Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

The Most Unpopular Post of the Year - My View

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

Places such as King''s Lynn are not very local (because it''s over an hour away from Norwich) and closer to Peterborough who now have a Championship club and Boston Utd who were a league club not so long ago.

[/quote]

Tom earlier in this thread when it suited your argument you ''claimed'' Kings Lynn for its speedway and now you say it''s ''not very local''.

This is exactly why posters are accusing you of wheeling and spinning the facts and stats to suit.

[/quote]

I was discussing the areas as given by the poster who compared Bristol with the whole of Norfolk. King''s Lynn isn''t very local to Norwich IMHO as it is over an hour away.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

Places such as King''s Lynn are not very local (because it''s over an hour away from Norwich) and closer to Peterborough who now have a Championship club and Boston Utd who were a league club not so long ago.

[/quote]

Tom earlier in this thread when it suited your argument you ''claimed'' Kings Lynn for its speedway and now you say it''s ''not very local''.

This is exactly why posters are accusing you of wheeling and spinning the facts and stats to suit.

[/quote]

I was discussing the areas as given by the poster who compared Bristol with the whole of Norfolk. King''s Lynn isn''t very local to Norwich IMHO as it is over an hour away.

[/quote]

Of couse it is, if you live in Kings Lyn who are you most likely to support? Why can''t you accept that Norwich has a bigger catchment area than most clubs? Thus meaning the potential is there, this spin nonsense is getting boring now, give it up Doncaster!

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]Why can''t you accept that Norwich has a bigger catchment area than most clubs? Thus meaning the potential is there, this spin nonsense is getting boring now, give it up Doncaster! [/quote]What do you mean by bigger than most clubs? Top 10, top 20, top 30, top 40?

[quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of couse it is, if you live in Kings Lyn who are you most likely to support?

[/quote]

King''s Lynn FC. Population of King''s Lynn = 34,564. Average attendance = 986. Peterborough Utd are the nearest football league club to King''s Lynn and PUFC will be playing in the Championship next season.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

King''s Lynn FC. Population of King''s Lynn = 34,564. Average attendance = 986. Peterborough Utd are the nearest football league club to King''s Lynn and PUFC will be playing in the Championship next season.

[/quote]

Up untill recently Peterborough United have been playing most of their clubs entire history in the 3rd and 4th tier of English football, thus making Norwich the far more attractive and obvious choice for people who may be located between Norwich and Peterborugh, so with all do respect to them they have never been a threat to us in terms of battleing for supporters in the Norfolk and Suffolk region, surely that is obvious? As usual tom your argument is flawed, now give it it a rest aye?

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="West_London_Canary"]

Why can''t you accept that Norwich has a bigger catchment area than most clubs? Thus meaning the potential is there, this spin nonsense is getting boring now, give it up Doncaster! [/quote]

What do you mean by bigger than most clubs? Top 10, top 20, top 30, top 40?
[/quote]

Easily top 20, probably top 10 if you take into considertion the lack of competition were up against compared to most clubs.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Up untill recently Peterborough United have been playing most of their clubs entire history in the 3rd and 4th tier of English football, thus making Norwich the far more attractive and obvious choice for people who may be located between Norwich and Peterborugh, so with all do respect to them they have never been a threat to us in terms of battleing for supporters in the Norfolk and Suffolk region, surely that is obvious? As usual tom your argument is flawed, now give it it a rest aye?

[/quote]

The fact remains that King''s Lynn is nearer to Peterborough than Norwich and that as from next season PUFC will be playing in the Championship thus making them the more attractive option for ''potental'' support . Besides, King''s Lynn has it''s own football club that gets good local support considering the size of the place.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The fact remains that King''s Lynn is nearer to Peterborough than Norwich and that as from next season PUFC will be playing in the Championship thus making them the more attractive option for ''potental'' support . Besides, King''s Lynn has it''s own football club that gets good local support considering the size of the place.

[/quote]

Potental? Another ''spelly'' mistake.....I think you and Bodger are the same person!.....and you both up at the wee hours at the same time.

[quote user="West_London_Canary"]

[quote user="Badger"]

What do you mean by bigger than most clubs? Top 10, top 20, top 30, top 40?[/quote]

Easily top 20, probably top 10 if you take into considertion the lack of competition were up against compared to most clubs.

[/quote]I agree top 20 but I think top 10 is pushing it a bit. I agree about lack of competition but this needs to be offset against lower population and poor roads etc.

Tom, Kings Lynn is part of City`s catchment area because the club attracts alot of support from that area (and yes, i know this for a fact).  If you don`t understand this then you don`t know a great deal about our club.  You haven`t answered where you think the 200k or so people of the Yarmouth and Lowestoft areas go to watch their footy.  Do they swim over to Holland?

