, he strolled around midfield as though he was out for a Sunday walk.  He writes that we shouldn''t be where we are and cannot understand it, well quite simply Russell it is because we have had too many players like you in the team all season.

I felt sorry for Clingan as he didn''t have a midfield partner.  Gunn should have put young Korey Smith in and he would have put in a better performance. Whatever happens on Sunday Russell must be one of those we ship out at the end of the season, and he can easily be replaced by either Spillane or Smith.

I think your assessment of his performance on Monday is very wide of the mark. In my opinion he put in a lot of hard work for the team and probably covered more ground than anyone else.

You''re obviously not a fan of the guy and that has clouded your judgement.

Nothing against Korey Smith but he would have been lost in a game like that.

Russell at best this season has been mediocre and at worst a liability. His talking should be done on the pitch and the bit where he says he can not understand why it has happened just shows how out of touch he has been this season,take the Swansea game at the Liberty stadium where he was a liability. In that instance Gunn was not man enough to do something about it and thats why we lost against a methodical Swansea team.

Just running around and covering more ground than anyone else in my book doesn''t make you a good player,that''s the basics of being an athlete in your sport. There has to be an end product to what you do and for most of the season Russell and the likes of Croft have been headless and clueless which is staggering when we are talking about 50% of our midfield.Clingan runs as much or more than Russell and scores his fare share of goals too.

Russell has to go away and look at what his game is about as he has spent far too long in the stands serving bans for stupid hot headed decisions on the field.

Before you say I am not an admirer of Russell,it is not that but he is like too many NCFC players this season who are more happy to talk a good game than play one which is what at this present time NCFC is all about.....ALL TALK.

[quote user="GJP"]

I think your assessment of his performance on Monday is very wide of the mark. In my opinion he put in a lot of hard work for the team and probably covered more ground than anyone else.

[/quote]What is the use of covering lots of ground if you don''t actually do something positive.  Far too many times on Monday he just stood there marking nobody and basically ball watching.  When we did attempt to try and push forward in the second half he was almost back on the half way line ambling up the pitch.  I read a report in the paper the following day which said Norwich had plenty of attacks in the first half but they never had any real support from the midfield.  Call my judgement clouded, but isn''t that where Russell the attacking midfielder is supposed to come into play.  I am not a fan of any player who strolls around the park giving the impression they are doing lots, when in effect they are doing nothing.  What young Smith might lack in experience he will more than make up in effort and commitment.  You only had to look at young Cody on Monday to see what you can get from someone who is prepared to play his heart out for the team. 

Totally agree Silver Fox. Whilst I admit Rusty has been messed about a bit this season he has been woeful.

We have too many players who can''t tackle unless they go to ground and he is the worst offender. He is a likeable character but he is one more of the squad who are not Championship class and we must face it.

[quote user="silver fox"]

If Russell put as much effort into trying to mark players, make tackles, closedown opponents, track back, support the forwards, as he does in providing storylines for the Pink Un he might actually contribute something towards the team staying up.  I watched him closely on Monday and for the majority of the game he marked open space, he didn''t close their players down, he strolled around midfield as though he was out for a Sunday walk.  He writes that we shouldn''t be where we are and cannot understand it, well quite simply Russell it is because we have had too many players like you in the team all season.

I felt sorry for Clingan as he didn''t have a midfield partner.  Gunn should have put young Korey Smith in and he would have put in a better performance. Whatever happens on Sunday Russell must be one of those we ship out at the end of the season, and he can easily be replaced by either Spillane or Smith.

[/quote]

The scary thing is that the article indicates yet again that the players still think they will get out of it. I am convinced that at no point so far have they truly believed they were going to be relegated, and they still don''t. When bookies have you as 1/12 to go down it''s time you started thinking it was more than a possibility, but just like at Fulham 4 years ago, the team will turn up thinking all will be well. I have little hope.....

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="silver fox"]

[/quote]

The scary thing is that the article indicates yet again that the players still think they will get out of it. I am convinced that at no point so far have they truly believed they were going to be relegated, and they still don''t. When bookies have you as 1/12 to go down it''s time you started thinking it was more than a possibility, but just like at Fulham 4 years ago, the team will turn up thinking all will be well. I have little hope.....

little hope being the main point!

[/quote]

[quote user="sgncfc"]

[/quote]

Did you see Doherty''s comments after we won three out of four in March? "That''s promotion form", he beamed. No Gary: promotion form is when you do it over 46 games, not four! I almost chucked my computer through the window when I read it.

Ah, Darel Russell. I''ll always remember reading a post on the old official messageboard when he first broke into the team many years ago: the poster insisted he''d play for England one day! No question, he had potential - but I''ve never understood what people see in him, and am not sure it''s a total coincidence that he''s generally played for awful City teams, and left before we had that resurgence earlier in the decade under Worthington.

Remember the League Cup game at Man City last season? At one point, Rusty carelessly gave the ball away - then instead of getting back to help his defence, just stood there hands on hips, yelling at his teammates. That summed him up for me. He''s probably one of our better players - but has always talked a much better game than he plays, unfortunately.

[quote user="thebigfeller"][quote user="sgncfc"]

[/quote]

Did you see Doherty''s comments after we won three out of four in March? "That''s promotion form", he beamed. No Gary: promotion form is when you do it over 46 games, not four! I almost chucked my computer through the window when I read it.

[/quote]

be strong in the face of adversity, but thats taking the piss! lol

If I was a journo, i''d be concerned about interviewing Russell - one awkward question and he could nut you!

