Sign in to follow this  
Kathy

NCISA press statement regarding the current situation at the football club

[quote user="Beighton"]No butler, this is not a ''start''. This is counter-productive. If you can''t see that then we really are all screwed.[/quote]

And again, I agree. The Butler: this isn''t about chiding Tilly or NCISA just for the sake of it. It''s about our deep alarm at the incredible lack of sophistication and expertise within NCISA this statement suggests: every bit as much as within the NCFC boardroom, I''m afraid.

Any campaign for change needs to be media savvy, firm yet reasonable, detailed in what is required, and ideally, to be run by people who are professional in their approach. All press releases need to be carefully thought through and proof read over and over again: anything which is said reflects on the committee and the entire membership. What I think NCISA should be doing instead is courting and making friends within the media, forging links within the business community in order to try and find a buyer, doing its damndest to seek out individuals like the Turners, Barry Skipper, Gordon Bennett or Martin Armstrong to ask them their thoughts on how the club is run, looking for figureheads associated with the club to help push for real change (one example which springs to mind: Mike Walker), and above all, thinking carefully before it acts or says anything. This statement demonstrates none of that whatever - and as I mentioned above, is so vague that it plays right into the board''s hands.

I say this not in order to attack Kathy, Tilly or anyone associated with the committee; it''s more a case of tough love on my part. Just as the club urgently needs to sharpen up its act, so too does NCISA: and it''s absolutely paramount that it does, for all our sakes. I''d be more than willing to help, incidentally - but when I see statements as amateurish as this, it worries the heck out of me.

It''s worked !

Already plenty of attention let''s hope it is printed in it''s full glory so that we get six weeks of letters to the editor pointing out how it should have been written!

Maybe our own new comedy quiz - Have I Got Press Statements for You? with Cam as the new Angus Deayton.

Never underestimate free publicity.

... and also it is not succint (it is not a compact precise expression without wasted words)

It does not make a clear, quickly read point.

Does it leave the reader "no doubt as to the feelings behind the statement"? I''m not convinced.

Granted, no crimes have been committed and no political points made.

BUT, if your aim was to "to say where NCISA felt fans views were.." then this is far short of the mark.

Steve

Spot on.  And if people can''t see it then they are as blinf to that as they were to the demise of the club for the past four seasons.In this PR-concious, soundbite-driven media world, a press statement needs to be sharp, instantly catchy, professionally written and make key points.I have nothing against people in the NCISA, I do have issue with your "leader" who alienates more people than he embraces - which is madness for a football fans group, so let me clear that up.The point is that despite the big drum roll from Captain Italics, the opportunity has been lost in amateurish, committee-based nonsense.If you were Neil Doncaster, would you flush with anger and embarrassment at the power of the statement and fear its circulation to a wider audience? [quote user="thebigfeller"]

[quote user="Beighton"]No butler, this is not a ''start''. This is counter-productive. If you can''t see that then we really are all screwed.[/quote]

And again, I agree. The Butler: this isn''t about chiding Tilly or NCISA just for the sake of it. It''s about our deep alarm at the incredible lack of sophistication and expertise within NCISA this statement suggests: every bit as much as within the NCFC boardroom, I''m afraid.

Any campaign for change needs to be media savvy, firm yet reasonable, detailed in what is required, and ideally, to be run by people who are professional in their approach. All press releases need to be carefully thought through and proof read over and over again: anything which is said reflects on the committee and the entire membership. What I think NCISA should be doing instead is courting and making friends within the media, forging links within the business community in order to try and find a buyer, doing its damndest to seek out individuals like the Turners, Barry Skipper, Gordon Bennett or Martin Armstrong to ask them their thoughts on how the club is run, looking for figureheads associated with the club to help push for real change (one example which springs to mind: Mike Walker), and above all, thinking carefully before it acts or says anything. This statement demonstrates none of that whatever - and as I mentioned above, is so vague that it plays right into the board''s hands.

I say this not in order to attack Kathy, Tilly or anyone associated with the committee; it''s more a case of tough love on my part. Just as the club urgently needs to sharpen up its act, so too does NCISA: and it''s absolutely paramount that it does, for all our sakes. I''d be more than willing to help, incidentally - but when I see statements as amateurish as this, it worries the heck out of me.

