Sign in to follow this  
Josh Baines

New Strikers?

I''m sure this has been done loads of times before but here are my choices for a striker we should try and buy in Janurary.

Craig Fagan (Colchester United) Very quick skillful young striker. Colchesters top scorer so far. He scored that wonder goal against WBA. I support both Colchester and Norwich thus have seen Craig play many times. I''d imagine Colchester would sell him for around half a million. Or you could wait until the end of the season and get him on a free.

Marlon Harewood: Well I''m sure you know alot about him already.

Or perhaps Nigel should look abroad for a striker?

With only a million or so to play with we are going to have to be very careful how we spend our money.  I think a loan deal is going to be the most likely option as I wouldn''t have thought someone like Fagan would cut it in the Prem. 

Saw AS Roma v US Palermo on Sunday in the Stadio Olimpico.  I was quite impressed with the Palermo No.9, Luca Toni.  I don''t know what Palermo''s cash flow situation is like at the moment or how long a contract he is on, but he looked damn handy.

Palermo won Serie B last year and Toni got 30 goals in 45 appearances.  He reminded me a bit of Mark Hateley.  He seemed to trouble the Roma centre halves all game and tried to get on the end of everything.  He is 27 and 6ft4.  Seemed to be quick, strong, brave and didn''t dive like Mancini, Montella & De Rossi.  This is his 4th season in Serie A, and he has played for Brescia, Vicenza and Empoli in Serie A/B.  Career strike rate so far is a goal every 2.5 games, but his current form for Palermo is much better than that,

Nigel - got to be worth a look for January - OTBC

I agree a loan is the most likely solution although the possible candidates from the UK do look limited.

I have already mentioned that I am expecting an overseas signing given the lack of quality choices available at home. Perhaps cheering on Roma to finish bottom in their champ league group coul dbe good for us as Montella is looking for a new club and may fancy publicising himself here? A long shot and well out of our league but that is the sort of (perhaps slightly lower quality) rabbit that Worthy needs to pull from the hat.

An out of favour striker coming to the end of their contract and looking to sell themeselves for 5 months is our best bet - I just dont have a clue who is available in Europe..

OTBC

What about John Hartson at celtic, apparently he wants out and his contract is up at end of season, he''s been there and done it. Could be cheap to buy but high wages, but surely a 6 month contract till end of season to prove himself to others or us would be enough and affordable?

[quote]With only a million or so to play with we are going to have to be very careful how we spend our money. I think a loan deal is going to be the most likely option as I wouldn''t have thought[/quote]

DD ,where do you get your figures from?"a million or so" on what quote from N.C.F.C are you basing that on?Or are you making it up as you go along?I love all the different opinions on this site but your recent negative comments and figures as above that at best can only be wild conjecture I feel that youv''e slipped into fantasy land.

[quote]DD ,where do you get your figures from?"a million or so" on what quote from N.C.F.C are you basing that on?Or are you making it up as you go along?I love all the different opinions on this site but yo...[/quote]

Nolegs,

Norwich saved £1.2M from fans not cashing in preference B shares.  This we were told could be spent by Nige in January.  With this and Nige coming out in the last couple of days and saying that he''s looking for a bargain buy, I can''t see us being given much more than that.  That''s where I got my figure of "a million or so".

I''m not deliberately trying to be negative.  I would just like us to give it the best shot at staying up

DD know of any manager who aint looking for a bargain?As for the final amount he''ll spend I think a lot of people will be surprised come Jan!

I don''t wish to be negative, but I really think we will struggle to sign a beta forward than McKenzie in the January transfer window. For one there is a severe lack of quality Jon Stead type players in the lower leagues. I really don''t agree that Harewood is the answer, I think he is a good championship striker but no beta. The two strikers that stand out in the league are Nathan Ellington and Darren Bent. Wigan won''t sell Ellington and Ipswich wudn''t sell us Bent.

As for players with no prem experience, as we have seen with Jonson and Helveg already they take ages to settle and we need impact players!

When watching the game on Sat I realised we need a striker that can be our ''fox in the box''. Severe lack of these available. I reckon we cud do worse than sign Jon Macken or John Hartson. I have also thought about Danny Webber although his goals seem to have dried up of late. Whatever, Worthy is gonna have 2 earn his keep to find the striker we desperately need!

Fernando Partridge is a key member of Ipswich''s youth team since his dad''s career took a nosedive and he tragically ended up working for Radio Ipswich on the graveyard shift (all day).

Do you mean a lot of people will be surprised, Like we were in the summer than we spent less than 2M ??

Are we going to sign a striker from Wroxham for a bag of chips and a bottle of coke ?

Please not John Hartson though he is rubbish.

You can tell that it is half term can''t you.

Re earlier suggestions

Kevin Campbell - No better than what we have got.

Overseas players - cant really comment as have limited knowledge of italian/german/dutch strikers

Jon Hartson- Definitely not a "fox in the box" as he is more like an "ox in the box" but an effective ox at that.

Jon Macken - Yes, but will Man City let him go? Played last night, with Fowler, and now Wanchope has gone, who else is there as effective cover?

