Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

A carthartic outpouring!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

Completely mad idea, but in the absence of anything else I will chuck it in and get destroyed for it. Through NCISA ( or set up a fans group if they won''t do it) we take a full page advert out in one of the popular national daily papers, pleading for someone to come and save/buy/takeover the club. Paid for by the fans, funds gathered through donations collected by NCISA. Local business people may be prepared to chip in as well. Would possibly get A LOT of publicity.

Even those fans who refuse to go to watch football under the current regime could contribute with a clear concience, as they would be genuinly attempting to do something to bring about change. Would not a potential investor be impressed at supporters so loyal that they would be prepared to pay for such an ad?

Cam could tell us how much it would cost, and if it''s feasible I will chuck in the first £100, because I do not want to see things continue as they are.

Probably rubbish but am all out of other ideas at present.

[/quote]

Not a mad idea at all, BB. It would garner some great publicity. I''d happily match you £100.

[/quote]

I can afford £50

[/quote]

great idea - but cos my 4 timer went west yesterday - i could only afford a tenner[:D][:D][:D]
[/quote]

right oh - that''s £260 within the space of a few minutes - c''mon all those moaning about the current regime, here''s a chance to put your money where your mouth is.

ps - and where''s Cam when you need him? 

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

Beausant - you and I may have locked horn a couple of times over the Cullum episode (and we may never agree on what happened there) but I agree with your outpouring here. Whatever happens this is not a time for the fans to start falling out If we are going to rebuild and come back stronger then we need to be united behind what is going to be a young team next season. If there was one, tiny, tiny positive to come out of yesterday it is in my view that we were so totally and utterly awful that there was no infighting amongst the fans and no slagging each other off for being pro or anti delia etc. We were all there and we all had one thing in common.. We all love our club and we have all been massively let down by virtually everyone involved with it over the last 5 years!

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Jim. At the end of the day I see no point in coming on a forum and expecting everyone to agree with you, but that''s healthy. What gets me are the dogmatists who won''t try to construct arguments, but simply resort to insults and categorisation (eg sheep, deliarites etc).That''s not to say that I never hit back, but I have very respect for posters like you who will actually debate things without abuse.Although we disagree on Cullum, I suspect we''d agree on many things.

Mister C also hits the nail on the head regarding, the whole "I''m a true supporter because I''ve not been near the ground for three years, even though it hasn''t resulted in a single thing changing"  nonsense. We can only make change happen by fighting together, not against one another.

[/quote]

B, this is getting worrying; that''s two posts of yours in two days with which I agree!

Signing up now to 3 years of NCISA.  If this is the chosen vehicle, so be it - it''s down to us to make sure we are well represented.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Beau and Chops, great hard hitting posts, and very apt on this oh so depressing of days. I joined the NCISA to become part of an organisation which would afford all fans fed up to the back teeth of the spin machine at Carrow Road, a real alternative. I have just returned from an Open Day like none I have ever attended. The forum had to be witnessed to be believed, some real stick issued out to the board members, Doncaster and Munby, and also some to Bryan Gunn also. Some frank and very passionate views were made. Of course there are still a lot of fans who really will follow the board''s policy to the edge of a cliff and beyond, but I sense that there are now sufficient amounts of people seeking an alternative voice and a body to campaign for change. That''s the reason I joined the committee and I hope to encourage others to do the same. I have had far more than I can take of the same old same old excuses and platitudes. It''s time for the fans who don''t support the boards'' policies to stand up and counter them. If enough of us do it it can only be good for the fans out there who feel at present there is nothing or no one to stand up for their views. I stress this is just my view and not NCISA policy, but would encourage all of you who do want change where it really counts at NCFC to put across your views within NCISA. Strength in numbers and all that.[/quote]

It''s interesting to note how many threads along similar lines to this one have sprung up today. There are a lot of intelligent, articulate posters on this forum, and that can be channeled effectively. While standing outside the ground and hurling abuse makes some people feel good, unless it involves much greater numbers than have been seen so far, it''s never going to be effective, becuase, as Dennis did after the Charlton game, it''s too easily dismissed as rent a mob. I remember the Brentford Cup debacle during the Chase days. I was there on a corporate and happened to be sitting two seats away from Sir Arthur South and another ex City director. When Brentford went ahead the anti Chase chants sounded, whereupon Sir Arthur and his collleague simply looked at each other, rolled their eyes and said with a grin "Oh here they go again". There were thousands chanting that day and these guys saw it as a bit of a joke. Only greater and greater numbers of people prepared to take direct action did the job eventually.

