Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Robins interviewed today

Hi,

Dont shoot the messenger im only passing on what i heard earlier from a friend who has connections with the club, Robins has been interviewed today, tho apparently part of the deal is Crook and Butterworth are to stay on. I hope this is spot on myself as i think Robins would be a good choice.    OTBC

[quote user="Big Bob"]If true, i''d be very happy, he would be much better than that joker Gunn.[/quote]Slightly harsh!!

I hope so. But they shouldn''t force Crook and Butterworth on him, he should make his own choice.

Sorry - but it''s imperative whoever the manager is gets to choose his own coaching staff. NCFC are in no position to dictate terms to any prospective manager; and if the OP is right, it''s just a further sign of how out of touch the board are.

Maybe slightly harsh, but Gunn is punching tonnes above his weight, he lost all credability with me when he didn''t stand down after the Charlton game

i think gunny has been harshly treated myself and i would be prepared to give him six months until January to see what he can do with his own team not one inherited from that useless twat Roeder, and i know some people will say that gunny was head of player recruitment but Roeder still only signed the players he wanted, which gunny proved when he took over by getting players in that Roeder had previously turned down (Lee and Gow for example)tin hat time I''m guessing

[quote user="thebigfeller"]Sorry - but it''s imperative whoever the manager is gets to choose his own coaching staff. NCFC are in no position to dictate terms to any prospective manager; and if the OP is right, it''s just a further sign of how out of touch the board are.[/quote]Yeah I think we''re on the same wave length there.  No doubt our sentimental board not wanting Crooky to have a wasted journey and Butterworth to have a longer stay..

Cheers Tim,sounds good!! (Just hope the board don''t try and use it as a sop to keep people quiet,i have fallen for it before and once bitten etc.)

I don''t think there is much love lost between Robins and our chief scout dehan is there ?

Can''t see him staying if Robins is appointed.

I agree with much that has been said previously; I would be happy with the appointment as Robins would be more prepared in terms of knowledge for the lower leagues, and would know how to play it.

On the other hand; if he has too accept Crook, and Deeham then its despicable negotiating on the boards behalf again. Every new manager should be given the choice, and control of his backroom staff.

[quote user="CNS-Canary"]

I agree with much that has been said previously; I would be happy with the appointment as Robins would be more prepared in terms of knowledge for the lower leagues, and would know how to play it.

On the other hand; if he has too accept Crook, and Deeham then its despicable negotiating on the boards behalf again. Every new manager should be given the choice, and control of his backroom staff.

[/quote]

I think the more worrying aspect is Crook and Butterworth are part of Gunn''s team, unless Gunn is totally calling the shots, shouldnt they take some blame to???

I cannot see them conducting interviews until the post mortem re the board has been completed.

Think this might be wishful thinking but hope I am wrong.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

I cannot see them conducting interviews until the post mortem re the board has been completed.

Think this might be wishful thinking but hope I am wrong.

[/quote]Really? I think they need to sort out the managers position asap to allow whoever they want to get on with it.

If we assume Robins has been interviewed, then I''d have thought that having Crook and Butterworth as part of his coaching team would be fine by him, although Dixie would have to go.Bear in mind that Robins backroom staff at Rotherham are composed of basically ex-Rotherham players, I can''t see why he''d be averse to ex-Norwich players in ours, particularly considering their ability when playing, and the seeming regard they are held in coaching wise.

[quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="CNS-Canary"]

[/quote]

I think the more worrying aspect is Crook and Butterworth are part of Gunn''s team, unless Gunn is totally calling the shots, shouldnt they take some blame to???[/quote]This is actually a very good point, nobody (that I know) has mentioned the lack of responsibility being laid at the feet of Crook and Butterworth.  If they have been advising Gunn then they are as much to blame as Gunn, and if they are not advising, then why not?

