Sign in to follow this  
Destort

Should Gunn Lead Norwich City in League 1 After Relegation

Categorically not. If they do appoint him, the board will no longer simply be guilty of frightening levels of incompetence; and will have entered the new territory of full scale negligence.

No, but lets face it, he talks like he has the job already so i dont think things are going to change.

Gunn and his coaching team MUST be given a chance.He has demonstrated integrity, people, and man management skills and has the respect of players, managers and people in the game at the highest levels, his ability to recruit Butterworth and Crook shows his acumen- Butterworth has the highest level of coaching ability and qualifications and with the creativity and excellence of Crook this combination provides an exciting new dawn for the club. He was willing to take on the trail of destruction and dessimation left by Roeder, appointed days before the transfer deadline with no money to spend...who else was queing up under these circumstances?  Roeder left the players broken and whipped and it takes time to turn things around. They have shown their love and commitment to the club, the least they deserve is to be given the opportunity to put their collective expertise into practice. The fact that we were still in with, albeit a whisker of a chance, of survival right to the last match of the season shows that, given a clean slate, they have the capacity to take this club back to where it belongs. Loan players by and large haven’t worked. Given Gunn’s brief track record of pulling in McDonald, Smith, Shacks and Lee who have shown passion for City then what a prospect to have a whole team of players with the qualities Gunn has identified in them. Appointing a manager from lower leagues would be a big mistake and smacks more of the lack of ambition the board have been accused of.

[quote user="shareholder-fairy"]Gunn and his coaching team MUST be given a chance.He has demonstrated integrity, people, and man management skills and has the respect of players, managers and people in the game at the highest levels, his ability to recruit Butterworth and Crook shows his acumen- Butterworth has the highest level of coaching ability and qualifications and with the creativity and excellence of Crook this combination provides an exciting new dawn for the club. He was willing to take on the trail of destruction and dessimation left by Roeder, appointed days before the transfer deadline with no money to spend...who else was queing up under these circumstances?  Roeder left the players broken and whipped and it takes time to turn things around. They have shown their love and commitment to the club, the least they deserve is to be given the opportunity to put their collective expertise into practice. The fact that we were still in with, albeit a whisker of a chance, of survival right to the last match of the season shows that, given a clean slate, they have the capacity to take this club back to where it belongs. Loan players by and large haven’t worked. Given Gunn’s brief track record of pulling in McDonald, Smith, Shacks and Lee who have shown passion for City then what a prospect to have a whole team of players with the qualities Gunn has identified in them. Appointing a manager from lower leagues would be a big mistake and smacks more of the lack of ambition the board have been accused of.[/quote] Do you really believe all that shit your shovelling , Gunn must not be let anywhere near the managers job , maybe Delia can find him something flipping burgers.

[quote user="shareholder-fairy"]Gunn and his coaching team MUST be given a chance.
He has demonstrated integrity, people, and man management skills and has the respect of players, managers and people in the game at the highest levels, his ability to recruit Butterworth and Crook shows his acumen- Butterworth has the highest level of coaching ability and qualifications and with the creativity and excellence of Crook this combination provides an exciting new dawn for the club. He was willing to take on the trail of destruction and dessimation left by Roeder, appointed days before the transfer deadline with no money to spend...who else was queing up under these circumstances?  Roeder left the players broken and whipped and it takes time to turn things around. They have shown their love and commitment to the club, the least they deserve is to be given the opportunity to put their collective expertise into practice. The fact that we were still in with, albeit a whisker of a chance, of survival right to the last match of the season shows that, given a clean slate, they have the capacity to take this club back to where it belongs. Loan players by and large haven’t worked. Given Gunn’s brief track record of pulling in McDonald, Smith, Shacks and Lee who have shown passion for City then what a prospect to have a whole team of players with the qualities Gunn has identified in them. Appointing a manager from lower leagues would be a big mistake and smacks more of the lack of ambition the board have been accused of.

[/quote]

Frightening post. Absolutely frightening post.

