Sign in to follow this  
HookNortonCanary

Im gonna put it out there - i wont mind if Gunn stays on

I honestly think the man could do a job. He played the transfer market a lot better than Roeder (and he only had 9 days or so).

"Im in constant contact with Darren Huckerby" - Surely i bonus, if any other manager came in, they might not want him.

as he said, "I failed this mission" he did - but, i think if he is appointed we all get behind him, he''s still Gunny and he deserves our respect and support if appointed. Its taken me till this morning to finally get to grips with what has been going on, and this is my views - feel free to bitch about them.

[quote user="HookNortonCanary"]

I honestly think the man could do a job. He played the transfer market a lot better than Roeder (and he only had 9 days or so).

"Im in constant contact with Darren Huckerby" - Surely i bonus, if any other manager came in, they might not want him.

as he said, "I failed this mission" he did - but, i think if he is appointed we all get behind him, he''s still Gunny and he deserves our respect and support if appointed. Its taken me till this morning to finally get to grips with what has been going on, and this is my views - feel free to bitch about them.

[/quote]

No way, Sorry should not have got the job in the first place, yellow blood or not.

We need a ''Paul Ince'' of the football world and NOW!

[quote user="HookNortonCanary"]

[/quote]Would prefer someone else but would obviously back him if he got the job. Unlike GR who I couldn''t stand, he has my respect as a person and would get my support.

Unfortunately this is an argument that is going to split fans opinions - personally I think that he should be given at least one full season with his team (freebies or not) to see what he can do - he has had to pick up the pieces of Grant and Roeder who lets face it will not go down in the History books as Norwich greats.  He was always up against it and although it has not come off for him in these last 17 games or so I believe that it will come good if given the chance.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="First Wizard"]Embrase relegation again then.[/quote]

Your arguments are appalling. Why should anyone take you seriously? [:|]
[/quote]

Thats up to them Lord..............but who said Gunn would get the job until the end of the season?  who said in August we''re going down? hmm? oh yes........................me![:P]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="First Wizard"]Embrase relegation again then.[/quote]Your arguments are appalling. Why should anyone take you seriously? [:|][/quote]

Thats up to them Lord..............but who said Gunn would get the job until the end of the season?  who said in August we''re going down? hmm? oh yes........................me![:P]

[/quote]Give yourself a big pat on the back then, Wiz. That doesn''t change the fact that your arguments don''t adequately support your views. [Y]

I don''t mind if 2 legends Gunn stays on. Just not as manager. Back to making sandwiches for the golfers me thinks.

I won''t mind if he stays on as long as he doesn''t pick the team. Find him some kind of director of football role so that we can all still sing his song but surely he got too much wrong to be given a go next season. If he gets the job I would love to be proved wrong, but his team selection on Sunday beggared belief.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="First Wizard"]Embrase relegation again then.[/quote]Your arguments are appalling. Why should anyone take you seriously? [:|][/quote]

[/quote]Ah "I told you so"Go back to class Wiz.

Terrytibbs, Wiz etc... why do you think a new manager will make a difference? He''ll have zero funds (even less actually - what with getting rid of gunn and his staff and getting his own in form other clubs) Ince went for the job, set it up for him and another to take the job, only for the other to turn round and say no way, Ince is not right for Norwich... Gunn is. - This is 100% the truth. I mentioned this before and like before i can''t say more than that. People talk of Robins... His exp is a full season in charge... Gunn needs this too... It would have been a miricle if Gunn saved us... it would have been the same if any manager came in and got us out of the dire mess we were in. The players Gunn had to lead into battle are not fit to lick any of our shoes, signing loan players wasn''t going to do it but in the time he had it was the only choice he had. the one signing Gunn actually made looks good... Cody. I fully back Gunn and hope the board do aswell... Let me put this to you... If someone comes in and takes over the board... won''t they get a new manager in? It''s quite possible. It makes sense to keep GUnn in, he knows the bad apples, he knows the good... he also knows the youth players and who is out there who can come in and be a leader (through his job as head of recruitment).Like the Worthington situation... so many of you on here... wiz you included, smudger etc as well... you all wanted worthless out... he was terrible right? You got your wish... then in came Grant... Roeder... both a lot worse... all of a sudden Worthless looked more Worthy. Same applies here... Gunn should be given ONE season. IF he fails, i have no doubt he''d step aside. Would you trust our board to pick the right manager anyway? I wouldn''t. Gunn''s the man for the job. Give him one full season.

I cannot believe that anyone is seriously advocating that Gunny should stay in the job.

His record is

five wins from 19 games.

took a side from 19th in the table into the bottom three.

Failed to win any of his first six games in charge, plunging the club into worse trouble than it was when Roeder left.

