Sign in to follow this  
MPR

Today's Independent mentions Huckerby/Greeno swap deal

They say Keegan is interested in "£3m rated" Green and a swap deal looks likely. As they always say, never believe everything you read in the papers. However, here''s a possibility...

Greeno would be Seaman''s replacement and Seaman is going at the end of the year I think. We could therefore swap the players but as Greeno may be deemed reasonably surplus to requirement (barring injury or serious split ends damage to Seaman).

So........we swap the players but get Man City to loan us Greeno back for the rest of the season. They have a good player and don''t have to shell out/much cash (they''re £50m in debt) and we get to keep Green and Huckerby as well- maybe using some of the cash balance to pay him a slightly reduced salary.

That''s enough conspiracy theory, I shall return to the grassy knoll.

I seem to recall that Newcastle and Ipswich tried to arrange a loan back arrangement over Ambrose last season and the Football League ruled against it.

Worthy has prevoiusly ruled out such swap arrangements, but my guess would be, as Green''s contract runs to June 2005, he may be a transfer target next summer, if we don''t make the Premiership, heavens above.

Heard news today that Drury will sign for Man City on Jan 1st in exchange for Hucks. Hucks has agreed £15 000 per week and will go to Man City on the 9th Dec to re-sign on th 1st. What does everyone think? I would rather Drury got than Greeno good business I thinks.

Hucks has also been seen at the estage agent near King Street looking at brand new houses and I live near Drury I noticed a For Sale sign outside his house!!!! put up yesterday

FA ruled against it cos Ipswich were in administration. It is a possibilty, but who would rather replace Green with Hucks? I''ve seen Chrichton play a few times and he''s an excellent keeper, but Green is a rising star. It would be nice to keep him, but then also nice to see him in the top flight getting the recognition he deserves. And we could do with the three mil...

With todays announcement that the sale of the land has fallen through there is also a clear indication that the club will not be making any other loan signing permanent due to the cost of the wages of the players involved. This was the case whether or not the land sale had fallen through or not.

With the strict budget in place the loss of £6m income will have an impact on the squad at some stage - even though the articles is at pains to deny there will be any affect on NWs budget. £6m is a very significant amount for the club and we can still sell the however the timing is wrong.

With this in mind any rumoured deal rating Greeno at £3m would have to be seriously considered - in the current transfer market that is a lot of money for someone unproven at the top level , albeit with excellent potential. If that offer is on the table I would take it if we can bring in Huckerby as part of the deal- as you point out we do have adequate if not quite as good cover from the admiral once he is fit.

However I am sure that these are just rumours - what is more important is how we prepare ourselves for the games after the loan guys leave.

To all those involved in running the club continue demonstrate the ambition you have shown over the last few months, you have won over the doubters over the last few months, please dont go back into your shell now.

OTBC

Lots of well thought out and sensible comment here. It seems certain that something is gonna happen. If Drury left tho who would fill in at left back? Seems like Brennan is havin a mare with this injury of his. The thought of Easton in there is the stuff of nightmares!!
Greeno is a superstar and it''s very noble of Mook to say it would be nice to see him getting recognition in the top flight. It would but i''d still be gutted! If we had someone to fill in i''d sooner see Drury swapped than Greeno. But it''s gotta be tempting for Greeno ''cos he''d be a good bet for the England squad in Portugal if he was playin in the prem jan to may. I think Keegan would put him straight in ''cos seaman is looking dodgier by the game. Then you''d have to be happy for him if he made the England squad. He''s almost achieved gunny status at city, at 23 or whatever he is!
One thing that people haven''t floated here - what about both!! Huckerby plus greeno AND drury and a few mill. What value would you put on Drury''s head? 3 mil? The mirror rates Green at the same.

My understanding is that players can move down from the premiership to the 1st division without waiting for the 1st Jan deadline - see Briane Deanes move from Leicester to West Ham today on a free transfer.

If we are to sign Hucks it makes no sense for him to leave and return when he can join now and if juke box is in the deal some sort of pre contract can be agreed to ensure that he moves up to Manchester on 1st Jan.

The more I hear about these rumours the more I am convinced there is no foundation in them and the gossip is being made to fit suspected circumstances.

OTBC

I''ve seen Crichton too and thought he was a shocker! That ball he let drop over his head onto the bar against Millwall was one of the worst errors of judgment i''ve seen from a keeper. And his kicking leaves a little to be desired. Let Huckerby go if it means losing Greeno.

Wot about asking Man City for a swap deal for Hucks involving Easton and Hoofer Mackay. I am sure that would go down well with the Man City faithful and that way we get to keep Juke Box and Greeno. Seriously though, I do not expect Hucks to be here after Dec 13 unless we lose one of our best players which I dont think would be all that drastic cos after all the best form of defence is attack and Juke Box has not been brills this season and Greeno I fear would be off next season if we did not get Promotion anyway, so maybe we would have to give a little to probably gain a lot.

I''ve also heard exactly the same story as Nielson 6 that we''ll be signing Huckerby with Drury going the other way. Not heard the one about Greeno going but there''s bound to be speculation as he''s such an outstanding young keeper. I''ll be sad to see Drury go as he is also an excellent player but we have to ask the questions who will be missed more and who will be more influential in helping us gain promotion. I''m sure most fans would say Huckerby straight away. In my opinion the signing of Huckerby could be the difference in City being what they''ve been for the last two years in play-off hopefulls to becoming genuine automatic promotion contenders.

Guys, please, let''s take a step back and take a deep breath !!!!

First of all, when Wilson Connolly made their bid for the land, it was conditional on a number of factors, which is not unusual for residential developers. Planning was a major condition and this has since been obtained. This is a factor in the club''s favour and, as a result, the land still has enhanced value, whether it is acquired by the original developer, or anyone else for that matter.

