Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Your ins and outs

There are players i wouldnt want to see playing for norwich anymore such as Otsemobor, but i dont actually know who we could attract instead.

Lee and Shackell, if they were cheap, i would buy.

It''s probably easier to say who we would rather keep than get rid of as there are plenty I would be happy never to see in a Norwich shirt again.

Would like to keep Clingan and McDonald and um.......... um.......... um.........

I would:

1. Sell Clingan and Marshall for as much as I can get.

2. Keep Lappin, Russell and Doherty as I think they could be useful in league 1 and we will need some experience alongside the kids. I would also keep Cureton. If we can persuade him and his wages are not too big I would also keep Hooly but think chances are very slim!

3. Bring in Lee to play up front with Cody.

4. Get rid of all the rest/allow them to return to their own clubs.

5. Bring back in Martin and Spillane.

6. Try and bring in 2 (max) experienced loan players to give a bit of extra mettle/quality.

7. Try and pick up 2 or 3 up an coming players from league 1/league 2 who would still see moving to a club like Norwich as a big move for them.

8. Get Hucks back at Christmas for 25 minute cameos at the end of games.

Without new signings (except Lee) I would envisage a team along the lines of:

Rudd

Smith, Doherty, Spillane, Lappin

A.N. Other, Russell, Adeyemi, Hoolahan

Macdonald, Lee

Two good options immediately would be Tommy Rowe of Stockport and Neil Austin of Darlington. Both promising younger players who made it into their leagues team of the season and playing for teams in administration so most offers will be accepted. A left winger for when Wes goes and a right back to oust Semi. Will need to move quickly though which has never been our forte.

I would say the team next year (from existing players only) will look something like this:

Macdonald       Cureton

Lappin                 Russell              Pattison              Smith

Drury                   Stefanovic        Spillane               Otsemobor

Nelson

Subs: Cort, Martin, Adeyemi, Lathrope, Rudd

I can''t see Marshall staying (although his comments suggest otherwise), as I would expect the board would need to make cuts somewhere. Also we can sadly say goodbye to Croft, Clingan and Hoolahan. If we can hold on to one of those four, we should try and hold on to Clingan, as he is a proven top-class League One player.

It would be good to keep hold of Doherty, as he would be immense in League One, but I would imagine he will probably be sold.

I think Otsemobor could come good in League One - last time he was in this division, with Crewe, he was part of the team of the season.

Pattison is the kind of player we need for League One.

Martin and Spillane should also be battle-hardened from Luton, and I expect them to be regulars next season.

Maybe Cureton will find his level in league one? I wouldn''t bet against it.

We''re stuck with a handful of good, but injury-prone players: Drury, Cort and Stefanovic are all arguably too good for League One, but we can''t rely on them to remain injury-free in a more physical division. So we need to look at finding a new left-back, target man and centre back (assuming Doherty leaves). Lee would be an obvious target man choice, and it sounds like he wants to come here. But can we afford him?

Aside from that, all-round cover is required. Let''s not get loans, but instead bring in some young, hungry players in the Cody Macdonald mould. It wouldn''t harm to get a Dion Dublin-type old head in around the place as well, particularly as I can''t see any natural leaders amongst the current bunch.

There''s always going to be the shadow of a certain Mr Huckerby over the close-season. I think we need to lay this one to rest quickly. The powers that be and Hucks need to decide asap: Will he come or not? Otherwise it will hamstring all other attempts to improve the squad.

Any thoughts?

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]

I would say the team next year (from existing players only) will look something like this:

Macdonald       Cureton

Nelson

I can''t see Marshall staying (although his comments suggest otherwise), as I would expect the board would need to make cuts somewhere. Also we can sadly say goodbye to Croft, Clingan and Hoolahan. If we can hold on to one of those four, we should try and hold on to Clingan, as he is a proven top-class League One player.

It would be good to keep hold of Doherty, as he would be immense in League One, but I would imagine he will probably be sold.

I think Otsemobor could come good in League One - last time he was in this division, with Crewe, he was part of the team of the season.

Martin and Spillane should also be battle-hardened from Luton, and I expect them to be regulars next season.

We''re stuck with a handful of good, but injury-prone players: Drury, Cort and Stefanovic are all arguably too good for League One, but we can''t rely on them to remain injury-free in a more physical division. So we need to look at finding a new left-back, target man and centre back (assuming Doherty leaves). Lee would be an obvious target man choice, and it sounds like he wants to come here. But can we afford him?