I think we have to show ourselves to be  rational people who have simply had enough, and use whatever media outlets and other platforms we can. The likes of Smudger could completely undermine any sensible action. Many of us have long business experience so could contribute various things. Individually none of us have everything required, but together....

To pick up on your final point, Gazza, if enough like minded people join, then NCISA policy is whatever the majority decide it to be.

[quote user="LinkNR9"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

Beausant - you and I may have locked horn a couple of times over the Cullum episode (and we may never agree on what happened there) but I agree with your outpouring here. Whatever happens this is not a time for the fans to start falling out If we are going to rebuild and come back stronger then we need to be united behind what is going to be a young team next season. If there was one, tiny, tiny positive to come out of yesterday it is in my view that we were so totally and utterly awful that there was no infighting amongst the fans and no slagging each other off for being pro or anti delia etc. We were all there and we all had one thing in common.. We all love our club and we have all been massively let down by virtually everyone involved with it over the last 5 years!

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more Jim. At the end of the day I see no point in coming on a forum and expecting everyone to agree with you, but that''s healthy. What gets me are the dogmatists who won''t try to construct arguments, but simply resort to insults and categorisation (eg sheep, deliarites etc).That''s not to say that I never hit back, but I have very respect for posters like you who will actually debate things without abuse.Although we disagree on Cullum, I suspect we''d agree on many things.

Mister C also hits the nail on the head regarding, the whole "I''m a true supporter because I''ve not been near the ground for three years, even though it hasn''t resulted in a single thing changing"  nonsense. We can only make change happen by fighting together, not against one another.

[/quote]

B, this is getting worrying; that''s two posts of yours in two days with which I agree!

[/quote]

[:D][:D][;)]

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

brilliant post Beauseant, and yes I think it''s frustration that has got us at each other''s throats, at least verbally.

I think nearly everyone can agree on the following though -

We need a new Board, one that has the ability to support the team financially, at least to put us in the upper half ot the Football Championship.

We need an experienced Manager, with the ability to motivate players and spot a bargain in the transfer market.

We need a new CEO, hopefully one that won''t prove so irritating to so many of us, and on less salary as well!

We need future transparency and honesty in communications from Carrow Rd, so we know what''s going on.

I think it''s difficult to start something from scratch, so perhaps the NCISA is the way to go, I''m not a member at the moment, and if it''s not doing what we want then it''s up to enough of us to become members to change it from within, that''s what I intend to do.

We somehow need to make the outside football world aware of our potential, right now we have more season ticket holders than the vast majority of other English clubs, and that''s against the backdrop of the absolute rubbish we''ve been watching this season! I am not convinced that enough potential investors realise what a loyal fan base we have.

Completely mad idea, but in the absence of anything else I will chuck it in and get destroyed for it. Through NCISA ( or set up a fans group if they won''t do it) we take a full page advert out in one of the popular national daily papers, pleading for someone to come and save/buy/takeover the club. Paid for by the fans, funds gathered through donations collected by NCISA. Local business people may be prepared to chip in as well. Would possibly get A LOT of publicity.

Even those fans who refuse to go to watch football under the current regime could contribute with a clear concience, as they would be genuinly attempting to do something to bring about change. Would not a potential investor be impressed at supporters so loyal that they would be prepared to pay for such an ad?

Cam could tell us how much it would cost, and if it''s feasible I will chuck in the first £100, because I do not want to see things continue as they are.

