Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

Bring back terracing

One bright spot of being in League One?

I''m sure most people would say this was a distraction from more important matters, and to be honest, I agree.

But I think our relegation has one potential benefit amongst all the depression.

We should apply for a grant from the FA or Football League to trial ''safe standing'' in the lower tier of the Barclay. Because we are in League One, I think I am right in saying that terracing would be legal at Carrow Road. If we installed the safe standing areas that are already used in Germany, it would allow the FA or League to assess whether it is practicable for clubs higher up the league. And then when we are promoted, hopefully we will have proved that terracing can come back.

What a great way to improve the atmosphere at CR, and to make people think that the club is reconnecting with supporters. The genius bit is getting someone else to pay for it.

Terrace the Barclay today!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

One bright spot of being in League One?

I''m sure most people would say this was a distraction from more important matters, and to be honest, I agree.

But I think our relegation has one potential benefit amongst all the depression.

We should apply for a grant from the FA or Football League to trial ''safe standing'' in the lower tier of the Barclay. Because we are in League One, I think I am right in saying that terracing would be legal at Carrow Road. If we installed the safe standing areas that are already used in Germany, it would allow the FA or League to assess whether it is practicable for clubs higher up the league. And then when we are promoted, hopefully we will have proved that terracing can come back.

What a great way to improve the atmosphere at CR, and to make people think that the club is reconnecting with supporters. The genius bit is getting someone else to pay for it.

Terrace the Barclay today!

[/quote]So if, in the unlikely event that we should promote again, can we get another grant to replace the terraces with seats ?

I''m all for standing up at away terraces but I think terracing would make the stadium look tacky and cheap.

Totally disagree with you.

The stats prove that crowd trouble, and accidents have reduced so much since all-seater stadiums were introduced. Why risk people getting hurt just for the slight benefit of few? I know it may not happen, but the RISK is there.

I think if you knew someone that had been affected by the Hillsborough tragedy you would take a different stance - it simply isn''t worth taking the risk with peoples lifes. Life is more important than football - and I would rather sit at games than risk the chance of just 1 person dying somewhere as a result.

[quote]Totally disagree with you.

The stats prove that crowd trouble, and accidents have reduced so much since all-seater stadiums were introduced. Why risk people getting hurt just for the slight benefit of few? I know it may not happen, but the RISK is there.

I think if you knew someone that had been affected by the Hillsborough tragedy you would take a different stance - it simply isn''t worth taking the risk with peoples lifes. Life is more important than football - and I would rather sit at games than risk the chance of just 1 person dying somewhere as a result.[/quote]We are talking about league 1 here, not an FA Cup semi-final.  The massive amount of people in a tiny space that would cause crushing isn''t going to happen.

And wasn''t that also down to (correct me if I''m wrong of course): (a) the fencing which caused people to get crushed in the first place; (b) quite a lot of Liverpool fans trying to get in without tickets; and (c) the police generally behaving like cretins?

I know it is very unlikely, but even if there is a 1% risk - is it really worth it with lives at stake?

Fighting/hooliganism has also reduced dramatically now terracing has gone, I think you''ll find.

[quote user="The Jonas Brother"]I know it is very unlikely, but even if there is a 1% risk - is it really worth it with lives at stake?

Fighting/hooliganism has also reduced dramatically now terracing has gone, I think you''ll find.[/quote]I agree that if it puts people in danger, then it shouldn''t happen.  But I believe that it doesn''t.

I believe some of the League One grounds have terracing so their will be the opportunity to sample that next year. At Charlton everyone was standing and although we all stood within our designated area it still felt a bit uncomforatable - If it was ever bought back it would be very sanitized and I feel more people in the ground join in the singing since the all seater stadium throughout the Lower Barclay and Snake Pit (at Carrow Road) as to before just a small sectionPersonally I wouldn''t want to see terracing back and don''t agree it would help the atmosphere and would just make watching a match more uncomfortable with a potentially worse view - often these calls are from people who didn''t experience terracing when it involve being behind a fence, pushing and shoving and bottom of trouser legs wet with other peoples urine (as recently as 1988) and don''t realise how truly awful it generally was.

Terracing is not unsafe. Bringing the Hillsborough disaster into this is stupid as terracing had nothing to do with the deaths.  Same with hoolaganism, why bring that into it. Terracing going has nothing to do with hoolaganism all but dying.I don''t care about having terracing anyway, just stand anyway.