Cant really think of any other available options, but I just hope it is not Jonathan Johanssen from Charlton, as I dont think that he is the answer to our situation. However, I am happy to be proved wrong.

[quote]DD know of any manager who aint looking for a bargain?As for the final amount he''ll spend I think a lot of people will be surprised come Jan![/quote]

Fair play nolegs.  Looks like we''ll have to agree to disagree. 

We all agree on one thing though- We all hope city stay up

Fair enuff, but def never said John Hartsen was a fox in the box, said he was worth a shout! He def wudn''t add to the movement in the side, but wud probably add to the goal tally.

If you want another suggestion how about James McFadden at Everton? He will need games to stay in the Scotland squad when Berti goes and mayb Strachan comes in.

McFadden is hardly a proven prem striker though. I love the idea of Sutton, but it could all go so wrong as homecomings tend to do (Walker, Fleck).

I think if we start like we mean it, we could stay up with the side we have. But if we continue to play for 30-45 mins per match then maybe we do need a new striker.

Imagine how many more chances we would create if we played in the first half too! Surely Leon would put 1 or 2 of those away too, and we''d win the game?

Oi Super Shaun Carey I think Kevin Campbell is a perfectly valid sugestion.

Big, strong, experienced, good in the air, scored goals where ever he has played. Do you honestly believe he would have messed up the easy headers mackenzie has??? I think not.

I also don''t like you surgesting I''m a school child...... or teacher!!!!

While Hartson might be an answer to the striking problem he''s a player in the mould of the "big target man" which I really believe City have to avoid.

I''d like to see City pick up a striker in the mould of Henry/Rooney/Smith/Gudjohnssen/Saha/Bellamy - a guy who doesn''t immediately lend himself to the role of target man but one who is such a handful on the deck because of his mobility, pace and finishing.

Are they going to find someone in the window for £1.2M of that type? I doubt it.

Could they find that type of player available on loan in the January window? Maybe.

What about Solskjaer?

Kevin Campbell is an excellent suggestion - fully fit at the moment, out of contract in the summer and desperate to play, has consistently scored goals since joining Everton and always always gives 100%.  A big reason why Everton stayed up on a couple of occasions.  Reckon a nominal bid of £100k would get him.

Unfortunately Solskjaer is out for the season so he is a no go.

Wud be great to have Sutton back, no doubt, but will be a difficult prospect persuading him to swap a championship chase in Scotland, with a relegation fight in Norwich. I guess Clinton Morrison mite be a possibility, although very similiar player to McKenzie. In many ways I think that it will be harder to buy a beta striker than McKenzie in Jan. In some ways a midfielder who will boss games for us is more of a priority, someone like Micheal Brown who although scored last nite will struggle to be a Spurs regular.

Thankyou Templeton. You are a Gent and a Scholar.

I''m glad someone is backing me up.

Solskjaer is out for the season.

Obviously we would love a henry gujohnson etc but I don''t think its a reasonable expectation.

I really don''t think there is a striker out that seems ideal for our needs, budget and the type of player we can attract.

On the point of not wanting another target man, I do agree playing the ball on the floor is the way I want to see us play.  At the moment though I really would not care if we played long balls for 90 mins to two 6''5 strikers, as long as we start picking up some wins.

I do kind of agree with Worthys sentiment of playing good football and if we go down, at least we went down the right way.  Personally though I would prefer it if we played ugly football and stayed up, then try and play next season with a few more additions to the squad.

Iwan''s front teeth, my "half term" remark was not directed at you. Some of the posts on here though, are definitely something to do before trick or treating.

Kevin Campbell is top of my list, but each to his own I guess.

IwansFT said: "Obviously we would love a henry gujohnson etc but I don''t think its a reasonable expectation."

IwansFT you misinterpreted what I said slightly. I said that the Henry/Gudjonssen type of player was the sort of player that I thought City should look for. A number of posters have advocated in the past and even in this thread to try and get a Hartson sort of player and I will say it again Worthy should have playing the type of football that doesn''t require a Hartson sort of player up front. You invariably encourage your back line to hoof the ball forward. I''d rather see them work the ball through the opposition back four through pace and movement, hence my hope for a Henry/Gudjonssen sort of player.

Who in the lower leagues is this sort of player?

Is Dean Ashton a "Hartson" or a "Henry"? What about Harewood?

I like your thinking Morph.

I''d like to see a foreigner in - someone with some natural flair, ball control, agility and vision. Surely there must be an undiscovered gem somewhere in Germany / Italy / France / Spain / Austria / Russia / Mongolia...

I know he hasn''t had the best of starts at West brom but IMO Earnshaw might have been the sort of player we need, although possibly too similar to Leon (?)  He has real pace, runs at defenders for fun, and has a great eye for goal.  Someone I met at the weekend (Cardiff fan) said that she was mystified as to why he went to WBA because she didn''t think their style of play would suit him.  So far she seems to be right...although he doesn''t seem to have had too much of a chance there yet.  (Too pricey for us anyway, so no point in wishing).