Sign in to follow this  
Kathy

NCISA press statement regarding the current situation at the football club

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Blimey Nutty, Hamilton was rubbish, in fact he''s gone better than any other city manager in my long time following NCFC, he actually made me fall asleep while watching his terminally dull and rubbish side try to play football. Can''t remember the game, thank goodness. But no one before or since has managed to be as bad. I think the only good thing we can say about him is he''s long gone.[/quote]

I agree Gazza. Hamilton, Grant and Roeder will be remembered as three of the worst managers in our history. The point I was making was that as I remember it Hamilton was appointed first and then consulted for the other half of the "dream team". The names I remember were Bruce Rioch, Steve Bruce and Nigel Worthington. That wasn''t a bad shortlist as it goes. Whether we ended up with first, second or third choice I haven''t got a clue, Maybe Bigfeller knows.

In his solo year Hamilton brought a load of rubbish to the club, however there were a few gems if you look hard enough. Finally recruiting Worthy was his best and Paul McVeigh, Alex Notman was a decent sub and Giallanza could have been the best of all before his injury. As always I do try to dwell on the positives most people only mention DeWaard, Derveld, Brady, Hamilton, Walsh and Cottee.[;)]

But it would appear that Hamilton was more use than Stringer in guiding the boards managerial appointments.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]

That''s it. After he left, just for once, the board got lucky and we enjoyed some success before it went sour. Worthington should''ve gone a year before he finally did; that he didn''t, and especially because our boneheaded group of idiots hadn''t got a clue how to replace him with a decent manager, played a large part in where we now find ourselves.

[/quote]

Well we are going to have to disagree on that point bigfeller.

[quote user="shortfatb"]

Isn''t this level of masturbatory semantics part of the problem?

We definitely need some short list of demands to rally round whether this is compiled by the NCISA, BF, NN, Mello or Smudger. Someone or some group needs to start to drive this in an organised and incisive way and sadly the first statement disappointed me in terms of style and content. However some people are good at rallying others, some people are good at writing pithily and beautifully, some people are good at taking notes, getting subscriptions in, making tea, getting up the nose of failing managers, etc, etc.

So let''s decide who does what, get an agreed list to hit the board with in a controlled, professional and relentless way and move on from there. If this can be the NCISA then great, if it is as amateurish, not literally, as the first statement and somebody else wants a go then put yourself forward. I''m ready to rally.           

[/quote]

But like I said earlier it really depends what our aims are. And the aims of the posters on this message board range from hounding out Smith&Jones without a care what follows to asking them to put some sort of football man on the board. NCISA sent out questionnaires to their members and as I understand it got the same confused response. It was easy with Worthy, it was in or out. An easy campaign for people to get behind. And the first statement fron NCISA back in 2005 made it quite clear that sacking the manager was the one and only aim.

What do you think is the best plan of action then Nutty sweetheart??

[quote user="cityangel"]What do you think is the best plan of action then Nutty sweetheart??[/quote]

Sorry Angel but I don''t have a plan.

I believe the answer is in the appointment of football manager. Everyone has an idea who would do a good job but do we really know? When we appointed Roeder I thought Calderwood could do a job but look what happened at Forest.

If people want a pound of flesh then let it be Doncaster but how much difference would that really make?

Stick a football man on the board but then would he undermine the new manager?

Hound out Smith&Jones and watch the club go to the wall?

It''s not easy is it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="shortfatb"]

Isn''t this level of masturbatory semantics part of the problem?

We definitely need some short list of demands to rally round whether this is compiled by the NCISA, BF, NN, Mello or Smudger. Someone or some group needs to start to drive this in an organised and incisive way and sadly the first statement disappointed me in terms of style and content. However some people are good at rallying others, some people are good at writing pithily and beautifully, some people are good at taking notes, getting subscriptions in, making tea, getting up the nose of failing managers, etc, etc.

