Sign in to follow this  
Canary Wundaboy

Those 18,000 season ticket holders for next season...

Great post Jez.

One of the saddest things about our great club''s relegation is that it gives an opportunity to some posters to hurl abuse at and seek to blame the fans whose support keeps the club going and whose support will be needed even more now, especially if administration follows.

We are in the third tier for the first time in half a century. Who''s to blame? The players? All those missed chances and defensively inept performances? The manager? The previous manager? The Board who appointed them? The Chief Executive who wrote optimistic articles in the EDP? Andy D''Urso? A string of poor referees? A host of penalty decisions that went against us? A run of injuries? A run of bad luck? The cyclical nature of football success? No, none of those; it''s the fans, of course, who bought season tickets! How dare they? Serves them right!

There appears to be 2 firm camps in this thread. First there is the ''I''ve renewed my season ticket and will continue to support the club through thick and thin'' camp. Second there is the ''cancel your season ticket and force the board to act'' camp. I am firmly in the 2nd camp having cancelled my season ticket half way through the season before last when I could see we were going to get nowhere under the current board.

The way I see it is that both camps love and support NCFC and always will. I doubt you will find a single fan who on the back of this relegation goes off to support Man U or the scum. I dont think that cancelling or renewing makes anyone a better or worse fan. However, what I do believe is that renewing season tickets irrespective of whats happening with the running of the club is a bad idea. It is afterall to some extent endorsing the management of the club and helps the directors to carry on in the same way. On the other hand, cancelling your season tickets en mass would force the hand of the directors and make them sit up and take action. So the question we need to ask is whether we need to force the directors hand? My view is that unless there is significant change at the top we are not only likely to struggle next season but we are likely to continue down the current path of decline. And although I do not have the answer as to who could replace the current board I am certain that somebody would come forward when needed. In an earlier post somebody said that clubs up an down the country are going bust. Are they really? Which clubs have gone out of existence? Does anybody doubt for example that somebody will come in and take over Southampton?

Also, this does not have to be a choice between attending and not attending games. It also doesnt have to be more expensive to buy casual tickets then buying a season ticket. I mean who doesnt find themselves in a situation a couple of times a year where they cant go to a game due to a holiday or the wedding of a close family member? So going casually and missing a couple of games will end up costing similar to a season ticket.

My point is that I think everybody should cancel their season tickets, if they are able to do so on the direct debit scheme, and as a result force the current board into action for better or for worse. People can make it clear to new prospective investors that they will come flooding back when a change at the top takes place. Someone could even start a thread to that effect on here where people can state that they have cancelled but will come back when new investors take over the running of the club. I''m sure archant would report on it if enough people signed up to it.

We are all on the same side here. Lets not argue between ourselves too much but rather discuss how to bring about the changes that we all want.

I understand where you are coming from, but consider this.We have a club who have securitised season ticket sales.  A mass cancellation would now result in the club being starved of a guaranteed and significant income stream.  This in turn could lead to an even poorer team next season or even administration.  If this is "tough love", I''m not a big fan - provided we see signs in the next few days that the board are listening and will make changes.If, however, Gunn is appointed full time manager I will cancel as I believe his appointment would signal the final death of all ambition in terms of a football team and it would be a big two-fingered salute to the fans who deserve better.

Its funny how people see things in different ways. I like to see this as starving the directors of money rather than starving the club. At the end of the day the current owners will have to front up the money if there is a shortfall or else they end up losing their ''investment'' entirely. I also doubt that any season ticket money will be going into strengthening the squad for next season given the all ready reported £7m reduction in TV revenue etc. This club needs major change and reorganisation if we are ever to recover from this relegation and I think mass season ticket cancellation is the only way that the fans can help bring about that change.

BTW, I am expecting Gunn to get the job full time. The players seem to want it. The fans are not going to turn on him for a good while as none of this is his fault. And this is the key one, I am sure it is the cheapest option.

I fully support my team i have since way back in 1982.Yes its a low point the lowest i have ever known..............but i am city till i die However long it takes i will be there.I wont run away and look elswhere i will stick by my team thorugh thick and thin, rain or shine,Exeter too Carlisle i will do my best to be there for my team,not the board but my team.I wont forget yesterday ever! everyone of us was let down but i know that one day we will rise again a better and more formidable club than ever before......."City till i die"

I renewed my season ticket before the first deadline, because i support the club, and want to watch them whatever division they are in

Can we have enough of this, "If you haven''t got a season ticket, then you''re not a loyal supporter" crap, as some idiots on this board would have you believe?  There''s people who can''t always get to games (work, living away, etc) who are more passionate than some of the dullards I see going to games who just renew out of habit.