[/quote]

Apologies for late response but a national advertisement for a buyer is not really a starter in my view.  It''s not a mad idea, just so horrendously expensive.  As all of you know the Sun is the biggest selling "football paper" in this country and a black and white full page for one day will cost you around about £42,000.  Don''t ask about colour.  Mirror a bit over £30,000 but half the circulation.

It would certainly gain you publicity but whether it would pull in an investor (s) is entirely another matter.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

I agree too Jim this was a very good post by Beau... much as it pains me to say it (only joking BEAU)... [:D]

As for pantomime villain whatever flicks his switch, but he has not met me so how would he know???

I believe that the NCISA are set to act and I also believe that all fans should rally behind them in doing so.

Smudger, never ever wanted protests to be about him, he just wanted to stir some City fans in to acting and be the one to speak up and say what needed to be said when others believed it was something that you simply couldn''t say.

[quote user="Smudger"]

I agree too Jim this was a very good post by Beau... much as it pains me to say it (only joking BEAU)... [:D]

As for pantomime villain whatever flicks his switch, but he has not met me so how would he know???

I believe that the NCISA are set to act and I also believe that all fans should rally behind them in doing so.

Smudger, never ever wanted protests to be about him, he just wanted to stir some City fans in to acting and be the one to speak up and say what needed to be said when others believed it was something that you simply couldn''t say.

[/quote]Hurrah, we agree on the NCISA''s role they have to play in this.I can''t believe you''ve started referring to yourself in the third person. Are you a heavyweight boxer?

Well I would chip in a thousand quid for a newspaper ad; any other wealthy supporters up for it? It would have to be a national daily if I were to put up the cash.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Apologies for late response but a national advertisement for a buyer is not really a starter in my view.  It''s not a mad idea, just so horrendously expensive.  As all of you know the Sun is the biggest selling "football paper" in this country and a black and white full page for one day will cost you around about £42,000.  Don''t ask about colour.  Mirror a bit over £30,000 but half the circulation.

It would certainly gain you publicity but whether it would pull in an investor (s) is entirely another matter.

[/quote]This is an interesting idea and is a good test of the strength of opinion. £42,000 would get loads of publicity and is hardly a fortune. Those who don''t go to matches on principle must be saving hundreds each year. If about a hundred of them contributed this, the £42,000 would be raised easily.I think this is a real opportunity for those that think regime change is simply a matter of protest to gain a hige amount of publicity. It will only require a relatively small number of dedicated "fans;" and a little organisation. One rich "fan" could do it. If you can''t organise this, you may as well give up. I watch with great interest!

Badger, I think there are enough of us who are completely and utterly fed up with those running our club, and also plenty who together can collate some good ideas and the funds to make a difference. I would certainly give all I can to such a campaign.

Publicity is key, and for me we have to start with the local press. The columnists are largely critical of the club, it''s the editors and staff writers who just don''t come out and say enough when they have the ideal platform. IF they genuinely think the board are the best people to carry on running us into the ground, then so be it, if not then the editor and staff need to speak out.

We also need all supporter groups to work together on this. If they are still largely in agreement with the status quo, I think fans at large need to know this. If not, then we should all be working on solutions to help our club, despite the large brick walls in the way.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Smudger, I''m told you''re ok in the flesh and I look forward to meeting you in the not too distant future to find out. Until then I can only judge you by your online persona!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Badger, I think there are enough of us who are completely and utterly fed up with those running our club, and also plenty who together can collate some good ideas and the funds to make a difference. I would certainly give all I can to such a campaign. Publicity is key, and for me we have to start with the local press. The columnists are largely critical of the club, it''s the editors and staff writers who just don''t come out and say enough when they have the ideal platform. IF they genuinely think the board are the best people to carry on running us into the ground, then so be it, if not then the editor and staff need to speak out. We also need all supporter groups to work together on this. If they are still largely in agreement with the status quo, I think fans at large need to know this. If not, then we should all be working on solutions to help our club, despite the large brick walls in the way.[/quote]

