Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Higher cost of policing in League 1

From today''s EDP: 

Supt Nick Dean said "For League 1 teams visiting Carrow Road a game against Norwich will be one of their biggest matches of the season.  The fans of many of these teams won''t be used to the level of policing which we provide in the higher leagues and that could breed trouble.  Because of this increased pressure we are expecting to have to step up our presence at home matches in order to prevent disorder before it happens."

Let''s hope Doomy & Co have factored the extra cost of policing into the equation . . .

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]No Mystic, let''s hope Doncaster is not making the decisions re policing or anything else come next season.[/quote]

lol [:D]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]No Mystic, let''s hope Doncaster is not making the decisions re policing or anything else come next season.[/quote]

Spot on.[;)]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]No Mystic, let''s hope Doncaster is not making the decisions re policing or anything else come next season.[/quote]Agree 100%. He shouldn''t even be part of any decisons made on Wednesday, just the subject of one.

If i read what he said correctly, he is saying that they need to step up policing because the greater police presence could provoke some people?  Not make sense to anyone else?

I find the worrying about the policing next season just typical of Doncaster, what about his boys in Eventguard? Once they have been taken off their current duties re removing floral tributes on the club gates, surely they can be employed to come up with a plan? Can''t they?

Nick Dean has been set a target by the Chief Constable to make money, he is just talking things up, the bloke is an idiot.

[quote user="canary cherub "]

From today''s EDP: 

Supt Nick Dean said "For League 1 teams visiting Carrow Road a game against Norwich will be one of their biggest matches of the season.  The fans of many of these teams won''t be used to the level of policing which we provide in the higher leagues and that could breed trouble.  Because of this increased pressure we are expecting to have to step up our presence at home matches in order to prevent disorder before it happens."

Let''s hope Doomy & Co have factored the extra cost of policing into the equation . . .

[/quote]

Since my days as football liason officer it looks like the senior officers apart from the odd few have no idea about policing football matches apart from reading up on the subject in manuals.

Are the 300 from Exeter or the 400 from Hartlepool and so on really that demanding of a higher Police presence.

Millwall or Leeds and one of them will be coming,now that may well be a different matter.

I wonder what he will make of Histon in the Johnstones Paint TrophyYes folks it could happen as Conference clubs take part.

"The fans of many of these teams won''t be used to the level of policing which we provide in the higher leagues. Because of this increased pressure we are expecting to have to step up our presence at home matches in order to prevent disorder before it happens"

So unless I''ve mis-understood, they think that visiting supporters won''t be used to the volume of Police officers in attendance so they will solve this by having more!!! Righto!!! Muppets... Maybe less would be an idea????

Just seen Second Wizard''s post, which reads similar to mine.

No, it doesn''t make sense, surely less would be the answer, or maybe have the same but less visible.

I read this and couldn''t believe it! So we''ll need more police for Wycombe, Brentford and Yeovil than we will for Newcastle, West Brom and Forest? I know we might have Leeds and Millwall, but we''ve had Sheffield Utd kicking off all the time recently, and Wolves and Brum to contend with. And what about the reduced cost of not paying overtime to everyone for the Derby match?It''s not as if we have a reputation for trouble, so why would smaller teams want to come and kick-off?

many grounds dont use policing for matches instead of relying on professionally trained stewards to keep order, which they do very well....

but then theres Norwich city, who throw money at it in the hope it will go away....

jas :)

A lot of misunderstanding here about policing and trouble at lower league grounds. The point about not being used to levels of policing relates to the much lower numbers of police used in Premiership and Championship grounds due to employing professional security instead of police in the grounds.

In League 1 they rely on Police so the away fans will not be used to being controlled by and will probably kick off against the men in jackets. Some league 1 teams have fans a bit like the 70''s which generally have dissappeared from Prem and Championship teams. They will travel in force to Norwich as they will want to make a show against a so called big side.

It will not be just the players who will be up for proving themselves against a big side and the Police are well aware of this.

Harlepool as mentioned above have a pretty handy and unpleasant group of supporters.

[quote user="simon kingston"]Nick Dean has been set a target by the Chief Constable to make money, he is just talking things up, the bloke is an idiot.[/quote]

Oh, whatever are you trying to suggest?.

We can''t have budget cuts for the police now can we !!!  The public services need a wake-up call. 

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="canary cherub "]

From today''s EDP: 

[/quote]

Since my days as football liason officer it looks like the senior officers apart from the odd few have no idea about policing football matches apart from reading up on the subject in manuals.

Are the 300 from Exeter or the 400 from Hartlepool and so on really that demanding of a higher Police presence.

Millwall or Leeds and one of them will be coming,now that may well be a different matter.

I wonder what he will make of Histon in the Johnstones Paint TrophyYes folks it could happen as Conference clubs take part.

[/quote]

Exeter also have some rather dubious fans as well,and some away games won''t be a picnic either.With increased police and CCTV at Premier and Championship level many undesirables attach themselves to the lower two division clubs