[quote user="JJ"]

Can we have enough of this, "If you haven''t got a season ticket, then you''re not a loyal supporter" crap, as some idiots on this board would have you believe?  There''s people who can''t always get to games (work, living away, etc) who are more passionate than some of the dullards I see going to games who just renew out of habit.

[/quote]

hear hear

[quote user="Rum ol boy"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

hear hear

[/quote]

Well I''m struggling to understand this point of view. I thought what some idiots on this board were trying to get you to believe was that if you had a season ticket you were in some way to blame for relegation. I thought that was what the thread was all about. I haven''t seen anyone say that if you don''t have a season ticket you are not a loyal fan. And I see yet another attack on the season ticket holders has been added. Now not only are they responsible for relegation but they are also dullards who renew out of habit.

Do you two read what you write before you post?

[quote user="Canary Pirate"][quote user="Jez"]

I don''t like the board, or alot of the decisions they made (although I was there in our premiership season singing "delia''s barmy army" along with everyone else, as you were I imagine), but I don''t go to games to support a bunch of suits, I''m there to support my football team.

What you NEED to accept is that we are a team with very little money.  I''ve read many posts about how we need a new board, a new owner, more investment, a better manager, better players, players in long-term contracts rather than loanees etc etc etc, and I agree with every single one of those points.  What I don''t seem to understand is where all the whingers, protestors, boo-boys, nay sayers and general pessimists think we''re supposed to find any of these things?

Who wants to buy Norwich?  Is Callum our saviour?  I haven''t read and stories about a mystery benefactor interested in buying a small, isolated, English club.  What hard decisions would you have them make?  In case you hadn''t noticed  clubs are going bust across the English leagues, is anyone bailing them out?  Are there any great success stories you can point to?

If we stop supporting the club, the clubs revenue drops.  If that happens we have to either gamble with money we don''t have and risk losing everything, or dwindle further into obscurity.  Which one of those options do you prefer?  Where is your magical third option going to come from?

[/quote]

Agree, someone with their head screwed on living in the REAL world ! [:)]

[/quote]

Ditto that - The extremist minority views on this forum make me laugh - I come on here for my daily dose of wonderland!!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rum ol boy"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

hear hear

[/quote]

Well I''m struggling to understand this point of view. I thought what some idiots on this board were trying to get you to believe was that if you had a season ticket you were in some way to blame for relegation. I thought that was what the thread was all about. I haven''t seen anyone say that if you don''t have a season ticket you are not a loyal fan. And I see yet another attack on the season ticket holders has been added. Now not only are they responsible for relegation but they are also dullards who renew out of habit.

[/quote]I think it might have been the glory-hunting comment that someone made NN… it goes both ways!

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]There appears to be 2 firm camps in this thread. First there is the ''I''ve renewed my season ticket and will continue to support the club through thick and thin'' camp. Second there is the ''cancel your season ticket and force the board to act'' camp. I am firmly in the 2nd camp having cancelled my season ticket half way through the season before last when I could see we were going to get nowhere under the current board. The way I see it is that both camps love and support NCFC and always will. I doubt you will find a single fan who on the back of this relegation goes off to support Man U or the scum. I dont think that cancelling or renewing makes anyone a better or worse fan. However, what I do believe is that renewing season tickets irrespective of whats happening with the running of the club is a bad idea. It is afterall to some extent endorsing the management of the club and helps the directors to carry on in the same way. On the other hand, cancelling your season tickets en mass would force the hand of the directors and make them sit up and take action. So the question we need to ask is whether we need to force the directors hand? My view is that unless there is significant change at the top we are not only likely to struggle next season but we are likely to continue down the current path of decline. And although I do not have the answer as to who could replace the current board I am certain that somebody would come forward when needed. In an earlier post somebody said that clubs up an down the country are going bust. Are they really? Which clubs have gone out of existence? Does anybody doubt for example that somebody will come in and take over Southampton? Also, this does not have to be a choice between attending and not attending games. It also doesnt have to be more expensive to buy casual tickets then buying a season ticket. I mean who doesnt find themselves in a situation a couple of times a year where they cant go to a game due to a holiday or the wedding of a close family member? So going casually and missing a couple of games will end up costing similar to a season ticket. My point is that I think everybody should cancel their season tickets, if they are able to do so on the direct debit scheme, and as a result force the current board into action for better or for worse. People can make it clear to new prospective investors that they will come flooding back when a change at the top takes place. Someone could even start a thread to that effect on here where people can state that they have cancelled but will come back when new investors take over the running of the club. I''m sure archant would report on it if enough people signed up to it. We are all on the same side here. Lets not argue between ourselves too much but rather discuss how to bring about the changes that we all want.[/quote]

