Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

The Most Unpopular Post of the Year - My View

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

Tom,

Whats that go to do with your belief that Bath is many times bigger than Norwich.

Keep digging the hole.

[/quote]

I never said that Bath was many times bigger than Norwich.

Never mind the populations of Bristolshire and Norwichshire Tom, how far will you travel to keep your employers happy?You have only ever started a few posts on this board, I reproduce them here.''History lesson'' posted at the height of Cullumgate.[quote user="tom cavendish"]

Delia Smith and MWJ became majority shareholders in 1997-98.

The club finished 15th in the Championship and the average attendance was 14,445.

Last season the team finished 16th - one place worse than in 1997-98 but the average crowd was 24,527 - more than 10,000 higher.

Delia and Co have done a brilliant job to achieve that. They can''t

do much about what happens on the pitch other than appoint/sack

managers and give them a competitive budget.

I''m stunned by the lack of respect shown towards Delia and Co. on

this forum. They are fans too so why can''t everyone be polite about

them and show some respect?

[/quote]''A few of my thoughts'' again at the height of Cullumgate.[quote user="tom cavendish"]

I hope this is worth a read...

PC wants Delia to stay on the board - or in other words didn''t offer to buy her out.

It looks like he is only offering 20m to be spent on players in return for control of the club.

Also, what if the £20m for players is only a loan to the club?

If so, he''d get control of the club for nothing, £20m to spend on players, but the club would owe him £20m.

If PC wants control of the club, then he should pay the proper price

(peanuts to him) or as a billionaire he could easily give a few million

pounds towards the team. Surely he would do that if he was such a big

fan?

Let''s not forget that Norwich City is such a well run club that it is envied by fans of many, many other football clubs.

Much of that is down to Delia and Co who have transformed the club

for the better in many areas. The club has really become a central part

of the local community and has attracted many new fans as a result.

It is only really on the pitch that the club has had some problems.

Delia and Co can''t really do too much about that other than

appoint/sack managers and set a budget.

Give Delia and Co a break. They are genuine fans so at least be polite and show respect when debating.

[/quote]''This Messageboard'' (Roedergate)[quote user="tom cavendish"]

It seems obvious that a lot of the postings are from Ipswich fans pretending to be Norwich fans.

[/quote]''Support for Delia'' (Jan 09 Roeder/Gunngate)[quote user="tom cavendish"]
Delia has helped save the club from going bust.

Delia has invested millions of her own money into the club.

Average crowds are 10,000 higher than when Delia took over.

Now rated by many in the game as the best run club in the country.

The club has business interests that help provide extra funds for the team.

The stadium has been extensively redeveloped.

The playing budget given to the management is very competitive.

Therefore she has done a brilliant job.

Delia does not select the team, nor decide upon tactics, and does

not decide which players are bought and sold. She does not even have

much of a say in appointing managers as she leaves that to others.

As for billionaire Peter Cullum why has he not even given money to ''help the club'' fund even a single player? Carl Moore has done that.Cullum says he would help if the club went into Administration - the club would then be dirt cheap and sat on prime land.

Remember, Ipswich fans would love Delia to leave Norwich and there

are Ipswich fans on here pretending to be Norwich fans complaining

about Delia.
[/quote]And now there''s another dilemma at the club we have ''The most unpopular post of the year''[quote user="tom cavendish"]

The Board have backed managers with as

much money as possible and then some. It is just a shame for

everyone that the managers were not very good. The Board even got Dave

Stringer to help them make a choice. Even so, Roeder did save the club

from relegation when it looked like relegation certs, so even he was a

very good choice at the time.

Regardless, many clubs make the same managerial mistakes as the

average job time for a football manager is about 18 months. It is

obviously very hard to get a good manager - which is why Worthy was

given as long as possible before he was driven out by fans.

I find it laughable that fans accuse the Board of spending too much

money on players wages whilst others say the club lacks ambition. Which

is it to be?

