Sign in to follow this  
BCanary

What mistakes have we the fans made?

Every mistake the board has made over the past couple of years has been highlighted, analysed, dragged through the mill, and talked to death on here.I was just wondering what mistakes us fans have made when it comes to NCFC. Were we wrong to turn on Nigel Worthtington? Everyone says the board were wrong not to sack him sooner, but that''s easier than admitting he shouldn''t have been sacked at all. Or were we wrong to turn on Glenn Roeder? He did pull off a miracle and save us from relegation, he may well have done it a second time. Going back even further, were we wrong to turn on Rober Chase when we did? Were we wrong to boo Iwan Roberts during his first season at the club? Were we wrong to rejoice when Delia and Michael took over?Not all my opinions, just examples, it could be anything.We hate the board when they get it wrong, but are we big enough to hold our hands up and say we were wrong, too?

what difference do we really make?

how did ''turning'' on Roeder really change his status at the club? i bet the media have more impact on board decisions than we do and am fed up with fans thinking they are better than other fans by eating humble pie for some reason which is lacking in fact and depth

no dig at you personally, just failing to see what impact i, as a home season ticket holder who has renewed for next yr, have really done to change anything at the club

Yeh my biggest mistake was turning to my dad 2 years ago during Norwich vs Arniem (Pre season friendly Grant era ) and saying,  i reckon we are going to actually push for the play offsMy 2nd was making a deal with my Exeter supporting mate to go to Wembley to watch the Grecians vs Cambridge in the play off for league 2 status. The deal involved him comming to Wembley to watch Norwich in the play offs this season. Now we will get to actually PLAY vs the Grecians twice.I havent seen them play this season but that play off final was a proper toe punt it up the pitch and run onto it sunday league affair !!

It wasn''t really about what impact we make. Whether our opinions make a difference or not is irrelevent. I was just interested in people''s opinions because most of the messages on this forum at the minute are, rightly so, about what the club has done wrong and what mistakes have been made - Lots of us slag off the manager or board and present our opinions with the benefit of hindsight, but it doesn''t mean we''re always right.I for example, quite liked the 1992/93 season shirts at the time. Now I realise this was a mistake.

Putting up with the crap we''ve been served up the last 4 years.

Buying 18,000 season tickets maybe

Not being militant enough to make a difference

Wow, how long have I got, and how many times can I change my mind in the future?

I do regret some involvement against my better judgement in various protests over the years, but will use the excuse of extreme passion getting the better of me. Sometimes the heart does rule the head. I have been in danger of physical injury and attack (and not just from mounted police). I have put my children in danger while they attended such protests with me which I regret deeply.

I am older now and more reluctant to stand outside anywhere and either give out or take insults for the sake of it, as I have got older I have learnt that debate and constructive criticism may be suits me better. That doesn''t mean I will never protest again, but probably only as a last resort.

One thing I am sure I am not wrong about is watching the continued decline of our club and wondering what I can do to help stop that slide. For my sins I have tried to get involved with other concerned fans, this may do some good, it may not, at least I can live with myself in the end and tell myself I have tried to make a difference.

It''s sad really, that we can''t just go to a match and expect to walk away again afterwards satisfied all is well. Some of us can maybe, not me.

As to season tickets, I have boycotted before (Chase era) stood outside the ground while others were inside and took all kinds of "viewpoints". It toughens you up, that''s for sure. I have wept while doing it, and wished more than anything our club wasn''t in constant battle with itself.

I have had false faith in the board of directors for assuming that they would move the club upwards when the opportunity developed and been bitterly disappointed, perhaps then my expectation are just too high?

Anyone else going to bear their soul?

Overall i believe the fans have alot to answer to, we were in an excellent position under the leadership of Worthington, yes he was boring at times, yes he appeared to make some strange tactical choices, but he did get us promoted and gave this club hope and an expectation. we need to remember we are not a "big" club and never will be unless some thing drastic happens.

It all went wrong when Worthington signed Dion, why are we signing a "has been" was said,(rubbish signing!!!!!) instead of giving him the benifit of the doubt every thing from then on was critised, and things escaleted from there, i still believe to this day that the "speady eddie" of worthington we would be in a far better position and even a premiship club, or at least be at the right end of the table.

But i do maintain Doncaster should have left his post in the time, and do not believe he has helped any manager.

I have made the mistake of sticking with NCFC instead of being yet another sad armchair supporter of Manure, Chelski, the Scousers or Arsenil. You could all save yourselves a lot of heartache, and money, by following the Red Devils, or one of those other big clubs from the comfort of your settee or bar stool. You know it makes sense, LOL.