Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

Split in the boardroom?

Is it just me who''d detected this? Munby has put a great deal of our failure this season down to too many loan signings; Doncaster says we''ll still be using the loan option. Munby blames Roeder and Grant; Delia says she "disagrees". Martin Armstrong was forced out, Barry Skipper left before asking questions about where we were heading. The Turners appeared one minute, then vanished with no explanation the next.

This is all just supposition - but what I suspect is it''s Delia who''s had the casting vote with regard to various managers, and it''s Delia who''ll be pushing, absurdly, for Gunn to get the job. I suspect that Munby can see things a little more clearly - albeit he still doesn''t really get it, and is likely to be outflanked within the board by Delia, Doomy and Foulger (AKA The Invisible Man). And while it''s perfectly possible the Turners left for their own financial reasons, could it be that they spent a year doing due diligence, were horrified at the ridiculous expenditure on non-footballing matters, made their recommendations for change, and were - in the manner of governments ignoring inquiries everywhere - just completely ignored?

Just a thought. But if I''m right, the chaos and decline will surely just continue.

I just cannot see how they can claim to have learnt lessons and are going to change things if they then appoint one of our worst ever managers for a second spell .No way must Gunn get the job.

Was interesting to hear Munby admit that the board lack any real football knowledge and perhaps this will be something to come out of Wednesday''s meeting.

Who could we put on the board with a high degree of football knowledge whilst not undermining the next manager of the club?

I still think Gunn was given the job mainly because he was a yes man and grateful for the opportunity. I don''t think the board were prepared to have a new manager making demands on them. Hence Gunn being the easiest option for the board.

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]Was interesting to hear Munby admit that the board lack any real football knowledge and perhaps this will be something to come out of Wednesday''s meeting. Who could we put on the board with a high degree of football knowledge whilst not undermining the next manager of the club? [/quote]

Some people have suggested Rioch, which is a decent idea, albeit he and Delia clearly didn''t get on when he was manager and completely shafted by Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Thing is though, we don''t have to come up with a name: what they should be doing is sacking Doncaster, advertising the position, and inviting applications from people who''ve already been CEOs of football clubs elsewhere. Can''t be that difficult, can it?

I have to say that having just read Delia and MWJs full comments on Waghorn''s site I am absolutely staggered and totally downbeat about our prospects. They appear to have learnt nothing. MWJ thinks Gunn was a "gamble worth taking" and Delia defies any of us to be able to chose the right manager from a list of candidates because its really difficult. Perhaps it is bl&&dy difficult if you know b*8ger all about football but I have to say that IMHO the vast majority of our fans would have little or no difficulty in sifting through a list of potential managers and telling you who are any good and who are clearly not! Most clubs when looking for a manager identify who they want and go and get them like Ipswich did with Keane and Forest with Davies. We on the other hand interview them as if they are going for a commercial job and , as I understand it, even make them do psychometric (sp?) tests. you couldn''t make it up. Apparently Grant and Roeder did really well on those!

The other thing we learnt from the Gunn appointment process is that Doncaster puts together the shortlist for the board to consider. This man therefore above anyone else influences who is or is not in the running for our jobs!

Didn''t Gunn get the job because of the way Munby admired the way he was standing on the touch line vs Barnsley

[quote user="steve o"]Didn''t Gunn get the job because of the way Munby admired the way he was standing on the touch line vs Barnsley[/quote]

Gunn got the job because:

1. He was cheap;

2. He would take a 3 month contract; and

3. PR wise it was a dream because the board knew it would take a hell of a lot for the fans to turn on a NCFC legend and that in the short term it would get the fans off their back.

Thats how they roll!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I have to say that having just read Delia and MWJs full comments on Waghorn''s site I am absolutely staggered and totally downbeat about our prospects. They appear to have learnt nothing. MWJ thinks Gunn was a "gamble worth taking" and Delia defies any of us to be able to chose the right manager from a list of candidates because its really difficult. Perhaps it is bl&&dy difficult if you know b*8ger all about football but I have to say that IMHO the vast majority of our fans would have little or no difficulty in sifting through a list of potential managers and telling you who are any good and who are clearly not! Most clubs when looking for a manager identify who they want and go and get them like Ipswich did with Keane and Forest with Davies. We on the other hand interview them as if they are going for a commercial job and , as I understand it, even make them do psychometric (sp?) tests. you couldn''t make it up. Apparently Grant and Roeder did really well on those!

The other thing we learnt from the Gunn appointment process is that Doncaster puts together the shortlist for the board to consider. This man therefore above anyone else influences who is or is not in the running for our jobs!