It is up to a manager to spend his budget wisely - and that obviously hasn''t happened.

Some fans talk of the potential of Norwich City, but Norwich can

only support a medium sized club as Norwich does not have a huge local

population. The stadium is nearly full for most games so Norwich City

is not far from its potential off the pitch. Therefore, off the pitch

the Board have done a good job to help reach the potential.

Take Bristol for example, Norwich City get higher crowds than

Bristol City & Bristol Rovers added together, and Bristol has a

massive local population many, many times bigger than Norwich. Go talk

to those clubs about the meaning of potential.

What''s next? drive out Delia and Co without a wealthy replacement

and then see the club become the next Luton, Notts County, or Oxford

Utd? Is that what you guys want?

[/quote]Do you work for the Club Tom?

[quote user="Buckethead"]Never mind the populations of Bristolshire and Norwichshire Tom, how far will you travel to keep your employers happy?

You have only ever started a few posts on this board, I reproduce them here.

''History lesson'' posted at the height of Cullumgate.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]

The club finished 15th in the Championship and the average attendance was 14,445.

Last season the team finished 16th - one place worse than in 1997-98 but the average crowd was 24,527 - more than 10,000 higher.

Delia and Co have done a brilliant job to achieve that. They can''t do much about what happens on the pitch other than appoint/sack managers and give them a competitive budget.

I''m stunned by the lack of respect shown towards Delia and Co. on this forum. They are fans too so why can''t everyone be polite about them and show some respect?

[/quote]

''A few of my thoughts'' again at the height of Cullumgate.

PC wants Delia to stay on the board - or in other words didn''t offer to buy her out.

It looks like he is only offering 20m to be spent on players in return for control of the club.

If so, he''d get control of the club for nothing, £20m to spend on players, but the club would owe him £20m.

If PC wants control of the club, then he should pay the proper price (peanuts to him) or as a billionaire he could easily give a few million pounds towards the team. Surely he would do that if he was such a big fan?

Let''s not forget that Norwich City is such a well run club that it is envied by fans of many, many other football clubs.

Much of that is down to Delia and Co who have transformed the club for the better in many areas. The club has really become a central part of the local community and has attracted many new fans as a result.

It is only really on the pitch that the club has had some problems. Delia and Co can''t really do too much about that other than appoint/sack managers and set a budget.

Give Delia and Co a break. They are genuine fans so at least be polite and show respect when debating.

[/quote]

''This Messageboard'' (Roedergate)

It seems obvious that a lot of the postings are from Ipswich fans pretending to be Norwich fans.

[/quote]

''Support for Delia'' (Jan 09 Roeder/Gunngate)

Delia does not select the team, nor decide upon tactics, and does not decide which players are bought and sold. She does not even have much of a say in appointing managers as she leaves that to others.

As for billionaire Peter Cullum why has he not even given money to ''help the club'' fund even a single player? Carl Moore has done that.Cullum says he would help if the club went into Administration - the club would then be dirt cheap and sat on prime land.

Remember, Ipswich fans would love Delia to leave Norwich and there are Ipswich fans on here pretending to be Norwich fans complaining about Delia.
[/quote]

And now there''s another dilemma at the club we have ''The most unpopular post of the year''

The Board have backed managers with as much money as possible and then some. It is just a shame for everyone that the managers were not very good. The Board even got Dave Stringer to help them make a choice. Even so, Roeder did save the club from relegation when it looked like relegation certs, so even he was a very good choice at the time.

Regardless, many clubs make the same managerial mistakes as the average job time for a football manager is about 18 months. It is obviously very hard to get a good manager - which is why Worthy was given as long as possible before he was driven out by fans.

I find it laughable that fans accuse the Board of spending too much money on players wages whilst others say the club lacks ambition. Which is it to be?

It is up to a manager to spend his budget wisely - and that obviously hasn''t happened.

Some fans talk of the potential of Norwich City, but Norwich can only support a medium sized club as Norwich does not have a huge local population. The stadium is nearly full for most games so Norwich City is not far from its potential off the pitch. Therefore, off the pitch the Board have done a good job to help reach the potential.

