Sign in to follow this  
cockers85

Stop Gunn bashing

I just want to come to the defence of Gunny as I''ve noticed some people posting on here are giving him an unnecessarily hard time. Obviously he diserves some criticism given the current situation, but people questioning his status as a true Norwich legend and his commitment to the club are fickle and idiotic beyond beleif.

In this day and age it is unbelievably rare to find people working at football clubs who are truely passionate about them. This includes players, manager, board members or coaching staff, given how money driven the game is actual love for a team is given a backseat. When he retired he could have gone off done his badges and attempted a career in more appealing roles in managment and coaching e.g. Bowen, Culverhouse, Robins, Crook, Butterworth etc. Instead he stayed at the club he loves a worked in much more uninteresting roles like head of advertsing and player recruitment. Although i cant say for sure he would have been successful moving away from Norwich or that any oppotunites like that would have been offered to him, i know for a fact he stayed because of his loyalty to NCFC and that he wanted to be involved in anyway he could.

The board appointing him was obviously unsuccessful, they seemed to think it would have the ''Alan Shearer at Newcastle'' affect to galvanize the club. It didnt, it was the cheap option. Nevertheless he did what he could with a poor, uninterested, out of form squad and with little to no experience of team managment.

If you look at the satff and players he brought in it is not difficult to see what his philosophy was. Crook and Butterworth, NCFC people with good league coaching experience. Lee wanted to come to the club and always looked commited (i''ve never a seen a player so soaked in sweat as he was at the Reading game). Although Shaks was another loan, he owes alot to the club and was solid. McDonald was given his chance and always looked commited and eager to impress, whether he has the talent or not we will see next year. He also gave the young players a chance.  To me it seemed like with the limited resources he had he was briniging in the right type of people with the right attitude and for me attitude and commitment was the main thing missing in the squad. Obviously it was unsuccessful and i personally dont want him to keep the job either. The fact is the board put him there, in the deep end, mean the blame predominatly lyes with them. Gunn went about it with the right intentions and the right way, but jus lacked the managirial talent and experience to pull it off.

Jus my opinion...

I take your points completely, but as you say, he lacks the managerial talent and experience to sort it out. Why doesn''t he just realise this and stand down, instead of his campaign to keep the job?

Gunn went about it with the right intentions and the right way, but jus lacked the managirial talent and experience to pull it off

The road to League 1 is paved with good intentions.  I agree that some people have been particularly disparaging about BG and some of the criticism has gotten personal which it never should but he knew this was part of the job when he took it and certainly knew this when he started campaigning for the job full time.

I think he is stronger than most and takes this rubbish on the chin.

People are (justifiably) very angry at the moment that our club has been allowed to slide to its lowest ebb for nearly 50 years, and many of them must fear that things could get worse before they get better; therefore everybody who is perceived to be responsible for our demise, from the players to Gunny, to the board of directors is bound to come in for a lot of flak at the moment - and deservedly so!

If he is confirmed in the job and is given a contract for the whole of next season then he will prove to be a good manager for us. Mark my words.

I agree, he has a thick skin, but what is most annoying is a lot of people cannot understand that lots of people want him to carry on, and for that, the abuse they get is outrageous. There is no respect for other peoples opinions on here lately and that''s a shame. Whatever you think, verbally abusing Gunn and Delia is just not on.  Especially when its not backed up by facts and credibility. When a reasoned argument is presented minus the volatile benevolence, that''s different. I love nothing more than reading a different opinion that''s well reasoned, but messages of one line calling people names are just lame. Different opinions are what sets us apart from fundamental lunatics like those in Iran and Afghanistan. Nasty uncivilized abuse doesn''t.

Now if these folks would only turn that anger towards Gordon Brown.

Up the City.

[quote user="shyster"][quote]Mark my words.[/quote]

Okay -- 0 out of 10.
[/quote]

Oh, you wag. Just remember my words.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

[quote user="shyster"][quote]Mark my words.[/quote]

Okay -- 0 out of 10.[/quote]

Oh, you wag. Just remember my words.