I admire your strength of feeling but you are deluded.

1 - Your view is extremist and in the minority

2 - The less the club gets the poorer the team - it will not oust the current board.

3 - We do not have  choice about who owns NCFC. It is the same at Newcastle and many other clubs. Money is tight and so is our club.

Just enjoy supporting the team like most of us will next yer and forever. What league they are in does not atter - it is the team i love and love is without condition.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rum ol boy"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

hear hear

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it might have been the glory-hunting comment that someone made NN… it goes both ways!
[/quote]

It doesn''t with me Andy. No blame for where we are can be attached to any fan. Whether they have a ST or not. To make a stand you believe to be right by not attending also doesn''t mean you are a glory hunter. But while that stand is being made I guess it does rather compromise the ability to comment on what goes on at games. There are posters on this board who want it all ways I''m afraid. They want to comment on incidents that they don''t see while they withdraw their support from the club. The comments about the fans from those who weren''t there at scum, and to a lesser extent at Charlton, have been disgraceful.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rum ol boy"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

hear hear

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes thanks Nigel. I keep hearing all this crap about being a glory hunter, non fan etc etc if you''re not renewing your season ticket..........theres being loyal and being taken for an idiot........

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Well… I just canceled my direct debit.

Felt incredibly guilty about doing so and I am hoping someone from the club contacts me to discuss the matter… I''m looking forward to discussing it with them!

Casual tickets for me next season, I shall continue to go and support but with the season ending and no chance of getting there tomorrow to have a go, this was the only way I have left to protest.

I know it will make f**k all difference, but felt the need all the same. [:@]
[/quote]

Yes but have you told the club in writeing at least one month in advance, No oh dear watch your bank statement

[/quote]

Sorry folks it appears that I am wronge on this, but I stopped a D D to Lloyds bank once but they still took money from my account and they said they could take money from any account with my name on it

Nutty, you take everything so personally.  This is the sort of thing I was referring to.  And I''ve seen this sort of stuff on here before.

[quote user="ctid"]

At some point in the future; we will either improve,  get lucky , get a new owner or all three. The 18,000 of us who are "real" fans; In sickness and in health, until death do us part. Will turn on the glory seekers and sing "where were you when we were s***". All you first Wizards should understand.The loyal 18k are not supporting the rubbish appointments made by a rubbish board; or the lack of commitment made by overpaid mercenaries. We are Norwich fans by birthright. It is a tattoo that cannot be removed. Iwill admire those fans visiting Carrow road next season who will hope to stay in div 1 and not even dream of the premiership. They too are real fans and not keyboard warriors  

[/quote]

Please don''t think I''m slagging off everyone who renews.  I just hate this culture among some (not everyone) that if you don''t have a season ticket then you''re a glory seeker.  I can''t go to every game and its not by choice.  I also hate the fact that I know of people who constantly renew their tickets out of habit yet don''t enjoy it.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Andy Larkin"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rum ol boy"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

hear hear

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it might have been the glory-hunting comment that someone made NN… it goes both ways!
[/quote]

It doesn''t with me Andy. No blame for where we are can be attached to any fan. Whether they have a ST or not. To make a stand you believe to be right by not attending also doesn''t mean you are a glory hunter. But while that stand is being made I guess it does rather compromise the ability to comment on what goes on at games. There are posters on this board who want it all ways I''m afraid. They want to comment on incidents that they don''t see while they withdraw their support from the club. The comments about the fans from those who weren''t there at scum, and to a lesser extent at Charlton, have been disgraceful.

[/quote]

What do you think of the fans who protested against your other Nigel nutty?