Take Bristol for example, Norwich City get higher crowds than Bristol City & Bristol Rovers added together, and Bristol has a massive local population many, many times bigger than Norwich. Go talk to those clubs about the meaning of potential.

What''s next? drive out Delia and Co without a wealthy replacement and then see the club become the next Luton, Notts County, or Oxford Utd? Is that what you guys want?

[/quote]

Do you work for the Club Tom?
[/quote]

Already had him sussed out Buckethead, deff a club lacky. And he''s so desperate to keep his thread going that he keeps looking for any possible reason to post on it. Truly sad, but hey Tom, every time you post on this thread, I will bump the Heart FM to keep it ahead of yours [:D]

[quote user="Buckethead"]Never mind the populations of Bristolshire and Norwichshire Tom, how far will you travel to keep your employers happy?

Delia and Co have done a brilliant job to achieve that. They can''t do much about what happens on the pitch other than appoint/sack managers and give them a competitive budget.

I''m stunned by the lack of respect shown towards Delia and Co. on this forum. They are fans too so why can''t everyone be polite about them and show some respect?

[/quote]

If PC wants control of the club, then he should pay the proper price (peanuts to him) or as a billionaire he could easily give a few million pounds towards the team. Surely he would do that if he was such a big fan?

Much of that is down to Delia and Co who have transformed the club for the better in many areas. The club has really become a central part of the local community and has attracted many new fans as a result.

It is only really on the pitch that the club has had some problems. Delia and Co can''t really do too much about that other than appoint/sack managers and set a budget.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Delia does not select the team, nor decide upon tactics, and does not decide which players are bought and sold. She does not even have much of a say in appointing managers as she leaves that to others.

Remember, Ipswich fans would love Delia to leave Norwich and there are Ipswich fans on here pretending to be Norwich fans complaining about Delia.
[/quote]

And now there''s another dilemma at the club we have ''The most unpopular post of the year''

The Board have backed managers with as much money as possible and then some. It is just a shame for everyone that the managers were not very good. The Board even got Dave Stringer to help them make a choice. Even so, Roeder did save the club from relegation when it looked like relegation certs, so even he was a very good choice at the time.

Regardless, many clubs make the same managerial mistakes as the average job time for a football manager is about 18 months. It is obviously very hard to get a good manager - which is why Worthy was given as long as possible before he was driven out by fans.

I find it laughable that fans accuse the Board of spending too much money on players wages whilst others say the club lacks ambition. Which is it to be?

Some fans talk of the potential of Norwich City, but Norwich can only support a medium sized club as Norwich does not have a huge local population. The stadium is nearly full for most games so Norwich City is not far from its potential off the pitch. Therefore, off the pitch the Board have done a good job to help reach the potential.

Take Bristol for example, Norwich City get higher crowds than Bristol City & Bristol Rovers added together, and Bristol has a massive local population many, many times bigger than Norwich. Go talk to those clubs about the meaning of potential.

What''s next? drive out Delia and Co without a wealthy replacement and then see the club become the next Luton, Notts County, or Oxford Utd? Is that what you guys want?

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I don''t work for the club and have never even met any of the board. I just recognise that the Board have done a lot off the pitch to help improve the club in the community and attract fans and I wouldn''t like the club to go back to the days of low crowds etc. The main mistake the Board have made is in appointing managers (and most clubs make the same mistakes), apart from that they have done a good job IMHO.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="Buckethead"]Never mind the populations of Bristolshire and Norwichshire Tom, how far will you travel to keep your employers happy?

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Already had him sussed out Buckethead, deff a club lacky. And he''s so desperate to keep his thread going that he keeps looking for any possible reason to post on it. Truly sad, but hey Tom, every time you post on this thread, I will bump the Heart FM to keep it ahead of yours [:D]

[/quote]

Sorry to spoil your fantasy but I run my own business and have never even met any of the current Board before. I met Gordon Bennett a couple of times, and a former neighbour of mine used to be a steward at the club. That is about as far as any links go.

Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom. How many times does it need repeating to you? Saying they''ve done well at the off-field stuff while on field the club has gone tits up is completely ridiculous.

[quote user="TheFineCity"]Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom. How many times does it need repeating to you? Saying they''ve done well at the off-field stuff while on field the club has gone tits up is completely ridiculous.
[/quote]

Apart from appointing a manager and giving him money to spend, the Board can''t do much to influence what happens on the pitch. They don''t do the scouting, don''t sign the players, don''t make team selections, don''t coach the team, don''t decide upon the tactics, don''t make substitutions etc. They shouldn''t and don''t interfere in team affairs as that is what the manager is there to do.

Agreed that the debate has gone off track, and the point is that the Board have done very well to attract fans to the club considering Norwich is a small City 

[/quote]

With a catchment area of 1 million people and without the competition that large cities have.  

[quote user="beachbum"]

Tom Cavendish should be our new board member.

He will fit in really well as he has about as much ambition for our club as the rest of them.

The "little Norwich "mentality is killing our club.

I am not surprised we are in the position we are given the lack of lead from the top, they almost give the players excuses to fail with their statements.

Delia calls us little Norwich

Doncaster says we cant compete financially in the Championship.

Doncaster say s "investors arent exactly queing up"

Great sales job guys and great motivation for all of us.

Norwich are in an excellent place to be a bigger club (were not eactly small now)

We have a large existing fan base.

A great exclusive catchment area 1million plus.

A growing City.

No other professional sport as competition for customers.

What we dont have is any drive at the top.

[/quote]

WELL SAID!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="Badger"]

1    London    7,172,091    City
2    Birmingham    970,892    City
3    Liverpool    469,017    City
4    Leeds    443,247    City
5    Sheffield    439,866    City
6    Bristol    420,556    City
7    Manchester    394,269    City

8    Leicester    330,574    City
9    Coventry    303,475    City
10    Kingston upon Hull    301,416    City
11    Bradford    293,717    City
12    Stoke-on-Trent    259,252    City
13    Wolverhampton    251,462    City
14    Nottingham    249,584    City
15    Plymouth    243,795    City
16    Southampton    234,224    City
17    Reading    232,662    Town
18    Derby    229,407    City
19    Dudley    194,919    Town
20    Newcastle upon Tyne    189,863    City
21    Northampton    189,474    Town
22    Portsmouth    187,056    City
23    Luton    185,543    Town
24    Preston    184,836    City
25    Milton Keynes    184,506   
26    Sunderland    177,739    City
27    Norwich    174,047    City
28    Walsall    170,994    Town
29    Bournemouth    167,527    Town
30    Southend-on-Sea    160,257    Town
31    Swindon    155,432    Town
32    Huddersfield    146,234    Town
33    Poole    144,800    Town
34    Oxford    143,016    City
35    Middlesbrough    142,691    Town
36    Blackpool    142,283    Town
37    Bolton    139,403    Town
38    Ipswich    138,718    Town
39    Telford    138,241    Town
40    York    137,505    City
41    West Bromwich    136,940    Town
42    Peterborough    136,292    City
43    Stockport    136,082    Town
44    Brighton    134,293    Town
45    Slough    126,276    Town
46    Gloucester    123,205    City
47    Watford    120,960    Town
48    Rotherham    117,262    Town
49    Cambridge    113,442    City
50    Exeter    106,772    City
51    Eastbourne    106,562    Town
52    Sutton Coldfield    105,452    Town
53    Blackburn    105,085    Town
54    Colchester    104,390    Town
55    Oldham    103,544    Town
56    St Helens    102,629    Town
57    Crawley    100,547    Town

[/quote]

You forgot Bath. [:D][:D]
[/quote]

He didn''t forget it. It''s been done to death. [:D]

[/quote]

Its too much for the attention span of a Cranky Yanky! Lol!

