Sign in to follow this  
gangmower

helveg

thomas helveg is quite simply not good enough at this level.and the reason bentley didnt play wed night he has fell out with worthington.

To be fair Phil, both of these statements are dubious.  Granted, Helveg has been dissapointing but he has rarely had the chance to play in his position, and he needs time to adapt to the Premiership, especially when you consider the number of minutes he has played.

Regarding your second point, even before the season began Worthy stated that he wasn''t going to be playing Bentley all the time as he is only young and is liable to suffer burnout if he is not protected.  

Ha ha ha haaaaa!!!Helveg not good enough at this level?!?!?So we''re better than AC Milan, Inter Milan and Denmark are we?I think the phrase "Thomas Helveg is confused by the kick and rush tactics of Norwich City" would be more appropriate.

To be honest, I think that the right-back position is our weakest point.

Thomas needs time to adapt but I am not sure we can give him that luxery week in week out...I mean, how long is this ''adapting'' going to take?

Marc Edworthy, to be fair, gives his all but he has wobbled a couple of times. Did he give away the penalty the other night? Did he stop Duncan Ferguson''s winning goal against Everton? He jumped but got nowhere near him.

Where was his marking when Kevin Kilbane came in at the far post and scored Everton''s first? Don''t get me wrong, I like Marc and Thomas, but I feel it is a weak area for us.

bananman - I don''t think you mocking the original poster is very helpful. You say "So we''re better than AC Milan, Inter Milan and Denmark are we?". Well Helveg is no longer good enough to play for any of those clubs sides anymore, hence we were able to sign him. But to be honest he doesn''t look good enough even for us.

By comparison Edworthy - a Div One full back for most of his career - has by sheer effort and determination put him to shame. On current form Helveg, in my opinion, looks like a player who should have retired. He is slow, uncompetitive, cannot defend, and his passing is very poor.

A huge shame because on paper Helveg looked like a class signing with the pedigree he has. In reality he looks like he has seen one last pay day at NCFC and grabbed it with both hands. As with Jonson, I want to be proved wrong. But we are over a quarter way through the season already and I''m still waiting.

How many full games in his natural position has he played?Two?That is nowhere near enough to get him up to speed. Judge him once he''s had a good run in the team in his right(geddit?)ful place.The man is class - it doesn''t just disappear.

yet another repeated topic, , shame on you

I am still championing Helveg.  He has only played his favoured position once and for goodness sake people he was marking Ryan Giggs and personally I didn''t think he was that terrible.  Granted Eddy has taken his opportunity with both hands and feet and has played out of skin, but there are areas of his game that could be improved massively, passing, marking.

Helveg has had a few halfs in 3 different positions, you can''t expect him to be wonderful.  I heard he was quality against Bristol, okay they are a weaker team, we still only just won though.  The trouble is that he hasn''t been given two games in a row in the same place and I think that is bad on Worthy''s part.  Perhaps Eddy is playing better in training though, who knows?

I know I always do this and you lot probably laugh at me for it, but I manage a Sunday team, so always draw comparisons where I can see them.  I signed a player who plays right wing this season.  However I already had a decent winger.  I have therefore given this new guy games in the centre, right back, upfront and even on the left wing, just to give him a chance.  He has played okay, but hasn''t been briliant.  I sub him nearly every week.   Last week I finally played him right wing for the second half and he was quality, so I am giving him another go this weekend even though my usual winger is top goal scorer.  My point is players need to be given a chance in their strongest position and one game is not enough to rate them properly.   Lets all give Helveg a chance before we write him off, please!!

"The trouble is that he [Helveg] hasn''t been given two games in a row in the same place and I think that is bad on Worthy''s part."That must have been a different Helveg I saw play against Crystal Palace then Man Utd in our opening two games then.

[quote]thomas helveg is quite simply not good enough at this level.and the reason bentley didnt play wed night he has fell out with worthington.[/quote]

Phil

Do you have any back up for your statements at all?  I agree that helveg has made a pretty poor start to his Norwich career but to say that he''s not good enough for this level is a questionable statement to say the least.  Good players don''t become bad one''s overnight

:ermmoes anyone really care about Thomas Helveg, he came on a free (albeit I suspect he''s one of the higher earners) but with respect he''s a right back. On the scale of it right backs tend not to win you much. Now creative midfielders/goalscoring centre forwards that''s another matter. NW seems to have overlooked that.

Pyro, point well made, I didn''t see or listen to the palace game so that one slipped my mind

Still think he hasn''t had a fair crack of the whip though especially compared to Eddy who I think is now making the odd costly mistake.

Given that Jonson is improving game by game (impressive at SJP too - Neil adams gave him as city MOM) it shows what getting a run of games will do to get a player up to speed.

Yes the tank engine did play both palace (did) OK and manure (one dodgy half); but so did jonson who has gone from strength to strength.

Helveg and Jonson both have that touch of class that means their form will return - Helveg just needs a run of games. The doc got that run, Holt has and Leon is now too. Thomas deserves his fair crack of the whip in his favoured position - IS A COUPLE OF GAMES, WHEN GETTING USED TO THE PACE OF THE PREM REASONABLE? My answer to those with short memories is to recall how the career of a certain Thierry Henry started at Highbury. He scored very few goals in the first half of his first season and did not look like an impressive signing - look at him now!

Secondly a player coming back from injury fequently needs half a dozen games to get back to full speed - and thats someone who is used to the english pace. How many more for someone who has never experienced it before?

The bloke has class, that always remains; as Eddie is shows form is purely temporary.

OTBC