[quote user="Rum ol boy"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rum ol boy"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

hear hear

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes thanks Nigel. I keep hearing all this crap about being a glory hunter, non fan etc etc if you''re not renewing your season ticket..........theres being loyal and being taken for an idiot........

[/quote]To be honest, I completely understand why some people will no longer want to renew, or will want to cancel, their season tickets. Iam cool with that, it''s everybody''s right to do what they want to do. What I do get antsy about is the people like Worst Lizard who don''t have season tickets telling those who do that they should cancel them if they are "proper" fans. That''s unacceptable in my view.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Now you already know that I disagreed with them so why ask? I didn''t just disagree with them on here but also in the Barclay during games. They made their views heard and I made mine heard. There were no puches thrown, no spitting or abuse, I just disagreed with them. They then renewed their ST''s and I renewed mine. We stand together supporting our team now just as we did then. CTID, through the good times and bad. I do think some of you have a rather strange view of what a football supporter is at times.

Did you go to Charlton in the end Mr Carrow?

The whole issue is difficult, because all of us who are supporters, whether ST holders or not, love the club and all have our own level of what we individually feel is the right thing to do, based on what we feel we want for the club.

There are those (and they are many) who will go, come what may, under whatever manager, board, whatever because they see the club, ie the badge, colours, heritage etc as what the club is, ie what they are there to support. They will cite the personnel at any one time irrelevant, they are supporting the history and culture of NCFC.

After this you get support in descending levels. Some (and again there are many) support the club because of Delia. I personally have met them, and know of them first hand, some are not NCFC fans, but fans of Delia. They were not here before she arrived on the board of directors and I doubt they will be here after she has departed.

Then the rest, most of us in other words, most of us with many year of support behind us. We just want to support the club we love to the best of our ability. Some of us will stop going at periods of time to implement a "protest" against certain people/managers/loss of form/league position or players. Something happens to force us to question our support, and we may use of of these reasons as why we are not attending at any one time.

Should we all send our season tickets back/cancel DDs just because we don''t agree with the policies of the board or the level of quality on the pitch? Of course, if that''s right for you. After all, the most important thing is making our own decision, and for me, that''s exactly what I will do.

I am angry, disappointed and despondent with how this club is being run (into the ground by degrees) but am I going to let the likes of Munby and Doncaster keep me away? No, quite the opposite. I was raised to support the team and the club by my dad, who by the way, also taught me to question things I felt were not right. So there you are. We are all different in finding reasons as to why we should or should not renew our tickets, and until we have some sort of settled side, manager who can cope with all aspects of the job and a competent and proactive board I guess we will not all think as one. Don''t hold your breath waiting for that moment though!

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Well… I just canceled my direct debit.

Felt incredibly guilty about doing so and I am hoping someone from the club contacts me to discuss the matter… I''m looking forward to discussing it with them!

Casual tickets for me next season, I shall continue to go and support but with the season ending and no chance of getting there tomorrow to have a go, this was the only way I have left to protest.

I know it will make f**k all difference, but felt the need all the same. [:@]
[/quote]

I''m exactly where you are right now, This is the only way to dissagree with the club! Opt out. Thanks for the last five seasons but it''s a good time to hop off!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Now you already know that I disagreed with them so why ask? I didn''t just disagree with them on here but also in the Barclay during games. They made their views heard and I made mine heard. There were no puches thrown, no spitting or abuse, I just disagreed with them. They then renewed their ST''s and I renewed mine. We stand together supporting our team now just as we did then. CTID, through the good times and bad. I do think some of you have a rather strange view of what a football supporter is at times.

[/quote]

So you reserve the right to criticise your fellow supporter when you see fit, but also have a go at others for criticising supporters when you don`t like it......[:|]  And you have the front to label others "hypocrites"?!

My view of being a football supporter is definately NOT pledging to turn up no matter what those running the club get up to.  I would suggest nearly every supporter has a line which can`t be crossed, whether it`s someone like Di Steffano taking over, or someone who wants to turn us into an official feeder club for Arsenal (as i believe was actually mooted by our former chairman....) etc.  I have absolutely no respect for anyone who states that there is no "line", because what they are effectively saying is that someone is welcome to come in and use and abuse the club and they will give them money whilst they do it.  Idiot/mug/sheep, take your pick.