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Desert Fox"]

YC,

Really?

How about the fact that the claims of Tom are incoveniently and laughably untrue.

[/quote]

If you do not believe the census data then the population of the ''travel to work area'' is a fair like for  like indicator of the local population for a football club. For Norwich it is 376,500. For Bristol it is 1 million.

[/quote]

Firstly you fail to understand that NCFC supporters come from various parts of Norfolk and elsewhere not just Norwich and the close areas such as Hellesdon etc. In one of the documents relating to the possible reorganisation of the councils in Norfolk you will see the population for Norfolk is far higher than 376k (If I have time I will look this figure up and come back with it next week). Furthermore Norwich City Council produced a document relating to shopping in the City and the catchment population was at least one million (not unrealistic given the population of Norfolk alone).

No I don''t work for the club and have never even met any of the board. I just recognise that the Board have done a lot off the pitch to help improve the club [/quote]

I only go to watch the FOOTBALL! 

I''m not interested in Catering

I''m not interested in Spin!

I''m not interested in the non entertaining land

I''m not interested in the non entertaining Spine Rd.

BTW the Community work is done by most clubs its nothing special to NCFC.

I only go to watch the FOOTBALL!  Get it?

Norwich City are rated as one of the top few clubs in the country for family and community efforts which in turn helps encourage more people to follow the club - which brings extra money for the playing side to help provide your entertainment.

Norwich City are rated as one of the top few clubs in the country for family and community efforts which in turn helps encourage more people to follow the club - which brings extra money for the playing side to help provide your entertainment.

[/quote]Quite correct didn''t we win the Football League Family Excellence Award for 2008-2009 for our efforts?

(Along with the following clubs:Birmingham CityBurnleyCardiff CityCharlton AthleticCoventry CityDerby CountyDoncaster RoversIpswich TownPlymouth ArgylePreston North EndQueens Park RangersReadingSheffield UnitedSouthamptonSwansea CityWatfordWolverhampton Wanderers ).

[quote user="TheFineCity"]Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom. How many times does it need repeating to you? Saying they''ve done well at the off-field stuff while on field the club has gone tits up is completely ridiculous.[/quote]

Apart from appointing a manager and giving him money to spend, the Board can''t do much to influence what happens on the pitch. They don''t do the scouting, don''t sign the players, don''t make team selections, don''t coach the team, don''t decide upon the tactics, don''t make substitutions etc. They shouldn''t and don''t interfere in team affairs as that is what the manager is there to do.

[/quote]Apart from? I would say that''s a pretty big job and something for which they have now failed 3 times, even more if you want to look before the Worthington era to people like Hamilton. It seems like the whole concept of responsibility starts at the top is lost on many of our supporters including yourself. We now find ourselves in League 1, more heavily in debt than anytime in our history, with an inexperienced manager who brought us down and knowing this board probably has a good shout to be appointed fulltime. We have little to no money to spend and with no sign of external investment coming in. This is the legacy of the smith-wynn jones regime. But it''s all ok because our stadiums quite nice and we have some nice restaurants. I despair, I really do...P.S. Tom, I hear Gordon Brown is looking for someone to take over his PR. Send him this thread and you''ll have a ready made job in the new labour bulls**t department!

[quote user="TheFineCity"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[quote user="TheFineCity"]Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom, Norwich City FOOTBALL Club Tom. How many times does it need repeating to you? Saying they''ve done well at the off-field stuff while on field the club has gone tits up is completely ridiculous.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Apart from? I would say that''s a pretty big job and something for which they have now failed 3 times, even more if you want to look before the Worthington era to people like Hamilton. It seems like the whole concept of responsibility starts at the top is lost on many of our supporters including yourself. We now find ourselves in League 1, more heavily in debt than anytime in our history, with an inexperienced manager who brought us down and knowing this board probably has a good shout to be appointed fulltime. We have little to no money to spend and with no sign of external investment coming in. This is the legacy of the smith-wynn jones regime. But it''s all ok because our stadiums quite nice and we have some nice restaurants. I despair, I really do...