[quote user="Babyface"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"][quote user="CNS-Canary"]

[/quote]

I think the more worrying aspect is Crook and Butterworth are part of Gunn''s team, unless Gunn is totally calling the shots, shouldnt they take some blame to???
[/quote]

This is actually a very good point, nobody (that I know) has mentioned the lack of responsibility being laid at the feet of Crook and Butterworth.  If they have been advising Gunn then they are as much to blame as Gunn, and if they are not advising, then why not?
[/quote]

I agree with this completely; for Crook, the experienced assistant manager he has not really contributed to the set up as far as what I can see. No press stories, I’ve heard no pre/after-match comments. Nothing.

I think Gunn should leave, and take Crook, and Butterworth with him.

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]

Dont shoot the messenger im only passing on what i heard earlier from a friend who has connections with the club, Robins has been interviewed today, tho apparently part of the deal is Crook and Butterworth are to stay on. I hope this is spot on myself as i think Robins would be a good choice.    OTBC

[/quote]

I seriously doubt that they will have decided on BGs future tenure as manager just yet as they do have some time to play with.  If BG had not stated that he wanted to stay I''d have thought it possible (if still unlikely).  That aside there is the biggest problem that the board have not decided on anything yet as they were going to be meeting today for the first time and everything was to be on the table.  With all this uncertainty going on at the moment there is two questions I need to ask

1: After the board openly admitted that they made serious mistakes in appointing GR and PG would they seriously ruch into appointing a new manager just days after relegation?

2: With all of the uncertainty going on at the club at the moment would MR want to take the job?

3: Would talking to MR without permission (because I doubt they have) be a breach of league rules?

In relation to my second question I doubt that the board even know at the moment how much money they have to spend on the managers wages let alone how much it would cost to prise him away from Rotherham.

IMO

The answer to 1 is no, they are going to take a couple of weeks. 

The answer to 2 is probably no but will be yes once the board knows what it is doing and they wouldn''t ask before hand anyway.

I assume the answer to 3 is yes

[quote user="Babyface"][quote user="CANARYCHARGE"]I think the more worrying aspect is Crook and Butterworth are part of Gunn''s team, unless Gunn is totally calling the shots, shouldnt they take some blame to???[/quote]This is actually a very good point, nobody (that I know) has mentioned the lack of responsibility being laid at the feet of Crook and Butterworth.  If they have been advising Gunn then they are as much to blame as Gunn, and if they are not advising, then why not?[/quote]The reason it hasn''t been laid at their feet is because they have been very limited in what they can do. If we use another example, you hire a top horse trainer, someone with a proven record in getting the best out of horses, and you ask him to train a donkey to win the National, no matter how good he is, or how hard he works, the donkey will NEVER be good enough to win. So is it the trainers fault that he couldn''t get the donkey to perform, or the clients fault for giving him a donkey to work with and expecting miracles???The sad fact is that our squad is a shadow of it''s former self and needs a massive overhaul in the playing staff before a good coach can really start to perform.Interesting as well that following Crook''s arrival we tried a completely new attack on a corner (Red Arrows etc) and it was highly effective...We also don''t know how much of their input has been taken on board by Gunny, as some of the team/sub selections seem to infer.Don''t get me wrong, I''m not claiming that they''re world class coaches, or that it''s all Gunny''s fault, because being fair we were in an awful position when they came in, but I do think it''s too early to discount the coaching of Crook and Butterworth at this point.

I''d rather believe yesterday''s Guardian than yesterday''s Mail:

"And having failed to save Norwich City from the drop to League One, caretaker manager and club goalkeeping legend Bryan Gunn is facing the bullet now that Canaries chairman Roger Munby has earmarked Rotherham manager Mark Robins as the man to help the club back on to its Championship perch".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/05/football-transfers-newcastle-birmingham (at the bottom, of course)

Gunn will always remain a City legend, I do hope he doesn''t remain as City manager. Crook is a legend, and I don''t care what you lot say - I''m convinced he is the right man for head coach. Butterworth is the man who "should" have been assisting Gunn on the day - unless Gunn was belligerent enough to ignore him, they between them made the mistakes. Gunn couldn''t save us from relegation, and we went down with a whimper - hardly fighting. Position untennable surely.