Spot on Gazza, we now have two very workable ideas, ie mass membership of NCISA and national publicity. If we can get up a head of steam I may be able to utilise the fact that one of my housemates at University is now the Economics editor of the Guardian (Spurs fan, sadly, although I did manage to drag him to Carrow Road in the 70s to marvel at Kevin Reeves!). Maybe (and this is pure speculation), he could get one of their sports writers interested , but there would have to be a real story to tell. Just a thought, but I''m sure other posters also have contacts that may be useful?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Badger, I think there are enough of us who are completely and utterly fed up with those running our club, and also plenty who together can collate some good ideas and the funds to make a difference. I would certainly give all I can to such a campaign. Publicity is key, and for me we have to start with the local press. The columnists are largely critical of the club, it''s the editors and staff writers who just don''t come out and say enough when they have the ideal platform. IF they genuinely think the board are the best people to carry on running us into the ground, then so be it, if not then the editor and staff need to speak out. We also need all supporter groups to work together on this. If they are still largely in agreement with the status quo, I think fans at large need to know this. If not, then we should all be working on solutions to help our club, despite the large brick walls in the way.[/quote]

Spot on Gazza, we now have two very workable ideas, ie mass membership of NCISA and national publicity. If we can get up a head of steam I may be able to utilise the fact that one of my housemates at University is now the Economics editor of the Guardian (Spurs fan, sadly, although I did manage to drag him to Carrow Road in the 70s to marvel at Kevin Reeves!). Maybe (and this is pure speculation), he could get one of their sports writers interested , but there would have to be a real story to tell. Just a thought, but I''m sure other posters also have contacts that may be useful?

[/quote]

It''s a pity that Wednesdays meeting was called off. Not because of Gunn but because it would have given us all a chance to meet and discuss possible tactics.

If Tilly/Kathy reading this can they try and arrange something?

I am also concerned that Doncaster and Munby will be hung out to dry leaving the real culprits untouched.

Some good stuff going down in this thread,interesting,intelligent ideas being bandied about. So far it, has not been polluted,nice to keep it that way. I like the idea by Baclay_boy, may not be feasible but at least possibilities are being discussed, maybe good publicty can be gained just by this ongoing thread.If the idea gathers steam and gets a way of getting the money together,then I will also be willing to contribute.[ promise it will not be Romanian currency] Keep up the good work all.

[quote user="gerry in romania"]Some good stuff going down in this thread,interesting,intelligent ideas being bandied about. So far it, has not been polluted,nice to keep it that way. I like the idea by Baclay_boy, may not be feasible but at least possibilities are being discussed, maybe good publicty can be gained just by this ongoing thread.If the idea gathers steam and gets a way of getting the money together,then I will also be willing to contribute.[ promise it will not be Romanian currency] Keep up the good work all.
[/quote]

An unashamed bump, because I think we''re actually going somewhere with this and the more viewpoints we have the better.

I can''t afford £100 but I''ll chuck in £20. Great idea guys. Let''s keep this moving. Can we set up a Paypal account or something that people can donate to?

It''s going to be interesting to see how the week plays out. I think the board are genuinely shocked at quite how strong feelings are, and we will see who really controls the press office now. The general feeling is that Doncaster and Munby are being offered as sacrificial lambs, but if anything I would have guessed that Doncaster would have been the smartest operator when it comes to PR. The fact is that I think they know that business as usual for the board and a reappointment of Gunn won''t fly. I''m expecting a (possibly token) bloodletting at board level to "show they''re listening" and they''ll delay the managerial decision for a week or two with the quotation "All the players are taking holidays now anyway so it doesn''t set us back to wait a week or two and make sure we get it right".

Should give NCISA et al some time to mobilise equally.

I would say just wait a day to see if NCISA can pull all of this together.

Then there is a focal point and a system for handling it all.

[quote user="The Butler"]

I would say just wait a day to see if NCISA can pull all of this together.

Then there is a focal point and a system for handling it all.

[/quote]

I agree totally. I await the NCISA statement with interest and have just urged people to join up in numbers on that thread. There is no doubt that NCISA is the perfect vehicle for the reasons I gave earlier in the thread. Let''s hope they can handle the logistics.

