Sign in to follow this  

The reality is that Sunday was one of the saddest days of my life and then on Monday my father died. This is not a piece trying to put things into perspective as the reality is that life does that on it''s own.

I loved my father dearly and probarly never told him that enough. The truth is that I didn''t really know him as well as I should have done through circumstances  of my parents splitting when I was very young like many thousands of  similar people. 

When I was younger I supported Spurs as my best mate did at the time. My father took me to my first game when I was about ten and I remember clearly many times standing next to the pylons in the corner between the Barclay and the South Stand and also standing at the front of the South stand at pitchside before becoming  season ticket holders in the River End. I soon became hooked on Norwich City and remain so to this day. I have many memories standing next to him at Wembley at the Milk Cup Final as well as at the two semi-finals against Ipswich and at Villa park in the FA Cup semi-final on that terrible Hillsborough day. Most of my memories of us together were following our beloved club as well as almost every telephone call since I moved abroad centered on the clubs current standing.

I am sorry if some people think that this piece is not appropriate on this forum but my father loved the club as much as I do and I know that next season my Dad will be looking down and cheering us on even more so. In a book I have just read, it finished by saying that " Dying is no big deal, the least of us will manage that. Living''s the trick" My Dad did live and he will remain with everyone who knew him.

I will try to end this on a lighter note although I must admit I do not feel that way. When we got relegated from the Premier League my wife said that at least next year you will see a few more wins. She has not said anything this time. Maybe the reality has hit her too. Maybe it was not a lighter note to end on after all.

My Dad might have gone so it will be up to me to shout, curse and cheer on his behalf. I hope it is the latter more so than not as I will always remember him with a smile on his face and a loud chant of "Come On You Yellows".

Thank you if you have read this and OTBC. 

Sorry for your loss.

Don''t apologise - sharing memories about football is entirely appropriate.

I''m sorry to hear about your Dad. Lets hope that next season is a massive improvement so he has something to smile upon [:)]

may he rest in peace and hang his colours on St Peters Gate. (hope i got the saints name right not being a believer myself...)It puts everything in perspective, as it should....our club is not dead and never will it be.  One only has to look at the break away United side or AFC Wimbledon.No one can ever or will ever destroy our team and if the board and players show the determination and spirit of the fans then we will have no problem bouncing back...ten points on saints and Charlton are liable to lose as many players as us.OTBC and sorry for your loss again.

My Dad died the summer of our UEFA Cup season. The first thing I did when the final whistle went in Munich at the end of our 2-1 win was have a chat with him, along the lines of "are you watching Dad?, We beat the bloody Germans! Us!" Football and Dads are inseperable. My 18 year old son is now as nuts about NCFC as me and we shared Sunday together - thats what life is. Don''t apologise - rejoice that you had football to share, and cheer, shout and curse even louder now.

Don''t care what league we are in. OTBC forever.

Sorry for you and your family, let''s hope this season we get some pride instilled back in our players and even if all results don''t go our way we actually see that fire and passion again.

I wish my Dad was a Football fan. He took me to my first game but only went because I wanted to go. My mum is a Norwich fan but only goes very very rarely nowadays. Due to my parents splitting up, I dont see him as much as I did 7 or so years ago, only go round his once or twice a week, which is alot better then most kids or teenagers get to see there Dads, but its still tough. It''s hard to talk to him, we get along but we rarely have serious convosations. I could imagine that if we went to football it would be something different to talk about, and therefore would make us alot closer. I go with one of my best mates who I rarely see outside of football, due to me being busy with Assignment work and the distance between where we live. I can imagine that if he were to die, I would think exactly the same thing as what most of you think about your Dads. He''s been there with me through the highs and the lows and we both have yellow and green in our blood. Bonds through football with families, mates, and even the husband can be the foundation of any of them relationships, and we should appreciate these because it isn''t the same after tragic events like these.

Sorry for the loss guys.

Canary Abroad, please accept my condolences & I know exactly how you feel as my Dad passed awy in November! Football is a great bond between Father & son & I will will never forget some of the great games we went to together starting with the promotion season of 86 (my first season). Our final game together was Sheffield Utd at home this season just weeks before he passed away & I''m so glad he managed to go even though it wasn''t easy for him to travel to the ground & that his final match was a victory. I was convinced we wouldn''t go down this season just because he wouldn''t let it happen from up there... He''s probably still arguing with the powers that be about the outcome right now!! [:)]

My condolonces to you my friend hope your farther R.I.P.

Apart from the sad news you first announced with all respect,i then started to read what seemed to be a right up on my own youth upbrining with 2 minor differences,it was my mother that took me as she is yellow through & through so my blood has been yellow/green the moment mum & dad got jiggy [+o(].and the other i was in the corner of the river end.But the parent split,the best mate spurs fan,and your memoreys of early Carra Rud years i just felt i had to mention this as i found it all so familiar.May i ask how old you are CA ? 

The relationship between football, a father, and a son really is something quite special and I hope it''s something that I share with my children at some point in the future. I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you one 4, for your best wishes and to everyone that has replied. This year I will be 44 and therefore have many good and afraid more bad memories of watching the yellows. One thing is for sure, though many things in life will change but never your team.

Always the optimist next season will be the big one Smile [:)]

Message for Canary Abroad, Mark, Tears rolled down my eyes as I read your post.  I Would love to keep in touch by email.. me haylee76@gmail.com Love your niece Haylee xx

Sorry that you''ve lost your Dad and hope that in time  the pain eases for you.

I lost my Dad many years ago but he also loved our club and was the one who got me interested. I can just imagine him up there throwing his green cushion down in frustration just like he used to do in the City Stand when things went wrong.

brings a tear to my eye my father took me to my first match at carrow rd in 1966 stood in much the same place under the floodlight pylon in the south stand sadly he past away in 2005 now have to report to him of our sad demise most sundays luckily he was there that night when we beat man utd 2-0  in 2005