Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jim

Jonson up front

I reckon Worthy should try Jonson up front- isn''t that where he plays with Sweden and scores?!We are obviously lacking goals at the moment, and January is a long time to wait for an out and out striker.I''d play Hux left wing, Bentley on the right and Leon/Matty with Jonson up front.OTBC!

That what I believe is better having him up front. When with Brondby he scored I 38 goals in 37 games which is just over a goal  a game and believe he would be better up front and that''s where he played for Sweden during Euro 2004 and especially during that Denmark game where he scored. Funnily enough it was Thomas Helveg who was marking him although it didn''t work of course when he scored the goal. I agree as well have Hucks on the left cos down the wing he will do better and Bentley wouldn''t be too bad on the right. Jonson with Mckenzie I said before should be tried and worth a go and if it failed at least we''ve had a go. Or Have an all Swedish front line with Svensson alongside Jonson cos hopefully but only hopefully MS may be getting back in the swing. They''ll certainly would understand each other!

Definitely worth a go - Jonson and Svensson could work well and why not give Safri a go in the middle with Francis?OTBC

Having seen Matty and Leon play pretty damn well together on Saturday and with Hux playing awesome on the left, I think it would be a better idea to let them have a decent run at it with Jonson on the right.

Mind you Leon is supposed to be out tonight, so Jonson and Matty up front with Helveg and Hux on the wings would be nice to see, or hear as it may be.

i agree, i would like for Jonson to at least be tried up front. He is effective there when he plays in that position for Sweden. Worthy is talking about buying a new forward in the transfer window, i say try what you have got first!!

I suggested this pre-Pompey and got a bit of support. He was due to play through the middle with Larsson in the last Swedish game as well. If Leon is injured tonight, let''s give it a go. My only concern would be that Bentley is preferred on the right, Hucks on the left and we therefore have effectively a 2 man midfield!

I''d like to see Helveg given the centre-half place tonight rather than Doherty. OK Helveg had a shocker on Saturday but he''s playing centre-half for Denmark with good performances so let''s try things out a bit.

I''d suggested playing Jonson up front in another thread myself and would encourage Worthington to look at games like tonights as a way to try out these alternatives.

That said, I don''t think Worthy will. Numerous posters complained after the Bristol Rovers that he missed an opportunity to try a few things out with the team against lower opposition.

Given that he has publically come out (PInk''UN) and said that the cup is important would indicate he''s not going to tinker with the side too much from what he had on Saturday. Based on that I think you''ll see Worthy simply make like for like replacements for those players injured (McKenzie and Charlton). So we''ll have one from Shackell/Doherty/Helveg as replacement for Charlton, then one from Svensson/McVeigh/Bentley as replacement for McKenzie. The rest will be the same.

A bit of a shame really as it would be an ideal opportunity to try something new if the club doesn''t care about going beyond this round of the Carling Cup.

I may be wrong but I think that Jonson wasn''t quite that prolific for Brondy... but for Sweden he plays both a winger and as a striker, though it''s more been as an emergency striker if I recall correctly.

Having said that I think that our best strikeforce would be Bentley and McKenzie, with Jonson and Hucks on the wings. Hucks will always pull out to the left and cut in, while we might get the best out of Bentley in the "hole".  He might make up for the lack of creativity coming from our willing, but limited passing wise midfield duo.

And Shackell must get a chance a centre back now! 

Thoughts?

I''ve been saying this for ages. It''s odd though, I wonder why he hasn''t been tried up front, being a natural striker? Surely Worthy would have tried him there if there wasn''t a really good reason not to.