Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

The problem with Darren Huckerby

Much as I admire his skill and ability I am getting more and more nervous about the price. Fine, if he is signed for £x million and we don''t get promoted we sell for about the same figure. All we lose are the wages which could probably be made up elsewhere by letting one of or couple of remaining donkeys go (no names, don''t want to demotivate those concerned).

But when I read stories of swaps involving Green or Drury I now get cold feet. The thing is Darren Huckerby has done what he has done here before. Many times before. Ask yourselves why he has not settled at any one club for any extended period? Why, with is pace and skill, is he not right up there in the national squad? Why, having done so well at Forest last year, is he still not in KK''s plans? Its Man City for goodness sake, not Arsenal or Man Utd.

There must be a reason to all this. I think our DH is a man who comes in, does the stuff, talks the talk, signs the contract but then is proved to have no lasting pace. Remember Stan Collymore? See some of his goals on TV and you think, christ what an amazing talent. Even our own Keith O''Neill. All show but no lasting power. Certain players just always seem to do the rounds and leave their potential unfulfilled.

You see, what I am concerned about is that while DH woos us left, right and centre we are in danger of swapping a genuinely committed long term quality player such as Greeno or Drury for someone who has become a bit of a wandering minstrel.

Don''t get me wrong. I think he has been the best thing to happen to this club for a while and he has generated a fantastic buzz. But lets just step back a while and ponder whether in reality he is better as a loan and then disppears into the sunset whereupon we will all have fond memories. It maybe that if we do sign someone in December, Crouch or Harper are actually the better long term bets.

I think you''ve hit the nail on the head there, I too have reservations about huckerby''s ability to last the pace! Maybe worthy would rather just see the best of him and let him go, I''m absoloutely sure that worthy is already looking at a replacement for when hucks goes, look at the quality of the players he has brought to the club so far. It doesn''t take a genius to spot the fact that worthy is ambitious and wants to get on, possibly without us, I''m sure the board recognise that this must be our season and if we miss our chance then a lot of our talent, manager included, may be tempted to jump ship! I think the board has performed admirably over the last few seasons, remember when as soon as we got a decent player then he was off?? I think that hucks will leave when the loan is up and we shall sign a quality striker in the january sales, we should sign harper and extend crouch''s loan for the rest of the season as I''m not sure villa will sell him just yet, not for the price we would be willing to pay anyway!

God point, but to add even more caution I think it''s dangerous to assume we''d get our money back on Huckerby if we failed to go up.
Clubs will realise he''s on big bucks & that we''d be desperate to offload him & so would tempt us with low bids.
Look at the Binmen, just £750k for Holland? A little more for Hereidasson was it they got? Clubs knew they were in financial trouble and took advantage.
12 months earlier they could have easily got £3m for Holland and similar for Hereidasson.

I really don''t understand this. You MUST have noticed the absolutely MASSIVE difference in the team since we have got the 3 on-load players. Finally the whole team is motivated, the fans are having a great time, we''re getting recognition in the media and from other fans . Norwich is finally being viewed by other teams as an extremely difficult game.

The simple fact is that if we lose our loan players we will return to the level we were at last season / start of this season. Most games were unpredictable and we slipped up alot. FINALLY we have goal scorers. Huckerby obviously acts as a talismann for the whole team and we must do everything we can do keep him.

The game today against Walsall was amazing. Never have I seen the team play so well. Never have I seen us string together so many decent moves. The team we put out today (bar the lucky goal) absolutely TORE the opposition to pieces. Opposition who let us not forget have won the last 3 home games and have beaten to the two teams above us. And in my opinion Huckerby was the catalyst...

I agree with your points Tilt but mine is quite straightforward- we have to trust NW that if he is going to take a financial risk on Huckerby, he needs to be absolutely sure that its going to be a long term thing- my concern is that he revitalises the team as you point out but that it all disappears into unmotivated mediocrity if he signs permanently. If he does sign and indeed carries on like this then it would just be sooooo good. That second tier might have to be commissioned quickly to cash in on the buzz!!

lets not forget, Derby at home...

we come back from 1-0 down to win 2-1 with 10 men, and not a single loan player, on the pitch... that to me suggests alot about the current squad, the gutsyness and determination...

i said on another message board if we dotn sign them permanently it wont be a disaster... what we needed last season was a kick up the backside and to be more attacking, and thats precisely what we have got...

the most affordable loan signing would be Harper, i dont think Hucks or Crouch will be signed permanently, as transfer fee and wages could bleed the club dry :(

jas :)

I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU ANY MORE, YOU ARE SPOT ON WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY. JUST WOULD LIKE TO SAY FANS WERE SUPERB AT WALSALL, SOMETIMES THINKS IT MAKES THE DIFFRENCE TO THE PLAYERS SEEING ALL THE ARMY THERE IN SUPPORT. JUST LIKE TO SAY THAT IT WAS A GREAT DAY EVEN THOUGH I WAS BOILING IN MY "PICACHOI" OUTFIT.... kEEP THE AWAY SUPPORT GOING BOYS......