Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Captain Drury - Mistake?

It seems so - but i can''t agree with Freedy H i think is a little too harsh in thinking even Steeno was better. That''s plainly ridiculous. He defends as well as the rest of the back line and as a defender he is MILES better than steeno. Anyone who saw Huckerby turn Nedergaard inside out all game long on a certain afternoon in Nottingham last season will know that.
But, admittedly, the whole captain thing seems to be weighing on his performances. After Walsall scored he got a roasting from Malky - i really don''t think he commands much respect from his team mates. But to drop him as captain now would undermine his confidence yet further. It''s a tricky situation and if we could send him to Machester in return for Huckerby i''d do it PROVIDED we had someone to take his place. And right now there is absolutely no-one who can. I don''t know if we''re ever going to see Brennan in a City shirt...

That would be a big mistake, letting him go. Hucks has done the business for about three months wherever he has been, then faded into obscurity. You have to stick by your players - they have bad patches and good patches - a good player will still be good in a seasons time. Give jukebox the benefit of the doubt, he''ll be back big style next season.

It is a shame that every time Drury makes a mistake it becomes a major issue with some contributors on this message board. He doesn''t make mistakes because he is Captain, but because he is normal like most players. The problem is that Drury had an outstanding season last year and has not quite lived up to that this season. Having said that, he is still our best defender either at the back, or going forward in support of the front line.

I do not believe Nigel would like to do a player exchange for any of our good players. He is trying to put together a team to get into the Premiership, and more importantly, stay there.

true true, i agree but if we are going to be realistic about getting our selfs into the premiership maybe we need to think about sacraficing one of our players, i think that greeno is out of the question but when it comes to druray then maybe we could let him go depending on brenann coming back in time after the transfer window is shut if he goes, especially if drurays performance does not improve. its proven that you need goals to get to the top and we have defenitely lacked that instinct the past few years when we have been challenging, backing this theory up i feel our defencive cover is plenty..... But Drurays performance has been lacking recently no-one can say what it is apart from the player himself and im sure thatr if he felt he wasnt capable of leading the team as captain which i feal he isnt, he would stand down himself.... but thinking about it maybe his form could stop our switch deal with man city even going through, i.e. kevin keegan might not wont him!!!!!

I can''t believe what I''m reading over the last few days!! Adam Drury is one of the class acts we have on a permanent basis. He might have made one mistake early on against Walsall but the rest of his performance was excellent. His commitment going forward is now much better than the play off season and against Walsall he was up and down all game long supporting the attack as well as doing his defensive duties. His run to set up the equaliser was top class. As for his suitability as captain, whose job is it to keep the players going once the game starts? For the last two seasons going behind meant losing, whoever the captain was, Iwan, Malky or whoever. Now time after time we come back from behind to take something from the game. Surely that must have something to do with the way the captain leads the team on the pitch. We are in the middle of one of our best runs for ages and still we read criticism of the manager, the board, our centre back, the captain etc etc etc. If you believe "if it ain''t broke don''t fix it" then leave it as it is for now and let the people in position who know what they''re doing get on with sorting out the future.
PS The support at Walsall was absolutely brilliant. Let''s keep it up and we''ll be doing our part as well.