Aside from that, all-round cover is required. Let''s not get loans, but instead bring in some young, hungry players in the Cody Macdonald mould. It wouldn''t harm to get a Dion Dublin-type old head in around the place as well, particularly as I can''t see any natural leaders amongst the current bunch.

There''s always going to be the shadow of a certain Mr Huckerby over the close-season. I think we need to lay this one to rest quickly. The powers that be and Hucks need to decide asap: Will he come or not? Otherwise it will hamstring all other attempts to improve the squad.

Any thoughts?

[/quote] Bottom half , probably relegated again with a side like that.

Ins: Shackell, Lee another two central midfielders, two new right wingers and another fox in the box striker.

Outs: Pattison, Marshall, Clingan, Croft

Dream signing: would be Leroy Lita, but he won''t come to play in league one. But we will need that sort of player.

Need to keep hold of Carl Cort, he is due a good season and having seen him for a year at Wimbledon I know just how much quality he has. All he lacks right now in confidence which a good run in league 1 could reestablish.
Simon King from Gillingham would be a great singing and would be perfectly suited to sit alongside Doherty at the back.
Sell off the likes of Clingan and Croft for as much as possible, but it has to be reinvested.

[quote user="Dictator Smith"][quote user="Kolin Kob"]

Macdonald       Cureton

Nelson

Any thoughts?

[/quote] Bottom half , probably relegated again with a side like that.
[/quote]

I agree it''s not ideal, but bear in mind this is a team made up only of players that will probably stay.I haven''t included any players potentially coming in, and of course this does not look like a promotion-winning League Two side.  I don''t agree that this would be a League One relegation team though.

However, add Lee to the mix, plus a host of other new players, and we could well be promoted. I think the key thing is that we make an effort to build a team around some existing players, despite the temptation to get rid of everyone associated with this debacle of a season. Without some degree of continuity, we won''t get playing properly until about mid-season! And so I think there will be a large part to play from the likes of Stefanovic, Cureton, Lappin, Drury, Russell, Pattison. Are they up to the job of having a team built around them? Maybe, but I''m not sure. We need to at least try, as I can''t see us progressing otherwise. We''re not going to be able to attract some super-manager who can build a promotion-winning squad from scratch, so we have to work with the players we have to some extent. Part of the problem over the last two years has been rapid turnover of players, so that the players never managed to play as a team. We have to learn from this mistake, but it will be difficult considering how many want-aways there are likely to be, and considering half our team is leaving this season, as they were only loanees.

[quote user="West Ham Canary"]Need to keep hold of Carl Cort, he is due a good season and having seen him for a year at Wimbledon I know just how much quality he has. All he lacks right now in confidence which a good run in league 1 could reestablish.
Simon King from Gillingham would be a great singing and would be perfectly suited to sit alongside Doherty at the back.
Sell off the likes of Clingan and Croft for as much as possible, but it has to be reinvested.[/quote]

We can''t rely on him though. I think a one-year contract, or pay-as-you-play, would be ideal.

With Stefanovic and Drury often injured as well, we need to make sure we don''t build a squad around players who are likely to spend more time with the physio than on the pitch.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]

[/quote]

I would.

He''s another year older.

And it doesn''t matter what league he''s in, he''s still going to be short, slow and lazy.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Ins: Shackell, Lee another two central midfielders, two new right wingers and another fox in the box striker. Outs: Pattison, Marshall, Clingan, Croft Dream signing: would be Leroy Lita, but he won''t come to play in league one. But we will need that sort of player.[/quote]

I can''t see us managing to sign Shackell permanently - I think McCarthy would want to recoup more of the money he paid for him. However, do you think there might be a chance of getting him on a season-long loan? It might suit both parties - if Wolves come straight back down, they can have him back, and if Norwich come straight up they could buy him straight after, if Wolves still wanted to sell. I think this is the kind of deal we need to sort out sooner than later, as other clubs will be sniffing around, but it''s going to be difficult when we haven''t got a manager! We need to sort this soon!

I disagree with getting rid of Pattison. I think he''s a battler, and just the kind of player we need in League One.