What "man management skills" has he demonstrated? Did he demonstrate them against Reading and Charlton, our two most important matches for 49 years, which happened to feature two of the worst performances in living memory? If he "has the respect of players, managers and people in the game at the highest levels", why didn''t he ever try to become a coach or manager at any other club, instead of learning on the job with us at the very moment we desperately needed expertise, rather than a complete novice? What qualifies him to do the job? That he''s a nice bloke who played in goal for us once? That he wants the job? If I want to be Prime Minister, does that mean I can have the post without doing a long apprenticeship first?

He''s too nice, has no tactical understanding, and no experience. Leaving him in charge would be tantamount to footballing suicide, and constitute gross negligence on the part of the board. When he took over, we were 21st in the table, above the bottom three on goal difference. At the end of the season, we were 22nd, five points adrift of safety. We didn''t get better under his management; we got worse.

Your final sentence, incidentally, is completely hilarious. You think actually appointing someone with a track record, someone who knows League 1 and has already proven themselves would constitute "lack of ambition"? Does this mean when employers look at someone''s CV and background before appointing or promoting someone, you reckon they''re not being ambitious either? No: they''re using their brains, and doing the logical thing. Unlike you, given the romantic codswallop above.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

Agreed totally.

Anyone who thinks Gunn is the right man for the job needs to be sectioned pretty damn quick.

[/quote] Its mostly the same people who think Delia and Doncaster are doing a good job , completely deluded and more than partly to blame for the mess we are in now. Probably know more about cookery than they do football.

[quote user="thebigfeller"]

[quote user="shareholder-fairy"]Gunn and his coaching team MUST be given a chance.
He has demonstrated integrity, people, and man management skills and has the respect of players, managers and people in the game at the highest levels, his ability to recruit Butterworth and Crook shows his acumen- Butterworth has the highest level of coaching ability and qualifications and with the creativity and excellence of Crook this combination provides an exciting new dawn for the club. He was willing to take on the trail of destruction and dessimation left by Roeder, appointed days before the transfer deadline with no money to spend...who else was queing up under these circumstances?  Roeder left the players broken and whipped and it takes time to turn things around. They have shown their love and commitment to the club, the least they deserve is to be given the opportunity to put their collective expertise into practice. The fact that we were still in with, albeit a whisker of a chance, of survival right to the last match of the season shows that, given a clean slate, they have the capacity to take this club back to where it belongs. Loan players by and large haven’t worked. Given Gunn’s brief track record of pulling in McDonald, Smith, Shacks and Lee who have shown passion for City then what a prospect to have a whole team of players with the qualities Gunn has identified in them. Appointing a manager from lower leagues would be a big mistake and smacks more of the lack of ambition the board have been accused of.

[/quote]

Frightening post. Absolutely frightening post.

What "man management skills" has he demonstrated? Did he demonstrate them against Reading and Charlton, our two most important matches for 49 years, which happened to feature two of the worst performances in living memory? If he "has the respect of players, managers and people in the game at the highest levels", why didn''t he ever try to become a coach or manager at any other club, instead of learning on the job with us at the very moment we desperately needed expertise, rather than a complete novice? What qualifies him to do the job? That he''s a nice bloke who played in goal for us once? That he wants the job? If I want to be Prime Minister, does that mean I can have the post without doing a long apprenticeship first?

He''s too nice, has no tactical understanding, and no experience. Leaving him in charge would be tantamount to footballing suicide, and constitute gross negligence on the part of the board. When he took over, we were 21st in the table, above the bottom three on goal difference. At the end of the season, we were 22nd, five points adrift of safety. We didn''t get better under his management; we got worse.

Your final sentence, incidentally, is completely hilarious. You think actually appointing someone with a track record, someone who knows League 1 and has already proven themselves would constitute "lack of ambition"? Does this mean when employers look at someone''s CV and background before appointing or promoting someone, you reckon they''re not being ambitious either? No: they''re using their brains, and doing the logical thing. Unlike you, given the romantic codswallop above.

[/quote]

Gunn inherited this team of no hopers from Roeder. The fact that most of the players couldn''t get themselves motivated for key matches such as Ipswich away, Reading and Charlton shows what a sorry and useless bunch most of them are. I was at Charlton on Sunday and one positive that did stand out for me was the two players who really did play out of their socks were players that Gunn  brought  to the club - Lee and MacDonald plus Smith who Gunn "promoted" to the first team. Doherty and Gunn tried hard but, let''s face, it they really are a couple of cart horses.  