[/quote]

[quote user="The Butler"]

I think as  a first warning shot of what could be a long and difficult battle it fits the bill.

You do not back someone into a corner at the first point of negotiation.

As DS/MWJ are majority shareholders then negotiation is what it has to be.

You must allow room for them to make an honourable and strategic withdrawl.

Making demands and trying initialy to force the issue can lead to further entrenchment. Not good for either side.

[/quote]

well said

[quote user="Beighton"]

:o)  - this is genius!!!

Please feel free to ''stand up'' - but when you do, avoid issuing statements written by primary school children.

The really sad thing is, you probably think people are just being ''picky''. You''re wrong. THAT statement is a cast-iron embarrassment, a real shocker and any one who played ANY role in that nonsense, shouldn''t be allowed near a statement every again.

[/quote]Whilst I have acknowledged that the statement is not what I would have hoped for, I do find your critiscism rather harsh. Considering you haven''t been posting long on here, it could be construed that you are merely trying to cause trouble - a notion that could easily be quashed by helping the cause and throwing your expertise in the direction of NCISA.

Indeed. :o) and I can tell you are both very excited and quite new to this too.

Statement is repeated in local media, where editors are desperate to hoover up any comment whoever it comes from. Note the number of messageboard posts from common or garden punters that have found their way in to the papers of late.

But what follows? What is the real impact? The reinforcement of NCISA as amateurish and without savvy. The bigfeller has it absolutely bang on.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

[quote user="paul ncfc"]Hopefully everything will change for the better as a result of tomorrows meeting, although we all suspect it will not.
IMO further statements should follow to create the appropriate pressure when we know what direction the board are taking.
[/quote]

I agree, the Board should be fully aware of what the majority of City fans want and tomorrow they have the chance to respond in the necessary manner to prevent furuther actions being taken by fans. If the Board fail to do so then NCISA should follow with further statements to provoke a bigger responce from fans to put yet more pressure on the people accountable for why the club is where it is. I just hope that all City fans can now back NCISA to help bring about the right changes at the club,

[/quote]

well said.

Don''t just sit on the sideline, join NCISA!

[quote user="thebigfeller"]

[/quote]

I agree with much in what you have to say, but and this is the big but, the committe members are not "full time" employees of NCISA and have other work and responsabilities.

To carry out what you describe would be ideal but demand more time than I presume that they can devote to all the research and work neccessary. I am sure that if the subs could reach the amount, then a full time press officer/researcher would be ideal.

I sympathise with what they have tried to do ahead of tomorrows meeting, and yes it has got "free press" tarted slightly by the reporter involved so in it''s way has worked.

More detailed statements can follow, when the outcome of the board meeting is known.

That''s the time that ALL the details and real pressure will need to be applied and I am sure that Kathy/Tilly etc will look to gain help from every wothwhile source available.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Don''t just sit on the sideline, join NCISA!

[/quote]

No.

Thanks for your earlier comment Pastry (?)Just for info I try to have as little to do with Mr Tilson as possible. It''s for that precise reason that I let my NCISA membership lapse and haven''t even considered renewing despite these trying times when really it would be in the long term interests of the club for the fanbase to be more united.My only thought when the ''trailer'' for this statement appeared this morning was that it was rushed out in light of the letter from the Associates which got a nice amount of propoganda in the EDP today. NCISA it seems didn''t want to be forgotten nor left behind.Just my opinion obviously but we all know there are NCFC Board meetings planned this week; the transfer window doesn''t open till June and there would have been no harm at all in holding back on issuing a statement until after the promised NCISA meeting was over - at which a wider cross-section of views could have been sought and more deliberation put into the result.

"Whilst I have acknowledged that the statement is not what I would have hoped for, I do find your critiscism rather harsh. Considering you haven''t been posting long on here, it could be construed that you are merely trying to cause trouble - a notion that could easily be quashed by helping the cause and throwing your expertise in the direction of NCISA. "

Why couldn''t the statement have been written this well?