As for the fox in the box striker, let''s hope this is what Chris Martin returns as!

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Kolin Kob"]

[/quote]

I would.

And it doesn''t matter what league he''s in, he''s still going to be short, slow and lazy.

[/quote]

I don''t think he''s a lazy player. I think he''s always played well in League One, or whatever it''s been called. And I don''t think he''s the kind of player that is going to lose much with age. It''s not like he''s got any pace to lose!! Besides, he''s the same age as Huckerby!

Marshall - good shot stopper - but like greeno - doesn''t dominate his

area - weak on set pieces...VERDICT - CASH IN AND SELLOtsemobor

- runs like the wind - but stands off too far and loses concentration -

also he tackles like a girl...unreliable...VERDICT - SELLDoherty

- will do a decent job - but has looked cr@p since jan - shax has been

head and shoulders above the doc...VERDICT - RETAIN ON BENCHDrury - too injury prone and expensive - luxury we can''t afford...VERDICT - GET RID ASAPStefanovic - SEE ABOVE (IN SPADES) - VERDICT - GET RID ASAPCroft - THIS BIRD HAS PROBABLY ALREADY FLOWN...Russell

- perfect now for league 1 - will do well - VERDICT KEEP - BARTER DOWN

HIS SALARY WTH EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL COS OF HIS RED CARDS...Clinghan - CLINKERS WILL WANT TO STAY IN CHAMPS AT LEAST...VERDICT - CASH IN AND SELL...Hoolahan - too inconsistent - but will want to stay in the champs - VERDICT - CASH IN AND SELLLappin - lets hope he finally f****s off our wage bill - VERDICT - GET RID YESTERDAYPattison

- good enough for league 1 - but will he accept lower salary???  -

VERDICT - IF HE WON''T COME DOWN ON HIS WAGE - GET RID PRONTO...Cureton - ta ta VERDICT - RELEASE PDQCort - who??? - VERDICT - SEND THE **** BACK TO SPANISH LEAGUE 2...McDonald - had defo promise - VERDICT RETAINlee

- can the boy score 20 goals??? worried that he blows like a porker

after 20 mins on the pitch - are his legs going,,,going,,,gone??? 

VERDICT - UNDECIDED...martin - bring the boy back and see how he does pre-season - VERDICT - ONE FOR THE BENCH/SQUADspillane

- had good reviews at luton - ditto above - VERDICT - ONE FOR THE

BENCH/STARTING 11 (depending on how he shapes up pre-season)...

GUNNY - JUST GO MATE - FFS...OVERALL VERDICT - NOT LOOKING GOOD...Crying [:''(]

lucky green trainers.......good idea...........release and sell everybody :S :S

we have to try to retain most of the squad we can possible and try to push on.

selling everybody isnt the answer, same with roeder, look whats happened now !

[quote user="Bryan Bryan Gunn"]

lucky green trainers.......good idea...........release and sell everybody :S :S

we have to try to retain most of the squad we can possible and try to push on.

selling everybody isnt the answer, same with roeder, look whats happened now !

[/quote]most of our squad are tosh - and the good''uns will want to move on - i''d love to have clinkers and shax here next term - but i''m being realistic when i say they will probably want to play in the champs - and for sure we can''t afford to pay good money for the other washed up injury prone suspects - so yeah - get rid i say - but try to keep the good''uns if we can...and if we can''t put the money we get for selling into the side - but can you honestly see even that happening???not on past record - so no...roedy gambled on ''prem/champs inbetweenies'' - but didn''t have the coin to do the job properly - so he took gambles on players with dogey injury records, older players -  young raw players - or who had issues at their clubs problems///i don''t know fudge all about league 1  - do you???and neither does gunny...i suggest it makes sense to get a seasoned head in who knows how to create a winning team in this league - and give him enough coin to reasonably do the job - while allowing him to get rid of the dead wood - and there''s plenty of that...how does that sound???

yes we have underachieved this season, and the players have been poor, but what else are we going to do.

sell everybody and start again ? it just wont happen.

clingan hoolahan croft will move on for there careers.

marshall and some other high wage players will be sold even if they want to stay.

the rest will stay, its the simple case.

the board will look at it from a business point of view, and not from a football point of view.

its all just very sad

[quote user="Northern Canary"]

There are players i wouldnt want to see playing for norwich anymore such as Otsemobor, but i dont actually know who we could attract instead.

