Sign in to follow this  
Robert Ketts Yellow Army

Chairman Munby admits: "I'm not technically skilled in football matters"

Its the coaching staff that need excellence in football matters - not the board.

The board give the money / set the budget. A "footballing" board that actively ratfies the managers choices of signings would be a disaster.  Hearts anyone???

The players were earning more than relegation money,  and whether they are owned or loaned, have grossly under performed as a squad and have given us fans a relegation we dont deserve - but their efforts warrant. 

It''s ironic that he thinks you need to be "technically skilled in football matters" to be qualified to manage the team, considering recent managerial appointments...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Its the coaching staff that need excellence in football matters - not the board.

The board give the money / set the budget. A "footballing" board that actively ratfies the managers choices of signings would be a disaster.  Hearts anyone???

The players were earning more than relegation money,  and whether they are owned or loaned, have grossly under performed as a squad and have given us fans a relegation we dont deserve - but their efforts warrant. 

[/quote]

And who should bear ultimate responsibility for the myriad failures at the club - the grounds staff?

[/quote]

whilst i wouldn''t want a meddling chairman who tries to do the lot, just like Hearts, what i feel thhe club does need is 1 football person on the board.

Not a director of football, thats a job you give to someone who''s become part of the furniture as you cant bear to sack them (Gunn anyone?) but a football person on the board. an Ex player, possibly someone who would have a business interest in the club but who has also played professionally.

the reason being they can advise the board on football matters, they can say "stop.. wait... this monety would be better invested in the squad" the board would listen as they have business experience, the board would take their advice on board.. when the manager came forward with a player he wanted to sign there wouldd be somone up high who would see the benefit and could force the issue for the manager a little bit.

We''d be better off with a "football advisor" on the board, advising them what to do in matters relating to the game whilst they run the business side.

jas :)

[/quote]

But the board need to have the aptitude or willingness to appoint the right people with "excellence in football matters"....They got lucky with Worthy for a while...but as time has proved, it was a lucky break. They have turned this great footballing club into a publicity machine for bloody Delia and her fannying around in second rate cookbooks. I live well out of the county now and when I tell people who I support, the first thing they irritatingly mention is Delia...I BL*#DY HATE IT!

Why doesn''t this board just go now, before the good people that ARE this club, string those muppets up somewhere just over the county border

Yes, Jas, completely agree, though the thing that sticks with me, is would Delia listen, we can all argue on here forever, but she holds the power, and until she is convinced her way is wrong then nothing is going to change. Someone with football knowledge is lacking on the board, and to be blunt, always has been.

That is why, we as supporters must now put real pressure on, in whatever way possible to change the thinking. Having said that the various members of the board speaking yesterday did not seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet, which was interesting to say the least.

the proof of the pudding shows its numpties leading the numpties i saw all this happening before christmas the only solution was cowboy, my heart goes out to all true city fans, but those living in suffolk vete a la mierda u know who you are . like the wind things come n go remember iceni pride keeps fighting and the false faced bosses will fade away on the ball city the clubs bigger than the board

What I cant understand is what Doncaster brings to the table...cant be anything to do with football and yet he sits on an influential FA committee. Does he ''blind'' Munby, Smith and Jones that they collectively have some credentials as a football club board?

The board need three skills for me,  

1. to get finances into the club to enable the manager to compete
  2. to appoint the right manager,  and dismiss them when its not going right. 
  3. to get lucky.

My view in these are

1. I would like to have seen more money on players rather than investments.  Whether their choices were the right or wrong ones I am not in a position to say but I can see both sides of the argument. However on the crucial question to whether the playing budget was big enough for us to avoid relegation this season I have no doubt that it was,  but we were let down by the coaching and playing staff week in week out. Not the norm view I know but I fervently beleive that our relegation is down to the gutless squad.
  2. Of the last 4 managers appointed they have ONLY got it right with worthy.   For me appointing a manager for a club our size should match what we are trying to achieve.  In worthy we had a hungry young manager with lower league experience who was ready for a step up - so he was appointed for the right reasons at the time. He lucked out with his loan signings (point 3) and we were promoted.  The board delayed his dismissal too long (solid performer he was but teh signs of rot were far to evident).   However the appointment of Grant mirrored that of Gunn.  Both were respected people but neither had experience of managing any club,  of owning the motivational, tactical and budget issues that the manager faces day in day out.  They were both naive and complete stabs in the dark.  With grant they did obtain a "footballers" expert view by drafting in Stringer.  Whether his judgement was flawed to we wont know for a long while if ever,  but both were the wrong men.   Ditto Roeder,  who was a far bigger managerial name but had NO experience of managing within a budget or working in the championship or a  lower league.  That experience is crucial.  He was the wrong man because he only had premier league big club experience.  Thats not what we are.    The board have failed biggest on this part - appointment of managers.   They face that choice again now and I find it impossible to accept that they can appoint Gunn. A young lower league manager is essential  Time will tell.
  3. Get lucky?   Well they have not had a lot of that - ITV money, investments not coming off as planned, manager appointments not working, time and again.Worthy losing Neilson and Abbey forced the loan hands and we lucked out on Svennson, Crouch and Hux.  None other than that.  

The board have made mistakes.  The managers they have appointed have made more in the way they have chosen to spend the cash, and the players more still.

I try to look forward rather than live in the past.  We are facing a season in League One,  the most ludicrous sentence I have had to type, ever.

The boards duty right now is to

1. appoint a permanent manager who can get us promoted
  2. provide sufficient budget to allow that manager to sign a squad that can deliver that promotion.   That means physical and experience - so the budget has to be larger than league one average.  We will not get promoted with a side with an average age of between 20 and 24... or containing the core of our current squad.

Board - get decisive,  sack Gunn and appoint a new manager before the end of may. 

That manager should come from the lower leagues.  Not boothroyd or a glamour name,  some hungry young manager with a point to prove.  One who can and wants to manage a prem club, if he moves on good - it means he has done well for the club too.  Robins is my prime candidate,  There are many more.   We will be a club most managers would like to join,  somewhere they can have an impact and a bigger challenge for most - they wont view us as a laughing stock.

OTBC

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]What I cant understand is what Doncaster brings to the table...cant be anything to do with football and yet he sits on an influential FA committee. Does he ''blind'' Munby, Smith and Jones that they collectively have some credentials as a football club board?[/quote]

I assume his job is to make sure that all functions of the club run within budget, and to maximise the size of that budget? I supose he starts the year with a plan and structure to enable the club to survive financially.   If most parts of the club are profitable and the football manager has a budget to compete has he done his job?