Sign in to follow this  

May be a bit harsh, but in my opinion Marshall is the worst goalkeeper we''ve had since Simon Tracey. He doesn''t command his area as well as he should, his handling is inconsistent and he doesn''t instill confidence in the players in front of him, except opposition forwards of course. I''m not sure he even WANTED to sign for us in the first place. Thanks to another giant cock-up by the club and Roeder, we got shot of Joe Lewis to Posh and we all know what division he''ll be in next year. Good luck to the lad. Easy to say in hindsight, but I''d have been more than happy to have started next season with Lewis and Rudd. C''est La Vie.

Nothing wrong with Marshall apart from:-

He can''t kick

He doesn''t come out for crosses

He never throws the ball out

He doesn''t command the box

He often spills the balls he should hold onto

Hmm - sooner he goes the bettter.

Marshall is a good shot stopper but that''s about it. Joe Lewis cared about this club too.

If i were Marshall i wouldn''t throw the ball out. Throw it Otsemobor who normally messes up something a 10 year old can do and he has to then make another save.Also every keeper spills some shots and what really annoys me is many many times this season we have had shots spilled and our strikers never follow them up so their keeper can collect whereas when Marshall spills normally there is a somebody following up to score easily.

Marshall has also earned us a lot of points this year, remember he''s only 23!

He has also been behind arguably the worst city defence in history! How many players have we used in the defence this year?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Marshall has also earned us a lot of points this year, remember he''s only 23! He has also been behind arguably the worst city defence in history! How many players have we used in the defence this year?[/quote]

Marshall has been both good and bad this year I agree. It''s a very valid point about his age and the fact that he has probably earned us at least as many points as he cost us. The 1m we spent on him was an unbelievably crazy deal though. We already had a good young and inexperienced ''keeper on our books. For clubs with budgets our size the 1m transfers should be for players who can score goals.

His kicking from his hands or dead ball is usually good and he does throw the ball to players when they are available, even yesterday. However his kicking when under pressure from back passes is panic stricken and the fault for that is from the negative football played by some of our midfield. How many times yesterday did players collect the ball in midfield, turn into the space behind them and play the ball backwards. This often results in a hoof from the centreback or a pass back to the keeper. Simon Lappin is not my favourite player but yesterday he continually tried to pass the ball forwards where as Darel Russell was often guilty of putting his own defenders under pressure.

Negative football throughout our team has put the spotlight onto marshalls weaknesses.

I stuck up for Marshall earlier in the season, but its becoming clear his all-round game isn''t very good whether it is his kicking, distribution, commanding the area, crosses, etc.  Reminds me a bit of Paul Gallacher in that he''s a good shot-stopper but has flaws in too many other areas.  That''s what people forget about Robert Green - they (rightly) remember the saves but don''t remember how good he was in the other aspects of his game.  How often did he spill a cross?

Marshall''s not the worst player in the side and yes, he''s a had a poor team in front of him, but he''s certainly played his part.  If he''s going to stay next season, then we must have decent cover in place.  He''s really not had anyone to challenge him.

[quote user="Arthur Frederick"]May be a bit harsh, but in my opinion Marshall is the worst goalkeeper we''ve had since Simon Tracey. He doesn''t command his area as well as he should, his handling is inconsistent and he doesn''t instill confidence in the players in front of him, except opposition forwards of course. I''m not sure he even WANTED to sign for us in the first place. Thanks to another giant cock-up by the club and Roeder, we got shot of Joe Lewis to Posh and we all know what division he''ll be in next year. Good luck to the lad. Easy to say in hindsight, but I''d have been more than happy to have started next season with Lewis and Rudd. C''est La Vie.[/quote]

I''m not surprised he''s poor with the shower of sh!te that is supposed to be the ''defence'' in front of him.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Marshall has also earned us a lot of points this year, remember he''s only 23! He has also been behind arguably the worst city defence in history! How many players have we used in the defence this year?[/quote]

Marshall has been both good and bad this year I agree. It''s a very valid point about his age and the fact that he has probably earned us at least as many points as he cost us. The 1m we spent on him was an unbelievably crazy deal though. We already had a good young and inexperienced ''keeper on our books. For clubs with budgets our size the 1m transfers should be for players who can score goals.