[/quote]pah, as if he could pull a footballer...

If he is confirmed in the job and is given a contract for the whole of next season then he will prove to be a good manager for us. Mark my words.

[/quote] No he wont , he is so far out of his depth its a wonder he hasnt drowned yet . Worst manager in the history of Norwich City .

[/quote]

If this happens I will take a knife to my wrists. Ok too far, but I will be very very unhappy.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Lord Snooty"]

[/quote] No he wont , he is so far out of his depth its a wonder he hasnt drowned yet . Worst manager in the history of Norwich City .[/quote]I''m sure Peter Grant and Jim Duffy would have something to say about that!REALLY don''t want him in charge though

Cheers for the constructive responses. Im not saying he did a great job or that he should be the manager, just that he is loyal and norwich ledgend and people who aimlessly have a go at him and are abusive are idiots that dont deserve to be considered norwich fans.

I agree that no one should question his loyalty or passion for the club. I haven''t seen many people do that.

But nor have I seen a convincing reason that he should stay on, beyond his passion for the club. And if that''s the only criterion, then I could do it.

[quote user="cockers85"]Cheers for the constructive responses. Im not saying he did a great job or that he should be the manager, just that he is loyal and norwich ledgend and people who aimlessly have a go at him and are abusive are idiots that dont deserve to be considered norwich fans.[/quote] And can Mr Gunn claim to have Norwich at heart when he wants to lumber the club with a truly awful manager at this point in time  ?

[quote user="cockers85"]Cheers for the constructive responses. Im not saying he did a great job or that he should be the manager, just that he is loyal and norwich ledgend and people who aimlessly have a go at him and are abusive are idiots that dont deserve to be considered norwich fans.[/quote]Charlton 4 Norwich 2. That''s Charlton who, need I remind you, finished bottom of the league by a country mile.  Is that good enough for you ?  Loyalty is one thing, but when it is mis-placed in someone who sadly lacks the ability to do the job, that''s a totally different thing.  I''d like nothing more than Bryan Gunn to have been a successful manager this past season.  He wasn''t though, so can we risk giving him longer ?

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="Lord Snooty"]

[/quote] No he wont , he is so far out of his depth its a wonder he hasnt drowned yet . Worst manager in the history of Norwich City .
[/quote]

Blimey, that''s what I call hyperbolic ergo "bollox". He took over a team which was nosediving down the table just a few days before the transfer deadline. What was it, 3 points from 18 in the previous six games and a complete no show against Charlton in the FA Cup ? The stench of years of negligence and the bile of Roeder pervading Carrow Road and Colney like a thick, toxic fog, a clueless owner, a totally self-serving and incompetent Board, a debt in excess of £20 million, God knows how many loan players, Hucks and Shackell dispensed with, morale ripped to shreds. What a massive challenge for any manager. Gunn provided immediate stability and continuity, he quickly brought in Butterworth and Crook, made some shrewd signings, got rid of the unhappy camper Lupoli, brought back Cureton (whose goals had already by then gained 4 points for Barnsley) but, sadly, the rot was so deepset that the underlying downward trend could not be reversed and we were relegated. In my opinion , Gunn is the last person to be blamed for our ultimate demise and to state with such breathtaking conviction that he "was so far out of his depth and he is the worst manager in our history" is unbelievably unjustified and inaccurate.

Took over a team 2 points above the drop zone and took it to 5 points adrift Shipped out Lupoli and brought back CuretonMost of the players at the club were his finds anyway he was head of player rcruitmentLost more must win matches than most people have hot dinnersIs tactically ineptCould not get HIS team to play for HIM had as many no shows as the previous two managersAfter match interviews consisted of theres x amount of games left we have to keep hoping Bryan Gunn is not a manager and should go back to putting posters up instead of making this club look like a laughing stock .

