Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

What is the case for Gunn as manager?

Not an attack at Gunn, just wondering what peoples views are in terms of reasons for choosing Gunn over other possibilities.

Take being cheap as a given. I can think of his very good knowledge of the club, but whether than can cover for no managerial experience i dont know.

think because they don''t want anymore messing about with backroom staff the players are going through a revolving door don''t think they want the managers and coaches to go through it as well.

i''m not sure why it did that? new to the forum ;).. is there no edit function or somthing of the sorts?

Well I think the case for Gunn as manager is based on his similarities to Glenn Roeder''s track record. Roeder was, when he arrived, a ''proven'' manager, Gunn had no experience. Gunn was given 19 games in charge, if we include Barnsley. His record was P 19  W 5  D 5  L 9. Total points 20.  Compare that with Roeder''s first 19 league games of this season (up to the Crystal Palace game) and the record is eerily familiar  P19  W 5  D 5  L 9 = 20 points.

Ok the loan players were slightly different and Gunn signed Cody Mac. But the point is that under the current setup, with the current board and playing squad, Gunn did as well as someone who had been a Premier league manager at 2 different clubs (how well Newcastle have done since he left!) and was apparently rated highly by Arsene Wenger.  It''s difficult to know how well anyone could do with no money and a bunch of weak, unmotivated, overpaid players at their disposal. How well would Fabio Capello or Sir Alex Ferguson have done?

As every time we have appointed a new manager it has ended with similarly mediocre results you start to realise that the team has not been good enough, and the board has not been strong enough, and the manager is just a small cog in a big obsolete machine that is falling apart. To his credit, Gunn did realise the obvious and sign some strikers, even realising that we needed more than one or two. He had an excellent March, even being nominated for manager of the month. But a poor run of games that followed the team''s low morale after d''Urso''s inept refereeing decisions in Feb left too much to do. As it was we would have been safe had we won one and drawn two of our last three games.

But we lost all of them!

By the way I''m not necessarily advocating Bryan Gunn as manager. But I am advocating replacing the entire board and playing staff.