So let''s decide who does what, get an agreed list to hit the board with in a controlled, professional and relentless way and move on from there. If this can be the NCISA then great, if it is as amateurish, not literally, as the first statement and somebody else wants a go then put yourself forward. I''m ready to rally.           

[/quote]

But like I said earlier it really depends what our aims are. And the aims of the posters on this message board range from hounding out Smith&Jones without a care what follows to asking them to put some sort of football man on the board. NCISA sent out questionnaires to their members and as I understand it got the same confused response. It was easy with Worthy, it was in or out. An easy campaign for people to get behind. And the first statement fron NCISA back in 2005 made it quite clear that sacking the manager was the one and only aim.

[/quote]Nigel, I think that the only way for a good number of supporters to sing from the same hymn sheet is if there is a concerted effort to sound the board out at some sort of level. Only then can discussion take place between supporters on what is the next move. Until that base level is set in place we will just continue to be a splintered number of voices.

Fair enough you haven''t got a plan, nor have most people.[:)]

Are you happy or the current board and Gunn to stay in power for next season?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

On the basis of what I have seen since Roeder went I think it would be madness for Gunn to remain as manager after tomorrow. I would have thought his position is now untenable.

If the board manage to somehow appoint the right manager and the team perform and do well the spotlight will leave them like it did in 2004.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Blimey Nutty, Hamilton was rubbish, in fact he''s gone better than any other city manager in my long time following NCFC, he actually made me fall asleep while watching his terminally dull and rubbish side try to play football. Can''t remember the game, thank goodness. But no one before or since has managed to be as bad. I think the only good thing we can say about him is he''s long gone.[/quote]

hahaha I was telling somebody the other day that I used to have a few pints and then fall asleep under Hamilton because the football was so bad.

THey didn''t believe me, but I did on more than one occasion.

However, I am sure that I would also of done during the past few years if I had endured as many games as your good self and many other fans Gazza.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

On the basis of what I have seen since Roeder went I think it would be madness for Gunn to remain as manager after tomorrow. I would have thought his position is now untenable.

If the board manage to somehow appoint the right manager and the team perform and do well the spotlight will leave them like it did in 2004. [/quote]

So you''re happy for the 5 board members to stay in charge?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I agree Gazza. Hamilton, Grant and Roeder will be remembered as three of the worst managers in our history. The point I was making was that as I remember it Hamilton was appointed first and then consulted for the other half of the "dream team". The names I remember were Bruce Rioch, Steve Bruce and Nigel Worthington. That wasn''t a bad shortlist as it goes. Whether we ended up with first, second or third choice I haven''t got a clue, Maybe Bigfeller knows.

In his solo year Hamilton brought a load of rubbish to the club, however there were a few gems if you look hard enough. Finally recruiting Worthy was his best and Paul McVeigh, Alex Notman was a decent sub and Giallanza could have been the best of all before his injury. As always I do try to dwell on the positives most people only mention DeWaard, Derveld, Brady, Hamilton, Walsh and Cottee.[;)]

But it would appear that Hamilton was more use than Stringer in guiding the boards managerial appointments.

[/quote]

You are forgetting Bryan Gunn though Nutty, whose statistical record is worse than any of those terrible 3 above.

Maybe this thread isn''t the appropriate place for this Nutty, but anyway.

Sure we need a football manager. We can agree on that , but who''s going to appoint one? How many is it now that Delia and her crew have appointed? Many successes there? Shall we just say not many.

Those who did have some success (Worthington) were undermined, underfunded and then when it went off the rails they left him there too long, due in part to the ridiculous contract clauses they constructed in the first place.

So, don''t have much faith in them getting it right there.

Doncaster to go, be a start, but that''s really only part of the problem. In essence they are out of their depth, have been failing for years and won''t seek new advice/investment. They say there''s none out there, yet other clubs have found investment, including most of those who finished above us.