Beau, that would be great, do you mean we could actually get a proper journalist into CR to ask some real questions?

I pray for the day.....

Ha ha Canary02, yes they may well delay announcing it, but deep down I think their decision is made. IF they think an instant return to the Championship is feasible they will do nothing and carry on as before. We have to convince them that under the current regime and staff, we are staying where we are, for a long time to come.

It is a shame to see such a promising thread die, so I shall stick my oar in.I reckon we will see some changes at boardroom level on wednesday and a delay on the manager decision untill replacements are in place.  I have no evidence for this, but a gut feeling from what I have heard.   How quickly replacements turn up will tell us how advanced things had got in takeover/extra investment talks (but not much, quick = nowhere or nearly done!).  Whether Foulger / the Wynn-Jones''s step down almost certainly depends on whether a buyer is found for their shares or not.I hope whatever happens happens quickly so preparation for next season can have as long as possible to happen.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

The board needs to go, but a replacement must be found. I''m sure even the most blinkered believers in Peter Cullum must accept that now we are down  he must make his move if he ever intends to. The club is at a low ebb, Delia knows that the majority want her out, and the time is ripe. We will see.

[/quote]

I hate to say it but I dont think we have hit rock bottom yet. It will be then that I expect PC. to make a move.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

So it''s happened at last. We are dropping to our lowest level in nearly half a century and I''m still trying to work out how I feel. To be honest I''ve been preparing for this day since the Coventry game, because I just couldn''t see the players mustering the guts and fight to get us out of it. While Barnsley''s players stood up to be counted our mob simply stood up and asked to be excused. Now it''s happened, I feel strangely detached, because I have found it harder and harder as the season has worn on to feel any sort of attachment to those representing our club on the pitch.

Inevitably today has seen insults flying around like pollen in the hayfever season because we all want to hit out at something. Whilst the board are most people''s favourites (mine included) Gunn, Cullum and fellow fans have all been targets. The "I told you so" brigade are out in force (presumably they were so busy typing vitriol about the fellow fans they so abhor that they forgot to go to Carrow Road and protest this afternoon), and there are lots of calls to protest/ return season tickets/boycott games and so on. At the end of the day I respect anything that any true City fan decides to do, because I sure as hell haven''t got any answers. My only hope is that now we have gone down something will happen. Unfortunately, the early signs aren''t good, but time will tell. While the division drop should make the value of the shares more negotiable, the loss of income will mean that any buyer will need to dig deeper to service the loans and to replace ( I suspect) a large proportion of the playing staff, although one hopes that the like of Clingan will generate some much needed revenue, although whether this finds it''s way into the playing budget remains to be seen. Certainly there can be no ongoing justification for a CEO earning nearly £200K pa.

As  for the manager''s position, I have been against Gunn''s appointment from day one, and do not see how we can progress if he stays in post. I''m afraid I don''t buy the argument that Butterworth or Chippy can step up and improve things, because they have been manning the ship as it has sunk without producing any discernible improvement.We need a new face untainted by the failures of this, or indeed the last few, seasons.

The board needs to go, but a replacement must be found. I''m sure even the most blinkered believers in Peter Cullum must accept that now we are down  he must make his move if he ever intends to. The club is at a low ebb, Delia knows that the majority want her out, and the time is ripe. We will see.

So, finally, where does this leave us, the fans? Speaking for myself, I love going to the games, even though I''ve watched some dross this year, and every game entails a 90 mile round trip (nothing to what some of you do, I know). I love chatting with fellow fans, the walk to the ground and the match day atmosphere, though not the standard of football we have been served in recent years. Would I sacrifice that to bring about change? Yes, if I really thought I could make a difference via a short term campaign, but not if I felt I was denying myself something I love to no real purpose over a longer period. .