Secondly, when negotiating a conditional deal, it is not unusual to impose a "drop dead" timescale to satisfy the various conditions with the potential purchaser. Thereafter, the original deal falls away. It would be lunacy to give someone an open ended option to purchase a site, such as ours.

The fact that the original deal has "time expired", isn''t necessarily bad news for the club. Indeed, the fact that the club have already indicated that they are already talking to other developers is indicative that they are seeking the best price for the land. Whether that is £6m or a higher figure, time will tell.

I have personal dealing with residential developers and, whilst they are not all the same, they are notorious for making aggressive bids for sites and then seeking to reduce the final price. I can''t say whether this has happened in this case ,but we should be encouraged that the club are revisiting the original postion and seeking to ensure they get best price for the land.

Having dealt with the "heavy duty" stuff, on the footballing front, Worthy has already dismissed the "swap" option. Green''s contract runs to June 2005 and, I suspect, the club would only seek offers for him next summer, assuming, first, we are not promoted, and, second, he has indicated that he is unlikely to renew his contract the following summer. Furthermore, Drury''s contract goes until 2006.

Whilst you can "Never say never" in this business, I''d be very surprised if there is any substance to these swap rumours.

This story was also in The Mirror this morning and i think if Norwich go ahead with the swap it will be one of the biggest transfer mistakes they could make. Lets say Green does go to Man City and Huckerby stays with us, whos going to replace Green? Crichton? Lewis? Crichton could be number one for a season but not much longer than that. And lewis, hes only 15.

Then we move on to Huckerby. Hes proven himself at First Divsion level but hes not a premiership player. You''ve seen him at Leeds, Man City and Newcastle and he just didn''t cut it.

Huckerby is playing well right now, but he wants to get himself in the shop window. If we sign him he has nothing to prove and for all we know he''l flop.

Lets keep Green and enjoy Huckerby while we have him, thats the best thing we could do.

I like Bomber''s idea of Easton and Mackay for Huckerby, we clearly think along the same lines. Seriously though, the idea of swapping Drury for Huckerby has been discussed amongst the supporters that I sit with in the Barclay. The bottom line is that even if you did the swap we would be back to square one again. It was only last season that everyone was saying that at long last we had found a left back. I still think the whole issue of Huckerby''s wages will determine whether he is bought.

This is absurd.

Darren is a very good player, and with him upfront is bound to boost our promotion camapainge, but lets think, we all ready have potential at the front, and the defence is brill. Hucks will not be playing for a huge amount longer, Green however has got to be one of the most promesing goalkeepers, AND WE HAVE HIM...HE IS OURS!!!!!!!!!!
Personally I beleive that Greeno is the best goalkeeper we''ve had since the prime of Bryan Gunn, and to swap him for an aging striker who has broved himself unworthy at the top level, is stupid. We''ll enjoy Huckerby for a while, then he''ll go back to Man. City we keep Greeno, and we''ll continue not conceding goals, and scoring them...

Think positive we have some decent strikers.

The same decent strikers that managed an 8th place last season and scraped into the playoffs the year before? You must be able to see the difference he makes? Today''s game vs Walsall was of the best displays I''ve seen from the team...We need to keep it like it is!

Yeah, but I didn''t really hear Hucks'' name mentioned too much. Too me it sounded like the little and large show, and there is a possibility we could continue that into the new year. If we do lose Hucks (which seems likely), I still reckon Crouch and McVeigh could take us to the premier and beyond, they are both top top players.

I LOVE You Mook!, Finally someone shares my oponion that Hucks is not as good as made out to be, Green is better in his position, than Hucks is in his, and Crouch and McVeigh are (in my opionion you entitled to your own) more consistant and better strikers then him

OTBC

As a fan of 8 years and a season ticket holder i feal it is time that Norwich gets some balls and take a chance in promotion, we are in the best form we have been in for a long time far better then the playoff days and if it means taking a chance and selling one of our best players to recieve an exciting prospect like hucks then lets go for it. The coments that i have just read on this post are extremly well thought of and an eye opener to all. I feal the worst for harper, with injury and suspension over his head i think his time at carrow road is up and i feal that he will return to portsmouth and rot in the reserves which is a shame coz he is a quality player and for 300 k is worth every penny. Also crouch i feal wanting to stay after speaking to him in time vip, will go!!!! i feal worthy and the board have a big decision to make, either go for hucks and let the other two loan players go as well as druray, or send hucks packing buy harper, extend crouch''s loan because of his age and also keep druray maybe the later is the best option i just dont know... i know one thing though it is nice to have the options to do something and really push for,dare i say it automatic promotion. i think we have the squad, manager and fans to do so this year. well done again at walsall a great day out really enjoyed it even though i was dressed as a pokemon!!!

Seriously, I think it would be wrong to get rid of the legend that is Robert Green.

Since this guy broke into the 1st team as the number 1 keeper, everything has turned around. Playoff Finals instead of Relegation battles.

Now I know it''s not all his doing, but he''s doing an damn good job. + I don''t think Crichton would make a good replacement and we''d need to buy someone else anyway,

so it makes no sense.

if we are to get Huckerby, he is gunna have to take a pay cut.

I''d rather have Green than Huckerby. but hey, Green will be a premiership keeper next season, in a Canary Shirt :D

C''mon You Yellows

Swoppng Green for Huckerby would be a huge mistake.
A keeper of Green''s calibre is essential not only to get out of this division but also if we were to have any hope of remaining in the Premiership.
Remember the 94/95 season? Sixth at New Year and relegated after Bryan Gunn was injured and we relied on flapper Marshall instead of investing in a new top class keeper.
Green has and will continue to earn us vital points. Without him we would be mid-table at best not challenging for promotion.