[/quote]Shackell walked past and someone asked "whats the chances of you staying Jason?". His reply was "very, very slim".

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Northern Canary"]

[/quote]Shackell walked past and someone asked "whats the chances of you staying Jason?". His reply was "very, very slim".[/quote]he''s still got 3 years left at wolves on a contract paying shed loads...why would he take a 50-70% pay cut...

[quote user="Kolin Kob"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Kolin Kob"]

[/quote]

I would.

[/quote]

I don''t think he''s a lazy player. I think he''s always played well in League One, or whatever it''s been called. And I don''t think he''s the kind of player that is going to lose much with age. It''s not like he''s got any pace to lose!! Besides, he''s the same age as Huckerby!

[/quote]

He is a lazy player. Really lazy.

Back in his better days he was a decent goal scorer at the lower levels but he''s well past his best and his best wasn''t much to get excitied about.. 

He''s not going to lose much because...there isn''t a lot to lose. He might be the same age as Huckerby but Huckerby is a million times the player that Jamie Cureton will ever be.

[quote user="Bryan Bryan Gunn"]

yes we have underachieved this season, and the players have been poor, but what else are we going to do.

sell everybody and start again ? it just wont happen.

clingan hoolahan croft will move on for there careers.

marshall and some other high wage players will be sold even if they want to stay.

the rest will stay, its the simple case.

the board will look at it from a business point of view, and not from a football point of view.

its all just very sad

[/quote]its more than that BBG - its all very **** and even if what you say is true (and given our past efforts is probably so) what hope do we have for next season...we''re down before we even start...[:''(]attitudes need to change - and we need winners on the board at carra rd to give a proper lead///but i guess we will need to endure another season of dross,,,blather and blither before a proper rebuilding can occur... 

I don''t know why so many of you want to keep Russell. I don''t buy the logic that players who have been crap this season will "find their level" in League 1, because how far are we prepared to drop to make some of this shower of shit look good. Russell contributes nothing at all, and he''s gone backwards since he first broke in to the team. He doesn''t get forward and hurt teams, he can''t play anything other than a simple 10 yard pass, and he runs around like a headless chicken constantly arguing with referees and getting himself suspended. Other teams must love playing against him because he''s no threat and a constant liability, yet some of our supporters seem to mistake this for being "committed." He also strikes me as being a bit of a knob. He''s not a disgrace of an Otsemobor type magnitude but he''s plainly not good enough and needs to go.

You used the ''L'' word! no more loans please, especially in defence. Besides, we need to re-jig our defensive pairing - we''ve conceded far too many goals over the last few seasons with doc and shacks. I still don''t think they''re good enough together. Well, maybe they''re good enough to be a league one pairing.

On a brighter note, now that we''ve dropped a league - maybe our recruitment policies will change. We might see hungry young''uns like Cody give it a real good crack. This would definitely make a change from seeing dozens of not-quite-good-enough-for-the-premiership players trying to use our club as a springboard for their ailing premiership careers. Most of the players we''ve taken on board, be it loan or otherwise, have dropped down a league to grace our lovely turf - I''d be quite keen to see a reversal in this trend and see players who are on their way up in the game.

Also, I really believe we must consolidate the spine of or team. That is, the goalie, to centre halves, two centre midfielders and two strikers. We must own these players. We need a core that is given time to gel, to understand each other''s thinking. Watching us play on Monday, it seemed that we lacked the cohesion we needed to take the game to Charlton.

The core of the team is undoubtedly going to change over the summer. Clingan will go, Marshall might well go, Shacks is technically a Wolves player again now and the identity of our strike force is, apart from Cody, largely undecided. Some clever maneuvering in the transfer window is required.

I just hope that the scouting team did their research before the season ended and know who they''re going for.

[quote user="bleach"]

You used the ''L'' word! no more loans please, especially in defence. Besides, we need to re-jig our defensive pairing - we''ve conceded far too many goals over the last few seasons with doc and shacks. I still don''t think they''re good enough together. Well, maybe they''re good enough to be a league one pairing.

