Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

According to my mate at the fans forum

Quite a few fans spoke who were in favour of giving Gunn a chance. He estimates it was 50/50 in terms of those in favour and those against. Those in favour were largely due to him being a good bloke and Mr Norwich.

Frankly I am staggered!

I hate this good bloke, Mr Norwich City stuff.I''m sure there are a lot of good blokes that love Norwich City out there too. Doesn''t mean they''re good football managers.

un bloody real.....FFS cant the board see we need an experienced manager....well then again they did employ...GRUNT..ROEDUNDANT...THEN GUNNY

i would love to see Mark Robins in charge next season

50%, omg, that is disgraceful, how can anyone in their right mind (no disrespect to gunny) want gunny to stay? We need a PROVEN manager who can work on a miniscule budget, and can keep the players confidence up at all times.

Despite all this, I think we might stay up next year! [;)] [:p]

Just back from the forum myself, and here''s a few pointers.
  • As said, 50/50 seem in favour of Gunny getting the job. Absolute bloody rubbish.
  • Some guy claimed he was in touch with Cullum who confirmed he never made an offer as - as he put it - "he valued the shares as worthless and Delia understandably wanted to recoup some of the cash".
  • Gunny was cleared riled by some of the snide comments, and had a pop back. His passion is extremely admirable.  Said he would clear out a lot of the players if he got the job - and hinted at one time the goalkeeper should be a leader, insinuating Marshall may be in line for cull. Also said would be meeting with players tomorrow to discuss their futures.
  • Doncaster got a lot of the criticism and took it well.
  • First board meeting Wednesday, but could be first of many. Shouldn''t be surprised if decisions aren''t taken instantly.
  • Crofty was continually put into a difficult position and asked if he was going to stay. Every time, Munby interjected and so didn''t really get an answer.

[quote user="ITFC or NCFC......NCFC"]50%, omg, that is disgraceful, how can anyone in their right mind (no disrespect to gunny) want gunny to stay? We need a PROVEN manager who can work on a miniscule budget, and can keep the players confidence up at all times. Despite all this, I think we might stay up next year! [;)] [:p][/quote]

The problem is that the board do what they think will play well with the fans. If there are fans telling them Gunn should get a chance then that will be all they need. They need to get the message before Wednesday!

I was at the fans forum until 6 when I had to leave for transport reasons. Judging by the way Gunn was speaking I have no doubt he has the job, he was also very uninspiring. Smudger was stood at the back making his feelings known, looked like they were nearly ready to chuck him out when I left

i''m not happy that gunny hasn''t fell on his sword here - he couldn''t get the team over the finishing line - losing 5 outa the last 6...i don''t give a toss whether he''s mr naaarwich city or what - the guy screwed up - clearly,,,he''s not fit for purpose...end of///the blackpool caretaker manager is only ''hopeful'' of getting the appointment full time - after escaping the relegation zone by 10 clear points and losing only once in 10 games!!!jesus - what we''d all give for that - and sure - the clamour for gunny would be rightly clear and loud...

Yep Gunn is putting himself before the club and people like Waghorn championing his cause are making it worse , clearly not a manager and clearly not doing the decent thing right now.

Not on facebook myself but has anybody considered starting a ''Don''t give it to Gunn'' page? Would help if you were 18 - 22, female and would make it to the final of Britain''s Next Top Model.

Walker had no experience. Worthington was a failure before taking over at City after a spell as coach. Dave Stringer.  Ken Brown. Historically success comes from being inside and having knowledge of the club, giving a shit and understanding the football needed and the supporters. Outsiders always fail. Gunn is the right man. Good coaches and ''experience'' in that area is the key.

[quote user="Bigus"]Walker had no experience. Worthington was a failure before taking over at City after a spell as coach. Dave Stringer.  Ken Brown. Historically success comes from being inside and having knowledge of the club, giving a shit and understanding the football needed and the supporters. Outsiders always fail. Gunn is the right man. Good coaches and ''experience'' in that area is the key.[/quote]

We are in this position due to us sitting back excepting it, gunn isnt the man for the job, he and his team are so tactically nieve it hurts, he has had 19 games incharge and won 5, the facts are there!

Walker, Worthington, Stringer and Brown all came from within the coaching team. Gunny was a scout for crying out loud.

It''s plain for all to see that Gunny was completely unable to inspire the players he  had under his charge. Okay, so in 19 games he couldn''t turn crap to gold, but surely no one expected that. What we had a right to expect was that the manager would send out a pack of lions every game. What we got was a complete travesty.  The lack of quality isn''t Gunny''s fault, but the passionless, spineless surrenders are. His tactical nouse is also questionable to say the least. Waiting far too long to make changes or even not at all in must win games also undoubtedly cost us. We need a clean slate. Get a Robins or Boothroyd in and give him time to sort out a proper foundation for a return to the Championship by bringing through our youth - because let''s face it we''re broke and can''t afford to buy new players.