[quote user="knockin on heavens door"]I''d rather believe yesterday''s Guardian than yesterday''s Mail:[/quote]

You can believe what you want but the papers make their money by making up stories so that punters of particular clubs will buy their papers.

[quote user="knockin on heavens door"]

I''d rather believe yesterday''s Guardian than yesterday''s Mail:

"And having failed to save Norwich City from the drop to League One, caretaker manager and club goalkeeping legend Bryan Gunn is facing the bullet now that Canaries chairman Roger Munby has earmarked Rotherham manager Mark Robins as the man to help the club back on to its Championship perch".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/05/football-transfers-newcastle-birmingham (at the bottom, of course)

[/quote]

You lot make me laugh. [:D] Someone gets a rumour, possibly from this message board, that Robins is the man sends it to the Garuniad then when they post it as a rumour someone posts it back on this board as a fact!

Whats the big chuff about Robins anyway, he is hardly experienced - onlt been doing it two years. If he wasn''t another ex-canary no one would put him forward. After all Rotherham have been a handy team over the last couple of years which is hidden by the number of points they have has deducted. Not sure if their record is anything to do with him

If Robins really is being interviewed for the job then just let him dictate terms, if he''s happy to have Crook and Butters then great, if not then get rid, or let him choose some combination inbetween. We need to be a little bit ruthless here, i''m not saying treat the current management team like muck, but ultimately the furture of the club is on the line, if the board make any more bad decisions then the results could be catastrophic (even more so than they already are!).The board have spent too long reinforcing their past failures by refusing to act decisively until it''s too late, they need to act now to appoint the right man and give him enough time to rebuild the team over the summer break. 

What appears certain is that if Robins takes he job then Deehan will go, if so Gunn could move back into his old post with a handshake and a pat on the back and no loss of face. He was not the man for the job due to his lack of experiecne and he cannot truly be blamed for the situation the club is, the rot runs a lot deeper than the current management team. His loan signings once out of the shadow of Roeder appear to have been pretty good (remember Roeder would have had the final say on any loan or transfer so Gunn cannot be blamed for some of the dross that GR brought into the club), so it would seem that for the moment at least that would be his most appropriate role. That we need a new manger is blatanly obvious and I truly hope that it is Robins.

One thing I would like to say is that I would feel extremely uncomfortable if Gunn were to be sacked by this board, they cannot get away with scapegoating him and letting him reap the fruits of their mistake, however I get the feeling that is exactly what they are planning to do. We cannot be placated by such obvious diversionary tactics and allow them to avoid taking responsibility for our current predicament. If he alone is sacked then nothing changes, I cannot see the situation improving whoever we get in to manage the team if the board remains in its current composition. We need a shake up in the board as well as a new management team, more heads than Gunn''s big bald one must roll!!!!!

I really do hope this is true!He''s done a fantastic job at Rotherham, considering they started the season with minus points! If he did come here, like has been said, I think Crooky and Butterworth will be in his plans, as ex-Norwich players and with a good knowledge of the lower leagues. Either way, changes must happen.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]i think gunny has been harshly treated myself and i would be prepared to give him six months until January to see what he can do with his own team not one inherited from that useless twat Roeder, and i know some people will say that gunny was head of player recruitment but Roeder still only signed the players he wanted, which gunny proved when he took over by getting players in that Roeder had previously turned down (Lee and Gow for example)

tin hat time I''m guessing
[/quote]

I completely agree with what you say. I am sick of the vitriol and unpleasantness aimed at Gunn. I was at the Charlton game and the chants were aimed at the players and the Board but none were aimed at Gunn. All the players should have been "up for it" against Charlton, Reading and Ipswich with zero need to be motivated by any manager but most of them were inherited by Gunn from that so and so Roeder. Significantly, the ones that did play their socks off were players brought in by Gunn. Give him a decent period of time to prove himself, let him have his clear out and let''s see who he brings in and how a team forged by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook performs.