A football man on the board for me is a number one priority. Why would a footballing man on the board interfere with the manager''s decisions anymore than the present board members?

Second is someone from a financial background, who will appoint a team to report to him/her. We don''t need another Doncaster thank you very much.

Most of all we need someone with real ideas/business background to set us on a proper strategy. Above all the new board members (and any that stay) MUST BE FULLY ACCOUNTABLE to the shareholders first, and secondly to supporters. No one person (or couple) must hold the majority interest, therefore preventing democratic decision making. As at present.

It''s not easy, Nutty, but it''s easier than carrying on with this hapless bunch who have all but destroyed our club. IF we, as fans let them carry on regardless we will be as guilty as them, and also I fear not have a club to support in a few years'' time.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You are forgetting Bryan Gunn though Nutty, whose statistical record is worse than any of those terrible 3 above.

[/quote]

No, I just look on him a a caretaker. If he is given the job next season then there''s every chance he will be right up there with those illustrious three.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

If the board manage to somehow appoint the right manager and the team perform and do well the spotlight will leave them like it did in 2004. [/quote]

[/quote]

OK Angel, I keep answering your questions it''s time I was Bamber Gascoine[8-|]

Which board members do you think need to be removed in order to affect the changes you really want to see? Honest answers only please.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]if tho NN.... Are you confident they will appoint someone that will re create the days of 04? Btw I think they got lucky with worthy.... But hey.... They had to get one right in 8 Inc gunn[/quote]

Our best chance then is that we get 2 from 9. Although the record is bad enough without counting Hunter and Duffy. That actually weakens your argument.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Maybe this thread isn''t the appropriate place for this Nutty, but anyway. Sure we need a football manager. We can agree on that , but who''s going to appoint one? How many is it now that Delia and her crew have appointed? Many successes there? Shall we just say not many. Those who did have some success (Worthington) were undermined, underfunded and then when it went off the rails they left him there too long, due in part to the ridiculous contract clauses they constructed in the first place. So, don''t have much faith in them getting it right there. Doncaster to go, be a start, but that''s really only part of the problem. In essence they are out of their depth, have been failing for years and won''t seek new advice/investment. They say there''s none out there, yet other clubs have found investment, including most of those who finished above us. A football man on the board for me is a number one priority. Why would a footballing man on the board interfere with the manager''s decisions anymore than the present board members? Second is someone from a financial background, who will appoint a team to report to him/her. We don''t need another Doncaster thank you very much. Most of all we need someone with real ideas/business background to set us on a proper strategy. Above all the new board members (and any that stay) MUST BE FULLY ACCOUNTABLE to the shareholders first, and secondly to supporters. No one person (or couple) must hold the majority interest, therefore preventing democratic decision making. As at present. It''s not easy, Nutty, but it''s easier than carrying on with this hapless bunch who have all but destroyed our club. IF we, as fans let them carry on regardless we will be as guilty as them, and also I fear not have a club to support in a few years'' time.[/quote]

Gazza, what makes you think they would be any more successful in selecting this football man for the board than they are at selecting the managers? Will we have to change him every season too?

I don''t necessarily think they should select anyone, but in the circumstances as they are at the moment we have no choice. I know it will be a big ask, but something has to change, and first it has to be their thinking. I am hoping that there will be new people appointed to the board - for me that''s absolutely essential.

They should, if they truly have the club''s best interests at heart, look at themselves and realise it''s a lot more than two mistakes they have made, either collectively, or more likely as a result of Delia''s whims and that majority shareholding hanging round all our necks like a noose.

There are several things we, fans and shareholders can do:

Immediately call an EGM - and press a vote of no confidence in the board, the upshot of this being someone with relevance and more importantly, someone to act independently, can be appointed to sort out the mess. Crucially this has to start at the top. The board have for too long relied on the fact that those that have control can''t be moved aside. We, as responsible shareholders and fans have to press them, come up with solutions and make them change their ways. Not saying it will be easy, but a hell of a lot easier if we do it, then leave them to carry on taking the team to even greater depths - and with their track record who wouldn''t bet against further relegation fights.