I was both at Charlton and not at Charlton, a bit like "honest nutty" both protested against Chase but also did not protest against Chase.....[:D]

Im a season ticket holder, and go to most away games every season. I dont care what other people think about me renewing. If I want to renew to watch my football club in whatever division, then I shall do so, and if people want to call me "not a proper fan" well tbh, I couldnt give a flying **** what they think!

And to be honest, thats the approach all season ticket holder should have. Renew, or not renew because YOU want to. Not because someone else tells you to or critisises you

I''m with Gazza and Chops on this one. I can totally see the argument for cancelling your season ticket, and I can also see the argument that says that this club needs its fans more than ever now. Questioning the loyalty and passion of other supporters is ridiculous. There simply aren''t any glory-hunting supporters of Norwich City, for obvious reasons. We all care, some of us show it by going to every game and shouting their heads off, some by cancelling their season tickets because they think that the best interests of the club are served by getting rid of the board.

My position at the moment is that I will be claiming my 20% refund - I think that any request for us to waive it would be outrageous. If Gunn is re-appointed, and all the signs are that he will be, then I will be pretty close to cancelling my season ticket, because in my view such an action would show that the board have learned nothing from the last few years.

As Mr Carrow says, there''s got to be a line somewhere. As individual season ticket holders we have very little power and influence, but that doesn''t mean that you shouldn''t exercise the little power and influence you do have.

otbc

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you reserve the right to criticise your fellow supporter when you see fit, but also have a go at others for criticising supporters when you don`t like it......[:|]  And you have the front to label others "hypocrites"?!

My view of being a football supporter is definately NOT pledging to turn up no matter what those running the club get up to.  I would suggest nearly every supporter has a line which can`t be crossed, whether it`s someone like Di Steffano taking over, or someone who wants to turn us into an official feeder club for Arsenal (as i believe was actually mooted by our former chairman....) etc.  I have absolutely no respect for anyone who states that there is no "line", because what they are effectively saying is that someone is welcome to come in and use and abuse the club and they will give them money whilst they do it.  Idiot/mug/sheep, take your pick.

I was both at Charlton and not at Charlton, a bit like "honest nutty" both protested against Chase but also did not protest against Chase.....[:D]

[/quote]

I think I''ll buy you a dictionary Mr Carrow. You need to understand the difference between disagreeing and criticising.LB BE RW S128. Ask those around me if I agreed with them over Worthy and then ask them if I criticised them. Maybe then you will understand how fans with differing views can stand together and support their team.

You are entitled to your view of what a football supporter is just as I am entitled to mine. Everyone has the right to support the team in any way they deem correct. But what gives anyone the right to blame other fans for the position we are in and to say they deserve relegation, which is what this thread is all about.

It''s already been established that I didn''t protest against Chase and the post you keep referring to where you say I did was a joke post where I took the identity of a serial protester from all the protests I have seen over the years. The first of which, by the way, was a particularly disgraceful one against Geoffrey Watling and I certainly didn''t really take part in that. More did than were protesting yesterday though. I am honest Mr Carrow, I don''t like dishonesty. From time to time people drag up old posts of mine to try and prove otherwise but it doesn''t work. I don''t try and set myself up as a better fan but I won''t be treated like a second rate fan, especially by those who should know better. I also believe that in the scenarios you refer to change could be better affected from season ticket holders inside the ground than a few people turning up "out of hours" and protesting outside.

So were you at Charlton or not?

This is "honest nutty" who has regularly quoted a sentence from a post by me from a post from 5 years ago, but handily chopped off the last few words so it totally loses its intended meaning.  Who accuses me of posting about us having more staff than Chelsea when it was someone else.  Who whines about people making things personal whilst being quite comfortable posting disgusting stuff about other posters living in my rectum.

You`re an arrogant hypocrite.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

This is "honest nutty" who has regularly quoted a sentence from a post by me from a post from 5 years ago, but handily chopped off the last few words so it totally loses its intended meaning.  Who accuses me of posting about us having more staff than Chelsea when it was someone else.  Who whines about people making things personal whilst being quite comfortable posting disgusting stuff about other posters living in my rectum.

You`re an arrogant hypocrite.

[/quote]

Well thanks for that Mr Carrow. I think you should read those threads again.

So did you go to Charlton?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Yes i did.  But then, i`ve got a rather strange sense of humour.......[/quote]

So if you went why do you find it neccessary to join in threads blaming fans for what happened? Didn''t you see enough to realise it wasn''t the fans fault? Where abouts in the ground were you?