[/quote]

Yes, that''s pretty much right although I understand that our esteemed club secretary, Kevan Platt is also involved in the process. This is a guy who has landed the secretary''s job purely on the basis that he is part of the furniture at Carrow Road. He is unskilled an any aspects of football and yet he and Doncaster basically choose the manager and present their selection to the board to be rubber-stamped (because none of them has anything to add to the process).

Hence you get rediculous decisions such as re-approaching Worthington because Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee convinced themselves that it would be a good idea.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]

Is it just me who''d detected this? Munby has put a great deal of our failure this season down to too many loan signings; Doncaster says we''ll still be using the loan option. Munby blames Roeder and Grant; Delia says she "disagrees". Martin Armstrong was forced out, Barry Skipper left before asking questions about where we were heading. The Turners appeared one minute, then vanished with no explanation the next.

This is all just supposition - but what I suspect is it''s Delia who''s had the casting vote with regard to various managers, and it''s Delia who''ll be pushing, absurdly, for Gunn to get the job. I suspect that Munby can see things a little more clearly - albeit he still doesn''t really get it, and is likely to be outflanked within the board by Delia, Doomy and Foulger (AKA The Invisible Man). And while it''s perfectly possible the Turners left for their own financial reasons, could it be that they spent a year doing due diligence, were horrified at the ridiculous expenditure on non-footballing matters, made their recommendations for change, and were - in the manner of governments ignoring inquiries everywhere - just completely ignored?

Just a thought. But if I''m right, the chaos and decline will surely just continue.

[/quote]

Bigfeller, I don''t know how much their own finances had to do with them leaving, but I genuinely know for a fact the Turners were also fed up with the way the club was being run.  You''re almost spot on with your theory about them.

Its a shame that both the Turners and Skipper have not come out and given fans a bit more of an insight into how things go at Carrow Road. Would make for very interesting reading me thinks!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Its a shame that both the Turners and Skipper have not come out and given fans a bit more of an insight into how things go at Carrow Road. Would make for very interesting reading me thinks!

[/quote]

Completely agree Jim. But in that case - and in the further back one of Martin Armstrong too, not to mention Mike Walker (other former managers are still in football, so aren''t going to badmouth a former employer for fear of being branded trouble by potential future ones), I''d say someone needs to contact them, wouldn''t you?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]I''m surprised archant haven''t pushed this more. It''s quite clear the Turners left not just because of the credit crunch but because of internal problems at the club.

I''d quite like to see Bruce Rioch or somebody of that ilk back as an advisor to the board. The time for politics at board room level must come to an end for the good of the club. Rioch would have the best interests of the club at heart aswell as a wider array of contacts than Gunn can muster.

Not sure if it should be as a director of football position as that be a problem i.e. Hamilton. Maybe more of a football consultant role.

[quote user="TheFineCity"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I''m surprised archant haven''t pushed this more. It''s quite clear the Turners left not just because of the credit crunch but because of internal problems at the club.
[/quote]

I''m sure someone from Archant has been o here before and said that The Turners have declined interview on many occasions. It''s believed that there are non-disclosure contracts in place with them and also with Roeder which is why he''s never been interviewed either.

i would exspect doncaster to continue to want loan players ,

i cant believe this bloke who is ment to be clever can came come across so dumb.

this is a big reason we got relegated this season , too many loan players no passion .

the future of this club is so bad is worrying .

the quote wood and trees spring to mind .

[quote user="Dictator Smith"]I just cannot see how they can claim to have learnt lessons and are going to change things if they then appoint one of our worst ever managers for a second spell .No way must Gunn get the job.
[/quote]

Spot on DS!

Doncaster, Smith, Jones and Munby should all fall on their sword...What makes them think (as if they really do!), or that anyone should believe them when they say that they will do whatever it takes to bounce back. They''ve had more than their fair share of opportunities to make a success of this club. Do they think that it will be any easier to succeed in League 1...God help us all!

I''m convinced the Turner issue is to do with the "root and branch" review of the club that they promised when appointed to the board. Closest I''ve ever come to anything substantial on the Turners is the rumour of a 15-point plan that the Turners submitted which then sat in ND''s in-tray unacted upon for 3 months.

The other thing I heard is that Cullum was at the game against Reading as a guest of Delia. Don''t know if that is correct or not - not, probably, given the EDP a couple of days later.

That said, I think the Cullum issue has completely deflected debate away from what happened to investment that the club had managed to attract? Are the owners and the executive really that difficult to get along with? It''s about time that the local media did a bit more digging around the Turners.

An ex employee of the club who has since departed these shores claimed that the Turners had no time for doncaster and the way he seemed to run the club and pushed for him to be sacked, but delia just wouldn''t do it, therefore they left.