Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Guilty

I must say I have found the season so far to be a bit disappointing.  However, I am pretty sure that it''s my own fault.  At the start of the season, I wasn''t expecting much more than I have got so far from city but I have got lost somewhere.

I think I convince myself somehow, that we could win games when realistically it''s going to be very hard.  I got my hopes up for the Arsenal game thinking we might beat them.

Anyone else guilty of letting their heart rule their head?

Yep, definitely! Im confident in the week leading up to the game that we will record our first win. At the minute convinced we will beat Man City, but prob just riding the cloud of eternal optimism. Yet I think we wud all except we hadn''t won if we were playin badly. But we''re not, in patches we have looked like we cud beat most teams, its just we cannot put a 90 minute performance together. Potentially on our day we cud beat Man Ciy on Mon and beat Southampton and Blackburn at home, but then again nother three draws, please no!

Nope... not me...!  Though I take absolutely no pleasure in saying it, I agree that many of us were a bit more ''cocky'' at the start of the season than we should have been, e.g. in assuming that in one of the 3 top leagues (as opposed to cup competitions) in the world, team spirit and commitment were more important than footballing quality. 

In fact other clubs'' fans were rightly criticising some of us for it at the time.  I was even obliquely reprimanded around July/August by one poster on this very board, for criticising the way some sections of the local press (but not the Pink Un!!!!!) regularly contribute to these false expectations through their over-optimistic season previews.

That''s not to say we shouldn''t be positive - we can definitely still hope to scrape survival (which is exactly what I''ve personally been hoping for from the word go, hence my slogan at one point of ''Livin on a Prayer''!).  But as for predicting us reaching mid-table, or beating Arsenal, etc. well...

Besides, it only breeds the type of disappointment and frustration we are reading about now, which people tend to take out on others (the club''s board, the manager, the players etc. - anyone but themselves).  With the noble exception of your holy self, Saint!

Never Mind the Danger!

Saint, I''m exactly the same.  I thought we might be the team to break the Arsenal run.  I go into every game thinking we can win it.

If someone told me that we could have 3 points out of the next 3 games or gamble them for a win or loss only in each game, I would gamble because our first win is someone in amongst those 3 games.  2 losses and a win will still only be 3 points, but a WIN, god do we need it.

I predict a draw against City, win over Blackburn and win over Southampton.  7 points lovely

By the way, and when we storm up the table after Christmas and just miss out on Europe (on fair play criteria), I really hope that I too would have the guts to say I might have got it wrong before.  It''s a rare virtue, I wonder if I possess it!

[quote]By the way, and when we storm up the table after Christmas and just miss out on Europe (on fair play criteria), I really hope that I too would have the guts to say I might have got it wrong before. I...[/quote]

I suppose I might as well start out now: I realise my prediction league record, while not wildly optimistic andreally attempting to be realistic (so I''d get more points!), nevertheless shows I am regularly disappointed by seeing draws when I predicted a win.  So there you go, I''m in the "Forgive me! I was wrong!" camp too...

Yes you and me both Saint

In fifty five years since I saw my first City match I''ve been the super optimist when ever City play, my heart says "yes we can" whilst a boring voice in the sensible regions of brain scoffs "you must be joking".

But the old heart has had it''s successes, like 3-0 v Man Utd when we were a 3rd.Div.S club.

And I''m still saying it, City will be 17th. Leon will score 20 goals..........

I think at the end of the day, some of us are guilty of expecting too much from the team and when realism kicks in some of us get frustrated and heap unfair criticism on certain players and we look for someone to blame.

After some games I really wanted to come on here and blast certain players, decisions and such like but then I realise no-one at NCFC promised anything different from what we are getting, so I don’t.  It’s going to be a long hard season, as we all knew it would be!  If people want to let off steam at players on this board though, I have no objection, it’s better than some “supporters” who boo their own team.