Fans to get together and put on a sustained campaign to change the thinking at the top of the club, call for those culpable to resign and for the rest to (as before) appoint some real skill at board level. Also to get interested parties to invest, there have already been some sound ideas echoed on this very forum.

Advertising for investment in the national press, and Blah''s excellent idea re the letter to Rick Parry. What must happen is a sustained campaign against further small mind (closed) thinking, and that includes keeping Bryan Gunn as manager. There are already plans in action to call another public meeting where all fans who can get there can have their say, show the club we, as fans, have solutions and are not prepared to be fobbed off with any more spin, flabby excuses or non action.

It won''t happen overnight Nutty, but we all have to start somewhere. It''s not good just going home and hoping for the best, that the current board will turn things around, because they won''t. IF they are allowed to carry on unopposed, we will be as guilty as them for allowing our great club to die. We are strong in number and strong in our love for the club.

Yeah, EGMs, adverts in the press, write to Rick Parry . . . anything to avoid going down to the ticket office and cancelling your ST.  It''s in your hands City fans.

Yes, no doubt some of us will cancel our Season tickets Cherub, but as I have said before, it will be a long time coming before Delia and Co force me out of Carrow Road. Why should I give up supporting my club because of them? I intend to stay and support the team (as bad as it may get) and continue to press for change from that position.

I admire your resolve, but we are all different. IF those of us who agree the board should go cancelled our season tickets would it drive Delia away? In all honesty do you think that would happen? Sadly there are still an awful lot of fans who go because of her and her celebrity status (believe me, I have had conversations with some of them).

For the rest of us, it''s time to find solutions and create a united front to counter the board and their policies and ultimately bad decisions. You may not think much of them, but hopefully we can together mount a campaign to press for changes that will enable you, and others to want to come back.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Yes, no doubt some of us will cancel our Season tickets Cherub, but as I have said before, it will be a long time coming before Delia and Co force me out of Carrow Road. Why should I give up supporting my club because of them? I intend to stay and support the team (as bad as it may get) and continue to press for change from that position. I admire your resolve, but we are all different. IF those of us who agree the board should go cancelled our season tickets would it drive Delia away? In all honesty do you think that would happen? Sadly there are still an awful lot of fans who go because of her and her celebrity status (believe me, I have had conversations with some of them). For the rest of us, it''s time to find solutions and create a united front to counter the board and their policies and ultimately bad decisions. You may not think much of them, but hopefully we can together mount a campaign to press for changes that will enable you, and others to want to come back.[/quote]

As previously posted, you don''t have to stop going because you haven''t got a season ticket - casual tickets do exist! 

It''s not that I don''t think much of the strategies proposed, they''re OK as far as they go.  But why isn''t NCISA including a season ticket boycott as one of those strategies?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which board members do you think need to be removed in order to affect the changes you really want to see? Honest answers only please.

[/quote]

Will seem like I''m taken the easy way out but I think Gazza answered that question  with her excellent post at 11.35pm.

[quote]As previously posted, you don''t have to stop going because you haven''t got a season ticket - casual tickets do exist! [/quote]If you bought a casual ticket for every game of next season, you''d end up giving the club about a third more money than a season ticket.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"][

[/quote]

Will seem like I''m taken the easy way out but I think Gazza answered that question  with her excellent post at 11.35pm.

[/quote]

But Gazza’s excellent post (just like they usually are) just say’s what you want to hear. In it she catalogues the mistakes made by Smith&Jones and then suggests solutions that leave them in place. That is my whole point about the fans having an agreed aim to unite behind. If you would really be happy with Doncaster’s head on a plate then fine. But is that what you really believe will make the difference?