Point taken though and I would love to get involved in one way or another.

Hmm. I just tried to join NCISA, go to the website and there''s no online payment system, hit the link to mail Clare and my mail is returned undelivered. I realise people do the work on a voluntary basis, but it really could do with becoming a bit more professional IMO. This is not having a go, but the statement feels a little similar.

“NCISA demands that the board act quickly and decisively, and to this end, changes of personnel must take place within the boardroom.”

I can''t see Munby and Doncaster sacking themeselves ! Let''s hope that the owners act quickly and decisevely.

In the interests of being helpful I''ve re-written the statement.  I think the "problem" with it is that the salient points tend to come after descriptions.  If you put your points first, and get rid of some of the flowery wording it becomes punchier :Norwich City Independent Supporters Association has no faith or confidence in the current make up of the boardroom to make the correct decisions to get our club back to its rightful place in the football world.The prolonged decline of Norwich City Football Club must be arrested.  Mistakes made in recent years by the custodians of the club have been repetitive, disastrous, and leave the club in crisis, as we enter next season in League 1. NCISA demands that the board acts quickly and decisively.  Changes of personnel must take place within the boardroom.  While we accept that those in control have acted with good intent, they have been responsible for mistakes which cannot and must not continue.

I agree with much in what you have to say, but and this is the big but, the committe members are not "full time" employees of NCISA and have other work and responsabilities.

To carry out what you describe would be ideal but demand more time than I presume that they can devote to all the research and work neccessary. I am sure that if the subs could reach the amount, then a full time press officer/researcher would be ideal.

I sympathise with what they have tried to do ahead of tomorrows meeting, and yes it has got "free press" tarted slightly by the reporter involved so in it''s way has worked.

More detailed statements can follow, when the outcome of the board meeting is known.

That''s the time that ALL the details and real pressure will need to be applied and I am sure that Kathy/Tilly etc will look to gain help from every wothwhile source available.

[/quote]

I hope you''re right - especially in what you say in your last sentence. In the end though, it may come down to a few of us going beyond the call of duty and devoting time and effort to getting something organised ourselves. I''m loathe to act without NCISA''s blessing, because I think further dividing fans'' groups can only be bad news; equally, I suspect what this calls for is some sort of pressure group, elected or otherwise, which does the things I mentioned above, and involves people of real expertise. Purely from reading this board, the sort of people I think would be suitable are you, Beighton, Pastry, Andy Larkin, gazzathegreat and others too.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]In the interests of being helpful I''ve re-written the statement.  I think the "problem" with it is that the salient points tend to come after descriptions.  If you put your points first, and get rid of some of the flowery wording it becomes punchier :

Norwich City Independent Supporters Association has no faith or confidence in the current make up of the boardroom to make the correct decisions to get our club back to its rightful place in the football world.

The prolonged decline of Norwich City Football Club must be arrested.  Mistakes made in recent years by the custodians of the club have been repetitive, disastrous, and leave the club in crisis, as we enter next season in League 1.

NCISA demands that the owners act quickly and decisively.  Doncaster must be sacked and other changes personnel must take place within the boardroom.  While we accept that those in control have acted with good intent, they have been responsible for mistakes which cannot and must not continue.
[/quote]

Yes, much better......... just made a couple of changes.

[quote user="SPat"]Hmm. I just tried to join NCISA, go to the website and there''s no online payment system, hit the link to mail Clare and my mail is returned undelivered. I realise people do the work on a voluntary basis, but it really could do with becoming a bit more professional IMO. This is not having a go, but the statement feels a little similar.
[/quote]

SPat,

There is no online payment system as this is not felt appropriate at this time for £2 subscriptions that are often paid over at forums, or the AGM.

If you are involved in on-line systems you will know that Paypal will take their cut so we would rather not use it at the moment.  I''m sure this will change as time goes on.

There isn''t a link to Clare.  There is a large button on the front opage that takes you to where a simple membership form is on a Word document download with Clare''s address to send it, or her email address for any queries.

Alternatively the email button on the front page to Kathy works.

I''m not sure what operating system you are using but all these buttons work on Internet Explorer 45,6 and 7 and on Opera.  As for others no one else has reported a problem so let me know if you have a problem and it will be fixed.