Now how about going over to the Derby boards and giving them your ludicrous patronisation?  A City with the same urban population of Norwich (INCLUDING suburbs before you quote your stupid 125k), getting 30,000 near the foot of the Champs.  Why?  Because they are a county club with a decent history and support- the same as Norwich.  Both clubs have plenty of potential to get significantly more given a modicum of success.

At the risk of sounding controversial =- catchment areas - who cares ?  At the extreme end, the poster Dicky drives up from Hampshire, I''m sure other clubs have similar fans.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="West_London_Canary"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I''m originally from West Norfolk and know for a fact that Norwich has a very good following from that area, unlike Peterborough and Boston who are traditionally very unpopular in that neck of the woods.Even places like Wisbech and Cambridge are home to plenty of Norwich fans, so that blows your theory out of the water....

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Tom, Kings Lynn is part of City`s catchment area because the club attracts alot of support from that area (and yes, i know this for a fact).  If you don`t understand this then you don`t know a great deal about our club.  You haven`t answered where you think the 200k or so people of the Yarmouth and Lowestoft areas go to watch their footy.  Do they swim over to Holland?

Now how about going over to the Derby boards and giving them your ludicrous patronisation?  A City with the same urban population of Norwich (INCLUDING suburbs before you quote your stupid 125k), getting 30,000 near the foot of the Champs.  Why?  Because they are a county club with a decent history and support- the same as Norwich.  Both clubs have plenty of potential to get significantly more given a modicum of success.

[/quote]

Can''t argue with any of that Mr Carrow. I know for a fact that many of the people I regularly travel away with are from Lynn, Yarmouth and Lowestoft areas. I would imagine that if you could find out the ratio of ST holders from the between City and County one or two folk would get a surprise. In fact we have strong and active support from a lot further than that. Norwich and Norfolk is a special place and I believe many more "Ex Pats" stay loyal than do from other counties.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Generally speaking, the further away people live the less likely they will become Norwich fans - yet you want to include people that live more than an hour''s drive away and NCFC isn''t even their nearest football league club. On your argument, you might as well include Norwich in the Ipswich catchment area because a number of people in Norwich support Ipswich. In fact, Norwich is closer to Ipswich than King''s Lynn.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Generally speaking, the further away people live the less likely they will become Norwich fans - yet you want to include people that live more than an hour''s drive away and NCFC isn''t even their nearest football league club. On your argument, you might as well include Norwich in the Ipswich catchment area because a number of people in Norwich support Ipswich. In fact, Norwich is closer to Ipswich than King''s Lynn.

[/quote]You fail to acknowledge the historical county links between its people and its main football club.  Take Suffolk for example, even though Haverhill is closer to Cambridge, and Sudbury closer to Colchester, I''m willing to bet more people in those towns support Ipswich than their closer cross border teams.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

More complete simplistic bilge.  I include them because like it or not it is a fact that we get lots of fans from those areas.  This is down to local media coverage, lack of easy access to other top clubs or sports, and the fact that Norwich is a vibrant City with the biggest economy in the Eastern region, the best nightlife and best shopping.  I grew up in Lowestoft and know for a fact that most people there see Norwich as their "centre", many never even go to Ipswich- to be blunt, there`s nothing there (and you could extend this well into Suffolk).

You seem to have a very poor knowledge of NCFC, but a very detailed knowledge of Bristol tom......where is our CE from again?  Ah yes, Bristol.  Are you a relation tom?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

More complete simplistic bilge.  I include them because like it or not it is a fact that we get lots of fans from those areas.  [/quote]

LOL face it, the club have done well to attract so many new fans to games. Even during the glory days of finishing 3rd in the Premier League the average NCFC attendance was only 16,467.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Can''t argue with any of that Mr Carrow. I know for a fact that many of the people I regularly travel away with are from Lynn, Yarmouth and Lowestoft areas. I would imagine that if you could find out the ratio of ST holders from the between City and County one or two folk would get a surprise. In fact we have strong and active support from a lot further than that. Norwich and Norfolk is a special place and I believe many more "Ex Pats" stay loyal than do from other counties.

[/quote]Indeed. I was born but have never lived in Norwich. Grew up in Suffolk, spent most of my adult life in Nottingham but a long family history was and still is from Norwich and it has a special place in my heart. I know at least 10 other people from Nottingham who may never live in Norfolk again but will follow City through thick and thin.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed. I was born but have never lived in Norwich. Grew up in Suffolk, spent most of my adult life in Nottingham but a long family history was and still is from Norwich and it has a special place in my heart. I know at least 10 other people from Nottingham who may never live in Norfolk again but will follow City through thick and thin.
[/quote]

So you were born in Norwich and your family is from Norwich which proves my point that the main catchment area is Norwich.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Indeed. I was born but have never lived in Norwich. Grew up in Suffolk, spent most of my adult life in Nottingham but a long family history was and still is from Norwich and it has a special place in my heart. I know at least 10 other people from Nottingham who may never live in Norfolk again but will follow City through thick and thin.[/quote]

So you were born in Norwich and your family is from Norwich which proves my point that the main catchment area is Norwich.