[quote user="silver fox"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]What is the use of covering lots of ground if you don''t actually do something positive.  Far too many times on Monday he just stood there marking nobody and basically ball watching.  When we did attempt to try and push forward in the second half he was almost back on the half way line ambling up the pitch.  I read a report in the paper the following day which said Norwich had plenty of attacks in the first half but they never had any real support from the midfield.  Call my judgement clouded, but isn''t that where Russell the attacking midfielder is supposed to come into play.  I am not a fan of any player who strolls around the park giving the impression they are doing lots, when in effect they are doing nothing.  What young Smith might lack in experience he will more than make up in effort and commitment.  You only had to look at young Cody on Monday to see what you can get from someone who is prepared to play his heart out for the team. [/quote]

Darel Russell isn''t an attacking midfielder so it''s not really right to judge him as one. Or is it because Clingan is seen as the defensive midfielder that Russell is by default seen as the attacker? He''s a just a general central midfielder, does a bit of everything. He''s an average Jack of all trades type of central midfielder.

I think it''s very harsh (and just inaccurate) to suggest he just "strolls around the park". He''s no Cesc Fabregas when he''s got the ball but he''s far from being the lazy player you''re trying to paint him to be.

I saw what Cody did on Monday and in my view Darel Russell gave as much if not more. But Cody is young and new so he''s always going to be looked on more favourably. The same as any other youngster whether they''re any good or not (and that''s not me suggesting Cody isn''t any good).

But that''s the problem with a lot of City fans, they see what they want in a performance. I think it''s what they call "Horns and Halo'' isn''t it?  Some people wear a halo and so people will only see the good things they do, others wear horns and people can only see the bad things they do.

Just one of them things though... if Darel Russell gets booked then the people around me start whinging about him getting booked again. But if he''s sensible enough to stand off the next tackle then people will whinge at him for not diving into it.

I try to see both sides to a players performance because everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Apart from Chris Killen, that is.

I always try to see both sides.

[/quote]Or Pattison, he gives 100% and doesn''t get sent off.

The trouble with Rusty is he just gets sent off too many times ! Is he just wreckless or just incapable of tackling ? You can''t have a player who misses so many games through suspension, he just becomes a liability !

Russell , talks as much garbage as he produces on the pitch , bringing god awful players like him and Cureton back to the club was the begining of the end .

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="silver fox"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]What is the use of covering lots of ground if you don''t actually do something positive.  Far too many times on Monday he just stood there marking nobody and basically ball watching.  When we did attempt to try and push forward in the second half he was almost back on the half way line ambling up the pitch.  I read a report in the paper the following day which said Norwich had plenty of attacks in the first half but they never had any real support from the midfield.  Call my judgement clouded, but isn''t that where Russell the attacking midfielder is supposed to come into play.  I am not a fan of any player who strolls around the park giving the impression they are doing lots, when in effect they are doing nothing.  What young Smith might lack in experience he will more than make up in effort and commitment.  You only had to look at young Cody on Monday to see what you can get from someone who is prepared to play his heart out for the team. [/quote]

Darel Russell isn''t an attacking midfielder so it''s not really right to judge him as one. Or is it because Clingan is seen as the defensive midfielder that Russell is by default seen as the attacker? He''s a just a general central midfielder, does a bit of everything. He''s an average Jack of all trades type of central midfielder.

I think it''s very harsh (and just inaccurate) to suggest he just "strolls around the park". He''s no Cesc Fabregas when he''s got the ball but he''s far from being the lazy player you''re trying to paint him to be.

I saw what Cody did on Monday and in my view Darel Russell gave as much if not more. But Cody is young and new so he''s always going to be looked on more favourably. The same as any other youngster whether they''re any good or not (and that''s not me suggesting Cody isn''t any good).

But that''s the problem with a lot of City fans, they see what they want in a performance. I think it''s what they call "Horns and Halo'' isn''t it?  Some people wear a halo and so people will only see the good things they do, others wear horns and people can only see the bad things they do.

Just one of them things though... if Darel Russell gets booked then the people around me start whinging about him getting booked again. But if he''s sensible enough to stand off the next tackle then people will whinge at him for not diving into it.

I try to see both sides to a players performance because everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Apart from Chris Killen, that is.

I always try to see both sides.

[/quote]  Let us agree to differ, but I will be watching very closely tomorrow against Charlton to see how many times Russell actually fails to mark anyone, or pick up the runners, or gets in the Charlton box.  I think you must have watched a different game to me on Monday if you thought Russell gave more than Cody. 

Nothing against Cody, he did what he could. He had a couple of runs at their defence but mostly Duberry and Bikey took it in turns to try wearing his shirt. He kept moving but you can still tell he doesn''t quite know what he''s doing yet.

I remember when Carl Cort first started playing for us. Although it was obvious he''s got no pace you could also see that he knew the runs to make and the spaces to get into (as best he could with his slight lack of mobility). The same isn''t really true of Cody at the moment, he''s relying on raw pace more than anything else.

Darel Russell has struggled at times this season but I couldn''t really fault his effort on Monday night. He covered lots of ground and battled all over the pitch.

I suspect if Korey Smith had played the game Darel Russell had played against Reading then you''d be raving about him.

McDonald needs to work on couple of areas of his game, apart from a neat turn I don''t think he controlled the ball well and he put too much power on his passes. A bit of fine tuning and we''ll see a good player.

On the subject of the Reading game the whole midfield was a mess, Rusty along with Clingan caved into pressure too easily and didn''t support the attacks enough, let''s not bother mentioning Carney and Gow''s contributions. One thing which has been evident this season is we seem to get out muscled too easily in midfield.

I watched him closely on Monday and for the majority of the game he marked open space,

[/quote]Some tactics require exactly that - its called Zonal I didn''t see the game and you may be right, but not many people understand why some players do XYZ or that they are instructed to do so