Sign in to follow this  
W-H

Newbie rant

I need to have a rant. Sorry if this covers old ground and contributes little to the debate but it will make me feel better!

Where did it all go wrong? There have been plenty of posts made on mistakes by the Board, the managers  and, not enough for my liking, by the players. Relegation to the turd division should be considered as a wake up call. The thing about wake up calls is that when you get one it is generally a good idea to wake up!

How to put it right? Here are some thoughts:

1)      Have a strategy – not just a slogan or an “ambition” but a proper strategy to achieve some realistic goals. 2009/10 – get back to Championship & good cup run, 2010/11 consolidate in championship 2011/12 premiership? The problem with the current set up is that the football management team take one game at a time, the board leave football decisions to the football  management so where is the strategy? I think that NCFC is one of the few teams in England where a Director of Football is desperately needed. Someone to bridge the gap between the well meaning/dedicated  football management and the commercially “prudent”  but football naive board.

2)      Agency workers (sorry I mean loan players) – Easy to sign (no complicated negotiations & legal stuff) easy to get rid of (ditto) but expensive. A key step must be to get a good permanent squad together and fill the gaps with agency staff when needed. This should not be seen as an ambition but as a necessity to get out of the turd division. How can this be achieved – another task for the Director of Football. Sign Lee and Shackell for a start.

3)      Sort out the defence. Come on Gunny, we had a good run before the Binners game – then it went to sh*t at Reading and Charlton. Fortress Carrow Rd must be a priority for the next season. McDonald and Lee will get shedloads of goals next season but it will count for nothing if shedloads + 1 always go in the other end.  Get rid of Semmy (put him on e-bay may get a few quid as long as buyer will collect) and get a carthorse at the back.

Now time for my medication and a lie down. Nurse!

Everybody''s griping on about how few goals we scored,but we scored more than Birmingham.

The priority is defence. Stop shipping stupid goals. Stop giving away needless free kicks/pens. Stop allowing opposition wide men to cross at will. It''s easy to forget that we did not lose a game by more than 2 goals all season. Mostly by one only. So stop conceding ,equals lots more pts. Not rocket science,is it?

The key to getting out of the 3rd Div is having a decent defence. Always. No exceptions.

Spot on, it was our at times comical defending that cost us everything in the end. Far, far too many soft goals conceded at crucial times in important matches. Semmy is not good enough. Period. He isn''t solely to blame, but getting shot of him would be a great start.

I don''t think "getting back to the Championship" is a strategy. It''s an ambition, or goal. The strategy is how to get there.

On the strategic front, I suspect there are two broad options. One is to hold onto our players, or try to, reinvest money from any sales into new players, and put all our eggs into getting back first time. Leicester did this, with success. Of course, if it goes wrong, the season after we have to sell everyone to balance the books or to avoid administration.

The other option is to try to balance the books now, cash in on Clinghan, Marshall, Hoolahan, reinvest little of that money, mainly into experienced and physical league one pros (or people like Alan Lee) and hope they can lead our talented youngsters forward. It may not work year one, but with the youngsters a year older things may improve the following year. Or the year after. Forest did this.

Of course, we may not have a choice. If the finances dictate administration, and I fear they may, then we''re stuck with the latter option.