Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Belated musings on yesterday

Norwich City - the club that never fails to f**k you off more than you thought possible!

I went to the game yesterday expecting to be relegated and largely resigned to our fate. I was prepared for it. What I was not prepared for though was that gutless capitulation. A total and utter disgrace from start to finish. In many ways though i''m glad we were so bad because I got the sense that for many in the crowd yesterday that display was the tipping point. Had we valiently missed out due to a late Barnsley goal or something many would have clapped the players, board and Gunn for their valient efforts. As it was they, for once, were on the receiving end of some real venom. There can be very, very few left now who would support Gunn being given the job next season or who do not believe that change is needed from top to bottom at our club.

The players were a disgrace. The only I would give some credit to yesterday were Lee and Corey Smith who I thought did nothing wrong - but what the hell was that team selection about in the first place! What kind of idiot thinks "I know crucial game that could define our season and my managerial career - I''ll play Shackell at left back and give an 18 year old his debut on the right wing!

We must rebuild and fill our team with young, keen players who want to play for Norwich City. Its not all doom and gloom. There will be some good trips to new places next season and if we get it right this summer we could do well which will obviously be more enjoyable than the last few years. Whether we get it right this summer though is the big point. The statements I heard from board members and Gunn yesterday were deeply worrying and show little evidence that they have learnt anything. i desperately want Delia to step aside a new investment found but at the very least we have to get the message across that we want serious change, In my view spending the £190K we spend on a certain individuals salary on a proper manager would at least be a good start!

As we said in the oub last night Norwich are a proper football club and we will rise again. I''m not going to let these idiots stop me from watching or supporting my team. In the meantime though i will take every opportunity to make them aware that we will not tolerate being treated like idiots any more!

Good post Jim. That horrible resigned feeling had been with me for some time too, and yesterday''s result left me feeling strangely numb. And like you say, when I heard Korey Smith was being given a full debut in such a massively crucial game...granted, he played well, but just wtf were the management team thinking?? Words fail me.

Our failure this season has left me exhausted and pretty much sick of football. I never, ever thought I would say that and truly mean it - but the way this club is being throttled to death from the inside out right now makes me want to weep.

One of Roeders failings was that he would not play the youth from the club and I get the feeling that the board have looked at all the things Roeder did wrong and make sure Gunn is the total opposite. Unfortunatley Gunn has proven that he is not tactically aware and he is there just to say the board tried to put things right.

I don''t mind the fact we have been relegated but the fact I don''t feel we have given it any fight and that we are still not learning from our mistakes is the worrying thing that doesn''t sit well. How the board can not hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong amazes me and they continue to say they will use their blue print to carry on.

To listen to MWJ yesterday say they had tried experienced managers and that had failed baffled me because who were they referring to?Our last 3 managers have been a marketing manager,an out of work manager and an asst manager all of which points to very little experience from where I am sat.

As I''ve said before on here the best bits about watching Norwich City are the bits when you''re not watching Norwich City ( if that makes sense )

The day out yesterday wasn''t all bad. I thought the Charlton fans, stewards and police were friendly towards us and I didn''t see any sign of trouble from us City fans which is amazing considering the way most of our players performed.They just couldn''t be a*sed as they went through the motions. This was the first time we''ve conceded four goals in a game this season and the first hat-trick we''ve had scored against us for some time. Makes you wonder how Charlton managed to finish below us. They probably won''t next term.

Didn''t see too many people in fancy dress - the odd Scooby Doo excepted - which given the occasion made sense perhaps but maybe my full black tie outfit went too far the other way.

Good atmosphere in The Antigallican pub opp the station after the game but it sounded even better before kick-off as the place was heaving but we couldn''t get in. Ended up in a good pub near London Bridge with some of the usual suspects, drank myself almost to oblivion and can remember very little of getting home.

There are still some good bits in being a Norwich supporter.....