Those are facts. In addition:

His team selections ranged from poor to downright bizarre. Moving Gow from second striker to the wing was ridiculous. Playing Carney at all. Moving Shackell to left back in our most crucial game of the season.

Utter inability to change the game either at half time or with substitutions. In particular, Reading and Ipswich destroyed us after half-time, suggesting that their managers had read the game better than Gunny.

If a team put in the Charlton performance under any other manager, it would be roundly agreed that he had ''lost the dressing room''. The players absolutely need to take their share of the blame, but if you are 0-3 down after 30 mins to the worst team in the league, that reflects appallingly on the manager.

I love Gunny and wish that he had not been put in this position. But I simply can''t understand why anyone thinks that he has done enough to deserve the job permanently.

The way some people are talking makes it sound as though he took over a team adrift at the bottom of the table, and that it was some sort of achievement to still be in with a shout on the last day.

The board are far more to blame than Gunn, but I remain firmly of the view that Boothroyd would have kept us up with something to spare.

Gunn is a well-meaning amateur out of his depth. If we are satisfied with that then we deserve to be in League One, and that might only be the start.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

I cannot believe that anyone is seriously advocating that Gunny should stay in the job.

His record is

five wins from 19 games.

took a side from 19th in the table into the bottom three.

Failed to win any of his first six games in charge, plunging the club into worse trouble than it was when Roeder left.

Those are facts. In addition:

His team selections ranged from poor to downright bizarre. Moving Gow from second striker to the wing was ridiculous. Playing Carney at all. Moving Shackell to left back in our most crucial game of the season.

Utter inability to change the game either at half time or with substitutions. In particular, Reading and Ipswich destroyed us after half-time, suggesting that their managers had read the game better than Gunny.

If a team put in the Charlton performance under any other manager, it would be roundly agreed that he had ''lost the dressing room''. The players absolutely need to take their share of the blame, but if you are 0-3 down after 30 mins to the worst team in the league, that reflects appallingly on the manager.

I love Gunny and wish that he had not been put in this position. But I simply can''t understand why anyone thinks that he has done enough to deserve the job permanently.

The way some people are talking makes it sound as though he took over a team adrift at the bottom of the table, and that it was some sort of achievement to still be in with a shout on the last day.

The board are far more to blame than Gunn, but I remain firmly of the view that Boothroyd would have kept us up with something to spare.

Gunn is a well-meaning amateur out of his depth. If we are satisfied with that then we deserve to be in League One, and that might only be the start.

[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts. Love the guy but 5 defeats from the last 6 and a no show spanking for a must win against the worst team in the division is appalling. If it were a Jim Duffy, Mick Wadsworth caretaker he''d have been out on his ear long ago. Bryan has had a go (and 19 games is a decent time for an experiment) and it hasn''t worked. We need to maneuveur him out with dignity and thanks for his efforts which unfortunately have not been good enough. We need a proven L1 manager.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I won''t mind if he stays on as long as he doesn''t pick the team. Find him some kind of director of football role so that we can all still sing his song but surely he got too much wrong to be given a go next season. If he gets the job I would love to be proved wrong, but his team selection on Sunday beggared belief.

[/quote] Hes not after a director of football role though is he , he wants the ego boasting managers job , and what half decent manager would take the job if they had to run everything by a complete novice like Gunn .

That wasn''t my point, as I suspect you know. My point was that while the board are chiefly to blame, Gunn has failed in his job and cannot be allowed to continue. Boothroyd may not want to come now, but surely Robins would. We need the best manager that we can possibly get, and I can''t see a single reason why Gunn would be that man.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Hes not after a director of football role though is he , he wants the ego boasting managers job , and what half decent manager would take the job if they had to run everything by a complete novice like Gunn .
[/quote]

My comment about the director of football role was a bit tongue in cheek but it would be good to recognise that he did some things well. Had we have had Lee, McDonald, Mooney and Gow all season we may well have survived you know. But then Grant and Roeder did some things well too. But if you put the three together you wouldn''t get one as good as Worthy! So yes, we have to ultimately blame the people who select the manager but how do they select the right one?

[quote user="The Chirp"]

. the one signing Gunn actually made looks good... Cody.

[/quote]you''re talking rubbish. Gunn has had a hand in over 50% of our current squad. Do your homework.OtsemoborDohertyLeijer, - Gunn SignedShackell , - Gunn SignedSmith , - Gunn introduced to first team footballRussellClinganLappin ,- Gunn re-introduced to first team footballLee , - Gunn SignedMooney  - Gunn SignedCureton, - Gunn got back from BarnsleyCarney, - Gunn SignedGow, - Gunn SignedMcDonald - Gunn Signed

...the reason people say we might need a new manager and it''ll make a difference is that............................................our present manager isn''t a football manager.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Hes not after a director of football role though is he , he wants the ego boasting managers job , and what half decent manager would take the job if they had to run everything by a complete novice like Gunn .[/quote]

My comment about the director of football role was a bit tongue in cheek but it would be good to recognise that he did some things well. Had we have had Lee, McDonald, Mooney and Gow all season we may well have survived you know. But then Grant and Roeder did some things well too. But if you put the three together you wouldn''t get one as good as Worthy! So yes, we have to ultimately blame the people who select the manager but how do they select the right one?

