Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Canariesworld commentary FREE???

I heard on Saturday that Radio Norfolk will soon be broadcast over the Internet. Does this mean we won''t have to pay the £19.99 to CanariesWorld to listern the matches Live?

Anyone know anything about this?

Well I havent heard it, but potentially, yes. BBC usually stream in Real Player (boo) but if theyre planning a constant stream then yes it would include Saturdays!

The commentary is the only reason I get Canaries World to be honest.

Im suprised they dont do regional stuff on DAB nationwaide, if that makes sense, or stream it through quicktime / iTunes which can accept radio (for example Virgin FM) as well as through the web.

Heres hoping then, where did you here about it?

Kent Canary...just before the commentary started on last Saturday''s game, there was an advert which stated that Radio Norfolk would be coming soon Live over the Internet.

I, like you, only subscribe to CanariesWorld for the match commentary. But if it is going to be offered for Free then why should we pay the annual £19.99?

Been talking to a mate who''s heavily into digital radio and he gave me this answer.

They work in Multiplexes, which are basically regional liscenses for transmitters

If you go to    http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/search/default.asp  and stick your postcode in, you will find out what you can get.

There is talk of all local stations being available on dab anywhere in the future, but not at the moment. The BBC are going through the motions of trying to get all bbc networks online, live streams first I think So the prospect of it happening on dab could be anything from at least a year away

People living around Norfolk, might get radio Norfolk on their dab, depends on the power of the transmitter I guess (only a guess, just maybe people in Northampton might get a tiny signal by chance) All relative really, if you stick an outdoor aerial on your house, you might pick up shed loads. The dab signals are very similar to the way mobile phone signals operate

I couldn''t get on the CW site Saturday afternoon or last night whilst footie was on. Other times OK.

Like other subscribers, the commentaries are the only thing I use it for, so it''s been a complete waste of money last few days.

This sounded like good news for me too but, after reading the following from Radio Norfolk information, it does not look like football will be available over the internet. have I understood this correctly?

"Why can''t I listen to some Five Live sporting events online?
We only have the rights to broadcast certain sporting events in the UK - not worldwide. These include Premiership football matches and Formula One Grand Prix. So you can listen on 909 & 693AM and on digital radio and digital TV - but not over the internet because this can be accessed across the globe"

[quote]Well I just checked the BBC site and they are streaming local radio thorugh RealPlayer, Im listening to it right now! So, it must follow that football commentary is now available for free.. is this t...[/quote]

FANTASTIC!! Thank you for pointing that out Kent.  I know what I''ll be doing Wednesday night

Sorry to pee on your bonfire guys but the Live streaming of Radio Norfolk Will not extend to City Commentaries.

It''s a rights issue, so a friend tells me. NTL Own the rights to broadcast the club''s games on t''internet, Radio Norfolk only have broadcasting rights over the Region.

[quote]Sorry to pee on your bonfire guys but the Live streaming of Radio Norfolk Will not extend to City Commentaries. It''s a rights issue, so a friend tells me. NTL Own the rights to broadcast the club''s g...[/quote]

Lame

Well that''s not completely true YC. The BBC do seem to broadcast some of the Radio Five commentary via the internet but it''s not clear to me how much and how often. The Arsenal v Man U game was being broadcast via the internet at the weekend, but when the radio commentary then turned over to broadcasting the Interlagos Grand Prix coverage was stopped.

I''ve looked at the Radio Norfolk pages after someone originally started this thread and could find nothing on there about broadcasting live commentary on the Norwich matches. I think what they broadcast is a selective choice. I noticed you could get the Radio Norfolk Drive programme over the internet.

I have to say that it will be difficult to see how Canaries World will survive if Radio Norfolk does stream the live commentary. They need to offer more than they have now.

Like a few of you guys, I only used to have CW for the match day commentaries since I live in Berkshire.

However, it packed in on the Ipswich away game last season (talk about awful luck) and despite numerous calls and mails, didn''t come back for 2 months so I cancelled.

Now maybe it''s because I use a mac - not that it should be - but I was fedup with paying each month for a service I couldn''t use...

Call me old fashioned but...

It''s blatent they won''t broadcast premier games over the internet.... but what about Carling Cup games....?

Question:

Canaries World have a free one month trial which you can cancel at any point in that month and won''t be charged.  Could I not therefore sign up, after 29 days cancel it, delete all my cookies, temp internet files etc and sign up for another free month?

[quote]Question: Canaries World have a free one month trial which you can cancel at any point in that month and won''t be charged. Could I not therefore sign up, after 29 days cancel it, delete all my cooki...[/quote]

Sorry DD but I haven''t been able to get anything at all last two weeks on CW whilst football matches on, like 3 o''clock saturdays and 7.30 weekday evenings.

Sent them an email to complain and they said they were revamping the site to make it better !

I would have thought time to do that was in the summer ! Paying for nothing at the moment.

Will try again tonight, let you know how it is.

[quote]Sorry DD but I haven''t been able to get anything at all last two weeks on CW whilst football matches on, like 3 o''clock saturdays and 7.30 weekday evenings. Sent them an email to complain and they sa...[/quote]

Sounds familiar mate.I gave up waiting in the end but it cost me a lot of cash...

Well I was just listening to Radio Norfolk online and it cut out with a notice informing me of a broadcasting rights restriction. Fortunately I have Match Live, so I''m ok for listening to the match.

Can''t get it free on R norfolk, but if you''ve got NTL as your service provider Canaries World were doing a deal that you got a years free subscription just for having NTL.

Don''t know if they''re still doing it but its worth giving em a buzz, and if you can prove you''ve had NTL since the deal was on (a couple of months ago I saw it) they may be nice?!?  Worth a pop.