On a brighter note, now that we''ve dropped a league - maybe our recruitment policies will change. We might see hungry young''uns like Cody give it a real good crack. This would definitely make a change from seeing dozens of not-quite-good-enough-for-the-premiership players trying to use our club as a springboard for their ailing premiership careers. Most of the players we''ve taken on board, be it loan or otherwise, have dropped down a league to grace our lovely turf - I''d be quite keen to see a reversal in this trend and see players who are on their way up in the game.

Also, I really believe we must consolidate the spine of or team. That is, the goalie, to centre halves, two centre midfielders and two strikers. We must own these players. We need a core that is given time to gel, to understand each other''s thinking. Watching us play on Monday, it seemed that we lacked the cohesion we needed to take the game to Charlton.

The core of the team is undoubtedly going to change over the summer. Clingan will go, Marshall might well go, Shacks is technically a Wolves player again now and the identity of our strike force is, apart from Cody, largely undecided. Some clever maneuvering in the transfer window is required.

I just hope that the scouting team did their research before the season ended and know who they''re going for.

[/quote]yep - the core that will be left after sales/want away players will be thin on the ground...is the doc/rusty/lee core good enough for a league 1 promotion top4/6 challenge???

League One Team 2009-10:

Marshall

New RB            Doherty                 Stefanovic            Drury

Otsemobor         Russell                    Spillane             Pattison

McDonald             Lee

Rest of squad:
J. Cureton
D. Rudd
K. Smith
C. Martin
K. Renton
D. Stephens
L. Daley
T. Adeyemi
S. Nelson
S. Lappin

Obviously Lee comes in from Palace, although I''m assuming money will be made available from the Clingan/Hoolahan transfers. You''ll notice that I''ve moved Jon Otsemobor forward, and as such, removes any sort of defensive responsibility. I believe this would be a great move for us, as it stops him being caught out repeatedly, and we can use his pace to get forward on the attack. His limited defensive ability has been shown up this season, but how many League One left backs are going to be faster than him? I''ve also offered Simon Lappin a new contract. As terrible as he played against Charlton, I still think he has some quality about him. An air of professionalism after the way he was treated.

Any sort of injuries are going to be our downfall, having to fill gaps with either youth or stop-gap players. Although the youth lads could flourish in a team that will be playing their sort of level of opposition. As the Players develop, the club will undoubtedly get better. Onwards and Upwards.

As for other players in, I think we should be trying to buy some bigger, stronger players than the amount of pansies we''ve seen this season (Hoolahan and the like). Someone with the Stamina, Strength and Defensive Capabilities of Gary Holt (version 2003/04). An Ideal list would include (Please bear in mind this will be very optimistic, and we wont get everyone):

Alan Lee - between Free and £500,000 - Crystal Palace may not want him if they''re going to be going for the Premier League.
Darren Purse - between Free and £500,000 - Cardiff possibly need to get him off the wage bill before Peter Ridsdale drills them into the floor financially.
Freddy Eastwood - A player who has failed to cut it in the Championship, and publically lambasted by manager Chris Coleman, Mr Eastwood may well be looking for a new club come the summer. We''d be the right size of club for him, and maybe we could get rid of Cureton and free up some funds? Not sure how much they paid for him, but I''d imagine they''ll want most of it back.
A new Right back is a must, so maybe someone out of contract from a Premier League youth system? We''ve already seen what Middlesbrough can produce with the likes of Matt Bates and Johnny Grounds, surely there are some not so good players there? Alternatively, we could re-sign Andy Hughes...

Free transfers are looking like a must, but I haven''t been through everyone who''s contract is up in the entire league system... Yet...

Hopefully the exclusive set to be announced tomorrow is that Michael and Delia had some tickets for the Euromillions they hadn''t checked...

OTBC

Many of the posts have said that we need to sell this player and that player so that we can reinvest ........ have we really thought that perhaps not too many people will want to buy too many of our players?

It may be very difficult offloading the players that we need to offload and we could be left with a lot of players who have proved this season that they simply are not good enough ...... not even for League One! There goes the wage bill again!

[quote user="MyGodThisIsRubbish"]

A new Right back is a must, so maybe someone out of contract from a Premier League youth system? We''ve already seen what Middlesbrough can produce with the likes of Matt Bates and Johnny Grounds, surely there are some not so good players there? Alternatively, we could re-sign Andy Hughes...

[/quote]For a moment there you sounded like you knew what you were talking about! Andy Hughes???!!!??? [:D][:)][:)][:D]