[/quote] Well i wasnt a massive Worthy fan but i will give you that hes head and shoulders above anything we have had since . Would be nice to know just who has applied in the past , i mean if we really did turn Ince and Boothroyd down in favor of Gunn it borders on the criminal .

Somebody with experience in league one would be best for me. Gun was Cheif Scout for christ sake during Roeders employment.

I can think of a lot worse than re-appointing Gunny. What sort of manager are we going to get to run a club with no money to buy players, a very small squad that has needed so many loan players and relegation after missing it narrowly for the past two years? We would be likely to recruit someone who has failed elsewhere. No-one of any record will come on the basis of our past reputation.There should be enough footballing nous within the three plus Gunny. I would fancy Gunny to find some good players from the lower divisions and beyond. I think that he did very well considering that the transfer window was more than half over when he was appointed.

The only hesitation for me would be the combined managerial inability to motivate the squad. For a time the defence did seem to have tightened, with the arrival of Shackle, but I am afraid that midfield and full-back frailties were too much to overcome.Give him a one year contract, and a little money, and see what they can produce!

[quote user="Salopian"]I can think of a lot worse than re-appointing Gunny. What sort of manager are we going to get to run a club with no money to buy players, a very small squad that has needed so many loan players and relegation after missing it narrowly for the past two years? We would be likely to recruit someone who has failed elsewhere. No-one of any record will come on the basis of our past reputation.There should be enough footballing nous within the three plus Gunny. I would fancy Gunny to find some good players from the lower divisions and beyond. I think that he did very well considering that the transfer window was more than half over when he was appointed.

The only hesitation for me would be the combined managerial inability to motivate the squad. For a time the defence did seem to have tightened, with the arrival of Shackle, but I am afraid that midfield and full-back frailties were too much to overcome.Give him a one year contract, and a little money, and see what they can produce![/quote] Give him a one year contract and thats next season written off , we need a manager Gunn has proved he cannot do the job so why on gods earth should he get it . Sorry we need a Tilson , Robins , Boothroyd in fact anybody who can manage a football team , Gunns teams had as many no shows as Grant and Roeders. If he must be found a job let him go back to hospitality side of things , just dont let him anywhere near the team.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Well i wasnt a massive Worthy fan but i will give you that hes head and shoulders above anything we have had since . Would be nice to know just who has applied in the past , i mean if we really did turn Ince and Boothroyd down in favor of Gunn it borders on the criminal .
[/quote]

My view on the appointment of football managers is that you have to get lucky. I have no doubt that to a certain extent our board got lucky with how the appointment of Worthy worked out. Football knowledge on the board doesn''t really help. After all Dave Stringer was used to help select Grant and Roeder, not sure about Gunny though. Mandaric made a right pigs ear of practically every appointment at every club apart from Redknapp. Manchester United messed up for 25 years between Sir Matt and Sir Alex. This does not excuse our boards mistakes though. I believe they need to be clear what they are looking for not just interview and pick who they think is best. They need to be clear in the qualities required to get a team out of League One. And if they don''t know they need to find out.

Get Gunn back to selling ice creams or raffle tickets or whatever it was he was doing before. He''s no better a caretaker boss than Jim Duffy was.

Totally aggree, Gunn should be given a chance, It''d be a travesty if he was made a scapegoat for others'' mistakes. his ability to recruit Butterworth and Crook shows his acumen- Butterworth has the highest level of coaching ability and qualifications and with the creativity and excellence of Crook this combination provides an exciting new dawn for the club. He was willing to take on the trail of destruction and dessimation left by Roeder, appointed days before the transfer deadline with no money to spend...who else was queing up under these circumstances?  Roeder left the players broken and whipped and it takes time to turn things around. They have shown their love and commitment to the club, the least they deserve is to be given the opportunity to put their collective expertise into practice. The fact that we were still in with, albeit a whisker of a chance, of survival right to the last match of the season shows that, given a clean slate, they have the capacity to take this club back to where it belongs. Loan players by and large haven’t worked. Given Gunn’s brief track record of pulling in McDonald, Smith, Shacks and Lee who have shown passion for City then what a prospect to have a whole team of players with the qualities Gunn has identified in them. Appointing a manager from lower leagues would be a big mistake and smacks more of the lack of ambition the board have been accused of.