P.S. Tom, I hear Gordon Brown is looking for someone to take over his PR. Send him this thread and you''ll have a ready made job in the new labour bulls**t department!
[/quote]

I''m not happy about the managerial appointments but most clubs make the same mistakes, and the Board have done very well in other areas of the club. Getting rid of them will only make matters worse unless there is someone better with a lot more money to take their place. Just for starters, the club would need someone to guarentee the £20m loan or pay it off.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

Quite correct didn''t we win the Football League Family Excellence Award for 2008-2009 for our efforts?

[/quote]

Norwich City are holders of the ''Family Club of the Year Award'' for the Championship.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

Quite correct didn''t we win the Football League Family Excellence Award for 2008-2009 for our efforts?

[/quote]

Norwich City are holders of the ''Family Club of the Year Award'' for the Championship.

[/quote]

Isn''t Delia''s nephew, called TOM?.......

I believe that the increase in attendance at Carra, had a lot to do with the marketing expertise of the ''recently relocated to MK Dons for whatever reason'' "Andrew Cullen"....

[/quote]

In other words.... a soppy transvestite of a set up which doesn''t know what it is......

It''s a FOOTBALL CLUB and that should take priority above all things. Sheds full of new age happy clappies is not the way forward....and Norwich City was a COMMUNITY facility with it''s roots in the City long before Smith ever came along and buggered it up.

To claim she has selflessly gathered fans to her breast is total bollox basically........ 

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

In other words.... a soppy transvestite of a set up which doesn''t know what it is......

It''s a FOOTBALL CLUB and that should take priority above all things. Sheds full of new age happy clappies is not the way forward....and Norwich City was a COMMUNITY facility with it''s roots in the City long before Smith ever came along and buggered it up.

To claim she has selflessly gathered fans to her breast is total bollox basically........ 

[/quote]

So do you want to turn the clock back to an average of 14,500 fans rather than 24,500?

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Isn''t Delia''s nephew, called TOM?.......

I believe that the increase in attendance at Carra, had a lot to do with the marketing expertise of the ''recently relocated to MK Dons for whatever reason'' "Andrew Cullen"....

[/quote]

Cullen did a great job and he said when leaving that the Board had been fantastic and had fully supported and encouraged him.

So do you want to turn the clock back to an average of 14,500 fans rather than 24,500?

[/quote]

Yes please Tom.

I think you really do need the benefit of hindsight to realise that the only time this club was truly run with ''prudence and ambition'' was back in the pre 20,000 season ticket holder days we just didn''t know it until we saw waste and squander.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]Quite correct didn''t we win the Football League Family Excellence Award for 2008-2009 for our efforts?[/quote]

[/quote]Rather a hollow victory in the circumstances of us not actually being in the Championship.I''d have taken six dirty, nasty, gritty league points over an awards dinner any day.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

Yes please Tom.

I think you really do need the benefit of hindsight to realise that the only time this club was truly run with ''prudence and ambition'' was back in the pre 20,000 season ticket holder days we just didn''t know it until we saw waste and squander.

[/quote]You can''t really mean this surely?

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rather a hollow victory in the circumstances of us not actually being in the Championship.

I''d have taken six dirty, nasty, gritty league points over an awards dinner any day.
[/quote]

But there is no choice to be made between family awards or 6 points.

[quote user="Buckethead"]

Yes please Tom.

[/quote]

I''ve been laughing my head off at some of the things Tom''s written on this thread - but you''re wrong here. Very wrong. That we have so many more fans is a good thing, and further underlines how awful a job the board have done for a club with our gates to get relegated. Meanwhile, under Robert Chase, we weren''t run with "prudence and ambition" at all. Instead, we were run for the most part stably, but with shocking over-expenditure on non-essentials and a good deal of luck. Luck which finally ran out in a very big way.