"The board appointing him was obviously unsuccessful, they seemed to think it would have the ''Alan Shearer at Newcastle'' affect to galvanize the club. It didnt, it was the cheap option. Nevertheless he did what he could with a poor, uninterested, out of form squad and with little to no experience of team managment."

Um, sorry mate but Shearer was actually appointed several weeks after Gunn.....

I have defended him from the personal insults but I still believe that he is not the right man for the job. His tactical decisions have shown a lack of competence (Shackell at left back against Charlton??? Carney on the right against Watford and Reading???) and he also been unable motivate the team, the whole reason that he was appointed in the first place. He needs to step aside and let someone with more experience and competence take over. Remember even Grant who was awful had coaching experience, Gunn when appointed had none whatsoever. If he wants to be a manager then he needs to go and get the badges and learn his trade, be it at Norwich as part of the coaching staff or somewhere else. I just don''t think on the evidence of the last few games that at the moment Gunn has what it takes to win us promotion, he may do in the future but I don''t think we have the time to allow him that luxury. I''m not insulting him just expressing my opinion of how the team has played under his leadership. 

I blame Gunn for relegation definitely

It was most definitely his team he put out through his 10match tenure

He constantly got it wrong from the start, or was out thought by opposition managers through a game being either unwilling or unable to effect changes himself

The impact of his "arrival" on the players was actually the relief of Roeder''s departure, as soon as it fell on his shoulders to show tactical nouse and experience he was found, sadly, lacking.  It is imperitive we bounce back from League 1 and he does not have the pedigree to do this.  Shackell left back on a day when the integrity of our back 4 was imperitive for us to have any chance of survival should draw a line under his short & disasterous tenure

"The board appointing him was obviously unsuccessful, they seemed to think it would have the ''Alan Shearer at Newcastle'' affect to galvanize the club. It didnt, it was the cheap option. Nevertheless he did what he could with a poor, uninterested, out of form squad and with little to no experience of team managment."

Um, sorry mate but Shearer was actually appointed several weeks after Gunn.....

I have defended him from the personal insults but I still believe that he is not the right man for the job. His tactical decisions have shown a lack of competence (Shackell at left back against Charlton??? Carney on the right against Watford and Reading???) and he has also been unable motivate the team, the whole reason that he was appointed in the first place. He needs to step aside and let someone with more experience and competence take over. Remember even Grant who was awful had coaching experience, Gunn when appointed had none whatsoever. If he wants to be a manager then he needs to go and get the badges and learn his trade, be it at Norwich as part of the coaching staff or somewhere else. I just don''t think on the evidence of the last few games that at the moment Gunn has what it takes to win us promotion, he may do in the future but I don''t think we have the time to allow him the luxury of making too many more mistakes. I''m not insulting him just expressing my opinion of how the team has played under his leadership. 

I agree with the theme of this post. I will be horrified if he gets the job but some of the posts saying people hate him or taking the mickey out of him are below the belt. When this is all over he will still be one of our greatest players and a lovely guy so people should lay off the personal stuff!

I agree with a a lot of that. Not many around with his drive and determination to do the best for NCFC. He has an understanding of the club. A new guy would have to start from scratch and upset the apple cart again, youth players axed, new coaches. Never worked for us. All successful managers come from within with an understanding of the resources and what there already. Worthington, Walker, Stringer, Brown. Gunn may lack experience but he has played the game at the highest level and 500 times for City. All managers start somewhere. His points per game total was better than Roeder''s in less games and he had no time to build his own team. He certainly wont settle for a lack of effort. See Fotheringham for an example of that.

-Bigus.

[quote user="canaryspike7"]Couldnt be bothered to read your long post. Gunn Out!!![/quote]

he he this just cracked me up!

If Gunn was pasionate about the club, he would do the decent thing and step down!

[quote user="Bigus"]His points per game total was better than Roeder''s in less games and he had no time to build his own team.[/quote]

Yeah, by 0.09 points.