[quote user="Dictator Smith"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

Agreed totally.

Anyone who thinks Gunn is the right man for the job needs to be sectioned pretty damn quick.

[/quote] Its mostly the same people who think Delia and Doncaster are doing a good job , completely deluded and more than partly to blame for the mess we are in now. Probably know more about cookery than they do football.
[/quote]

Errr - tell me the name of one poster on this MB who has stated that they think that Delia and Doncaster are doing a good job.

I love Bryan Gunn. I really do. Despite the fact we are relegated he is still Mr.Norwich and he is a wonderful man. If he came into my workplace today I''d not hesitate to shake his hand and thank him for his effort, commitment and desire to try and rescue us from relegation.

But despite this, I just can''t see us moving forward with him at the helm. What happened against Charlton was an absolute disgrace performance wise, the players just don''t give the same care about the club as Gunn does and thus there was no way he could''ve pumped them up more for the occasion. If we were in mid-table in the Championship and just needed a man who knew the club inside out to see us out in a mediocre season then Gunn would''ve been the answer. Alas this wasn''t the case and I think in the end despite how well he handled the pressure, it was too much effort for ANY manager to get a bunch of overpaid, ingrate loanees to think of anybody else but themselves.

I''d actually keep Gunn at the club in some capacity, perhaps even as an assitant manager with Crook and Butterworth keeping their coaching roles. Gunn can still play an important role in getting us back up to the Championship next season. But I think the time has come for him as manager to step aside and let someone else take over.

Regarding the next appointment, I''m of the opinion that Doomcaster and Mumbler should be NOWHERE NEAR the selection process. I''m not sure who usually calls the shots, but if it is definately Delia then she needs outside help in order to advise her, preferably someone that actually has a clue. Could we get a Robins, Tilson or a Pardew? We certainly need a manager with more experience thats for sure. Tilson is my personal choice after his work at Southend. Imagine what he could do at a bigger club if given the chance?

The foundations of the squad for next season actually look better than most people think. The youth set up is obviously the first place to look after the youth team actually came 2nd in their league this year after a string of excellent performances both in League and the cup. We''ve got Martin and Spillane back from Luton after they had a good season in League 2 and almost helped Luton stay in the division despite their crippling points deduction.

Alan Lee has already shown his desire to stay. I have a feeling Lee can be a player of similar ilk to Leicester''s Matty Fryatt. I think he only scored 4 goals in the season the foxes went down, but this season in League One he couldn''t stop putting them in the back of the net. I feel Lee could flourish just as much next season. With Tilson building a team around those individuals and possibly a couple of others not only do I think we could get promoted at the first attempt, but I think we''d rape some of the opposition in that league on our day.

One thing that is absolutely certain and is almost 100% happening now anyway is that the chairman and cheif exec have no choice but to be removed from their positions. Their contributions (or lack thereof) over the last 5 years have seen us gradually sink further and further into a black hole of debt and disarray. Hey, perhaps they tried! Maybe they are actually nice guys and you could have a laugh and a joke with them if it was another lifetime. If they really have given as much effort as they can give, then they are clearly not skilled enough for the work their position requires. Either way, they must leave or be removed by Smith.

Their removal will mark the start of the rebuilding of this once great club.

[quote user="shareholder-fairy"]It''s not shit it''s FACT...are you Roeder in disguise? sounds like some catty comment he would''ve made...Gunn should be given a chance.[/quote] Gunns had his chance a royally F--ked it up .End of story , he is turning into an embarrassment  .

[quote user="Superflash"]

I love Bryan Gunn. I really do. Despite the fact we are relegated he is still Mr.Norwich and he is a wonderful man. If he came into my workplace today I''d not hesitate to shake his hand and thank him for his effort, commitment and desire to try and rescue us from relegation.

