Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Robins interviewed today

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Robins will want his own coaching staff, possibly bring his assistant or a coach from Rotherham with him if he works well with them.

If gunn goes then we need to find the money to pay off Crook and Butts, find compensation to get Robins and whoever he wants bought in..

can we afford to do this?

what are the financial implications of it?

we need promotion at the first time of asking so whoever the manager is, Gunn, Robins or Gannon they MUST Acheive this.. the board have to be prepared to put up or shut up now.

jas :)

[/quote]i thought Crook and Butterworth were all on the same contract as gunn until the end of season, don''t think we''ll have to pay them off, besides we''re always "skint" but we have no problem paying Roeder and Worthy off!!!

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]I hope so. But they shouldn''t force Crook and Butterworth on him, he should make his own choice.
[/quote]

Would like to see Dublin or Roberts as his asst. Crook and Butterworth are idiots.

Just to clarify for the benefit of those who aren''t sure, Robins has done an absolutely superb job at Rotherham. Yes they were in the Championship not long ago, but they also very nearly went out of business even more recently - they were in even more of a mess than we are now. For him to get them where they are in the league after the loss of 17 points is astonishing. Of course he hasn''t been in the job that long, and of course his experience is limited, but at least he has some track record of making a success of a club with little money.

The choice of any manager is a gamble. All you can do is gamble smart, which means experience, hunger and track record. I would suggest that Robins has all three of those (with admittedly a brief track record). Boothroyd has experience and a mixed track record (though he wouldn''t be the first manager to suffer after promotion to the Prem). Whether he has the hunger for a job in League One is obviously doubtful, but he is out of work and Norwich is a big club. In comparison, Gunny only has hunger, and he has already proved that he is incapable of transferring that to his players.

Wild card - Steve Coppell. Don''t laugh. He has already suggested that he wants out at Reading. He is a unusual football manager in that he doesn''t seem to be an egotist. He is clearly not interested in the limelight and pressure of the Premier League (or the top of the Champ). If he quits Reading next week, we should be on the phone.

Worthington presumably advised Hamilton when Hamilton was manager but that did not stop Worthington being a success at Norwich.

Happy with a fourth division manager, sorry but I thought we need to plan a strategy to get out of this mess we are in........at a loss yet as to how, but Robins is not the man

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Just to clarify for the benefit of those who aren''t sure, Robins has done an absolutely superb job at Rotherham. Yes they were in the Championship not long ago, but they also very nearly went out of business even more recently - they were in even more of a mess than we are now. For him to get them where they are in the league after the loss of 17 points is astonishing. Of course he hasn''t been in the job that long, and of course his experience is limited, but at least he has some track record of making a success of a club with little money.

The choice of any manager is a gamble. All you can do is gamble smart, which means experience, hunger and track record. I would suggest that Robins has all three of those (with admittedly a brief track record). Boothroyd has experience and a mixed track record (though he wouldn''t be the first manager to suffer after promotion to the Prem). Whether he has the hunger for a job in League One is obviously doubtful, but he is out of work and Norwich is a big club. In comparison, Gunny only has hunger, and he has already proved that he is incapable of transferring that to his players.

Wild card - Steve Coppell. Don''t laugh. He has already suggested that he wants out at Reading. He is a unusual football manager in that he doesn''t seem to be an egotist. He is clearly not interested in the limelight and pressure of the Premier League (or the top of the Champ). If he quits Reading next week, we should be on the phone.

[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with you sir! Robins has done a truly stunning job with extremely limited resources and the board should make a serious effort to sign him up. I object to Boothroyd due to the style of football that Watford played under him, they were one of the ugliest teams ever to win promotion and I would hate to see us playing in that way. If we were to appoint him then I could seriously see him playing Doherty and Lee as strike force! Coppell has suggested he wants out and has obviously done a pretty amazing job with Reading, I rate him as one of the best managers in the country. However he did have considereably greater resources and a more competent board behind him than are presently in place at Nowich, if the current board remains i can''t see him doing half as well as he has done in the past. That being said I can''t really see anyone doing that spectacularly at the moment! Can''t really see the Coppell suggestion materialising, he seems to be a manager who likes stability (who doesn''t?) and would want to be given a lot of time to reshape the team in his image, given our current financial situation I can''t really see him being allowed that. We need to be back in the championship in two seasons at the most! 

[quote user="Paul Carter"]Happy with a fourth division manager, sorry but I thought we need to plan a strategy to get out of this mess we are in........at a loss yet as to how, but Robins is not the man[/quote]

Is that a wind up? A manager who has proved he can be a success on a shoe string is exactly what we need in the lower leagues!! Who would you expect? Sir Alex?

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

....Wild card - Steve Coppell. Don''t laugh. He has already suggested that he wants out at Reading. He is a unusual football manager in that he doesn''t seem to be an egotist. He is clearly not interested in the limelight and pressure of the Premier League (or the top of the Champ). If he quits Reading next week, we should be on the phone.

[/quote]I don''t think he''d touch the job with a bargepole, but, as I suggested previously, he would be the perfect bloke to advise the board. There''s something about him that''s a bit "Norwich". I can really imagine him enjoying the role of moulding NCFC into a great club once again.A long shot I know. But it must be worth a phone call .....

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

....Wild card - Steve Coppell. Don''t laugh. He has already suggested that he wants out at Reading. He is a unusual football manager in that he doesn''t seem to be an egotist. He is clearly not interested in the limelight and pressure of the Premier League (or the top of the Champ). If he quits Reading next week, we should be on the phone.

[/quote]

I don''t think he''d touch the job with a bargepole, but, as I suggested previously, he would be the perfect bloke to advise the board.
There''s something about him that''s a bit "Norwich". I can really imagine him enjoying the role of moulding NCFC into a great club once again.

A long shot I know. But it must be worth a phone call .....

[/quote]If he was given this job i think we''d all be in fantasy land, never going to happen though, your right what you say though he would make us great again

steve o, I think you may have misread my post. He would never come here as manager - I''m talking about providing the advice the Board so desperately need. I think it would be worth paying him a lot of money if he were prepared to fulfill that role.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]i think gunny has been harshly treated myself and i would be prepared to give him six months until January to see what he can do with his own team not one inherited from that useless twat Roeder, and i know some people will say that gunny was head of player recruitment but Roeder still only signed the players he wanted, which gunny proved when he took over by getting players in that Roeder had previously turned down (Lee and Gow for example)

tin hat time I''m guessing
[/quote]

Like Lee and Gow were good enough to keep us up???

Add to that Chris Killen... what a star he was!!!

I agree it is unlikely, but I don''t think it''s anything like as long a shot as it might first appear. Steve Coppell has walked out on a high profile club before - Man City. He strikes me as an intelligent man who realises that the attention and pressure that goes with being a Premiership manager is ridiculous and totally unconducive to one''s mental health.

The idea of him taking on a big club like Norwich in the relative media darkness of Norfolk and League One might be quite tempting, actually. A real footballing challenge for him to get his teeth into, without the attendant clamour.

And actually, I don''t see any reason why he should not be given time. What are our expectations for next season? I certainly don''t see a promotion charge - we simply don''t have the players. Building again from the bottom up, with a sense of a new start, that''s what''s got to happen and I think most people realise this.