[/quote]Obviously the main catchment is from Norwich, I was actually agreeing with Nutty that many ex-pats stay loyal. A good few of the fans I know from Nottm have no conection with Norwich in any way, strangely enough they seemed to be attracted by us being seen as different to many run of the mill clubs.

Norwich fans come from far and wide. It''s all about family connections or certain events sparking an interest. I was born in Colchester, but my family moved to Beccles when I was four. My dad took me and my younger brother to Carrow Road, simply because he wanted to watch some football. He wasn''t a fan to start with. NCFC grew on him and I fell in love with football on my first visit.

I know people who started supporting because of the colours of the team. That''s gospel. I know people who have moved here from other parts of the country and have come along, more to watch a game than anything and fallen under the spell.

A few years ago the board conducted a survey of regular fans, including season ticket holders and those on their merchandising database. Guess what, there were more regular attenders from outside the city, than within its walls. Food for thought.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]LOL face it, the club have done well to attract so many new fans to games. Even during the glory days of finishing 3rd in the Premier League the average NCFC attendance was only 16,467. [/quote]Tom you probably aren''t aware but in this simple statement you are guilty of looking at one statistic in isolation and attempting to use that to prove your point. If you look at the chart of attendances I reproduce below you''ll clearly see that an increase in the region of 40-50% in the clubs attendance over the period Auntie Delia has been at the club is actually pretty well in line with the NATIONAL AVERAGE increase in attendance and not a phenomenen restricted too and enjoyed solely by NCFC.I know you are not particularly comfortable with statistics but look at the second column which indicates the national average attendance figure for the Championship. The average attendance increase from 1995 to 2008 was from 10,882 to 17,023 an increase (on average) of 56.4%Apply that 56.4% increase to our club which enjoyed attendances of around 16,500 in 1995 and you achieve an expected attendance today of 25,806 for the club to simply achieve the national average.Okay there are lots of factors being disregarded here, not in the least that we have reached maximum capacity at the ground so will never know what the true attendance figure could have reached without capping.The fact remains that you claim the board have done an outstanding job by increasing attendances 50% but the facts prove that the board have been beneficiaries of a national trend as for a variety of reasons football became more popular as a paying spectator sport and we as a club have simply stayed in line with the national average during this period.

Political Economy of Football

Home    

About    

World Soccer    

Statistics    

Football Clubs    

Archive    

Links

Average Attendances - English Football Divisions - 1994/95-2007/08

Season

FA Premier

Div 1

Div 2

Div 3

Total

2007/08

2006/07

2005/06

2004/05

2003/04

2002/03

2001/02

2000/01

1999/00

1998/99

1997/98

1996/97

1995/96

1994/95

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

More complete simplistic bilge.  I include them because like it or not it is a fact that we get lots of fans from those areas.  [/quote]

LOL face it, the club have done well to attract so many new fans to games. Even during the glory days of finishing 3rd in the Premier League the average NCFC attendance was only 16,467.

[/quote]

Delia has a nephew called Tom . . . draw your own conclusions [;)]

Tom, i`m not going to keep repeating myself.  When Chapelfield was built it was stated in the press (after criticism saying Norwich didn`t need another mall) that Norwich was the centre for 1 million people.  If it applies to shopping it applies to footy.  The club have said that over 50% of its support comes from outside the city.  NCFC are the main sporting focus of the biggest selling local newspaper in the country (the county-wide EDP).  Doncaster stated that there was demand for 35,000 per week in the promotion/Prem seasons which further supports my argument.  We regularly had crowds higher than now in the sixties and seventies and as Buckethead has pointed out, everyone took a big hit in the eighties and nineties.

I`ve already said the clubs marketing/ticketing policies have been good but the fact is they are tapping into a huge captive market.  It is stating the bleedin` obvious tom, but you obviously don`t like it therefore you are not going to accept it.

its quite clear Tom that you agree that the board are incompetant.. my post lays claim to that and you do nothing to defend them,

your arguement has been blown out of the water and i suggest you go and make the boards cup of tea and fetch their biscuits.. as you clearly work for the club

jas :)

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

I`ve already said the clubs marketing/ticketing policies have been good but the fact is they are tapping into a huge captive market.

[/quote]

My argument is that the Board have done a good job of that and deserve some credit for it even though things have not been good with managers.