[quote user="thebigfeller"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

I hope you''re right - especially in what you say in your last sentence. In the end though, it may come down to a few of us going beyond the call of duty and devoting time and effort to getting something organised ourselves. I''m loathe to act without NCISA''s blessing, because I think further dividing fans'' groups can only be bad news; equally, I suspect what this calls for is some sort of pressure group, elected or otherwise, which does the things I mentioned above, and involves people of real expertise. Purely from reading this board, the sort of people I think would be suitable are you, Beighton, Pastry, Andy Larkin, gazzathegreat and others too.

[/quote]

Now you are talking., but under NCISA banner. If not you will spend more time on new constitutions than fighting the club[:D]

In the nicest possible way - did James from The Apprentice put this statement together?.

James McQuillan

Now you are talking., but under NCISA banner. If not you will spend more time on new constitutions than fighting the club[:D]

[/quote]

Completely agree. My thoughts turn idly to the People''s Front of Judea... [:D]

[quote user="ricky knight"]statement two years too late imo, took us to go down down to div3 before they open their gobs.[/quote]

I''ve been going on about the clubs fixation with spending money on tangible fixed assets and the lack of balance in the squad for some time now. Where were you two years ago?

This is ridiculous.

At a time when we need to be working together as fans we start talking about splinter groups because the one organised supporters body says much of what people agree with but not quite in the way they''d like to say it.

Pathetic. This kind of idiotic childish squabbling is garbage. I''m not even a member of NCISA but they are the supporters body and those who are on the committee and constructed this have taken the time over the years to attend meetings and become democratically elected by their peers. And now some berk on a message board who has invested no time than it takes to spit out a quick e-mail wants a splinter group all of his very own and thinks you all should join.

I despair.

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

This is ridiculous.

At a time when we need to be working together as fans we start talking about splinter groups because the one organised supporters body says much of what people agree with but not quite in the way they''d like to say it.

Pathetic. This kind of idiotic childish squabbling is garbage. I''m not even a member of NCISA but they are the supporters body and those who are on the committee and constructed this have taken the time over the years to attend meetings and become democratically elected by their peers. And now some berk on a message board who has invested no time than it takes to spit out a quick e-mail wants a splinter group all of his very own and thinks you all should join.

I despair.

[/quote]

Long live ISANC [;)]

Like it or not the NCISA represents our best hope of affecting change and yes the statement leaves a lot to be desired, actions will always speak louder than words, NCISA members resigning from the SCG would be a start in my opinion. There is an irony that a group that dithered so much over its survey of fans feelings and previous statements now demands decisive change in others.

The simple truth is that without the NCISA no other coherant movement has come forward to organise protests, public meetings, release statements, in the absence of a NCISA organised movement the best we as a set of fans have mustered is a few kids outside the city stand. Beyond the words or the grammar of this press release there is an important change of stance from the NCISA which should be seen for what is it, a starting point, and a welcome change of position. Like the NCISA or not, like the commitee or not they represent our best hope for a coherant and organised movement for change, perhaps now is the time to unite behind a common cause, I fear it may be our last chance.

Get over yourself.  All that is asked for is a supporters committee who, maybe, could proof-read their statements...they are representing us, you know...

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

This is ridiculous.

I despair.

[/quote]

No - I want to work with and through NCISA. But when I see a statement like this, I worry. This isn''t about any individual: it''s about the club and only that, and how best we go about creating change for the good of everyone. Perhaps that''ll simply be via NCISA, and I very much hope it is; but perhaps it won''t be. Debating all this is a good thing - and just because people disagree with the form or points made by the statement, it doesn''t mean we''re divided or hopeless.

There''s a reason many of us haven''t got involved with NCISA up until this point. It''s because they''re frequently regarded as toothless. NCISA need to disprove this, and to demonstrate expertise and that they know what they''re doing. I looked forward to this statement, but was deeply disappointed and alarmed by what it suggested: to my mind, it hasn''t dispelled the view many hold of the organisation at all. Which is a huge shame, and an opportunity missed, as others have said.