His kicking from his hands or dead ball is usually good and he does throw the ball to players when they are available, even yesterday. However his kicking when under pressure from back passes is panic stricken and the fault for that is from the negative football played by some of our midfield. How many times yesterday did players collect the ball in midfield, turn into the space behind them and play the ball backwards. This often results in a hoof from the centreback or a pass back to the keeper. Simon Lappin is not my favourite player but yesterday he continually tried to pass the ball forwards where as Darel Russell was often guilty of putting his own defenders under pressure.

Negative football throughout our team has put the spotlight onto marshalls weaknesses.

[/quote]

SPot on about our midfield nutty.   Knowing how poor his (and the central defenders) clearances are under pressure why do the team pass back,  they may as well punt the ball forward themselves,  afterall they are the ball players,  not the keeper.   It is just about negative play and not being prepared to look like the one making a mistake - a complete lack of team work... 

I think he gets a lot of unfair stick.

Yeah, he makes mistakes, but he has to be the busiest keeper i''ve ever seen in a City shirt, what with that shower of a defense in front of him, so he''s bound to make mistakes.

For his age, his talents are considerable. And does anyone here think we''ll be likely to attract a better keeper than him here next season in League One? Not a hope..

Marshalls age doesn''t come into it.. if you had a 24 year old left back costing us points every week he''d get crucified...

Marshall isn''t an 18 year old, wet behind the ears, rookie.. he has been playing professionally for 7 or 8 years now... he should of removed these mistakes from his game some time ago.. he hasn''t.. yes Goalkeepers peak around 31 or 32 but the true quality ones are established and mistake free around Marshalls age...

its a poor reason to defend a player who has cost us more points than he has gained us in his time here.

it just goes to show how far the club has fallen when people will accept this 3rd rate clown after the likes of Green, Woods and Gunn have gone before....

jas :)

Busy goalkeepers are, or become, good goalkeepers iof they have the necessary talent in the first place. So much of goalkeepeing is positioning, talking, giving and receiving confidence and concentration. When you are busy for 90 minutes its a lot easier to keep concentration and improve. But you do have to have the talent in the first place ..... isn''t Marshall a scottish goalkeeper signed by a scottish manager?

The point is Jas that goalies don''t peak until later than other players, so Marshall has time to improve.

I''d say the main point people are making in defense of him is that he players in front of him are useless. Of course he''ll let goals in and make mistakes when the people protecting him aren''t doing their job!

As for your ''third rate'' comment, well, we''re in a third rate division next season, aren''t we? So surely he''ll fit right in. Who do you expect to sign, exactly? The next Buffon?

we wont get a world class keeper of course not.. but why cant we find someone like a gunny, or a woodsy, a cheap lower division signing who can do whats called upon and improve year on year.. rather than an expensive reserve team player who once saved a penalty from Ronaldinho?

jas :)

he is terrible i almost poop my self everytime i hear his name on the radio, and i was hoping the biggest ray of light to come out of this relegation is that he would go as ive lost count the number of games he has cost us !http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED04%20May%202009%2011%3A40%3A02%3A930please activiate any release clause or just go some where else and get them relegated 

I think Marshall is a decent keeper whose confidence has gone as a result of playing behind that defence, in a continually failing side and under a succession of poor managers. The right manager would get him back to what he''s capable of, I think. A personal view is he''s never been quite the same since that horrible injury at Chelsea in the Cup - but then, that could be because the team''s been sliding ever since in any case.

Come on....I would think he must have a permanant nervous flinch on the right side of his face following Otsemobors ''defending'' this season.