Sign in to follow this  
Glutton for Punishment

Will this team be good enough for league 1?

As things currently stand this is what we will most likely have:

Marshall
Nelson
Rudd
OtsemoborDohertySpillaneDrury
Lappin
K. SmithRussellPattisonHoolahan
T. AdeyemiD. Lathrope
CuretonMcDonald
MartinL. Daley
K. Renton
Out:Clingan£1.5m
CroftEnd of contract
StefanovicRetired
CortReleased
In:Lee£250K
Shackell£500K
Needed:Right back
Left back
Centre mid x2
Another Centre back
Right mid

I''m sure that there will be more unexpected changes. For me this underlines the paper thin squad we have with a few solid players for league 1, little creativity (especially centre mid) and heavy reliance on untried youngsters to make it good.

Where is the money going to come from for 6 new players? This is the bare minimum we could get away with. Looks like we will be relying on loans yet again for the quality that we can not afford to buy.

Rudd, Otsemabor, Doherty, Spillane, Drury, Daley, Smith, Russell, Lappin, McDonald, Lee - seems ok. We need to get players in though.

No, not good enough for Division 1. We need some new players with ability, commitment and concentration.I fear that lower mid-table mediocrity is our destiny, and if we get a poor start there could even be  another relgation struggle.

You think we could keep Hoolahan? Be great if we could.. put him in a free role and I think he''d thrive in League One.

I was listening to Radio Nogood this morning.  Fans were saying this could all be positive, we''ll rebuild and push back to the Championship.  I''m not so sure,  If things don''t alter too much,  and we continue with the loans we''re more likely to drop through the bottom of League 1

[quote user="stress makes Gunns vitiligo worse"]I was listening to Radio Nogood this morning.  Fans were saying this could all be positive, we''ll rebuild and push back to the Championship.  I''m not so sure,  If things don''t alter too much,  and we continue with the loans we''re more likely to drop through the bottom of League 1 [/quote]Did they not realise that re-building costs a bit of money?

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]I don''t think Jon Otsemobor is good enough for Sunday League[/quote]I think he is pretending to be a footballer.

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]I don''t think Jon Otsemobor is good enough for Sunday League[/quote]I don''t think he''s good enough to even consider playing football again.

Hoolahan might stay in league 1,

after all leeds were rumoured to want him in january,

central midfielder....

lets get Gary Holt back!!!,

and i presume if Cort stays fit, he will stay, because hes not on a big wage.

Agreed Otsemobor strolls round like he dosen''t give a toss, he''s bloody useless, get rid.

[quote user="Glutton for Punishment"]

As things currently stand this is what we will most likely have:

Marshall
Nelson
Rudd
OtsemoborDohertySpillaneDrury
Lappin
K. SmithRussellPattisonHoolahan
T. AdeyemiD. Lathrope
CuretonMcDonald
MartinL. Daley
K. Renton
Out:Clingan£1.5m
CroftEnd of contract
StefanovicRetired
CortReleased
In:Lee£250K
Shackell£500K
Needed:Right back
Left back
Centre mid x2
Another Centre back
Right mid

[/quote]Not so sure that Shackell will come back, there''s likely to be a championship club, perhaps one of the ones coming up, who''ll put in for him and why would he choose League 1 with the team who sold him over a fresh start at a championship club?No, that team isn''t good enough, we don''t have enough cover anywhere for an extended run at promotion.  Mid-Table here we come!

Nooo we are in big trouble now and next season 4 teams to relegate to League Two .. beware because we are nothing at the moment.

Bury beat us after a replay.

MK Dons knocked us out this season.

We only drew away at Rochdale and Port Vale ...

Will it be better next season, maybe because there will be a new team, but there has been a new team every 4 to 5 months now and every time it''s deja vu ..

1, rudd

2, drury

3, semi

4, dejan

5, spilliane

6, pattison

7, hoolahan

8, russell

9, mcdonald

10, martin

11, smith

as well as cueton and lappin, cort and the younger members currently contracted to the club!!

need to keep hold off wes!!!

---------------------Rudd---------------------Otsemobor--Doherty--Spillane--Drury--------Smith------Daley----Russell--Hoolahan-----------------Lee----McDonald-----------That team doesn''t look too bad... Ideally we would have a different RB. Also need a fair few players for depth.

But we need new better goalscorers up front and in midfield as well ....

Maybe we can plug them away from the lower divisions as well, we are not too good for that, although a certain Glen Loan Roeder thought so, and we don''t need the Chelsea, Celtic or Glasgow loans anymore please ..

we scored more goals than birmingham this season. our problem clearly isnt scoring goals - its conceding them. The whole back 4 needs to be reconsidered. i still dont think doherty and shackell is a good enough partnership. its the partnership that has seen us fall right the way through the league. two solid full backs would be appreciated too. and we MUST OWN our back 4.

Please, please, please ...... no more loans. I would rather play our youth team and develop our own players instead of somebody else''s.

No. they''ll be doing well to finish higher than 15th, unless there''s a major turnaround. Get the loans out, get the likes of Spillane & Martin up to speed, new manager (Mark Robins anyone?)in asap, & a complete overhaul of the sorry mess of the last 4 years.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]---------------------Rudd-------------------
--Otsemobor--Doherty--Spillane--Drury----
----Smith------Daley----Russell--Hoolahan-
----------------Lee----McDonald-----------

That team doesn''t look too bad... Ideally we would have a different RB. Also need a fair few players for depth.
[/quote]

I agree that we can just about scrape a team together that does not look too bad on paper. However on closer inspection there is very little experience and virtually no cover. These two issues need to be addressed for us to stand a chance next year.

I hope that Stefanovic does make an appearance next season but I wouldn''t blame him for retiring rather than risk further serious injury for one last season battling the carthorse centre forwards in league 1. He may even be encouraged to retire in order to relieve the club of a large (if not the highest) player wage.

We also need an experienced manager. My choice would be Jim Gannon from Stockport but wouldn''t say no to Mark Robins.or Steve Tilson although the latter two are unlikely because it would cost us money to get them.

Even though we have hardly got a starting eleven to put together I expect statements to be issued about how the board can not continue to finance such and expensive player wage bill. Far from recruiting the further eight players that are needed I would not be surprised if we go in to August 2009 with the same small squad (less obvious departures) and the shortfall made up with loans. Such is the board''s track record of learning from their mistakes.