Thing is, I don''t think we really can afford to give him a decent amount of time to see if he can do it.  We need to be knocking on the door for promotion next year or the decline will, in all likelyhood, continue.  What was the point of the short-term contract if he was going to get the job anyway; as has been said before, it''s rewarding failure.  I do agree however, that much of the abuse is unjustified and unfair towards such a top man.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]i think gunny has been harshly treated myself and i would be prepared to give him six months until January to see what he can do with his own team not one inherited from that useless twat Roeder, and i know some people will say that gunny was head of player recruitment but Roeder still only signed the players he wanted, which gunny proved when he took over by getting players in that Roeder had previously turned down (Lee and Gow for example)

tin hat time I''m guessing
[/quote]

I completely agree with what you say. I am sick of the vitriol and unpleasantness aimed at Gunn. I was at the Charlton game and the chants were aimed at the players and the Board but none were aimed at Gunn. All the players should have been "up for it" against Charlton, Reading and Ipswich with zero need to be motivated by any manager but most of them were inherited by Gunn from that so and so Roeder. Significantly, the ones that did play their socks off were players brought in by Gunn. Give him a decent period of time to prove himself, let him have his clear out and let''s see who he brings in and how a team forged by Gunn, Butterworth and Crook performs.

[/quote]

Yes but the whole reason for employing him despite his inexperience was so that he could use his passion for the club to motivate the players and get the best out of them. He was unable to do so in our last three games and the good work he had done up to that point was wasted. Our fate was practically decided by the losses to Ipswich and Reading where the whole team vitually went missing for long periods, properly motivated players should not do that. This is why I don''t believe he''s ready for the job. He was also unable to sufficiently motivate the players for the last game of the season, when there was still a slim hope of salvation and I just don''t think that can be ignored. It didn''t matter in the end but a win would have at least shown that he could put some fire in their bellys and get them to fight fo the right to wear the shirt.

Furthermore I think the only player who started on sunday who Roeader actually signed was Clingan and he has been one of our best players this season. If so (please correct me if i''m wrong), then you cannot really use the argument that it was his predecessors poor signings that were at the root of the apparent lack of effort.

Additionally playing Shackell at left back was one of the strangest formation decisons I have ever seen and as all three of Charlton''s goals came down our left flank it proved to be utterly disastrous. Not only did it limit us defensively as Lloyd Sam ran rings around him, it also meant we had very little attacking outlet down the left as he is not the kind of player to make surging runs and support the left wing. Therefore the only way we could relieve any pressure was through Semmy (who had a shocker) and Korey Smith (who showed his inexperience but was still immense). Lappin would have been a much more sensible choice in the absence of Bertrand and proved to be so when he formation was changed with the introduction of McDonald. 

In the most important game of his career to make such mistakes is unfortunalely inexcusable. I love the bloke he is an absolute legend and I hope he makes it as a manager in the future but if that is what he wants then he needs to go an learn his craft and make his mistakes somewhere else. We have seen our club brought to its lowest point in half a century, I know he is by no means the only person culpable for that, but I don''t think we can afford to let him make any more mistakes 

Robins will want his own coaching staff, possibly bring his assistant or a coach from Rotherham with him if he works well with them.

If gunn goes then we need to find the money to pay off Crook and Butts, find compensation to get Robins and whoever he wants bought in..

can we afford to do this?

what are the financial implications of it?

we need promotion at the first time of asking so whoever the manager is, Gunn, Robins or Gannon they MUST Acheive this.. the board have to be prepared to put up or shut up now.

jas :)

I hope this is NOT true,because if it is then it just goes to show,the boards going no where.