But despite this, I just can''t see us moving forward with him at the helm. What happened against Charlton was an absolute disgrace performance wise, the players just don''t give the same care about the club as Gunn does and thus there was no way he could''ve pumped them up more for the occasion. If we were in mid-table in the Championship and just needed a man who knew the club inside out to see us out in a mediocre season then Gunn would''ve been the answer. Alas this wasn''t the case and I think in the end despite how well he handled the pressure, it was too much effort for ANY manager to get a bunch of overpaid, ingrate loanees to think of anybody else but themselves.

I''d actually keep Gunn at the club in some capacity, perhaps even as an assitant manager with Crook and Butterworth keeping their coaching roles. Gunn can still play an important role in getting us back up to the Championship next season. But I think the time has come for him as manager to step aside and let someone else take over.

Regarding the next appointment, I''m of the opinion that Doomcaster and Mumbler should be NOWHERE NEAR the selection process. I''m not sure who usually calls the shots, but if it is definately Delia then she needs outside help in order to advise her, preferably someone that actually has a clue. Could we get a Robins, Tilson or a Pardew? We certainly need a manager with more experience thats for sure. Tilson is my personal choice after his work at Southend. Imagine what he could do at a bigger club if given the chance?

The foundations of the squad for next season actually look better than most people think. The youth set up is obviously the first place to look after the youth team actually came 2nd in their league this year after a string of excellent performances both in League and the cup. We''ve got Martin and Spillane back from Luton after they had a good season in League 2 and almost helped Luton stay in the division despite their crippling points deduction.

Alan Lee has already shown his desire to stay. I have a feeling Lee can be a player of similar ilk to Leicester''s Matty Fryatt. I think he only scored 4 goals in the season the foxes went down, but this season in League One he couldn''t stop putting them in the back of the net. I feel Lee could flourish just as much next season. With Tilson building a team around those individuals and possibly a couple of others not only do I think we could get promoted at the first attempt, but I think we''d rape some of the opposition in that league on our day.

One thing that is absolutely certain and is almost 100% happening now anyway is that the chairman and cheif exec have no choice but to be removed from their positions. Their contributions (or lack thereof) over the last 5 years have seen us gradually sink further and further into a black hole of debt and disarray. Hey, perhaps they tried! Maybe they are actually nice guys and you could have a laugh and a joke with them if it was another lifetime. If they really have given as much effort as they can give, then they are clearly not skilled enough for the work their position requires. Either way, they must leave or be removed by Smith.

Their removal will mark the start of the rebuilding of this once great club.

[/quote]

Good, thoughtful and, above all, constructive post Superflash. I don''t necessarily agree with all of it but I wholeheartedly agree with the removal of Doncaster in particular.......... but I wonder what termination clause he has in his contract ....... how much will it cost Delia to get rid of him ?

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

Good, thoughtful and, above all, constructive post Superflash. I don''t necessarily agree with all of it but I wholeheartedly agree with the removal of Doncaster in particular.......... but I wonder what termination clause he has in his contract ....... how much will it cost Delia to get rid of him ?

[/quote]

Thanks Snooty. I''m of the opinion that if the correct appointment post-Doncaster is made for his position, the long term benefits would see Delia recover her losses from paying for compensation or at the very least bring stability. The same goes for Mumbler. Of course, if Delia herself steps aside and a new investor comes out of the shadows then that should settle the payments.

Good God NO! Why get an interim manager, watch them fail, and then appoint them anyway?!  if that was the case they would have given him a long term contract and just said "do what the hell you want!"

Even this board aren''t that ridiculous...  

Surely Gunn cannot be appointed. That''s nearly 9 out of every 10 who don''t want to see him in charge next season.

I would have supported Gunny if we were to have stayed up but surely the reason for the short term contract was to see whethere he could do it.

The reward for failure by Gunn, is a paid up contract and all the benefits that go with it for your club to pay him.

How long does his contract have to expire and how much is it worth?

Do you have the money?

or

Are you prepared to pay it?

To sack him is easily said but the reality is different, isn''t it?

Andy.

[quote user="Happyhammer Andy"]

To sack him is easily said but the reality is different, isn''t it?[/quote]

Seeing as his contract only lasted to the end of this season, no I don''t think so.