If we are to achieve anything as fans, we will do so only by achieving a consensus . To do that we need a fulcrum to rally  around. I think that you can discount Smudger, whose pantomime villain act has alienated many who might otherwise have joined him. The obvious body would by NCISA, but whether it has sufficient membership numbers, the willingness to be a true voice of the fans, or indeed, whether it believes that the majority of fans want change are all open to debate. Maybe we can create something ourselves, but not while we''re all trying to score points off each other. I could no more give up supporting City than I could breathing, but that doesn''t mean that I accept the current regime.The status quo is no longer an acceptable option. However, I would say that if any potential new owner was relying on us to force the club into administration to get them the best possible deal then I would see them as no more acceptable as guardians of my club than the current bunch of clowns.

As I said, I don''t have the answers, but I just needed to get that off my chest!

[/quote]Great post mate, and I think it sums up how most of us feel.  The move by the NCISA today, albeit a clear vote of no confidence, which I think is a start, needs to be developed.  Pressure has to be put on the board IMO, from as many angles as possible because otherwise the board will be happy to continue with their inept policies.  I hope tomorrow''s meeting gives us some answers which we quite rightly deserve.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

brilliant post Beauseant, and yes I think it''s frustration that has got us at each other''s throats, at least verbally.

I think nearly everyone can agree on the following though -

We need a new Board, one that has the ability to support the team financially, at least to put us in the upper half ot the Football Championship.

We need an experienced Manager, with the ability to motivate players and spot a bargain in the transfer market.

We need a new CEO, hopefully one that won''t prove so irritating to so many of us, and on less salary as well!

We need future transparency and honesty in communications from Carrow Rd, so we know what''s going on.

I think it''s difficult to start something from scratch, so perhaps the NCISA is the way to go, I''m not a member at the moment, and if it''s not doing what we want then it''s up to enough of us to become members to change it from within, that''s what I intend to do.

We somehow need to make the outside football world aware of our potential, right now we have more season ticket holders than the vast majority of other English clubs, and that''s against the backdrop of the absolute rubbish we''ve been watching this season! I am not convinced that enough potential investors realise what a loyal fan base we have.

[/quote]

another unashamed bump. This was my original reply to Beauseant''s excellent post, floating the idea of a full page advert in a national daily newspaper, so far we have pledges of £1,260 towards an advert (thanks to a brilliant offer by Yellow Hammer). Camouldom reckons it''s £40,000 for a full page advert in the Sun, I reckon if we raised half that and contacted the Sun then they would take it up as it would also be a great story for them.

It serves a purpose on several fronts -

It would demonstrate to the Board just how seriously we want them to step aside. It would be great pubilicity for NCFC, it would draw the club to the attention of  potential big investors, it would bring together a set of of divided supporters of this club, and it would show just how ambitious WE ARE as supporters. So everyone who has been so vocal in wanting change, how about offering up some cash? It doesn''t have to be in hundreds, £10 - £20 would be a great gesture, or the sum of your season ticket rebate would go a long way to meeting the target. As someone else has posted money could be collected into a PayPal account, on the basis that if the advert doesn''t happen then all monies would be refunded.

On The Ball City - let''s get our club in the news for the right reason for a change!

Thanks for the input, Star and BB. I  feel much more positive that momentum is building and, notwithstanding the flaws in NCISA''s statement, I believe they deserve huge credit for acting so swiftly. We now need to build the membership as quickly as possible and make it a real pressure group, but we also need to develop the advertising idea further. If we can get further down the line in getting significant funds pledged that could itself generate publicity which will hopefully serve to attract further assistance.

As Barclay Boy says, there have been many advocates of change on here and now is the time to stop talking and start doing !

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

I hate to say it but I dont think we have hit rock bottom yet. It will be then that I expect PC. to make a move.

[/quote]they bought at the bottom - and will probably sell at the bottom...who to???pc''s the only game in town - but i suspect he''s waiting for an overwhelming appeal from the fans to rescue NCFC...

Well I am willing to put my season ticket rebate into this scheme if anyone can make it happen.

Over the last week the only bit of positivity for me has been the multitudes of goodwill messages from fans of other clubs. I tend to think also that the press/media in general hold us in high regard, though some of these seem to view us as Delia''s NCFC.