The fans need to agree on what they hold Smith&Jones accountable for. People keep delving into the past and selecting bits to strengthen their case while other things that would weaken it are left to rot. Mike Walker was sacked after two 5-0 home wins, now while that’s technically correct he was also allowed to carry on after a run of games (including 5-0 defeats at Wolves and scum) that saw us staring relegation in the face. It’s no good excusing him through injuries and putting it down to bad luck but then saying after a 46 game season we are where we deserve to be for someone else. That type of criticism is about as consistent as Durso’s penalty decisions. We didn’t just have one lucky season in their tenure either. That’s another myth. We never finished below 9th in this division for 5 consecutive seasons. The five seasons Worthy was manager in fact. (But I really really really really need to get over that). Most posters on here will tell you it was a mistake to hold on to Worthy as long as they did. I believe they should have backed him more in the summer of 2006 because I believe he was our best chance of success at that time. Back in 2005 NCISA issued a statement calling for the manager to be sacked. When issuing that statement Roy Blower took great pains to state that fans shouldn’t turn their attentions to Smith&Jones “That would be a sad day for the football club because we will always be indebted to them.”
Now you probably don’t think all this is relevant but I believe it is. Because in order for the fans to unite we have to agree not just on what our aims are but also on what we hold Smith&Jones responsible for. The decisions the board made since having to appoint Worthingtons successor are what I hold them accountable for but that’s the easy part. The hard part is what should our aims be? I still don’t have a plan for that Angel.

It may well be what CA wants to hear Nutty, and I don''t pretend to have any answers, they are my opinions. What we really need is help - at least to encourage (or force, you choose the strength of feeling) the board to change its ways.

We have to start by exploding some of the many myths which have grown up over time at NCFC. No one wants to invest. Okay, so listen to the Radio Heart interview on another post today regarding a possible investment. It may never have got beyond preliminary talks, but does expose the fact that there was an approach, something the club has denied! How does the club know who or what may be suitable if it continues with its narrow and practically impossible criteria for anyone to fit?

Personally to start with I would be happy to have Delia and Michael stay on, at least in some capacity, but only if they are willing to implement real change and get in some additional help/investment to facilitate that change.

Keeping Gunn on in the manager''s role is just keeping on with the same old, same old. It would be a backward step and send out the wrong message entirely that they have learnt precisely NOTHING from the last 12 years or so.

The previous managers. Mike Walker, sacked in a disgraceful way and made me, yes mild mannered old me walk away from the club for over a year. To date they have done nothing as bad to make me repeat that. I hope they don''t. Why did they sack him Nutty, it wasn''t soley based on results was it. It was because he disagreed with Delia trying to implement new regimes at Colney (fitness science coaches)..... I choose to believe Mr Walker over Delia I am afraid in this instance.

We can indeed all pick holes and add our own ammunition to each others posts. You say Worthy wasn''t backed, I agree, what do you think about Rioch? Similar story I think. Again Hamilton''s tenure was marked by disastrous transfers, tactics etc, yet it took too long to get rid of him. It all adds up to gross incompetence from above on a large scale.

So yes, ultimately I would like Delia to go, but at the moment we probably have to concede she has to stay, but change her thinking, release control over the boardroom and appoint people who are fit for purpose.