Exactly Jules - being able to ''motivate'' the players was Gunny''s "USP" in lieu of experience.

Bleeding yellow and green and all that.

On the plus side, he’s made some decent decisions, eg how he dealt with Fotheringham

But I’m mystified also by some of Gunn’s tactics and selections. Not selecting Alan Lee against Sheffield Wednesday, moving Alan Gow out to left wing when after he had won man of the match up front. The ridiculous formation away at Swansea where no-one seemed to know what they were doing. Using subs in a reactive as opposed to a proactive way, and often making changes far too late. The number of times we came out at the start of the second half almost asleep and surrendered the initiative, eg the Southampton 2-2 draw. The selection of our most consistent centre back at left back against Charlton when we had a better option at left midfield. I’m sure there are a plenty of others.

He might be a decent bloke, and a club legend, but tactically he’s struggling with the basics.

My view is that NCFC should issue a statement thanking him for his efforts and he should stand aside. Unfortunately as he’s already indicated that he wants the job, so if he is not re-appointed it will appear as if he’s been sacked. Another fine mess.

Hopefully Brian Gunn will not get the managers job. He is sad to have been the one who was in charge when we went down he has intimated that he wants to be given the chance to rectify that by becoming manager. I believe it would be a disaster not to bring someone in who has had success in Div 1.

There was too much sentimentality in giving him the job in the first place, as a sort of antidote to Glen Roeder. We have the opportunity to start afresh and I hope against hope that the club will take it.

@Canary charge. He had to use a bunch of lacklustre players who don''t give a rats. Turning us around was a mammoth task and the football did improve did it not? He is likely to want to sign 10 more McDonalds. Fine by me.

@ Marshmallow Monkey. Walker was a youth coach. Stringer too no? Management is not always about being a tactical genius like Wenger or Mourinho, I think passion and desire go a long way. Get the players motivated and hungry and you see results. We have 2 coaches below him to provide experience and support.

Outsiders come in, take a year to settle, dump players they don''t like who may be important, drop good yoth players we have been investing in and have no idea what needs to be done. A new man would need 2-3 years at least to get under the table and make full use of all of the youth resources and get to grips with our small transfer kitty to be succesful. Roeder had a 3 year plan, any outsider would also. By that time everyone cries that its not good enough and we get someone else in and there we are. Back to square 1 again. At least Gunn is in, understands what needs to be done and what he has to play with, cash wise, player wise, academy and has th epassion and drive.

Just saying, thats my 2c worth.

[quote user="Bigus"]

@Canary charge. He had to use a bunch of lacklustre players who don''t give a rats. Turning us around was a mammoth task and the football did improve did it not? He is likely to want to sign 10 more McDonalds. Fine by me.

@ Marshmallow Monkey. Walker was a youth coach. Stringer too no? Management is not always about being a tactical genius like Wenger or Mourinho, I think passion and desire go a long way. Get the players motivated and hungry and you see results. We have 2 coaches below him to provide experience and support.

Outsiders come in, take a year to settle, dump players they don''t like who may be important, drop good yoth players we have been investing in and have no idea what needs to be done. A new man would need 2-3 years at least to get under the table and make full use of all of the youth resources and get to grips with our small transfer kitty to be succesful. Roeder had a 3 year plan, any outsider would also. By that time everyone cries that its not good enough and we get someone else in and there we are. Back to square 1 again. At least Gunn is in, understands what needs to be done and what he has to play with, cash wise, player wise, academy and has th epassion and drive.

[/quote] They were nearly all his lacklustre players that didnt give a rats , Gow his signing even told somebody Gunn would be better employed driving a train . Says it all really.

[quote user="Dictator Smith"][quote user="Bigus"]

[/quote] They were nearly all his lacklustre players that didnt give a rats , Gow his signing even told somebody Gunn would be better employed driving a train . Says it all really.
[/quote]

And it was very very clear that all this green and yellow blood wasn''t good enought either was it, it must have cost a small fortune getting Gunns team together, money well spent or what    

Away to Charlton. Shackell, Leijer, McDonald, Mooney, Lee.  Gunns signings. Shackell and McDonald have been excellent. Mooney has scored 3 in his 8 games. Lee has scored 2 in his 6.

The loans may lack passion and Gow can say what he feels but Gunns side played better and offered more hope than Roeder''s. We would have gone down much sooner with Fotheringham as captain, casually walking around the pitch screaming orders but never tracking back to help.

Look, it''s a mess, the players don''t care and half of them play for other teams but now more than ever we cannot afford to risk another outside failure. We don''t have that kind of time.