Gazza, we won''t get anywhere taking bits of the past in isolation to make a case. My point was that I felt we should start at a point where we could all agree. That point is surely from the decision to appoint Peter Grant onwards. Arguing over the distant past and selecting bits to represent a particular point of view is pointless. However it came about the decisions made between 1998 and 2001 got the club on course for 5 years of relative success. the decisions after the summer of 2006 took us down to league one.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]It may well be what CA wants to hear Nutty, and I don''t pretend to have any answers, they are my opinions. What we really need is help - at least to encourage (or force, you choose the strength of feeling) the board to change its ways. We have to start by exploding some of the many myths which have grown up over time at NCFC. No one wants to invest. Okay, so listen to the Radio Heart interview on another post today regarding a possible investment. It may never have got beyond preliminary talks, but does expose the fact that there was an approach, something the club has denied! How does the club know who or what may be suitable if it continues with its narrow and practically impossible criteria for anyone to fit? Personally to start with I would be happy to have Delia and Michael stay on, at least in some capacity, but only if they are willing to implement real change and get in some additional help/investment to facilitate that change. Keeping Gunn on in the manager''s role is just keeping on with the same old, same old. It would be a backward step and send out the wrong message entirely that they have learnt precisely NOTHING from the last 12 years or so. The previous managers. Mike Walker, sacked in a disgraceful way and made me, yes mild mannered old me walk away from the club for over a year. To date they have done nothing as bad to make me repeat that. I hope they don''t. Why did they sack him Nutty, it wasn''t soley based on results was it. It was because he disagreed with Delia trying to implement new regimes at Colney (fitness science coaches)..... I choose to believe Mr Walker over Delia I am afraid in this instance. We can indeed all pick holes and add our own ammunition to each others posts. You say Worthy wasn''t backed, I agree, what do you think about Rioch? Similar story I think. Again Hamilton''s tenure was marked by disastrous transfers, tactics etc, yet it took too long to get rid of him. It all adds up to gross incompetence from above on a large scale. So yes, ultimately I would like Delia to go, but at the moment we probably have to concede she has to stay, but change her thinking, release control over the boardroom and appoint people who are fit for purpose.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of that, as usual, GazzaTG.

The problem as I see it, is that Delia will not, does not, want to relinquish her hold on her club. Yes I do think it is Delia and not the combined two.

My opinion is that MWJ would probably walk away, perhaps not quite so stubborn.

As Nutty says, lets concentrate on the last 4 years of utter failure that alone gives enough ammunition to state "not fit for purpose" and IF some of the rumours that now abound about other financial approaches being summarily rejected out of hand, then lets just say the truth has been used economically.

People talk of scape goats, but in every walk of life you are judged by your ability or lack of. Doncaster has been happy to be the mouthpiece for them and paid accordingly, failure should now have just results.

Munby will be ,unfaily in my view, hung out to dry. Of all the board on Sunday he looked the most angry and upset.

In the end whatever anyone thinks the club and therefore the clubs decisions come back to the two holding the majority shares.The buck can''t be passed any further, it is they that must now face realism and the true fans and come up with truthfull answers and plans.

Are you holding your breath

Butler, I agree that Munby will be the proffered sacrifice, and probably slightly harshly but only slightly.  At the end of the day the once proud marketeer of Colmans has become a watered down yes man and that is not good for any Club.

I disagree on stubbornness as MWJ has always come across as very stubborn and also very possessive of control.  In my previous discussions over widenning the shareholder base he is very firm in the opinion that someone has to have control and that cannot be shared.  It remains my view that this is the stumbling block in most of the possible investment situations.

My ideal remains for them to stay in a supporting role to a new regime but given his stance I suspect that cannot be.  Hence my new ideal is for them to sell to a consortium that includes local businessmen suplemented by national/international funds.

With Gazza I can only wait with anticipation for a Doncasterless day, and I hope that someone with lower league experience replaces him not a Rick Parry with fancy ideas that we cannot afford.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]As previously posted, you don''t have to stop going because you haven''t got a season ticket - casual tickets do exist! [/quote]

If you bought a casual ticket for every game of next season, you''d end up giving the club about a third more money than a season ticket.
[/quote]

You''re missing the point completely.

The point is not to deprive the club of money altogether but to make them work for it.  Getting the ST money in advance means they don''t have to try and improve the quality of the product in order to get bums on seats.  It means they can take the fans for granted.

Personally I would have no objection to paying a third more if I could be confident that the board is committed to ensuring that the club punches its weight.  All the evidence suggests that they are not. 

But some people just can''t afford to pay a third more for tickets Mystic Meg

Why did you change your name?? [:)]